Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,479 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International (1728 Views)

Nigerian Military Buried Shiite Members Alive- Amnesty International. / Soldiers On Death Row Starved In Underground Cell —falana / Buhari Campaigns In Style In Imo With Open Roof Bus (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by MCUsman(m): 4:19pm On Oct 28, 2008
OWERRI—Amnesty International (AI) has described the 56 people currently on death row in Imo State, including one woman, three child-offenders and a 90-year old man, as “the highest figure in the country”.
Speaking when he led a delegation of AI officials to the Imo State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Prince Ken C.O. Njemanze, the leader of the team, Mr. Aster van Kregten, described the 90-year old man as “the oldest known death row prisoner in the country”.

While raising serious concerns regarding the death penalty in Imo State, the delegation also renewed its appeal concerning the case of Patrick Okoroafor, a 28-year old man, who has been in prison since the age of 14.

“It is a matter for regret that Patrick Okoroafor has spent his young life in prison and Amnesty International is very concerned about his health”, Aster van Kregten said.

The leader of the delegation, who doubles as Amnesty International’s researcher on Nigeria, urged the Attorney General to use all of the power at his disposal to achieve the long-overdue release of Okoroafor.

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by QuotaSyste(m): 5:21pm On Oct 28, 2008
If all those awusas that use to organize riot and kill Igbo people on daily bases in northern nigeria were arrested and prosecuted according to nigeria's constitution/laws, all nothern nigeria's states would have had the highest number of inmates on death row by now without any doubt. Go figure.
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:46pm On Oct 28, 2008
LOL, you do know that Igbos were not the only targets during the riots of Northern Nigeria. You do also know that it was a religion riot, and it went both ways. Many Muslim Hausa's were persecuted in Southern Kaduna and Jos-Plateau area. Muslims and Christians alike were seeking refuge during these turbulent times.
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by ifyalways(f): 9:09pm On Oct 28, 2008
14 years out of his 28 years spent in prison? shocked shocked shocked
what crime/offence?what future does he have now?na wao undecided
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by asha80(m): 10:34pm On Oct 28, 2008
14 years out of his 28 years spent in prison?
what crime/offence?what future does he have now?na wao

i know the guy.we stayed in the same estate in owerri.he was involved in the kidnapping of the daughter one Dr. Amamasi in owerri.negotiation went bad and the girl was killed.his accomplicies in that saga were all killed by firing squad.he was spared because he was underaged(16years) then.the kingpin of that kidnapping was one Obidiozo(son of otokoto).this was around 1996.anybody in owerri then would know what i am talking about.
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by DeepZone: 11:29pm On Oct 28, 2008
Does this mean that Imo state has the highest number of criminals in Nigeria or they have the best security squad that nabs criminals?
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by lucabrasi(m): 3:59pm On Oct 29, 2008
@poster
wats the point of this realli, seems like another tribal barb to me,anyway personally i think the death penalty/capital punishment should be totally abolished in nigeria,apart from america and a few others,nigeria is the only one still actively using it even though it has not dettered or prevented crime in any way shape or form rather it hardens and breeds more crime/criminals
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by MCUsman(m): 9:18pm On Oct 29, 2008
Even here in LIB igbos on death roll exceed lipsrsealed
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by ikeyman00(m): 10:55pm On Oct 29, 2008
if shaira practise what they preach, em i think half the northern should be amputated lipsrsealed
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by PepERSprAY: 11:44pm On Oct 29, 2008
MC Usman:

Were you an inmate? tongue
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by citizenY(m): 10:16am On Oct 30, 2008
[i]@MC

Don Allah kar ka bi halin mutanen nan. Its not good for the psyche cry cry cry
[/i]
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by Nobody: 10:22am On Oct 30, 2008
this is a very sad post.they will be in my prayers
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by ud4u: 12:30pm On Oct 30, 2008
MC Usman:

Now I know where you are heading to, you bloody tribaistic fellow. Were you an exconvict or an inmate. I guess you were. Next time be reasonable before you send a topic to avoid insult.
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 30, 2008
nigerians never seize to surprise me with their hatred for each other and corrupt attitude.
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by c33b33(m): 1:27pm On Oct 30, 2008
hehe!another tribal war!what is Oga Seun doing about the MOD. grin?!
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by lucabrasi(m): 2:50pm On Oct 30, 2008
there are death row inmates of all nigerian tribes both in and outside the country so i dont think tribal sentiments should be introduced ito this thread again like al the others,rather lets be matured and educated and face the underlying issues why there are death row inmateswho s cases are shakey and the state of criminal justice in nigeria or in this case imo state
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by PepERSprAY: 3:47pm On Oct 30, 2008
lucabrasi:

there are death row inmates of all nigerian tribes both in and outside the country so i don't think tribal sentiments should be introduced ito this thread again like al the others,rather lets be matured and educated and face the underlying issues why there are death row inmateswho s cases are shakey and the state of criminal justice in nigeria or in this case imo state
Not with McUsman and his deep hatred for southerners. Hausa red bororo goat tongue.

That's the problem whenever you ship an Ex nomad to Liberia to help guard the Nigerian consulate there at night while the ambassador is sleeping.
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by ikeyman00(m): 6:36pm On Oct 30, 2008
hah
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by c33b33(m): 4:00pm On Oct 31, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Not with McUsman and his deep hatred for southerners. Hausa red bororo goat tongue.

That's the problem whenever you ship an Ex nomad to Liberia to help guard the Nigerian consulate there at night while the ambassador is sleeping.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 31, 2008
This is one of the reasons I always feel reluctant to come to the politics section, every discussion is always reduced to where you come from in Nigeria.

More often than not, no substance in the discuss. Tribalist cry
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by comfort3: 3:45am On Apr 04, 2009
cool
Re: Imo With The Highest Number Inmates On Death Row—amnesty International by ud4u: 6:12am On Feb 26, 2023
ud4u:

Now I know where you are heading to, you bloody tribaistic fellow. Were you an exconvict or an inmate. I guess you were. Next time be reasonable before you send a topic to avoid insult.

Exactly

But I am surprised that both of us bears the same username in nairaland.

@ Seun Why

(1) (Reply)

Yar’adua Approves Deportation Of Vaswani Brothers - Customs For Probe / Why The Division? / Time For OPC, Bakassi To Clean Up Act And Join MEND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.