Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,478 members, 7,823,114 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Dame Patience Jonathan. Why The Title? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dame Patience Jonathan. Why The Title? (642 Views)

Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 / Has Anyone Heard A Word From Dame Patience Recently? / Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dame Patience Jonathan. Why The Title? by MisterMan(m): 7:19pm On Sep 05, 2014
Dame Patience Jonathan. Why the title? Every time this woman is being referred to, I keep hearing the title Dame. Is she really a Dame or people just don’t know the meaning of Dame? For avoidance of doubt, here are the different meanings of Dame:
noun
1. (initial capital letter)
1. the official title (emphasis mine) of a female member of the Order of the British Empire, equivalent to that of a knight.
2. the official title (emphasis mine) of the wife of a knight or baronet.
2. (formerly) a form of address to any woman of rank or authority.
3. a matronly woman of advanced age; matron.
4. Slang: Sometimes Offensive. a term used to refer to a woman:
Some dame cut me off and almost caused an accident.
5. Ecclesiastical. a title of a nun in certain orders.
6. a mistress of a dame-school.
7. Archaic. the mistress of a household.
8. Archaic. a woman of rank or authority, especially a female ruler.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dame
Note that definitions 2 thru 8 do NOT apply because this is a title; just like Mrs. Etc. The question is: Has Oga Jonathan been conferred with the title of knight. Perhaps my memory failed me, maybe she was a member of Order of the British Empire.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan. Why The Title? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 05, 2014
Does it pain your heart? cheesy

if not then let it go
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan. Why The Title? by Unionised(m): 7:55pm On Sep 05, 2014
OP, read through your post again cuz you've answered your own question...

(1) (Reply)

Past Report On Femi Fani-kayode / Nigerian Children Have Been Robbed Of A Future / Aggrieved Lagos Council Chiefs Petition EFCC Over Deduction Of N1.4bn From Their

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.