Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs (1256 Views)

Pls Help: My Final Year Project Is Killing Me / Vb 6.0 Codes To Trap And Compare Dates / Vb Is Killing Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs by digitalafrica: 8:47pm On Sep 04, 2014
Low bandwidth and expensive access limit a lot what you can do with Internet in Africa. Therefore, if you want to build a successful web solution for African audience it should be lightweight using mostly text and a little bit of images. It’s advised to avoid using voice or video.

Unfortunately, even if you are successful building this kind of lightweight website you’ll fail, because there is a hidden trap.

A text based Internet works very well in the western or eastern world because of 99% literacy rate. People can read and write. In Africa, there is no such thing. In many countries the illiterates made the majority of the population. They don’t know how to write and read. A text based website is of no use for them.

There is an additional group of people who are literate or semi-literate but don’t like to write or read. Like Steve Jobs said it “People don’t read anymore”, and when it comes to Africa the situation is even worse. My estimate is that these 2 groups of illiterates and people who don’t like to read would amount to more than 70% of African population.

That’s the trap. To reach a profitable audience in Africa you need to use voice and video. Unarguably, voice and video are the only certain ways to reach people in Africa. But, because of low bandwidth and expensive Internet access, you can’t use them. On the other hand if you build a text based solution, your audience is very limited (to city hipsters, and the African diaspora).

There is no audience for online business in Africa. The very people who will make you millionaire are not online.

Many African Internet entrepreneurs discover this sad truth only after spending lots of money and time building their online solutions.

There are numerous possible solutions to that trap, and it’s possible to work around them. However, we have to keep in mind that even a widespread, free, and unlimited access to Internet is not a solution, because it won’t solve the illiteracy issue.

There is a big market for literacy neutral platforms where people can communicate with each other using online images, icons, illustrations and voices, contrary to text-based social networks like Facebook or Twitter.

Entrepreneurs who will take on this challenge and execute it well will be rewarded with a highly scalable profitable business. As an example, my grandfather would listen to a voice commercial, and call me to go to the market to check out the product. It won’t happen with a text ad or a display copy!

European culture is based on the written word, while African culture is more oral and visual. African entrepreneurs who will avoid importing blindly European model to Africa, but leverage their unique knowledge of the African market will be rewarded with much more profitable business. Investing in voice and image enabled search are one of the several ways to go.

Link - http://www.siliconafrica.com/the-trap-that-kill-african-internet-entrepreneurs/
Re: The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs by naijatechworld: 8:42am On Sep 05, 2014
Nice Article.
Re: The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs by lucianohase(m): 8:54am On Sep 05, 2014
digitalafrica: Low bandwidth and expensive access limit a lot what you can do with Internet in Africa. Therefore, if you want to build a successful web solution for African audience it should be lightweight using mostly text and a little bit of images. It’s advised to avoid using voice or video.

Unfortunately, even if you are successful building this kind of lightweight website you’ll fail, because there is a hidden trap.

A text based Internet works very well in the western or eastern world because of 99% literacy rate. People can read and write. In Africa, there is no such thing. In many countries the illiterates made the majority of the population. They don’t know how to write and read. A text based website is of no use for them.

There is an additional group of people who are literate or semi-literate but don’t like to write or read. Like Steve Jobs said it “People don’t read anymore”, and when it comes to Africa the situation is even worse. My estimate is that these 2 groups of illiterates and people who don’t like to read would amount to more than 70% of African population.

That’s the trap. To reach a profitable audience in Africa you need to use voice and video. Unarguably, voice and video are the only certain ways to reach people in Africa. But, because of low bandwidth and expensive Internet access, you can’t use them. On the other hand if you build a text based solution, your audience is very limited (to city hipsters, and the African diaspora).

There is no audience for online business in Africa. The very people who will make you millionaire are not online.

Many African Internet entrepreneurs discover this sad truth only after spending lots of money and time building their online solutions.

There are numerous possible solutions to that trap, and it’s possible to work around them. However, we have to keep in mind that even a widespread, free, and unlimited access to Internet is not a solution, because it won’t solve the illiteracy issue.

There is a big market for literacy neutral platforms where people can communicate with each other using online images, icons, illustrations and voices, contrary to text-based social networks like Facebook or Twitter.

Entrepreneurs who will take on this challenge and execute it well will be rewarded with a highly scalable profitable business. As an example, my grandfather would listen to a voice commercial, and call me to go to the market to check out the product. It won’t happen with a text ad or a display copy!

European culture is based on the written word, while African culture is more oral and visual. African entrepreneurs who will avoid importing blindly European model to Africa, but leverage their unique knowledge of the African market will be rewarded with much more profitable business. Investing in voice and image enabled search are one of the several ways to go.

Link - http://www.siliconafrica.com/the-trap- that-kill-african-internet-entrepreneurs/
U r right...

1 Like

Re: The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs by Laryokeke: 4:10pm On Sep 06, 2014
your reasoning is sound, bro

1 Like

Re: The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs by digitalafrica: 4:41pm On Sep 06, 2014
I thought the same.
Re: The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs by barapistis(m): 5:33pm On Sep 08, 2014
great post

these guys seems to always do a proper research than the people in the system
Re: The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs by digitite: 8:25pm On Sep 08, 2014
He made a valid argument with good points.
Re: The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs by mubarak70: 3:57pm On Sep 11, 2014
Thank's op for this informative post, time to redirect my ideaa to art work and images.
Re: The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs by BetaQuick: 9:23pm On Sep 12, 2014
I dont really like to read. Can someone explain this article with a video or voice pls
Re: The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs by GodMode: 10:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
Rubbish

That's their opinion...

But that's none of my business.

(1) (Reply)

Simple Pagination In PHP / Please Guys Is There Any Php Or Javascript Whatsapp Group I Can Join? / Computer Science Graduates And Programmer How Much Do You Make

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.