Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,147 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. - Music/Radio (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. (46844 Views)

Rebuttal: On Psquare And Why They Will Never Break Into The US Market / Akon Signs Wizkid,psquare And Tubaba / Psquare And 2face - Possibility (with lyrics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 05, 2014
rahazaqa: See this mumu. where was don ja when Dbanj won best artist in Africa in France? he was busy selling Loya milk,I guess. I don't know what Dbanj did to u,u always talk about him in every topic,especially the topic which is not related about him. Sometin must be wrong with u.
ode, from your name I can see you're a terrorist. I don't talk with terrorist.

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Dreyl(m): 7:49pm On Sep 05, 2014
Atmmachine: Nigerians are so disgusting..

Tell me what Jay Z,Rick Ross,Lil Wayne,Drake,Chris Brown do sing ?
They only sing about pucci,drugs & how they bought Bugatti & Lamborgini.

Americans worship Wizkid,Davido,D'banj.. As for Iyanya, they will even die for him.

If you ever say bad against someone's song, go sing your own let's know how many people who's gonna buy.

You can't even buy a pair of psquare's shoe.
i'm telling you guy,some people baffle me alot their stupidity is gigantic,they keep on hating/critisizing while the Duo smile to their banks,even though they sing crap,atleast their craps bring them enough liquidity and fame,nigerians mentality and the way they think sometimes baffles me,instead of them to hustle and be the next Dangote, they are busy hating on people that have already made it in life, pathetic!
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Dreyl(m): 7:58pm On Sep 05, 2014
Unekz: lolz...tel him oooo
Don't mind him,he should keep deceiving himself there.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Sep 05, 2014
b1327: bruh am not sayin dey can't break into america hiphop industry(not rap hiphop) but wit crap dey singin now bruh 'I don't think so' about d pple u mention eg fela dose 1 aint sayin crap dey talkin sensible thing so if we talkin music don't bring fela and co inside it

You honestly don't need street credibility for rap fans to accept you, especially when you're a foreign artist, you understand the culture and the essence, and you don't rap about gangster stuffs you absolutely have no clue about and you never lived. Drake is Canadian, with no street credibility - and he's arguably the biggest draw in rap music right now. Mark Morrison from the UK was a chart topper in America. K'naan is Somalian, and he's well respected in the rap community in America etc..

Anyway, your argument was off-point, and enough of going on a tangent with you. But being a great rap hip-hop artist has absolutely nothing to do with street credibility and being a gangster. Except maybe if you do gangster rap. Even with that, how many of the gangster rapper are/were real gangsters? Real gangsters who're active don't make music - they're either dead or in jail - and that's coming from a nyggah with stripes and stars from the streets/roads like the American flag. grin

2 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 05, 2014
Imagine comparing wizkid and Psquare undecided

shizzleStar:
gringrin peppyluv.....

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by shizzleStar: 8:35pm On Sep 05, 2014
peppyluv02: Imagine comparing wizkid and Psquare undecided

U dey mind the chicken? smiley
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 05, 2014
cheesy cheesy. You are wicked cheesy

uihebom: ode, from your name I can see you're a terrorist. I don't talk with terrorist.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by shizzleStar: 8:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
peppyluv02: cheesy cheesy. You are wicked cheesy

Nne esom gi n'azu
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 05, 2014
Nwanne ke kwanu?

shizzleStar:
Nne esom gi n'azu
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by shizzleStar: 8:51pm On Sep 05, 2014
peppyluv02: Nwanne ke kwanu?

adim mma.

E jim n'aka na aru di gi nma?
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 05, 2014
shymexx:

You honestly don't need street credibility for rap fans to accept you, especially when you're a foreign artist, you understand the culture and the essence, and you don't rap about gangster stuffs you absolutely have no clue about and you never lived. Drake is Canadian, with no street credibility - and he's arguably the biggest draw in rap music right now. Mark Morrison from the UK was a chart topper in America. K'naan is Somalian, and he's well respected in the rap community in America etc..

Anyway, your argument was off-point, and enough of going on a tangent with you. But being a great rap hip-hop artist has absolutely nothing to do with street credibility and being a gangster. Except maybe if you do gangster rap. Even with that, how many of the gangster rapper are/were real gangsters? Real gangsters who're active don't make music - they're either dead or in jail - and that's coming from a nyggah with stripes and stars from the streets/roads like the American flag. grin

pls d rappers u mention can u tell me where dey sign to(record label) so dat I can tell u abt d pple wo own it or did u think u can just wake up 1 day and go to interscope warner bros and d likes and dey just sign u a deal without passing through sompple or somtin about d gangsta u talkin bout if u com from d street u most salute d street lemme give u eg of wat am talkin bout 50cent is 4rm d street and a big city did u knw he commit a lot of crime dat can land him in jail but no is goin to no jail cos he knws d right pple in d fed wo can cover him and he too is goin to pay dem meekmill dat get arrested recently cos he fail is probation rule cos is just getin up or have u heard dat d likes of diddy dr dre jay z snoop d are been arrest NO cos dey unda d right pple wo can protect dem so b4 u can survive In d us u most be protected by a strong organisatn.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 05, 2014
All is well,my brother. smiley

shizzleStar:
adim mma.

E jim n'aka na aru di gi nma?

1 Like

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by icekidgodfrey(m): 9:23pm On Sep 05, 2014
uihebom: ode, from your name I can see you're a terrorist. I don't talk with terrorist.
YOU GOT ME CRACKED UP!!! OMFG!! HAHAHAHAHA
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by icekidgodfrey(m): 9:27pm On Sep 05, 2014
b1327: pls d rappers u mention can u tell me where dey sign to(record label) so dat I can tell u abt d pple wo own it or did u think u can just wake up 1 day and go to interscope warner bros and d likes and dey just sign u a deal without passing through sompple or somtin

I know where this is heading to; illuminati. cry say something new pls.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by icekidgodfrey(m): 9:29pm On Sep 05, 2014
shymexx:

oooh wordd?? CRIP! Stay strapped niqqa!
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 05, 2014
b1327: pls d rappers u mention can u tell me where dey sign to(record label) so dat I can tell u abt d pple wo own it or did u think u can just wake up 1 day and go to interscope warner bros and d likes and dey just sign u a deal without passing through sompple or somtin

Fam, I honestly don't think you understand what the hell you're yapping about...and I also don't understand. This is basically a case of you spouting ignorance, and getting me confused trying to decipher what you're saying. grin

- Music is universal and if you're going to imitate a genre of music, just make sure you understand it and make sure it's as good as the original - not that mediocre gimmick that Afrobeat is. It's good for naija/African folks who want a gimmick of the original that they can call their own...but people from the place where the culture is from will never take you seriously.

- Rap music isn't just about gangster rap, and most of the gangster rappers are just story-teller relating other people's stories and where they grew up. So, you don't need to be a gangster to be a gangster rappers. Apart from Easy-E, the other pioneers of gangsta rap were/are not even gangsters. Hip-hop is a culture and with hood/environment commentary/documentary - and all kinds of stories are allowed. That's why a K'naan can always talk about Somalia and Africa, and still be accepted.

- Naija artists need to create a different sound that's quintessentially Nigerian/African if they want international recognition. And if they want to imitate - at least they should have the required talent and knowledge of what they're imitating - and not the bad gimmick they keep churning out all the time. Gimmick is great for feeling good in the club, but outside that, it's noise to real music lovers.

Anyway, I still love Burna Boi...and a few catchy tunes here and there.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
icekidgodfrey: oooh wordd?? CRIP! Stay strapped niqqa!

Nah, I never cripped nor stayed cripping - not from that culture though there is a cripset affiliated to the yanks' crips in my neck of the woods. But as a younger, I was super-black and I played with that black bandana, reppin' the bits.

Past tense though, but once you earn those stars and stripes, they're forever with you. The codes, the scars, memories, lessons, and P's & Q's. Street smartness that no one can ever teach or take away from you.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by kingvicking(m): 9:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
Elnino4ladies: D song is borin..i luv TI part tho...

Did you even noticed the sang a pattern that will be easy for T.I to follow in? Give these guys a break, they tried
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 05, 2014
We are talking about music,what has terrorism has to do with this? lol.. u can see you are brainless. coward retard.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by BizBloke(m): 9:52pm On Sep 05, 2014
OP,

Your post is somewhat a sweeping generalization. My reason being that despite being averse to songs without deep lyrics (I'm not mentioning names), how about 'Bring It On' by P Square ft Dave Scott? They did a good job there; certainly not the best but it's worth an applaud.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 05, 2014
shymexx:

Fam, I honestly don't think you understand what the hell you're yapping about...and I also don't understand. This is basically a case of you spouting ignorance, and getting me confused trying to decipher what you're saying. grin

- Music is universal and if you're going to imitate a genre of music, just make sure you understand it and make sure it's as good as the original - not that mediocre gimmick that Afrobeat is. It's good for naija/African folks who want a gimmick of the original that they can call their own...but people from the place where the culture is from will never take you seriously.

- Rap music isn't just about gangster rap, and most of the gangster rappers are just story-teller relating other people's stories and where they grew up. So, you don't need to be a gangster to be a gangster rappers. Apart from Easy-E, the other pioneers of gangsta rap were/are not even gangsters. Hip-hop is a culture and with hood/environment commentary/documentary - and all kinds of stories are allowed. That's why a K'naan can always talk about Somalia and Africa, and still be accepted.

- Naija artists need to create a different sound that's quintessentially Nigerian/African if they want international recognition. And if they want to imitate - at least they should have the required talent and knowledge of what they're imitating - and not the bad gimmick they keep churning out all the time. Gimmick is great for feeling good in the club, but outside that, it's noise to real music lovers.

Anyway, I still love Burna Boi...and a few catchy tunes here and there.
don't get me wrong am not sayin rap is all abt gangsta. Money is wat everybody need includin d gangsta back in 2012 or 13 ross was beefin d GDs he was still tryin whether e can beef dem and go free but at last he went to settle tinz wit dem go listen 2 war ready ft jeezy he was salutin all d gangs dat link wit GDs. So u can do anytin witout settlin d gangs if u from d street and u from rich family u most have good connect if u want 2 survive

Me too I like som of burna boy song
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Toshibasexy(m): 10:06pm On Sep 05, 2014
as for me I like the video so stop hating
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Dexema(m): 10:10pm On Sep 05, 2014
Lanceslot: Yea! It seems like they shoot the video @ same location... I saw the video last night and can't help but smh for them, the song is not too bad (5/10), but the video is damn whack.

I second that point; song-ok(55 C),video-substandard(39 F) T.Is part wud get a (67 B) though.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by icekidgodfrey(m): 10:12pm On Sep 05, 2014
shymexx:

Nah, I never cripped nor stayed cripping - not from that culture though there is a cripset affiliated to the yanks' crips in my neck of the woods. But as a younger, I was super-black and I played with that black bandana, reppin' the bits.

Past tense though, but once you earn those stars and stripes, they're forever with you. The codes, the scars, memories, lessons, and P's & Q's. Street smartness that no one can ever teach or take away from you.

Yeah, i get it... like yougin. was caught up in the life once tho, got affiliated with GD n shit, frfr my bro rolled with the blood..
where u used to live?
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Toshibasexy(m): 10:40pm On Sep 05, 2014
ejeajo and bring it on will bang award like mad
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Bigsteveg(m): 10:47pm On Sep 05, 2014
4C2215131:

You mean to say constructive Criticism, not outright witch-hunting.

It depends on how u see it, probably, u might even be d one witch hunting.
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by sexzskil(f): 11:02pm On Sep 05, 2014
Despite how massive and recognised Westlife was/were worldwide, they couldn't break into the American market. Talking about sophistication, it is the US audience. Truth be told, our Nigerian so-called artistes can never be recognised there.

The guy that was talking trash about GLOBAL legends like Jay z, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Drake, etc should be shot in his throat
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Drahmah: 11:05pm On Sep 05, 2014
Ok. So, OP, you think psquare are finished because you do not like 'Ejeajo'. You also think the song is pointless and tasteless...as well as the video. Well, it is your opinion, and it's fine to hv one---it's part of your basic human rights.

What I learned from your post though, is that you're not a PSquare fan, so it's easy not to like their work. I'm sure you also had something similar to say about 'chop my money', 'e no easy', and 'do me'--- songs that went on to become the biggest hits out the continent.

Your argument was a little sensible until you said neither psquare nor any other Nigerian/African artist will break into the American entertainment market because the jiggas and the lil Waynes will not sit down and allow it.

Boy, really? Where were they when kevin little's 'turn me on' took over the planet? Why didn't they stop Sean paul? Or bob Marley the great? What about Rita Ora, Tinnie Tempah, seal? Maybe you think they all started in the states?

'Anybody can blow', in M.I's words. The world is a big stage, music is a big platform, anyone can make it big and break boundaries if their music is good, and they have the right connect.

A lot of people have become so accustomed to the stereotypes in Nigerian entertainment that the moment they see/hear something different, they get 'disappointed'. I think it's ironical that you want psquare to be more mature in their music, but failed to acknowledge that they actually did grow in their music by putting out two international standard tracks in "ejeajo" and "bring it on". Both songs are great, and I think any honest person would agree.

Now, You slam psquare for "tryin to break into the American market" by diversifying and improving
Their music, but I'm certain it's people like you that criticized them in the past for "making the same kind of songs".

I guess that's what being a star is about...you just can't please everyone.

3 Likes

Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 05, 2014
Rubbish people shaaA...if u think its easy come flow on mic...pee's are d best
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:08am On Sep 06, 2014
Drahmah: Ok. So, OP, you think psquare are finished because you do not like 'Ejeajo'. You also think the song is pointless and tasteless...as well as the video. Well, it is your opinion, and it's fine to hv one---it's part of your basic human rights.

What I learned from your post though, is that you're not a PSquare fan, so it's easy not to like their work. I'm sure you also had something similar to say about 'chop my money', 'e no easy', and 'do me'--- songs that went on to become the biggest hits out the continent.

Your argument was a little sensible until you said neither psquare nor any other Nigerian/African artist will break into the American entertainment market because the jiggas and the lil Waynes will not sit down and allow it.

Boy, really? Where were they when kevin little's 'turn me on' took over the planet? Why didn't they stop Sean paul? Or bob Marley the great? What about Rita Ora, Tinnie Tempah, seal? Maybe you think they all started in the states?

'Anybody can blow', in M.I's words. The world is a big stage, music is a big platform, anyone can make it big and break boundaries if their music is good, and they have the right connect.

A lot of people have become so accustomed to the stereotypes in Nigerian entertainment that the moment they see/hear something different, they get 'disappointed'. I think it's ironical that you want psquare to be more mature in their music, but failed to acknowledge that they actually did grow in their music by putting out two international standard tracks in "ejeajo" and "bring it on". Both songs are great, and I think any honest person would agree.

Now, You slam psquare for "tryin to break into the American market" by diversifying and improving
Their music, but I'm certain it's people like you that criticized them in the past for "making the same kind of songs".

I guess that's what being a star is about...you just can't please everyone.

.... thank you jare what about GAGNAM STYLE dont mind yeye people they never see anything good..
Re: On Psquare And Why Naija Artistes Will Never Break Into US Market. by Eruchalu3: 12:18am On Sep 06, 2014
haters ....the young man is busy making his money and u are here criticising them,what do u mean by they are flop this tym how many videos have u produced? U dnt have any right to judge they owe u no explaination if you dont like the music shut up and mind ur own business stop spoiling the mind of other fans.enemy of progress$

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Kingdom Wins Nigerian Idol 2021 (Season 6) / 10 Nigerian Artistes Who Defy The Usual Lyrics Of Butts And Boobs / Davido Performs At Eniola Badmus' 20 Years On Stage Party, Bows To Greet Kwam 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.