Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,921 members, 7,817,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Any Valid Arguments For The "My Discipline Is More Difficult Than Yours" Issue - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Any Valid Arguments For The "My Discipline Is More Difficult Than Yours" Issue (586 Views)

Any Valid Info / These Courses Are Difficult To Have First-class In. / Most Difficult Universities To Make First-Class In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Any Valid Arguments For The "My Discipline Is More Difficult Than Yours" Issue by 4C2215131: 10:24am On Sep 06, 2014
What I'm saying is, is there the possibility of say an average Engineering student who crosses over or decides to take a discipline in the Social Sciences or Arts faculty topping his/her class courtesy of him/her thinking Engineering courses from where such a one originates from are more 'involved' academically than the courses that they find themselves currently exposed to?

In a nutshell, what is the possibility that a 2.2 Engineering graduate will end up with a 2.1 or first class upon graduating with a degree in say International Relations or something of that nature in a Nigerian university?
Re: Any Valid Arguments For The "My Discipline Is More Difficult Than Yours" Issue by JuanDeDios: 8:31am On Sep 11, 2014
This touches on the matter of multiple intelligences. (See the theory of multiple intelligences propounded by Howard Gardner, a psychology prof at Harvard.) I know a guy who made 2.2 in engineering who would easily have made a 2.1 or even first class if he had studied chemistry, sociology or international relations. On the other hand, I know a guy who made 2.2 in engineering who would have made third class if he studied law or English.

Generally, there are multiple intelligences and people tend to be gifted in different areas. That’s why Einstein said if you judge a fish by its ability to climb trees you’d classify it a failure. However, there are people who tend to be intelligent across a few areas – in their WASSCE they would make As in English, Maths, Geography, French and on like that.

I would say engineering is practically tougher than law. Law is practically tougher than geography or international relations. Geography or international relations is practically tougher than sociology. But engineering and sociology are in different areas of study entirely and require different intelligences so you can find someone who does well in engineering and poorly in sociology. It depends on the individual’s area of strength.
Re: Any Valid Arguments For The "My Discipline Is More Difficult Than Yours" Issue by 4C2215131: 3:11pm On Sep 17, 2014
JuanDeDios: This touches on the matter of multiple intelligences. (See the theory of multiple intelligences propounded by Howard Gardner, a psychology prof at Harvard.) I know a guy who made 2.2 in engineering who would easily have made a 2.1 or even first class if he had studied chemistry, sociology or international relations. On the other hand, I know a guy who made 2.2 in engineering who would have made third class if he studied law or English.

Generally, there are multiple intelligences and people tend to be gifted in different areas. That’s why Einstein said if you judge a fish by its ability to climb trees you’d classify it a failure. However, there are people who tend to be intelligent across a few areas – in their WASSCE they would make As in English, Maths, Geography, French and on like that.

I would say engineering is practically tougher than law. Law is practically tougher than geography or international relations. Geography or international relations is practically tougher than sociology. But engineering and sociology are in different areas of study entirely and require different intelligences so you can find someone who does well in engineering and poorly in sociology. It depends on the individual’s area of strength.

Nice one, real nice.

(1) (Reply)

“nigeria @54:risky Republic Or Republic At Risk?” / OAU Releases 2014/2015 Admission Cut-off Marks. / Unical Merit List Out,2nd Batch Admission List&acceptance Fees_08146425061

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.