Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,001 members, 7,821,505 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills (34670 Views)

Channels TV Addresses Dame Patient As President Of Nigeria [photo] / Reuben Abati On Dame Patience In 2010 / Has Anyone Heard A Word From Dame Patience Recently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by obiem(m): 8:21pm On Aug 03, 2010
I was watching NTA internatonal yesterday when i saw the first lady addressing journalists on the achievements of the falconets who were beaten finalists in the just concluded FIFA under 19 female world cup. I was shocked when she said amidst glee'' Yes we are all happy for their effort, it is not easy to carry second in an international competition like this one''. This is not the first time she's blundering on national television agreed english is not our language but common, methink she needs english tutorials.  sad sad sad
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Eziachi: 8:35pm On Aug 03, 2010
obiem:

I was watching NTA internatonal yesterday when i saw the first lady addressing journalists on the achievements of the falconets who were beaten finalists in the just concluded FIFA under 19 female world cup. I was shocked when she said amidst glee'' Yes we are all happy for their effort, it is not easy to carry second in an international competition like this one''. This is not the first time she's blundering on national television agreed english is not our language but common, methink she needs english tutorials. sad sad sad

grin grin
You can't ask where she learn her Zebrudaya spoken english from. How you heard her husband too? He was said to be a proffessor. That is the evidence of all the quota graduates for you.

1 Like

Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 03, 2010
Go and sit down,in china they speak chinese ,in India they speak Hindi ,gujurati,marati,the grman speak and go to school in german .You dont have your own identity abeg forget.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by philip0906(m): 8:37pm On Aug 03, 2010
^^
whatz this one spewing? undecided y didn't she speak her local language 2 save us this embarassment
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Eziachi: 8:39pm On Aug 03, 2010
If I may ask, why is she addressed as a “Dame”? Is she a British subject or something? If I am not mistaken, that title Dame is the female equivalent of Sir for the British Knighthood, reserved only for British citizens/subjects.

Or is it part of the Nigerian obsession with big but meaningless titles.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by googles: 8:39pm On Aug 03, 2010
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

shey you, you think its easy to carry second ni ? it is too heavy na

in fact its as heavy as Mrs Jonathan  grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 03, 2010
philip0906:

^^
whatz this one spewing? undecided y didn't she speak her local language 2 save us this embarassment
Where did they make this [b]pot [/b]sef? undecided
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Eziachi: 8:49pm On Aug 03, 2010
olas2u:

Go and sit down,in china they speak chinese ,in India they speak Hindi ,gujurati,marati,the grman speak and go to school in german .You dont have your own identity abeg forget.
Sorry Sir, I rather stand up.
But in China, Germany and all the places you mentioned everything thought at school is based on that language including Chemistry, Maths, Physics and I don’t think Mrs Jonathan's Biology was thought in Ijaw or whatever language but English language.
It shows the low expectations you Nigerians has for your leaders, no wonder they gets away with murder.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 9:09pm On Aug 03, 2010
Its better to listen to the whole speech before passing Judgement. Because it is possible to take one line of a speech out of context if treated in isolation.

OP do you have the audio or video of this press confrence? or the lady giving a speech anywhere?

There is nothing wrong throwing in a little bit of broken english when speaking to Nigerians in other to drive home a point. Expecially when the occassion is not neccesarily a formal one. Even Obama does it when speaking to Americans on the capaign stump by speaking a bit of local slangs.

Even OBJ is a master of broken english in public and sometimes I love it when he does it.

So I will give the woman a pass on this one. And by the way the woman did not choose to be a public figure. She is only in public glare because she fell in love with a man called Goodluck Jonathan so many years back. I don't suppose anybody takes GMAT or TOEFL before getting married in Nigeria.

However I am more concerned at Jonathan's deficiency communication wise because he is the President and the Politician here. Not his wife. So lets give the woman a free pass.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by MT: 9:42pm On Aug 03, 2010
May God bless you Obiem for the post.

To be honest, English Language is sweet WHEN our dearest first lady has not spoken it. I have listened to her speak so many times, and believe me, apart from being heavily-accented, she is far from the mark. I dont claim to be an authority in the mastery of English Language, but I suppose if blunder will be made, it should not be in the class of Mrs Jonathan. It's simply not acceptable at that level.

I beg, what happens to her case with EFCC?. Just asking o undecided
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nchara: 9:49pm On Aug 03, 2010
I was watching NTA internatonal yesterday when i saw the first lady addressing journalists on the achievements of the falconets who were beaten finalists in the just concluded FIFA under 19 female world cup. I was shocked when she said amidst glee'' Yes we are all happy for their effort, it is not easy to carry second in an international competition like this one''. This is not the first time she's blundering on national television agreed english is not our language but common, methink she needs english tutorials.

OP, thanks. But your own written English is second rate.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 03, 2010
My dear, am tired too oh, worst for me is that i have to be there sometimes to listen to her live. The sad part is that she is such a nice person with s good heart but why she did not go to school when her husband was getting PHDs makes me wonder. Anyway, her husband adores and worships the groud she works on even with her bad grammer, perharps that is what gives her so much confidence. When a man loves a woman and treats her well, she will be so full of confidence no matter how other people see your short comings as long as her husband does not see it or comment she no go send
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by dayokanu(m): 10:07pm On Aug 03, 2010
"Does it eazi to carry second?"
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Jarus(m): 10:54pm On Aug 03, 2010
Dame is speaking Batu English
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by ProAnti: 11:03pm On Aug 03, 2010
English is not our first Language but I think public figures should go the extra mile to learn the act of public speaking.
Mrs Jonathan should employ a private tutor.

BTW,
Over 70% of the posts in this thread contains one error or another.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 11:26pm On Aug 03, 2010
Well, she no de carry last.  grin cool

BrokEnglijaw shoulld be taught in Aso rock too.  grin

Wetin dey dia sef?  cool
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by 0hsisi: 11:38pm On Aug 03, 2010
No be TTC Borokiri the woman go?

1 Like

Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Eziachi: 11:39pm On Aug 03, 2010
Pro Anti:

English is not our first Language but I think public figures should go the extra mile to learn the act of public speaking.
Mrs Jonathan should employ a private tutor.

BTW,
Over 70% of the posts in this thread contains one error or another.

You are very right. Even in Britain, most leader employs speaker makers to help them when they get into higher position that require public speaking. The art of public speaking for public figures cannot be under estimated.

I remember when Margret Thatcher first came to power as PM, her speaking voice/style was awful, as she speaks like a squeaking baby toy, but she had to remedy that with the help of experts and this an English woman.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by 0hsisi: 11:42pm On Aug 03, 2010
The husband is no better
We watched him sometime ago and my hubby and I cringed.
He was talking like a fisherman addressing his fishing buddies before setting off into the deep
Tufia!!

Still a zillion times better than OBJ who talks like he wants to yawn after every sentence
Sometimes you're left wandering if he's speaking English or Yoruba
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by DisGuy: 11:56pm On Aug 03, 2010
Its not poor its atrocious!!! Turai is 10 time better!! She should employ someone jare

what with the coarse voice as well, I think Governor Obi has the same thing as well- it think thats a medical condition
anyone?
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Beaf: 11:56pm On Aug 03, 2010
Nigeria has never had a well spoken leader (as far as the 2ndry English language is concerned).
I don't see the relevance of this topic.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by ladi02(m): 12:22am On Aug 04, 2010
Lol in Nigeria we believe if you cant speak English you are not educated grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by 0hsisi: 12:23am On Aug 04, 2010
Beaf:

Nigeria has never had a well spoken leader (as far as the 2ndry English language is concerned).
I don't see the relevance of this topic.

Thank you!!
There's a youtube clip of Turaya addressing some women in New York
Tamuno eh!
You will weep
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:30am On Aug 04, 2010
0hsisi:

Thank you!!
There's a youtube clip of Turaya addressing some women in New York
Tamuno eh!
You will weep

^^

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iopIG0o2O0&hl=en_US&fs=1"[/flash]
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:31am On Aug 04, 2010
^^
A na egosi nwata awo n'ikpo okwute, a na emetu ya aka. cool
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Okijajuju1(m): 12:32am On Aug 04, 2010
huh^
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:33am On Aug 04, 2010
Okija_juju:

huh^

I spoke in Nnewi dialect. No shaking.  cool

Translated it means "if you want to point out a toad (bufo regularis) in the midst of a heap of stones, you better touch it physically".
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Okijajuju1(m): 12:35am On Aug 04, 2010
Nwanna Asusu ghi di kwa egu!
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Nobody: 12:36am On Aug 04, 2010
Onlytruth:

^^

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iopIG0o2O0&hl=en_US&fs=1"[/flash]

This woman is just a stark illiterate.
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:36am On Aug 04, 2010
Okija_juju:

Nwanna Asusu ghi di kwa egu!

^

Exactly. You meant "asusu gi di kwa egwu".  cool
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Okijajuju1(m): 12:37am On Aug 04, 2010
Dalu!! Onye nkuzi!! grin
Re: Dame Patience Jonathan And Her Poor Communication Skills by Onlytruth(m): 12:38am On Aug 04, 2010
^^

You are welcome.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Recession: 3 Nigerian National Assets Buhari Must Not Sell- RMAFC / Obituary: Peter Obi's Aide, Valentine Obienyem Replies Omatseye / Tinubu Blames Chicago State University Clerk For Certificate Anomalies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.