Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,329 members, 7,864,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:02 PM

Among The Ibos The Art Of Conversation Is Regarded Very High...things Fall Apart - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Among The Ibos The Art Of Conversation Is Regarded Very High...things Fall Apart (1491 Views)

Are Ibos the smartest people on Earth? / Prof Osibanjo Regarded As APC's Presidential Candidate In A Poster / Ibos Must Support: Gej Gives The Ibos The First Chief Of Army Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Among The Ibos The Art Of Conversation Is Regarded Very High...things Fall Apart by shineeye: 10:26am On Sep 07, 2014
A legend lives forever never knew that the world can never forget the great legend(Chinua achebe)

I was reading comments from people around the world is so impressed....

Here are the comments from achebes account on FB. with 773 people clicking share button

· · Share · 7,017512773
Top Comments Samuel Okonkwo and 7,015 others like this.
773 shares

[b]Nwabunze Godson Legendary achebe our God are wiser
Like · Reply · 11 mins · Edited

Ronald Mupeta Unoka,Obi Okonkwo and Ikemefuna the lad.....this reminds me of my senior secondary school years and the rich literature we were taught through the novels of the African writers series."He who brings kola brings life","he who reads Chinua Achebe's books,broadens his intellect".
Unlike · Reply · 86 · 5 September at 02:14

Amos Chilufya #Chinua achebe.
Like · 5 September at 17:18

Dennis Grace Love thy wisdom, very rich - richer than imported "god"
Like · 5 September at 20:09

Toni Banks Have you read Buchi Emeheta? (Florence Onye) Buchi Emecheta was born on 21 July 1944, in Lagos to Igbo parents.
Like · Yesterday at 07:26 · Edited

Maggie Mahleza the lizard that jumped from the high iroko tree said, if no one praises me I will praise myself.
Unlike · Reply · 66 · 5 September at 01:03

Ademola Oluwashegun Oladeru One of the best books EVER written!
Like · Reply · 29 · 5 September at 01:14

Uche Aguolu Best book ever that tells the west and our future generation that we have a past- politics, religion and civilization before the coming of the white men. I remembered how his books are connected to one after the other- THINGS FALL APART followed by NO LONGER AT EASE and then A MAN OF THE PEOPLE. Woah! Chinua Achebe, the literary Icon is a prophet in the literary world.
Like · Reply · 20 · 5 September at 03:21

Tony-kHalifa Darlington Anieze ARROW OF GOD
Like · 2 · 5 September at 09:17

George Okumu Omollo No Longer at Ease is the Best!! Published EAEP
Like · 5 September at 20:54
Okey Nwabueze Godson

Daniella Koroma If a child washes his hands he'll eat with kings
Like · Reply · 20 · 5 September at 01:25

Obwola Lamson as soon as okonkwo saw head messenger, he sprang up to his feet, " what do you want here?,"he bleared, the world seems to stand still at that moment, but the silence was broken the head messenger," whiteman whose power you know too well has ordered this meeting to stop", in a split second okonkwo drew his machet, the man crouch to dose the blow, but it was useless, okonkwo's machet desecended twice and man head was beside his uniformed body
Like · Reply · 18 · 5 September at 01:34

Said Sadik our elders said that the sun will shine on those who stand before it shines on those who kneel under them.
Like · Reply · 13 · 5 September at 01:23 · Edited

Mbaya Edwin Eneke the Bird - Since men had learnt to shoot without missing, she had also learnt to fly without perching.
Like · Reply · 10 · 5 September at 05:39

Ejlal H. Elkhair I love this book I read the Arabic translation version
Like · Reply · 10 · 5 September at 02:11

Ogodo Monday Wia r u 4rm
Like · 1 · 5 September at 18:58

Ejlal H. Elkhair sudan
Like · 5 September at 19:00
View more replies
Okey Nwabueze Godson

Adnan Osman My favorite name in things fall apart is inkemefuna but okwonkwo is the man thou!!!
Like · Reply · 8 · 5 September at 01:29

Anslem Carl Dika ''That boy calls you father. Do not bear a hand in his death,'' Mazi Ezeudu told Okonkwo.
Like · Reply · 6 · 5 September at 06:57

Priscilla Lengwe A toad does nt run in broad daylight 4 nothing......the sad part of da buk 4 me was wen okonkwo kild ikemefuna...nt dat he wanted 2 bt bcoz he didnt want 2 be thot weak lyk hz father unoka....@love african novels
Like · Reply · 5 · 5 September at 06:56

Christian Potency Okoronkwo Lol @Sule, proverbs are not explained in Igbo land, rather as a true son of Igbo land u are to comprehend all proverbs on ur own in order to fit-in in d circle, else u'll be mocked dat "d dowries payed to marry ur mum are all in vain"
Like · Reply · 5 · 5 September at 06:42

Ishiombo Rantings Why Is it the mum that should take the flak for s dumb child!!!
Like · 5 September at 23:57
Okey Nwabueze Godson

Nnamdi Okorie Maduka d son of obierika came in and greeted okonkwo. Come and shake my hand ur wrestling d other day gladdend my heart...a chick dat would grow into a cock is spotted d very day it hatched
Like · Reply · 4 · 5 September at 06:41

Eddy Care's the right word is ibo and not igbo.
Like · Reply · 5 · 5 September at 02:45

Kola Popoola I think both are correct.
Like · 5 September at 04:13

Simon Chukwu Igbo not ibo
Like · 1 · 5 September at 04:57
View more replies
Okey Nwabueze Godson

Ani Patience Ukamaka Onye atuola ilu ma kowakwara ya , mara n'ego eji luo nne ya nara n'iyi !!!
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 09:19

Samuel Uzochukwu Eziokwu ka i kwuru
Like · Yesterday at 00:29
Okey Nwabueze Godson

Idris Abubakar Katagum "That night the mother of the spirit walk the length and breadth of the clan weeping for it murdered Son. It was a terrible night, not even the oldest man in umuafia has ever heard such a strange and fearful noise, and it was never to heard again."
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 08:24

Chukwuemeka Promise House My all time best African literature. I call it the "Pot of Africa's summary".
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 07:03

Maurice Mushitu Looking at a king's mouth, one would think that he never sucked his mother's breast
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 06:45

Francis Nongerayi okonkwo was well known throughout the nine villages and even beyond. His fame rested on his personal achievements. As a young man of eighteen, he gained fame after throwing Amalinze the cat. Amalinze was a great wrestler. He was called Amalinze because his back will never not touch the earth.
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 05:42 · Edited

Ifeanyi Orjiwuru Proverb is Igbo language. Before a conversation starts, proverbs are being spoken
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 02:17

Justin Laurie okonwo
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 01:14

James Presido We are nt ibo but igbo for ur information
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 01:11

Sovoya Davis Going to have the pleasure of reading this for another class.
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 01:09

Ifeanyichukwu Double Things fall apart till today
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 01:06

Fred Muyila ' Those whose palm-kernels were cracked for them by abenevolent spirit should not forget to be humble'.
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 16:00

Ignis Obioma Okpechi ilu okwu igbo jii Eje ije. Igbo bu igbo ndi oma.
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 07:01

Olayinka Abiodun Rofiat Things fall apart,the centre can not hold,mere anarchy is loose upon the world.....Obierika said and I quote"The white man is very clever, he came quietly with his religion,we were all amuse at his foolishness and allow him to stay,when our clan can no longer act as one,he has held a knife on the things that held us together and We Have Fallen Apart.
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 06:54

Gazzali A Dandago When a madman goes naked in the market place, it is his kinsmen who feel ashame not himself.
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 05:50

Abdullah Musa You drove that man to kill himself and now he will be buried like a dog.
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 05:44

Udoka Veron Ikota People dies but Legend lives on!
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 04:05

Akinleye Aderemi ...and the news spread like wide fire in the harmattan.
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 03:49

Christian Potency Okoronkwo †ђξ right and correct word is IGBO, not IBO for we Igbos but other tribes and ethnics in nigeria and beyond pronounces it as Ibo and datz why d author used d word Ibo in place of †ђξ Igbo, however, Things fall Apart, my favourite novel remains d most populous and greatest african novel ever in all history which was translated in more than 200 languages in africa and beyond, with great teachings and pure african.. Chinua, our great Igbo icon is gone but his legacy will live till d end, and am very proud to have lived in his generation!..
Like · Reply · 3 · 5 September at 03:25

Grace Chinwe What an excellent piece of art, I love the book and I doff my hat for Prof. Chinua Achebe
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 03:02

Augustine Ikwor Ilu bu nmanu ndi Igbo ji eri okwu.
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 02:36

Bernard Onwuka Don't spill the blood of this boy ...he calls you father
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 01:48

Barbara J Cobean This is my favorite book!
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 01:23

Morligan Chidiebere Ozurumba One thing that amazes me about this book is its numerous language translations yet conveys same meaning and message!
Like · Reply · 1 · 12 hrs

Ali Baba Toro great man with great ideas that touch the heart of every nigerian most.
Like · Reply · 1 · 12 hrs

Michael Osa Aigbiremwen Okonkwo never new the start of lives which many young men had.His fame rested on solid personal achievements. At eighteen he threw Amalize the cat;Amalize was called the cat because his back would never tourch d earth.
Like · Reply · 1 · 13 hrs

Michael Osa Aigbiremwen Let d kite perch and let d eagle perch,if one says no 2 d other let its wings break.
Like · Reply · 1 · 13 hrs · Edited

Ijeoma Chris Agbara,d goddess kills a man on d day his life is sweetest t him,hahaahhhaaa. Achebe nya diba
Like · Reply · 1 · 14 hrs

Adimoranma Eneh Things Fall Apart, the best novel ever written by a human being. Written by the literary iconic enigma, Prof, Chinua Achebe. May his soul rest in perfect peace, Amen.
Like · Reply · 1 · 21 hrs

Umenduka Johnmichael O Yes things has truely fallen apart in Africa most expecaily in nigeria where every thing is turned offside down,bribry and corruption is now our culture,where some claim to be born to rule and others to be ruled but i promise niGeria that one day i will tell my children that THERE WAS A COUNTRY called niGeria. (BIAFRA my dream-IGBO nation land of the GREAT though nigeria will not give you a chance to display your idea but i believe any little chance you have worth a million chance given to others)
Like · Reply · 1 · 23 hrs

Livinus Ozioma Chukwu Achebe,da father of AfricanLiterature
Like · Reply · 2 · Yesterday at 08:31

Helen Nnabugwu Whn the matchet hit the pot on ikemefuna's head,the lad ran back 2 okonkwo calling him father only 4 hm 2 kil the boy.i hate ths part
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 07:02

Tope Ajeigbe That boy calls you father, bear no hand in his death. Ezeudu's advice to okonkwo when ikemefuna was to be killed.
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 01:14

Roland Bockarie The sun shall shines on those who stand first before it shines on those who bend on their knees.....
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 01:07

Esau Phiri The white man is very clever, he has put a knife on things that held us together. The tribe that thought and acted like one is now failing apart.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 22:21

Charles Nnadozie The land of great men has turned to women clan.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 22:20
53 of 512
View more comments[/b]

Re: Among The Ibos The Art Of Conversation Is Regarded Very High...things Fall Apart by shineeye: 10:30am On Sep 07, 2014
[b]Ken Collins It wasn't offered in my high school but became one of my favorites.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 20:35

Seidu Kojovich '' a chick that will grow into a cock can be spotted the very day it hatches.''
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 20:25

Augustine Okoro This boy calls u father,do not av a hand in his death.But Okonkwo killed him so sympathetic d centre cannot hold.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 19:50

Agreement Shabba Tshabalala Nyowe run 2 his mother n tld hr ikemefuna z going hme ..his mothr say poor child..ikemefuna was happy thnkin he z going 2 c his family
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 19:43

Samson Kanumbi Jr. Whn the matchet hit the pot on ikemefuna's head,the lad ran back 2 okonkwo calling him father only 4 hm 2 kil the boy.i hate ths part
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 19:03

Dominic Omoligho BREAKING N-E-W-S: Hamas is ISIS, ISIS is Hamas and Al Jazeera is their media outfit, Iran is their sponsor. Boko haram is APC, APC is boko haram and Sahara is their media outfit, the disgraced army chief Dambanzau is their sponsor and supplier of arms. The wave of violence going on across the world today is an islamic agenda mix with political quest. Muslims can not detach religion from politics. That is why they smuggled sharia into our constitution. That is the origin of our problem. ISIS, Al quaeda, Al shabab, Hamas, boko haram, etc are all brothers. HIT LIKES if u believe.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 18:23

Otuagoma Edesie Michael Okonkwo go bring ikemefuna bk ooooo
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 17:48

Yakubu ChockqOteewy "The white man came quietly and peacibly with his religion, and we were amused at his foolishness and allowed him to stay. Now he has won our brothers and our clan can no longer act as one, he has put a knife on the things that held us together, and we have fallen apart." Viva Chinua Achebe!
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 16:55

Ibrahima Sesay Achebe was a great writer,
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 11:57

Serena Labate André
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 10:42

Julius Emeh Achebe is a god among men. I would rather declare him a literary SAINT.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 10:26

Onwudiwe Chimaobi Chimam Ikemefuna...."My father, they have killed me"
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 10:08

Christian Potency Okoronkwo Prof. Chinualumogu Achebe, thanks for bringing Africa to †ђξ limelight especially we Igbos through ur unimaginable literary arts, all your novels are masterpieces, namely: Things fall Apart, No Longer at Ease, Arrow of God, The man of d People, Ant Hills of †ђξ Savanna, Chike and †ђξ River and more!.. Indeed u have no replacement and comparism in d whole of d african soil and beyond because "a chick dat will grow into a cock is spotted from d day it hatched"... Adieu d great one but u'll alwayz live in our hearts till d end of time.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 09:57

Ann Okwori There couldn't have been African literature save for "Things fall Apart"!
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 09:28

James Nyamu nwoye is old enough to impregnate a woman-okonkwo
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 09:27

Mucunguzi Egidio As the man who had cleared his throat stopped and drew the machet,Okonkwo looked away,he had Ikemefuna cry 'Father they have killed me',running away to him. Okonkwo drew his machet and cut him down. He was always afraid of being thought weak
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 09:11

King Blowa The center can't hold
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 08:36

Lydia Onoja Okonkwo who spend his entire life trying 2 avoid d kind of life his father led,ended up buried lyk his father.wat an irony
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 08:18

Shonda Paul Matherz this reminds me of my high school days..‘‘‘okonkwo was well known throughout the nine villages and even beyond.his fame on vested on solid personal achivement .as a young man he his crowned the greatest wrestler afther throwing amalinZe the cat.***the elders agree it being one of the fiercenst fights since the founder of their town n for a moment the spirit keep applause for the man okonkwo as the air rises dimuendo"""" gone are those days high school
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 07:38

Veronika Amaechi all works of Achebe are masterpieces!!!
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 07:30

Zanwonga Ta Zet Luvukuvu I want to read this book, where can i found it.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 07:22

Donga Li google books
Like · 5 September at 17:02
Okey Nwabueze Godson

Neera Sharma ma fav one...one of the best novel i have read so far...
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 07:15

Uchenna Ehinne He(okonkwo) was one of d strongest man in umuofia, bt ur men drove 2 take his life n wl cannot bury him! only strangers cn do it so we wl pay ur men 2 do it 4 us then we wl do perform our duty later 2 cleans d land...cox it's abomination 4 someone 2 take his own life.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 07:00

Michael Atoripoe The cripple becomes hungry for a walk when the moon is shinning.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 06:59

Chukwurah Izunna Salt Its igbos not ibos
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 06:47

Genevieve Olieh The chick that will mature into a cock is always spotted early.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 06:46

Nkechi Confort U don't no it, u don't no it. Mma gi obu onye igbo
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 06:38

Beston Matiku What impression to meet this here as I'm a future Professional Teacher majoring English Literature as my First Teaching Subject!!!!
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 06:21

Christian Potency Okoronkwo @Justine Uwaeze, mr knows it all, d writer didn't link Nwoye to Onuka, rather Okonkwo once related his dull strength to dat of Onuka which made him to dislike d boy, and dat was why he even loved his daughter Ezinma more dan Nwoye because Ezinma is said to have picked his strength and braveness, until d arrival of ikemefuna.. Go and revisit d book and stop ur uninspired corrections here!
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 06:09

Lilian Zinyemba okonkwo never showed any emotions openly unless it b emotion of anger
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 06:07

Olanokiotan Gbolabo Lucas Someone says there is nothing like the word ibo? Really? Seriously? I wonder in which country he lives in, the question is what does it mean and if really there is no word like "ibo " then enlighten us and let there be a systemic change just as nobody calls black people in America Negros or black American anymore but African Americans! Like I said what is ibo and what is Igbo ? And is there really a word as "ibo"?
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 05:59

Jude Dorchman @olanokiotan , In reply to your question I want to let you know that Ibo is just a word adopted by the white men to describe the Igbos because they could not pronounce the Igbo word as in African/Igbo dialect so for them not to bite their tongues when pronouncing Igbo they adopted the simple pronunciation of Ibo which anyone can pronounce very well but the correct word is Igbo .
Like · 4 · 5 September at 07:25
Okey Nwabueze Godson

Justine Uwaeze When unoka plays on his flute, his face beams with blessedness and peace.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 05:47

Olanokiotan Gbolabo Lucas Quit whining about "ibo and igbo" Achebe did not write this post because he is DEAD! Why the difference anyway? Hausa people speak Hausa and Fulani people speak Fulani , why are ibo people called Igbo and their language called igbo? Even English people speak English and the Chinese speak Chinese and the Italians speak Italian so what is ibo and what is Igbo and what is the difference and why the difference in the first place?
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 05:44

Simon Chukwu ...'now the thing that bounds us together has broken and we are now failing apart'...
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 05:02

Alfred Moseray Is now a turning and turning gear the mere anarcy is now loosed upon Salone , the centre can no longer hold. Ebola invation. Let the autorities find a sympathetic solution, to do away with corruption. The eyes are watching , the whole world in general.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 05:00

Chichi Lelah Rose My Lit book. Very interesting.Enzimna who kept coming back after death kept me wonder about the igbo traditions
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 05:00 · Edited

Elijah Mawulikplim Addo My favourite book. I like the proverbs in this book, may his soul rest in perfect peace. My romodel.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 04:36

Ekene Arum When white men enter UMUOFIA de overpower our people from dat day THINGS STARTED TO FALL APART!
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 03:36

Chukwuma Patrick It's Igbo not Ibo
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 03:19

Karen Brock That is one of my favorite books!
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 03:11

Chiedozie J Emeka My Favourite Ever! Chinua is Ðä ßest in 9ja tilL Ðate!
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 02:55

Millicent Miss-Tee Tebele Best novel ever! I fel inluv with it sins I was 15,reading it for the 1st tym...still do even nw
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 02:41

Quaintella Asberry Think I'll pull my copy out & read again.
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 02:36

Terrica Hendrix The best novel ever!
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 02:35

Johnson Onwe James The words of Achebe will not die,as long Christ lives. Achebe activates the gift of writing in my life. I red his achievements and got motivated to write. It made me to discover my gift.......My new released literary work. A play titled 'SPREADING HAMLET' it is an African folktales. As a serving NYSC Corper,I thank God for his grace bestowed upon me, to have achieved this. likewise, as i emulated it from Chinua Achebe, after graduating from U.I he released ' Things Fall Apart'
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 02:27

Salla Tall they should make a movie about
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 02:04

Ekene Anaebo A movie of it exist in Nigeria. Contact me I can source one for you.
Like · 1 · 5 September at 02:52

Priscilla Lengwe It has bin released yes,i had an opotunity of watchn it in my last high xul grade@was a literature student
Like · 5 September at 07:09
Okey Nwabueze Godson

Eloka Ikebuaku Ogbuefi Ezeudu .
Like · Reply · 2 · 5 September at 02:02

Zeituni Lagati Sisiwa When the centre can no longer hold....things fall apart!
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 01:58

Mandy Gnesin One of my favourite books
Like · Reply · 1 · 5 September at 01:40
103 of 512
View more comments
Write a comment...

(1) (Reply)

Sahara Reporter Website Under Attack / TANoids Back In School-FUNDRAISING THREAD / Judge Assigned To Remove Tambuwal Withdraws Citing Petition Against Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.