Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,510 members, 7,816,233 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Stop Worrying About What People Think About You - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Stop Worrying About What People Think About You (1465 Views)

How To Stop Worrying. / What Do You Think About This Adage In This Age? / How To Stop Worrying What Other People Think About You! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by LaurelP(m): 9:24pm On Sep 04, 2014
We are all guilty. Every day from the moment we wake up, we live our lives caring what other people think of us.

We accept the status quo for what it is because everyone around us does. We tip toe our way through life by doing things in order to please others, not because it's what we believe in. Eventually our actions, appearances, and lives become molded by how we think other people perceive us. How are these pants going to make me look? What will my colleagues think if I spoke out? Are those people talking shit behind my back? If I take this job, what will my friends and family think of me?

Just writing that paragraph alone gave me a headache. It's exhausting. It's dreadful. It has to stop. Living a life that follows the ideal notions of what other people think is a terrible way to live. It makes you become the spineless spectator who waits for other people to take action first. It makes you become a follower. Worst of all, it makes you become someone who doesn't take a stand for anything.

Today is the last day we live a life dictated by others. Today, we're going to get to the bottom of the truth. Today is the day we stop giving a Bleep

Stop Caring About What Others Think, and Get Back your self Respect

No One Really Cares

Believe it or not, we're not that special. We go through our days thinking about how other people might be judging us. But the truth is—those people are thinking the exact same thing. No one in today's "smartphone-crazed" society has time in their schedule to think more than a brief second about us. The fact of the matter is, when we do have time get our thoughts straight, we're too busy thinking about ourselves and our own shortcomings—not others.

A study done by the National Science Foundation claims that people have, on average, 50,000 plus thoughts a day. This means that even if someone thought about us ten times in one day, it's only 0.02% of their overall daily thoughts. It is a sad but simple truth that the average person filters their world through their ego, meaning that they think of most things relating to "me" or "my." This means that unless you have done something that directly affects another person or their life, they are not going to spend much time thinking about you at all.

I've always enjoyed watching performers trying to hustle for some change at New York City train stations. These guys simply don't give a F@$%. But the more interesting observation I made is how the spectators react. Rather than watching the actual performers, most people are looking around to see how other people are reacting. If people were laughing, they would start laughing too. But if people weren't paying attention, they would also pay no mind.

Even when provided with the blatantly obvious opportunity to judge someone, people are still thinking about how others may perceive them. Once you understand that this is how people's minds works, it's a big step towards freedom.

You Can't Please Everyone

It's impossible to live up to everyone's expectations. There will always be people—no matter what we say or how we treat them—that will judge us. Whether you're at the gym, at work, taking the train, or even online playing Call of Duty. Even now it's happening. You will never be able to stop people from judging you, but you can stop it from affecting you.

Stop Being a People Pleaser

Think about the worst thing that could possibly happen when someone is judging you or what you're doing. I guarantee that chances are—nothing will happen. Absolutely nothing. No one is going to go out of their busy lives to confront us, or even react for that matter. Because as I mentioned before, no one actually cares. What will happen is that these people will actually respect you for claiming your ground. They may disagree with you, but they'll respect you.

Start standing up for what you believe in—causes, opinions, anything. You're going to have people that disagree with you anyways, so why not express how you truly feel? I've learned that it's better to be loved by a few people you care about, than to be liked by everyone. These are family, friends, your spouse—the people who love you for who you are, and the people who will be there for you during your worst times. Focus on these people. They're the only people that matter.

You Reap What You Sow

Worrying too much about what other people think can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, because the way we think starts to become the way we behave.

These individuals become people-pleasers and are overly accommodating to others, thinking it will stop them from being judged. In fact, the opposite is true. Most people don't like push-overs and are turned off by it. The behavior we use in an attempt to please others, can actually cause the opposing effect. This means that if you're a push-over, then you're going to be attracting others in your life who are also push-overs. Vice versa. This can be quite a dangerous path to go down if you don't recognize its consequences.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-stop-giving-a-f-ck-

1 Like

Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by priscaoge(f): 9:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
In a nutshell,always be yourself. Don't waste ur life living another person's life. We are all unique in our own ways. Seems my PM is related to this thread!!!

1 Like

Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by LaurelP(m): 9:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
priscaoge: In a nutshell,always be yourself. Don't waste ur life living another person's life. We are all unique in our own ways. Seems my PM is related to this thread!!!

Are u sure u read d post dear?
Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by TRADELYN: 9:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
grin grin grin
OP, most of your threads are very amazing...

*Researching...*
Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by squaddy(m): 10:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
LaurelP:

Hahahhahaha..now this is Bleep.ing hilarious grin
Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by LaurelP(m): 10:12pm On Sep 04, 2014
TRADELYN: grin grin grin
OP, most of your threads are very amazing...

*Researching...*

Lolz..
Tradelyn... Always researching
Pls try and come up with a theory o

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by priscaoge(f): 10:24pm On Sep 04, 2014
LaurelP:

LaurelP:
Even when provided with the blatantly obvious opportunity to judge someone, people are still thinking about how others may perceive them. Once you understand that this is how people's minds works, it's a big step towards freedom.

You Can't Please Everyone

It's impossible to live up to everyone's expectations. There will always be people—no matter what we say or how we treat them—that will judge us. Whether you're at the gym, at work, taking the train, or even online playing Call of Duty. Even now it's happening. You will never be able to stop people from judging you, but you can stop it from affecting you.

Stop Being a People Pleaser

Think about the worst thing that could possibly happen when someone is judging you or what you're doing. I guarantee that chances are—nothing will happen. Absolutely nothing. No one is going to go out of their busy lives to confront us, or even react for that matter . Because as I mentioned before, no one actually cares. What will happen is that these people will actually respect you for claiming your ground. They may disagree with you, but they'll respect you.
Start standing up for what you believe in—causes, opinions, anything. You're going to have people that disagree with you anyways, so why not express how you truly feel? I've learned that it's better to be loved by a few people you care about, than to be liked by everyone . These are family, friends, your spouse—the people who love you for who you are, and the people who will be there for you during your worst times. Focus on these people. They're the only people that matter.

Back to ur question,No I didn't OPEN THE THREADtonguetongue!

1 Like

Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by Beckybeky(f): 11:17pm On Sep 04, 2014
Hmm nice one
Front page material
Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by sholay2011(m): 11:23pm On Sep 04, 2014
Nice thread.

I stopped worrying about what others think sometime ago...and it's absolutely paying off. The people that one is trying to 'impress' sef have their own crosses to carry, so, you will discover at the end of the day, they weren't that paying attention and you didn't live YOUR life.

Life is too short to be unhappy. ..let alone because of ordinary human beings.
Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by Austyn44(m): 12:33am On Sep 05, 2014
Interesting!
Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by AdamaziShuga(f): 8:36am On Sep 05, 2014
LaurelP:

Lol..U are funny. She's right in a way @LaurelP,maybe she didn't break it down well. Based on what she said,when u live someone's life,u will always try to please everyone around u,doing things u don't wanna do on ur own because u don't wanna say 'NO' to them,u might end up going against Ur will just to impress them. But once u are been 'U',my dear u will not give a damn. U will not care what people will say.
@Priscaoge what was ur PM all about or is it this one?

@Topic It's actually what many people are facing today. U will live ur life pleasing people but @ d end of d day,u will be a bad person. No matter what,people can't be pleased so it's better u stop pleasing them.

1 Like

Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by priscaoge(f): 9:01am On Sep 05, 2014
AdamaziShuga:
Lol..U are funny. She's right in a way @LaurelP,maybe she didn't break it down well. Based on what she said,when u live someone's life,u will always try to please everyone around u,doing things u don't wanna do on ur own because u don't wanna say 'NO' to them,u might end up going against Ur will just to impress them. But once u are been 'U',my dear u will not give a damn. U will not care what people will say.

@Topic It's actually what many people are facing today. U will live ur life pleasing people but @ d end of d day,u will be a bad person. No matter what,people can't be pleased so it's better u stop pleasing them.

cheesycheesy Nope that's not d PM I used,my PM was about pleasing people and moving on with ur life.

Just like what @sholay2011 said,"The
people that one is trying to
'impress' sef have their
own crosses to carry, so,
you will discover at the end
of the day, they weren't
that paying attention and
you didn't live YOUR life"...

If u have been pleasing people all ur life,U will findout that they weren't appreciating all ur effort once u step on their toe. Make a small mistake n see how they will attack u. Live Ur life,don't live another person's life by trying to care about what people say. U are Unique!!!

LaurelP I love this post because it brought back so many memories!
Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by LaurelP(m): 9:23am On Sep 05, 2014
priscaoge:

cheesycheesy Nope that's not d PM I used,my PM was about pleasing people and moving on with ur life.

Just like what @sholay2011 said,"The
people that one is trying to
'impress' sef have their
own crosses to carry, so,
you will discover at the end
of the day, they weren't
that paying attention and
you didn't live YOUR life"...

If u have been pleasing people all ur life,U will findout that they weren't appreciating all ur effort once u step on their toe. Make a small mistake n see how they will attack u. Live Ur life,don't live another person's life by trying to care about what people say. U are Unique!!!

LaurelP I love this post because it brought back so many memories!

My dear thanks
Do u wanna share the memories?
Re: Stop Worrying About What People Think About You by LaurelP(m): 9:25am On Sep 05, 2014
AdamaziShuga:

Adamazi are you from Abia state?

(1) (Reply)

Adekunle Rafiat Folashade--your Original Nysc certificate --and Others / Meet The Tom Cruise Lookalike In The Pakistan Air Force / The GAME Break The Internet For Valentine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.