Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. - Web Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Web Market / Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. (1576 Views)

Attention Business Owners! Get A Free Professional Website Design Today! / A Free Platform for Bookstore Owners and Book Publishers / Do You Have Any Biz Idea(s) ? Be Our Next Celebrated Partner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Gbawe: 9:27am On Sep 07, 2014
http://www.tribune.com.ng/achievers/item/15261-nigerian-trio-celebrated-as-owners-of-biggest-online-job-site

Nigerian trio celebrated as owners of biggest online job site
06.Sep.2014

RONKE SANYA writes on how British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) celebrated the achievement of giants of Nigeria’s number one online recruitment website, Jobberman, started by the trio of Ayodeji Adewunmi, Olalekan Olude and Opeyemi Awoyemi, then as undergraduates, now, they own a multi-million naira business that has achieved so much feat and is still growing.

At a time a lot of youths resorted to using the internet for fraudulent activities, duping innocent victims of their hard-earned money, Ayodeji Adewunmi, Olalekan Olude and Opeyemi Awoyemi, all graduates of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun State, decided to create jobs for the teeming jobless youth and helped them find their dream jobs.

Their success journey started August 16, 2009, when university lecturers in Nigeria embarked on Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) strike, the three young undergraduates, who shared a burning desire to recreate and redefine job sourcing and recruitment in Nigeria and beyond, made the best use of the ASUU strike to start the recruitment website, Jobberman.

Primarily, sources jobs directly from companies and recruiting agencies and broadcasts them via the website, blog, email, partner websites and social networks. Job seekers search and apply for jobs by either visiting the website directly or through partner portals. Recently, has been described by Forbes as West Africa’s most popular job search engine and aggregator.

was set up to bridge the gap between opportunity and talent, creating a marketplace, where job seekers and employers in Nigeria can find one another quickly, easily, and cost-effectively.

Five years down the line, Jobberman, has today grown to become Nigeria’s No.1 recruitment website.

In recognition of this feat, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) captures the story of the founders in a documentary interview, on September 2, 2014, narrating the trio’s success story as a dream that started “from slow summer to massive start-up,” describing “a dream that started during a strike to become a multi-million dollar worth business estate, employing 125 people, and is still growing.”

According to BBC, “while Nigeria is Africa’s largest economy, it still has massive unemployment problems, in particular among young people, who are also more likely to be connected to the internet. Jobberman has become the single largest job placement website in sub-Saharan Africa, helping over 35,000 people find jobs within the last two years.

The number of companies using the site to find employees has grown from about 40 in 2009, to some 35,000, today.

Carrying between 500 and 1,000 jobs on the site everyday, the founders estimate that there are about 1,000 active users searching for a job at any given time.

Speaking with BBC in an interview, co-founder of Jobberman, Olalekan Olude said: “The growth has been tremendous, it is at rocket speed. One of the biggest challenges has been to keep up with the volume of work.”

Speaking on ways of overcoming fraud fears, Olude stated that there have been other challenges along the way.

“In the beginning, a lot of people did not trust an internet-based business because at that time, a lot of people were using the internet to perpetrate fraud here in Nigeria,” he says.

However, as other online businesses thrived and became trusted, so did Jobberman. Olude added that, “companies would dip their toe in the water with one or two postings and then when they trusted the site they would come back.”

In 2012, some of Jobberman’s clients wanted to use the site to find workers in Ghana and so the company took its first work outside Nigeria. Two years later, Jobberman is said to be the biggest online job site in Ghana, as well as Nigeria.

The company is now expanding its reach to Kenya with a partner called Brighter Monday. The partnership also gives it a footprint in Uganda and Tanzania.

BBC revealed further that some people actually find a job through the site without actually applying for one.

Amarachi Apakama, while narrating her story said she uploaded her details and was approached by a company to take the position of executive assistant at a mobile phone content company.

“That really changed my life,” she said. “It was a morale booster. It helped my confidence, the fact that my interests and my experience put together such a good job that I didn’t have to apply for.”

The BBC’s business teams across Africa also spoke with the founder, Ayodeji Adewunmi, who says: “It is incredibly fulfilling, helping people to become economically-empowered by getting job placements via Jobberman.

“One company recruited more than 80 per cent of their employees through the site. Another time, a director was able to hire a former colleague in the United States to come and work for his company here in Lagos. All amazing stories.”

Olude says: If you put food on the table by virtue of getting a job for someone, that person also fends for a mother or a brother and you create a multiplier effect within that household.

“Anytime we get to hear of such stories, we are very, very happy. It motivates us, it makes us look forward into the future and try and get more people to get more jobs.”

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by IGBOSON1: 9:34am On Sep 07, 2014
Congrats to them!

Shows hard work and initiative pays.......instead of sitting on your arsse waiting for handouts!!

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 07, 2014
Kudos to them! They should keep putting smiles on the faces of unemployed youths with their hardwork and making Nigeria proud.

God bless their hustle. cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Tolexander: 9:38am On Sep 07, 2014
Correct guys!

Seizing opportunity for themselves, creating employment for themselves from unemployement problem.

Who said one can't make sense out of nonsense?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Gbawe: 9:46am On Sep 07, 2014
IGBOSON1: Congrats to them!

Shows hard work and initiative pays.......instead of sitting on your arsse waiting for handouts!!

Indeed. There is so much to do in Nigeria for innovative young minds. Instead, all some Nigerian youths want to do is accumulate degrees upon degrees and seek a white collar/bank job that enables them to prance around in suit and tie all day feeling self-righteously important. Meanwhile, innovative and brave foreigners are still arriving Nigeria daily to identify opportunities and 'niche markets' they eventually take advantage of to make themselves very rich and successful.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Gbawe: 11:06am On Sep 07, 2014
berem: Kudos to them! They should keep putting smiles on the faces of unemployed youths with their hardwork and making Nigeria proud.

God bless their hustle. cool

Anywhere you go in the world, you can recognize opportunities if you keep an open mind and think innovatively to identify problems that face society. You can then provide solutions which will address real challenges while making yourself wealthy and successful in the process. This is what these guys did and Nigeria needs many more like them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Jakpon: 11:07am On Sep 07, 2014
Nice one. Congrats to them
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by docsholz(m): 11:32am On Sep 07, 2014
if this thread no go tribal make I..........
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 07, 2014
So proud to share one country with them, they have put smiles on millions of faces in Nigeria. We need to celebrate excellence wherever it's found only so can Nigeria move forward.
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Gbawe: 11:53am On Sep 07, 2014
docsholz: if this thread no go tribal make I..........

Only sad fools will take any ethnic connotation from the thread. Nigerian youths, the 'switched on' ones from every ethnic group, do this all the time. It is for all Nigerian youths to shun frivolity and pettiness to face what matters. Doing so will mean they can become the solutions to their own problems instead of waiting for some omnipotent messiah to come out of the cloud.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Ayekotoo(m): 11:54am On Sep 07, 2014
What creativity does to people. Kudos to the trio!
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 07, 2014
Very encouraging.......

Using the Internet for positive endeavors and making load of money from it is the way to go.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Ayekotoo(m): 11:56am On Sep 07, 2014
Gbawe:

Only sad fools will take any ethnic connotation from the thread. Nigerian youths, the 'switched on' ones from every ethnic group, do this all the time. It is for all Nigerian youths to shun frivolity and pettiness to face what matters. Doing so will mean they can become the solutions to their own problems instead of waiting for some omnipotent messiah to come out of the cloud.
I agree with you especially the bolded but some braggarts will disagree with you

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 07, 2014
Wow. So these are the guys behind the company? Jobberman is probably the most successful online venture in nigeria. Their branding and marketing strategies are topnotch.
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by deeptechcool(m): 11:59am On Sep 07, 2014
Jobberman s a penalty well-taken in a tough game.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Brahms(m): 12:04pm On Sep 07, 2014
Hmmmn!
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Gbawe: 12:10pm On Sep 07, 2014
deeptechcool: Jobberman s a penalty well-taken in a tough game.

I like how you put issues wittily. Seriously, the same Nigeria we curse is the same nation foreigners still flock to for the purpose of taking advantage of unique opportunities virtually no other nation of the world offers. We need to open our eyes to the opportunities around us and realise that nothing stops us from delivering solutions to our own problems.

I am currently doing something linking the tourism and hospitality drive of Osun State with the target market in the West i.e UK, Europe, USA et al and I was shocked to note no one had thought of it before or approached the State with similar. Anyway, spending time on personal development makes individuals more productive, more innovative and more visionary.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 07, 2014
docsholz: if this thread no go tribal make I..........

It cannot go tribal because the boys come from an ethnic group that does not brag. How about that......... grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Gbawe: 12:15pm On Sep 07, 2014
J12: Wow. So these are the guys behind the company? Jobberman is probably the most successful online venture in nigeria. Their branding and marketing strategies are topnotch.

Very very important concept you identify here. Get this right and it can be the difference that sets enduring growth and success apart from short-lived success or even failure.
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 12:16pm On Sep 07, 2014
Ayekotoo:
I agree with you especially the bolded but some braggarts will disagree with you

Exactly....... the part of Nigeria they come from do not brag anyway.
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 07, 2014
sandijey:

It cannot go tribal because the boys come from an ethnic group that does not brag. How about that......... grin
dis ur comment can make it to become a tribal tread.
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 07, 2014
Who knows weda those corp members Buhari and APC lynched in 2011 would have discovered the cure for ebola.

SMH

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Screwface(m): 3:27pm On Sep 07, 2014
Got my present job through that site.
kudos to them!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by ochejoseph(m): 3:42pm On Sep 07, 2014
We celebrate This trio and we continue to pray that Jobberman as a company will continue to expand beyond the shores of Africa !

This success story is a clear message to every misguided young person seating behind a computer and sending scam messages to emails and phones lines , it is also a message to young & talented information technology experts who have been blessed with unmatched IT abilities but chose to use it in building fake Bank site with the intention of fleecing octogenarians of their pensions and savings!

We must do all we can to change the Perception of Nigerian's online by making positive impact like these young men

Once again congratulations to the trio and best wishes to all of us ! www..twitter.com/ochejoseph

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 07, 2014
because their lies have been busted long time ago wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink
sandijey:

Exactly....... the part of Nigeria they come from do not brag anyway.
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 07, 2014
OkijaAmaka: because their lies have been busted long time ago wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

No because they are very cultured. Not mannerless like some people who get high on things that other people can do or have done as well kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by PaulJohn1: 7:35pm On Sep 07, 2014
Gbawe:

I like how you put issues wittily. Seriously, the same Nigeria we curse is the same nation foreigners still flock to for the purpose of taking advantage of unique opportunities virtually no other nation of the world offers. We need to open our eyes to the opportunities around us and realise that nothing stops us from delivering solutions to our own problems.

I am currently doing something linking the tourism and hospitality drive of Osun State with the target market in the West i.e UK, Europe, USA et al and I was shocked to note no one had thought of it before or approached the State with similar. Anyway, spending time on personal development makes individuals more productive, more innovative and more visionary.

I have thought about same long ago, using the existing annual Osun-Oshogbo festival as a starter to trap down those guys that are crazy about it from South American countries and spend their cash. That's why my final year studio design project while in school as an architecture was on tourism and hospitality in Osun, Oshogbo particularly.

I proposed a resort centre, built along the Osun river, just behind Osun-Oshogbo sacred groove. The name(Living spring resort) which I gave it, was gotten from the old motto of the state(State of the living spring) before Ogbeni came in and changed it to "Land of Virtue" undecided

The term "Living spring" as used before, was a reference to the status of Osun as the source of the Yoruba race. Which is the same conceptual development I used in planning the whole resort. The hotel building which is the principal structure in the resort stood for source of everything in the resort, while other functions(buildings) formed the flowing spring. Below are rendered views of the hotel building in the resort, a 40meters plus tall cotton wall structure.

There are other places of interest in the state outside Oshogbo, like: The erin-Ijesha water fall, Oke-Imesi large ditch, the Oni's palace at other stuffs @ Ile-Ife.
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Jobspire: 8:55pm On Sep 14, 2014
Looking for job vacancies in Abuja ? http://www.jobspire.com.ng
Re: Nigerian Trio Celebrated As Owners Of Biggest Online Job Site. by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 28, 2015
Gbawe:

Indeed. There is so much to do in Nigeria for innovative young minds. Instead, all some Nigerian youths want to do is accumulate degrees upon degrees and seek a white collar/bank job that enables them to prance around in suit and tie all day feeling self-righteously important. Meanwhile, innovative and brave foreigners are still arriving Nigeria daily to identify opportunities and 'niche markets' they eventually take advantage of to make themselves very rich and successful.
Hello Mr Gbawe....A progressive needs ur assistance..I would love to interact with u personally..Can u pls drop ur email or if u can possibly contact me on mine
"olatunjiyusuf33@gmail.com"
Thanks in advance

(1) (Reply)

I Need Email Marketing / ... / How To Register 100 Domains For Just $3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.