Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. (2359 Views)

Help Toyota Corolla 09 Gear Challenge / Auto Challenge: Can You Fill In The Blank Spaces? / Can Brainbox Be A Challenge For Poor Gear Transmission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 07, 2014
There's at least two threads in this section that seems to glorify the juvenile antics of street racing. I won't be preach but I will only say that be cognizance of internet threads. If you promote street racing and then go out there and injure/kill an innocent person then that is premeditated murder, at least in my locale. The prosecutor and family attorneys can search your online activities and use that as evidence on your "Need For Speed".

I'll be in Ibadan for the whole month of December and I volunteer one weekend (Fri, Sat & Sun) to help you and your friends set up and host an AutoX session complete with safety inspection (limited), setup of a beginner course and other instructions.

Contrary to popular belief top speed is just one of the variables in measuring a cars performance. Agility which comes from a well tuned suspension and chassis offers a far more measured performance in terms of G loads. This is why you can have a Porsche 911 on the same track as a Mazda Miata and will have the Miata performing well (may still not win but the numbers will show very good performance).

All you need for a course is

1) a moderately smooth parking lot (see personal pictures that I took of various ones) and Nigeria should have many of this locations on the weekends.

2) a Nurse/medical personnel who can perform first aid if needed, but we'll ban anyone that drives or behaves in an unruly fashion.

3) a good mechanic who can do a quick safety inspection, loose lug nuts, fire extinguisher, helmet (yes helmet, so brine your local okada driver to loan you his for the day), tires, gas cap, oil cap, oil leaks, etc

4) a well set up course that can be changed to be more aggressive as the day wears on and as cars are eliminated

The funny thing is that I fully expect the driver of the Kia Rio to handily beat the Challenger/Charger if it truly exists.

Oya go ahead, tell me how we unshaven disporians have waka come again and how this will never work in Nigeria because Nigeria is located on Mars grin

PS: You don't have to wait for me, you can do this next weekend. It's so simple to have an AutoX.

Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 6:46pm On Sep 07, 2014
And you don't have to risk innocent parties lives.

Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by t3ky(m): 8:09pm On Sep 07, 2014
Fully booked; and where do u plan doing this in the ancient city?
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by sultaan(m): 8:24pm On Sep 07, 2014
If you are from Ibadan do you remember people use to learn how to drive on that truck park opposite the eleyele road barrack there was a car wash there and the whole place was turned to market. Then there was the runway of the old airport at samonda before the had the amusement park then whatever is there now.I don't recall any other open lot exist in Ibadan thet has not been turned into market place but you can check the newer airport since its almost dead anyway.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by mayor2013: 8:48pm On Sep 07, 2014
If this come to existence. My appearance must for sure follow for this
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by nurey(m): 8:53pm On Sep 07, 2014
Well well well, this is a welcome development. If I am coming it will be as a spectator not as a racer cause I am no f1 or rally racer.

There could be some in Lagos but I doubt if you could use it for free. Nigeria is poor with recreational facilities most have been turned to market or agberos don over run it.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 07, 2014
I can be in charge of the first aid section provided I am not put on call on that day and I am getting married the last weekend .
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 07, 2014
t3ky: Fully booked; and where do u plan doing this in the ancient city?

I have no idea and that will be up to the Ibadan Nairalanders. I only offer my assistance.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 07, 2014
sultaan: If you are from Ibadan do you remember people use to learn how to drive on that truck park opposite the eleyele road barrack there was a car wash there and the whole place was turned to market. Then there was the runway of the old airport at samonda before the had the amusement park then whatever is there now.I don't recall any other open lot exist in Ibadan thet has not been turned into market place but you can check the newer airport since its almost dead anyway.

All interesting ideas.

If someone lives near the airport perhaps you can stop in and speak to the airport manager. They may allow us to use a secluded part of the parking lot.

It can be sold as a win win for the community.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 07, 2014
mayor2013: If this come to existence. My appearance must for sure follow for this

We can do this if we try and if there's enough interest.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 07, 2014
nurey: Well well well, this is a welcome development. If I am coming it will be as a spectator not as a racer cause I am no f1 or rally racer.

There could be some in Lagos but I doubt if you could use it for free. Nigeria is poor with recreational facilities most have been turned to market or agberos don over run it.

Sometimes you have to give onto Ceaser what is due him. Will the agberos/area boys offer a service? Spectator maybe? How much is a pallet of "pure water" to give out for free?

I did not include looking for open space as part of my due diligence in August but I'm certain we can still find some private space that we can use for 4 to 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 07, 2014
casket: I can be in charge of the first aid section provided I am not put on call on that day and I am getting married the last weekend .

Excellent. Part of tech inspetion will include a small first aid box in each car plus a larger one from the event organizer.

You can't believe the amount of grown adults that faint at the sight of blood or loose cohesive during an emergency. So having a trained professional in attendance will greatly help if controlling mayhem.

Thanks.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 9:30pm On Sep 07, 2014
@CityNG, you are welcome sir .

1 Like

Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 07, 2014
I'm going to spend some time on Google maps to see if I can identify any large open space.

Others in Ibadan or familiar with Ibadan should do the same if possible.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 10, 2014
There is this large field near premier hotel coming from the sectariat road.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 11, 2014
cne010: There is this large field near premier hotel coming from the sectariat road.

Can you point it out on Google map?
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
CityNG:

Can you point it out on Google map?

I tried couldn't find it.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by sultaan(m): 6:54pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG: I'm going to spend some time on Google maps to see if I can identify any large open space.

Others in Ibadan or familiar with Ibadan should do the same if possible.

A small parking lot near the trans amusement park

7°26'05.9"N 3°54'31.7"E

I can see Premier hotel and the parking lot but no field

The parking lot of the Cultural center looks good too

Maybe this spot

7°24'46.1"N 3°53'07.7"E

But I think it is the parade ground of the army barack
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 12, 2014
sultaan:

A small parking lot near the trans amusement park

7°26'05.9"N 3°54'31.7"E

I can see Premier hotel and the parking lot but no field

The parking lot of the Cultural center looks good too

Maybe this spot

7°24'46.1"N 3°53'07.7"E

But I think it is the parade ground of the army barack

7°26'05.9"N 3°54'31.7"E (Track 1)

This will actually work as a start, a little bit tight especially to recover from a spin outs (of which there will be plenty knowing the boys and ego before they start calming down grin )

7°24'46.1"N 3°53'07.7"E (Track 2)

Much much better since we can actually lay the track out and force cars to slow down.

Thanks for doing this.

Oya Ibadan Guys start working doing a roll call to see if we have enough people that wants to do this.

Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 8:45pm On Sep 12, 2014
Friends, don't let something good be dissuaded by "neverdowell" runts. Keep focused grin
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by sultaan(m): 2:36am On Sep 13, 2014
CityNG:

7°26'05.9"N 3°54'31.7"E (Track 1)

This will actually work as a start, a little bit tight especially to recover from a spin outs (of which there will be plenty knowing the boys and ego before they start calming down grin )

7°24'46.1"N 3°53'07.7"E (Track 2)

Much much better since we can actually lay the track out and force cars to slow down.

Thanks for doing this.

Oya Ibadan Guys start working doing a roll call to see if we have enough people that wants to do this.

The military will not let you use their parade ground Track 2, so set that idea aside.

Other option is parking lot of cultural center
7°24'10.0"N 3°53'41.5"E

or the parking lots within the Adamasingba stadium
7°23'55.6"N 3°53'03.9"E

I chose those locations because they are at the center of the city.If you are willing to drive further try this location, it is perfect and not in use at the current moment

7°21'37.4"N 3°58'25.2"E

I use to play basketball at stadium while in high school then walk or run through the barrack on my way home at Ijokodo but most time I take the bus I walk only when I use my money to buy suya at Sabo grin grin
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Denn(m): 6:31am On Sep 13, 2014
nurey: Well well well, this is a welcome development. If I am coming it will be as a spectator not as a racer cause I am no f1 or rally racer.

hehehehehehe see them chicken out!.

i knew it.

nurey, dont come as a spectator....infact i am now on the lookout for you.

ibadan, here we come.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Denn(m): 6:32am On Sep 13, 2014
CityNG:

All interesting ideas.

If someone lives near the airport perhaps you can stop in and speak to the airport manager. They may allow us to use a secluded part of the parking lot.

It can be sold as a win win for the community.

i was about suggesting the airport.

topgear uses abandoned runways
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Denn(m): 6:43am On Sep 13, 2014
sultaan:

The military will not let you use their parade ground Track 2, so set that idea aside.

Other option is parking lot of cultural center
7°24'10.0"N 3°53'41.5"E

or the parking lots within the Adamasingba stadium
7°23'55.6"N 3°53'03.9"E

I chose those locations because they are at the center of the city.If you are willing to drive further try this location, it is perfect and not in use at the current moment

7°21'37.4"N 3°58'25.2"E

I use to play basketball at stadium while in high school then walk or run through the barrack on my way home at Ijokodo but most time I take the bus I walk only when I use my money to buy suya at Sabo grin grin

good options....
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by nurey(m): 7:24am On Sep 13, 2014
Denn:

hehehehehehe see them chicken out!.

i knew it.

nurey, dont come as a spectator....infact i am now on the lookout for you.

ibadan, here we come.

Why will I chicken out Denn, you are now my rival and I am looking at a way to smirr cake on your face it will give me a satisfaction I desire. But I will not drive MY sienna all the way to ibadan to be racing with it I am not ready to die. Besides I am just a young chap who loves the need for speed (kilomodemo)
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Denn(m): 7:32am On Sep 13, 2014
nurey:

Why will I chicken out Denn, you are now my rival and I am looking at a way to smirr cake on your face it will give me a satisfaction I desire. But I will not drive MY sienna all the way to ibadan to be racing with it I am not ready to die. Besides I am just a young chap who loves the need for speed (kilomodemo)

ok...

i accept your surrender.....next!!!

grin
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by nurey(m): 7:39am On Sep 13, 2014
Denn:

ok...

i accept your surrender.....next!!!

grin
The reason I won't race is cause you will bring your kia rio and get beaten badly by something that weights twice your car weight and I don't condone excuses in a fair win. And the winner by a good margin and state of the art maneuver ... Is TO YO TA CEE EEH NAH (sienna) capish.
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 13, 2014
nurey:
The reason I won't race is cause you will bring your kia rio and get beaten badly by something that weights twice your car weight and I don't condone excuses in a fair win. And the winner by a good margin and state of the art maneuver ... Is TO YO TA CEE EEH NAH (sienna) capish.

You guys are killing me grin

Cars, guys, trash talking = my kind of a party cheesy

Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by nurey(m): 11:03am On Sep 13, 2014
CityNG:

Sienna + good driver + performance = TROPHY grin

1 Like

Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 13, 2014
CityNG:

Is this the only progressive thing you can import from the States....
Re: A Challenge To Nairalanders In Ibadan. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Sep 13, 2014
nurey:
Sienna + good driver + performance = TROPHY grin

My money is on the Rio for the AutoX though.

If the Siena wins against the Rio on the AutoX I will dash the driver N10,000 grin

Lobatan - gauntlet has been laid down.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Purpose Of The Stabilizer Bar, Links, & Bushings / 39miles With 4k Fuel On Highlander 2001. Help Out / Planning On My First Car.... Golf 4?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.