Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo (19832 Views)

Debate: Messi V Raul - Who Is The Bigger Champions League Legend? / Messi V Ronaldo / Didier Drogba And Christiano Ronaldo Hot Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by mubarakopeyemi(m): 4:38am On Sep 12, 2014
God bless you guys 4 me jare. I'm really enjoying the debate, as for me sha, Messi is better.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Iamzuna(m): 6:49am On Sep 12, 2014
naturalwaves:
Let's do the maths;

Ronaldo-----255/250= 1.02 goals per match
Messi--------276/266= 1.04 goals per match

Ronaldo-------378/573= 0.66 goals per game
Messi---------367/459= 0.80 goals per game

Since there are no half goals or quatre goals. They have both scored an average of one goal per match and that makes it equal tongue. Don't mind me, just joking. Based on the statistics you have provided, Messi has a better goal ratio than Ronaldo. Thanks! I will verify in my free time o.

U dae solve maths o.. Lol. I am not disputing the fact that Ronaldo is not equally as good as messi but its just that Messi has an edge in the sense that he can single handedly change a game by himself and when he does not play well, his teams struggle. Messi does not need an assist to change a game (like in World Cup). Believe me if messi plays 4 Madrid then he wud score a lot more than he is scoring now at Barca. But as good Ronaldo is, he does not play well in some games and Madrid wud win convincingly and he might even tap in a goal on a day he plays poorly but on his day he is unstoppable bt most times cannot win games on his own (World Cup). If you can remember what Pep Guardiola said (that it was not him that did the most to win the trophies he won at Barca but it was Messi that won him trophies) then you should understand that no coach would say that when he has a whole team to praise.

That said, i wud add that we are blessed to watch the greatest football rivalry ever. Both players to me are the best ever.

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Iamzuna(m): 7:16am On Sep 12, 2014
Endowed595: You pple are not serious, When does messi ever mark or husle ball, Ronaldo is way way better in free kick, shot power, speed, aerial balls..... Messi is just a lazy goal scorere.....Suarez don show nw

And Ronaldo marks better? Get your facts right. Barca plays high pressing pattern which makes everyone press opponent and mark your area when not with the ball but in Messi's case, he has to press and put opposition defence under pressure (u dont expect 1 man to mark 4 defenders and a DM passing the ball around) and then Messi has to conserve his energy because same Messi has to start every attack and take on ?? Opposition players. Besides messi stil win more balls defensively than Ronaldo. Apart from defending corners, tell me where you have seen Ronaldo mark with collecting a card.

As for freekicks, u make me laff by saying Ronaldo takes way better FK
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by cr7lomo: 10:22am On Sep 12, 2014
Iamzuna:

And Ronaldo marks better? Get your facts right. Barca plays high pressing pattern which makes everyone press opponent and mark your area when not with the ball but in Messi's case, he has to press and put opposition defence under pressure (u dont expect 1 man to mark 4 defenders and a DM passing the ball around) and then Messi has to conserve his energy because same Messi has to start every attack and take on ?? Opposition players. Besides messi stil win more balls defensively than Ronaldo. Apart from defending corners, tell me where you have seen Ronaldo mark with collecting a card.

As for freekicks, u make me laff by saying Ronaldo takes way better FK

Guy, u are totally biased . U just a messi fan , I started watching messi play since 04/05 season , I watched his debut game live on tv wen Ronaldinho gave him that chipped pass that he used to score his 1st goal . Pls and pls I have Neva in my life watched messi track back to mark for club or country , I have Neva seen him tackle and that's y he rarely gets booked . Pls correct me if am wrong , hv u Eva seen him near his own 18yard box when the opposing team wanna play a corner kick . Hardly will u even c messi in hi own half .

Messi only stared scoring loads of goals when Ronaldo joined real . Messi had Neva Eva scored 30 goals in a season until Ronaldo joined la liga and that was possible because he took ibrahimovic's role as d point man and that was d reason y ibra left barca . Messi is Neva humble , liv those gimmicks u c on the pitch
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by nickvanilla(m): 10:49am On Sep 12, 2014
Truth be told,both are extraodinary attackers.But based on achievements,messi has no rival.50 goals in a single la liga season,91 goals in a calender year,and 4 consecutive ballon d'or awards are enough to convince me that messi is not only better than ronaldo but he is also the greatest player ever to have played the round leather game.have a nice day you all.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Iamzuna(m): 11:07am On Sep 12, 2014
cr7lomo:

Guy, u are totally biased . U just a messi fan , I started watching messi play since 04/05 season , I watched his debut game live on tv wen Ronaldinho gave him that chipped pass that he used to score his 1st goal . Pls and pls I have Neva in my life watched messi track back to mark for club or country , I have Neva seen him tackle and that's y he rarely gets booked . Pls correct me if am wrong , hv u Eva seen him near his own 18yard box when the opposing team wanna play a corner kick . Hardly will u even c messi in hi own half .

Messi only stared scoring loads of goals when Ronaldo joined real . Messi had Neva Eva scored 30 goals in a season until Ronaldo joined la liga and that was possible because he took ibrahimovic's role as d point man and that was d reason y ibra left barca . Messi is Neva humble , liv those gimmicks u c on the pitch

Good point there bro. 1st i will take you back to a game you should remember since you claim never to have seen Messi track back. Barca vs Man City, if u saw that match then you clearly saw Messi track back to dispossess Aguero and that was one of highlight of the game. I would have mentioned others but i will rest my case for now. If you watch football very well then you will know that Messi has no business at the back when its obvious that Messi wil start most of the attack. Messi's work is to charge the opposition defense and try to put pressure on them when they have possession and not to collet the ball (mind you even John Terry cant win possession in that region unless there is a mistake there. Messi does do his wrk defensively much more than Ronaldo because most times Ronaldo does not start the attack for Madrid and his marking is poor and you cant defend that unless you are trying to cover the obvious truth. Messi is short and cannot defend setpiece like Ronaldo and i am not denying that.

Now talk about goals, messi was mostly injured and mind you messi was never playing the false 9 role until Guardiola came and that was when he started having less injury, tho it does not mean he was not the best player at Barca b4 then
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Iamzuna(m): 11:16am On Sep 12, 2014
nickvanilla: Truth be told,both are extraodinary attackers.But based on achievements,messi has no rival.50 goals in a single la liga season,91 goals in a calender year,and 4 consecutive ballon d'or awards are enough to convince me that messi is not only better than ronaldo but he is also the greatest player ever to have played the round leather game.have a nice day you all.

Thank you o. I support the both of them and love good football but truth be told, Ronaldo has had a very good season and he has suddenly become the better player. Thats not how it works
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by mcdreeezy: 11:30am On Sep 12, 2014
cr7lomo:

For the fact that he's a Messi fan doesn't mean he is biased. I am a Messi fan too but I wouldn't have analysed both players in any better way than he did. What did he say that is biased? Did u see where he analysed both players total appearances and goals? And Messi still came out with a better goal ratio than CR7. Even the person he quoted (a CR7 fan) agreed with him, u ignored the fact that he analysed them well jux bcuz he's a Messi fan?

Yes it's hard to see Messi in his own half but it's even harder to see CR7 in his own half too. Messi comes back when necessary, a classical example is the last UCL match between barca and man city where he forcefully took the ball out of Aguero's legs, his countryman. And lastly, because Messi took Ibra's roll doesn't mean he's not humble, he's not the coach that makes selections for matches. I dunno why pple say Messi isn't humble as if they've had a personal encounter with him, u can't say that. U can only judge based on what u see on the pitch and based on that, Messi to the best of my knowledge can't be compared with CR7 on the pitch as regards humility. Messi does virtually everythin on the pitch apart from marking, he scores goals and assists others too. CR7 on the other hand, after bein frustrated by Barca's style of play for about 65mins, manages to score a penalty or tap in a Di Maria pass and guess what he does? He takes his shirt off grin just like in the last UCL final.

That guy isn't biased at all, don't say that jux bcuz he's a Messi fan. He has analyzed both players well, thanks
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by mcdreeezy: 11:35am On Sep 12, 2014
Iamzuna:

Good point there bro. 1st i will take you back to a game you should remember since you claim never to have seen Messi track back. Barca vs Man City, if u saw that match then you clearly saw Messi track back to dispossess Aguero and that was one of highlight of the game. I would have mentioned others but i will rest my case for now. If you watch football very well then you will know that Messi has no business at the back when its obvious that Messi wil start most of the attack. Messi's work is to charge the opposition defense and try to put pressure on them when they have possession and not to collet the ball (mind you even John Terry cant win possession in that region unless there is a mistake there. Messi does do his wrk defensively much more than Ronaldo because most times Ronaldo does not start the attack for Madrid and his marking is poor and you cant defend that unless you are trying to cover the obvious truth. Messi is short and cannot defend setpiece like Ronaldo and i am not denying that.

Now talk about goals, messi was mostly injured and mind you messi was never playing the false 9 role until Guardiola came and that was when he started having less injury, tho it does not mean he was not the best player at Barca b4 then
Bro, it's just as if you had what I had in mind when he said Messi does not come back grin
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Iamzuna(m): 12:23pm On Sep 12, 2014
mcdreeezy: Bro, it's just as if you had what I had in mind when he said Messi does not come back grin

Thanks Broda. You are so on point. So happy to have a Barca fan here. Following you all the way.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by mubarakopeyemi(m): 7:13pm On Sep 12, 2014
Iamzuna:

Thanks Broda. You are so on point. So happy to have a Barca fan here. Following you all the way.

Barca United lol
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Iamzuna(m): 11:19pm On Sep 12, 2014
mubarakopeyemi:

Barca United lol

Your re right Bro!!
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 8:15am On Sep 13, 2014
naturalwaves:

How sir? How does this go to Messi? Messi prefers ro do the chip thing one on one when the keeper is out, Ronaldo prefers to round the keeper before putting the ball in the net. From the sides, Messi prefers to curl the ball, ronaldo prefers to use a rocket on the near post. Moreover, Ronaldo's methods of hitting the ball with the in-step particularly during free kicks is unrivalled and that is why some balls pass just above the keeper's head sometimes and yet unstoppable. For every technique Messi has, Ronaldo has it or a substitute. There is no technique Messi as shown that Ronaldo can't match but there are lots of techniques Ronaldo does that beats Messi talking about in-out, ou-in leg overs, passing of the ball with his back and so on.If at all, this is balanced even though Ronaldo seems better, the best you can do for Messi is to leave it balanced. He is not better than Ronaldo with respect to techniques.

Your argument is plausible but very biased. Ronaldo might be faster, able to jump higher and smash the ball harder - but that athletic ability doesn't make him a better footballer than Messi in terms of technical talent.

Lionel Messi's close control, his ability to dribble out of tight situations, his vision, his range of passing, his ability to leave a trail of defenders on their backsides, his finishing from inside and outside the penalty area, his composure, his ability to remain calm under pressure and much more all makes him the best player in world football - and subsequently a better technician than Ronaldo.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 8:48am On Sep 13, 2014
naturalwaves:
You know you so funny. You stylishly turned what was a plus to C.Ronaldo into a negative thing. When it comes into club football, there is nothing like loyalty and that is why contracts are usually signed with certain conditions and if the conditions are met, the player could either leave or decide to stay further if the club wants him to. Players make their decisions based on several reasons. Ronaldo's mum had always wanted him to play at Madrid even when he was a kid.Moreover, Ronaldo is an explorer, he likes challenges and has proved his worth severally at different clubs while your Messi is afraid of the unknown and just wanna stay in his comfort zone all the time. Ronaldo wins!

CR7 has a typical superstar story. He started at small clubs in his home country Portugal, and worked his way up to the highest level there. Then he caught the attention of a big club, Manchester United, in one of the four big soccer countries, England, while still young, and developed into a true superstar at Man United.

He fostered a reputation as a bit of a whiny diver early on in his career. He has mostly overcome that reputation now, and his work ethic is tremendous. After making his value at Man United obvious, he joined the only club in the world richer than Man United, Real Madrid, and moved to Spain.

He's was a story about a driven young man with only one aim: to become the best. It's a good story, an inspirational one even, but not one that can teach the younger generation a lesson in loyalty.
----------------------

Lionel Messi, in comparison, is a bit of an oddity in the superstar market. He came up through Barcelona’s youth system and has stayed with the club through his whole career to date. He has stated repeatedly his desire to retire at Barcelona (he probably has at least another 7 years to play). The Ryan Gigs of Barcelona.

Case closed.

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 9:00am On Sep 13, 2014
naturalwaves:
I disagree. If you use the principle of physics, Ronaldo falls more often because of his height and that's why sports vehicles are usually closer to the ground. Messi is closer to the ground and so can maneuver better. It is players like Peter Crouch, Nwakwo Kanu and co that will fall so easily. Messi stays more on his feet not because he decides to but his build favours that (that's what I am disagreeing with). If you play football, you will observe that short players are difficult to stop or hack down. Moreover, doesn't it sound funny to say Messi has more strength than Ronaldo? Let's say he does, how about AGRESSION and POWER? Ronaldo flies higher than Messi in these.

You couldn't be more wrong. Statistically speaking, there is more probability for short players to go down to flimsy tackles compared to taller ones. For example, you rarely see Ibrahimovic or Pogba taking a tumble compared to the frequency of dives per game from shorter players like Aguero and Alexis Sanchez.

Messi is a player to whom taking a dive is an unknown desire, which leads to one of my favorite videos of his exploits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0gS5CshUDE

4 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by cotzywitzy(m): 1:45pm On Sep 13, 2014
naturalwaves:
You know you so funny. You stylishly turned what was a plus to C.Ronaldo into a negative thing. When it comes into club football, there is nothing like loyalty and that is why contracts are usually signed with certain conditions and if the conditions are met, the player could either leave or decide to stay further if the club wants him to. Players make their decisions based on several reasons. Ronaldo's mum had always wanted him to play at Madrid even when he was a kid.Moreover, Ronaldo is an explorer, he likes challenges and has proved his worth severally at different clubs while your Messi is afraid of the unknown and just wanna stay in his comfort zone all the time. Ronaldo wins!

Some people be mumu.. do you really know what loyalty means... when talking about loyalty its not about staying with a particular club, tell me Mikel staying at Chelsea is loyalty the fool is scared of leaving cause of one his wages and knows he would never matter in any other team... Ronaldo proved to the world that he can conquer any league he finds himself... Messi should try that before we can give him accolades... I see messi as someone that would never leave his comfort zone not now that he's got no more tricks in his bag... #TeamCR7

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by mrham03(m): 1:48pm On Sep 13, 2014
everybody knows CR7 is the best. No complains

3 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by cotzywitzy(m): 2:11pm On Sep 13, 2014
Iamzuna:

U dae solve maths o.. Lol. I am not disputing the fact that Ronaldo is not equally as good as messi but its just that Messi has an edge in the sense that he can single handedly change a game by himself and when he does not play well, his teams struggle. Messi does not need an assist to change a game (like in World Cup). Believe me if messi plays 4 Madrid then he wud score a lot more than he is scoring now at Barca. But as good Ronaldo is, he does not play well in some games and Madrid wud win convincingly and he might even tap in a goal on a day he plays poorly but on his day he is unstoppable bt most times cannot win games on his own (World Cup). If you can remember what Pep Guardiola said (that it was not him that did the most to win the trophies he won at Barca but it was Messi that won him trophies) then you should understand that no coach would say that when he has a whole team to praise.

That said, i wud add that we are blessed to watch the greatest football rivalry ever. Both players to me are the best ever.

Mr its like you didn't watch most of la liga games when Madrid needs to win they depend on Ronaldo and have you forgotten how Portugal got to Brazil world cup.. Ronaldo single handedly brought them to the world cup I think you need to watch it... Ibrahimovic testified that ronaldo is a great player. shikena

3 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Iamzuna(m): 5:38pm On Sep 13, 2014
cotzywitzy:

Mr its like you didn't watch most of la liga games when Madrid needs to win they depend on Ronaldo and have you forgotten how Portugal got to Brazil world cup.. Ronaldo single handedly brought them to the world cup I think you need to watch it... Ibrahimovic testified that ronaldo is a great player. shikena

Now Mr. I never saw a game in La Liga where Madrid has depended solely on Ronaldo but instead Ronaldo needs his team mates to always step up their game for him to shine. Madrid has a compact team and play always catch their opponents on the break with their fast wing players (not with Ronaldo alone) or tell me where you have ever seen Ronaldo take the ball from deep in his own half and then beat all defenders to score a solo goal (at least Bale did that in Copa Del Rey). But in Barca, if Messi does not play well then the whole team is in trouble unless a miracle happens and someone steps up (i call it a miracle because it happens just a few times).

Ibramovic knows and everyone knows that Ronaldo is a great player (I also know that). The same Ibrahimovic who is not a fan of Messi has said several times that Messi is something else (If you understand what i mean).

Now talking about Portugal, Ronaldo has not even achieved half of what Figo achieved with his own team as a leader. I am not trying to discredit Ronaldo but the earlier you realize that Portugal is not a small or average team in Europe then you will understand that Portugal playing in the play-offs and coming second to Russia in their group is more like an insult. Germany, Netherlands, Spain and some other top European countries had qualified with games to spare and some others like England still qualified from their difficult group but where was Ronaldo when Russia was topping their group, where was he when Messi and Argentina qualified with games to spare. Instead he scored 4 in a play-off match and all of a sudden that is a record no one can match. Their play off game is no different to that of Uruguay vs NZ so you had better stopped seeing that play-off game as an achievement because if Agentina were to play a play-off game, it would be termed an insult to Messi.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Iamzuna(m): 5:42pm On Sep 13, 2014
cotzywitzy:

Some people be mumu.. do you really know what loyalty means... when talking about loyalty its not about staying with a particular club, tell me Mikel staying at Chelsea is loyalty the fool is scared of leaving cause of one his wages and knows he would never matter in any other team... Ronaldo proved to the world that he can conquer any league he finds himself... Messi should try that before we can give him accolades... I see messi as someone that would never leave his comfort zone not now that he's got no more tricks in his bag... #TeamCR7

So even when Aguero and Diego Costa thats not up to Messi's level is tearing your Epl apart you still want Messi to come to your Epl right? Even Fabregas will soon be the king of Assist in your Epl history. lol.. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 13, 2014
.....#teamCR7
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by naturalwaves: 10:12pm On Sep 13, 2014
RayMcBlue:

Your argument is plausible but very biased. Ronaldo might be faster, able to jump higher and smash the ball harder - but that athletic ability doesn't make him a better footballer than Messi in terms of technical talent.

Lionel Messi's close control, his ability to dribble out of tight situations, his vision, his range of passing, his ability to leave a trail of defenders on their backsides, his finishing from inside and outside the penalty area, his composure, his ability to remain calm under pressure and much more all makes him the best player in world football - and subsequently a better technician than Ronaldo.
@ Paragraph one, if you check my previous analysis, I highlighted that point that Messi does well in confined spaces, he maneuvers better and I also clearly stated that he has more acceleration than Ronaldo while Ronaldo has more velocity.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by naturalwaves: 10:43pm On Sep 13, 2014
RayMcBlue:

You couldn't be more wrong. Statistically speaking, there is more probability for short players to go down to flimsy tackles compared to taller ones.

You just validatee my point with the use of the word "flimsy" and what that means is that those you referring to dived for tackles that aren't worth falling for. Morover, my point isn't about statistics, it is about what it is not what is available. When a short player doesn't wanna go down,you can hardly make him go down.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by tobiboss(m): 11:01pm On Sep 13, 2014
JESUSchoice: I jst love dat guy who wears that number 7 jersey,he's got alot of skillz... d likes of da step over,flip flat and scissor etc gives him alot of respct frm defendaz ....the dwarf is jst a lazy goal score with no particular skillz .....#teamCR7
hehehehe, coded01
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by shanktang(m): 2:20am On Sep 14, 2014
Iamzuna:

What people fail to understand is that Madrid has a better balanced team than Barca. Ronaldo does little or nothing when the team is down but takes the glory when they win (probably because he might just head in a corner or just tap in a Di Maria pass). Lol

Dis is just the absolute truth, can't understand why people are so blind, messi has a better work rate than Ronaldo, though he's also been found culpable on few occasions.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by shanktang(m): 2:46am On Sep 14, 2014
Truth is all this arrears we are basing our analysis of both players can't work without us been biased at one point, co's both players come with different physicality, and shape, and height, so comparing and analysing their achievement on this natural attributes will be unfair, co's one will come naturally with a better advantage than the other, if I'm taller dan u, and u are shorter, I have a better advantage in nodding, if I have a better physical built dan u do, I should naturally have more strength dan u do, and if I am shorter I should have my own advantages over u when it comes to certain arrears, messi is shorter, he's more balanced on the ground, ronaldo has a more physical built, and taller hence more strength and more advantage over height, the only way we can judge is with each both natural advantages who have achieved more in the round leather game, who has more results. For me, no matter what u have or u don't have, what result are u bringing to the table, if we have to compare them at all, let's look at arrears where they both balance naturally, and take it on from there. Again the club they play for and their pattern of play has further developed them into different modes of players, creating and even more wider differentials, a club like barcelona will not cross the ball so often from the wings like madrid will do, it is not so much their style, a madrid club will not expect to walk the ball into the net, like barcelona will want to do, they'd rather u take your chances from any range as quick as u can, so its all different, please let's judge them both on how much they've delivered so far, who has more, the end says it all.

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by RayMcBlue(m): 5:43am On Sep 14, 2014
naturalwaves:

You just validatee my point with the use of the word "flimsy" and what that means is that those you referring to dived for tackles that aren't worth falling for. Morover, my point isn't about statistics, it is about what it is not what is available. When a short player doesn't wanna go down,you can hardly make him go down.

A short player has certain advantages at his disposal. Low center of gravity for one. It enables him to dribble better, have more ball control than a taller player, makes him lighter on his feet, invariably making him more prone to dives than your average 1.80 tall player.

@the bold, it's not entirely up to them. Anthropologically speaking, the shorter you are, the more probable you will weigh less, right? Then, you have a scenerio whereby Hazard is being marked by a significantly bigger Vincent Kompany. Hazard has the goal on his sight and initially determine that it would serve him better to stay on his feet, but invariably deciding to play the victim card anyway, upon the realization that Kompany is simply stronger and would regain possession otherwise.

Most often than not, short players taking a dive from clumsy challenges is an act of survival more than anything else. They can stay on their feet if they have to, but when the odds are stacked against them, simulation becomes a necessity.

This is where Messi differs from the rest.
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by IbrahimMav: 9:12am On Sep 14, 2014
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by cotzywitzy(m): 12:45pm On Sep 14, 2014
Iamzuna:

So even when Aguero and Diego Costa thats not up to Messi's level is tearing your Epl apart you still want Messi to come to your Epl right? Even Fabregas will soon be the king of Assist in your Epl history. lol.. grin grin grin

@iamzuna, Aguero was in top flight for how many season? don't worry season just start.. Diego abi Na paloma won't be seen any longer...
Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by cotzywitzy(m): 12:47pm On Sep 14, 2014
Iamzuna:

Now Mr. I never saw a game in La Liga where Madrid has depended solely on Ronaldo but instead Ronaldo needs his team mates to always step up their game for him to shine. Madrid has a compact team and play always catch their opponents on the break with their fast wing players (not with Ronaldo alone) or tell me where you have ever seen Ronaldo take the ball from deep in his own half and then beat all defenders to score a solo goal (at least Bale did that in Copa Del Rey). But in Barca, if Messi does not play well then the whole team is in trouble unless a miracle happens and someone steps up (i call it a miracle because it happens just a few times).

Ibramovic knows and everyone knows that Ronaldo is a great player (I also know that). The same Ibrahimovic who is not a fan of Messi has said several times that Messi is something else (If you understand what i mean).

Now talking about Portugal, Ronaldo has not even achieved half of what Figo achieved with his own team as a leader. I am not trying to discredit Ronaldo but the earlier you realize that Portugal is not a small or average team in Europe then you will understand that Portugal playing in the play-offs and coming second to Russia in their group is more like an insult. Germany, Netherlands, Spain and some other top European countries had qualified with games to spare and some others like England still qualified from their difficult group but where was Ronaldo when Russia was topping their group, where was he when Messi and Argentina qualified with games to spare. Instead he scored 4 in a play-off match and all of a sudden that is a record no one can match. Their play off game is no different to that of Uruguay vs NZ so you had better stopped seeing that play-off game as an achievement because if Agentina were to play a play-off game, it would be termed an insult to Messi.

Agreed with u on some points but can you compare the Portuguese team with the Argentina team... Argentina can fair without messi if likes or Teves r still there.... but Portuguese current team is no better than Nigerian team.

2 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by Iamzuna(m): 1:58pm On Sep 14, 2014
cotzywitzy:

Agreed with u on some points but can you compare the Portuguese team with the Argentina team... Argentina can fair without messi if likes or Teves r still there.... but Portuguese current team is no better than Nigerian team.

The Portugal team is far better than our Super Eagles o. I agree with you that Argentina is better

1 Like

Re: Lionel Messi V Christiano Ronaldo by naturalwaves: 2:45pm On Sep 14, 2014
RayMcBlue:

A short player has certain advantages at his disposal. Low center of gravity for one. It enables him to dribble better, have more ball control than a taller player, makes him lighter on his feet, invariably making him more prone to dives than your average 1.80 tall player.

@the bold, it's not entirely up to them. Anthropologically speaking, the shorter you are, the more probable you will weigh less, right? Then, you have a scenerio whereby Hazard is being marked by a significantly bigger Vincent Kompany. Hazard has the goal on his sight and initially determine that it would serve him better to stay on his feet, but invariably deciding to play the victim card anyway, upon the realization that Kompany is simply stronger and would regain possession otherwise.

Most often than not, short players taking a dive from clumsy challenges is an act of survival more than anything else. They can stay on their feet if they have to, but when the odds are stacked against them, simulation becomes a necessity.

This is where Messi differs from the rest.

Can you please remove the word "dive" from your arguments sir, so, I can reply promptly because I am talking about a fall and not dive and there is a difference between falling unintentionally and diving. My arguments were based on who falls more easily when they don't want to (unintentional). I feel a taller player does.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Rohr Invites 23 For Tanzania Game: Mikel, Iheanacho Invited, Oboabona Dropped / Heart Problem Forces Abdullahi Nura Into Early Retirement From Football / Mikel Obi Banned And Fined £60,000 Over Referee Incident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.