Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,734 members, 7,827,696 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? (2129 Views)

(PHOTOS) Exclusively For Models: Tips & Warnings On Pageantry! / Another Form Of Beauty Pageantry In Nigeria / What's The Point Of Fixing Fake Eyelashes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by whizkid(f): 11:27am On May 09, 2005
In Nigeria today, we have so many beauty pageantry springing up here and there, but what is the point of these competitions? Apart from helping young girls gain fame and make quick money?

I think it is very degrading to the womenfolks, parading in swimsuit, (even the last Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria (MBGN) competition, the girls have graduated into wearing just pants and bras). They say beauty with brains, most of the girls couldn't even answer simple questions correctly.

Why should we allow men to 'use' us? I don't see them parading in pants in front of a large audience all in the name of competition. These are my views by the way, feel free to share yours.
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by solo2(m): 12:26pm On May 09, 2005
trish, this is a very good topic that you have just raised on this forum.

I do not see any reason why madness and immoral acts are being paraded on the front of viewers and T.V. sets only on the pretends of beauty pageantry. I guess that this is another way the devil is enslaving girls like those on the street with mini-skirks enslaving their bodies for money.
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by diakim(m): 1:01pm On May 09, 2005
M-O-N-E-Y. That is the point of those Beauty Pageantry.

The promoters want to make money, the girls also want money and fame. Also the audience want to have fun.

I am afraid to say that Beauty Pagentry has never been parts of African culture. The Americans may be comfortable with it, but not we Africans. This is because anything that tends to promote nudism or quasi-nudism is generally frowned upon in our society.

And I am even more afraid to say that this is just the beginning of these shows of shames. After Agbani Darego won the Miss World (?) contest, Nigerian girls all got interested in these Beauty Competition things. Even parents are not left out. They are the ones now encouraging their daughters to participate in these competitions.

What Nigerians don't know was that Agbani Darego winning the contest was the ploy of the Western worlds to catch Nigerians unaware, who have hitherto remain indifferent to Beauty Competitions.

Lets just pray that in our generation we don't start seeing girls driving in their cars or walking the streets in pants and bras only.
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by c0dec(m): 3:31pm On May 09, 2005
By nature, women are more attracted to quick money and wealth than any other creature. men just love pretty women. this show exists to satisfy both parties. i still it's still dumb though.
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by whizkid(f): 4:48pm On May 09, 2005
c0dec:

By nature, women are more attracted to quick money and wealth than any other creature.

Is that a fact or what? Do you have any scientific fact or otherwise to back this statement?
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by c0dec(m): 5:10pm On May 11, 2005
it's a fact. look around you. for instance, women are instinctively attracted to rich men, no matter how much they try to hide it. it's in their subconscious.

scientifically, this phenomenon is embedded in their DNA from birth.
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by mamba(m): 6:55pm On May 11, 2005
cOdec, I quite agree with you that women are attracted to money/rich men. I think this is peculiar to only Nigerian women, they are just so money hungry and can do almost anything for it ...

Getting back on topic, I think beauty pageantry is just a means of making quick cash for everyone involved, apart from the viewers who just want to see pretty girls grin ...
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 11, 2005
What's the point?  Well if u ask me, I'll say it's like the prolification of fake rappers in the country.  Every teenage boy watches/listens to a hip hop video/CD, likes it and thinks he can immitate it perfectly well.  Next thing he starts to call himself a rapper.  When he hasn't even learned the basics yet ... like rhyming. 

Same thing with beauty peagants.  Every teenage girl checks herself out, sees she has an ok booty and shape and wouldn't mind strutting her stuff for a few (or big, if they're lucky) bucks.  Without trying to learn the basics or having real love for the profession.

These beauty peagant organisers too just go into it for the money, nothing else.  Not because they want to advance some women or cultural values stuff.  Studio owners too, keep banging out these wack hip hop joints all for the money.

Solution before you get involved with anything get knowledgeable about it first, and love it.
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by Ra(f): 1:24pm On May 12, 2005
It's pathetic how you guys are quick to generalise and judge the Nigerian woman based on the few you have associated with in some capacity or the other and who happen to be greedy. Peculiar to Nigerian women!!!! Hate to burst your bubbles brother but Nigerian women can't even spell wealth compared to the love women from some other parts of the world have for money. Expand your horizon and you’ll concur.

I have digressed again but I can't bear to keep reading such unfounded aspersions cast on myself and fellow sisters. When next you find the temptation to make such statements irresistible, simply quote your personal experience (I.e. if you have any). Truth be known, I've met a few men in my time, as I’m sure other women have too, who are pathetically scrounging for what they can fleece off women. Now THAT makes me sick to my stomach but we don't generalise based on that, do we? Take your time o!

As for beauty pageant and all, quite like every other profession or trade, all parties concerned are in it for the money and the fame, where applicable. The girls are well aware of the drill and the scores before signing up for such shows and I say bearing their goods, so to speak, to the world is nothing but occupational hazard.
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by diakim(m): 9:54am On May 16, 2005
trae_z:

Solution before you get involved with anything get knowledgeable about it first, and love it.

Well said, trae_z. You need to love what you do, otherwise if you go into it for money-making purpose only, you will soon crash out. The question is, "How many of this girls going into Beauty Competition has taken Modelling as a career?".
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by solo2(m): 2:09pm On Jun 06, 2005
diakin, you are right, and you Codec is your reason enough why this girls should go on nude all for money. very soon will be seeing puting on only pants and bra walking on the streets just because they want to make money.
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by IAH(f): 12:24pm On Jun 10, 2005
Women are attracted to money. Agreed. Thank you.
So what are men attracted to? Poverty? Hunger?
Please answer this question honestly.
Re: Beauty Pageantry! What's the point? by cutechic1: 6:26pm On Jun 20, 2011
Nope, it's a way to promote hidden talents and get them modeling contracts. besides, the models or aspiring models get exposure. Money is just a sidekick that is, if you win or are a 1st, 2nd and 3rd runner-up.

(1) (Reply)

The Most Annoying Thing About Being A Model / Guys Can You Rock This Latest Wear? / Miss Anambra 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.