Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,998 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Is My Lexus RX300 Engine Bad? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is My Lexus RX300 Engine Bad? (5430 Views)

Need Expert Advice On My RX300 Engine Problem / How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts. / Rx300 Engine (2000) Without Auxiliary Needed ASAP! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Is My Lexus RX300 Engine Bad? by beryour(m): 4:57pm On Sep 19, 2014
abatically: I don't know why some people keep calling our local mechanics CLOWNS. They do come in handy one time or the other. These are people without any formal education yet they are able to convert a right hand drive vehicle to left hand drive. They lack any formal education but they can still transplant a Toyota Camry engine into a Landrover Freelander.

Yes the normal thing is to take our cars to a reputable shop, but how many of those shops are readily available. How many people can afford their fees. I once took my car to a Honda shop, after scanning the quoted 490,000 naira as total cost to fix the car. This does not even include opening of the engine. I was told after the fix is done and the problem persist then they will drop the engine which will cost another money. You won't believe the parts they listed:

ecu
ecu programming
ABS module (because my ABS light was on)
4 ABS speed sensors
catalytic converter
o2 sensors
MAF sensor
Throttle body
Baro sensor

etc etc.

Then my engine was shorting fuel.

So what did I do.. I went to one of the so called 'clowns'. I bought a used engine for 170k, bought o2 sensors and space to fool my ecu, bought abs sensors (I never changed the ecu and abs module and some of the things I was asked to change at the 'reputable shop' Well at the end of the day I spent less than 230k and my car has been ok for more than one year now. The thing is to have a scanner and scan ur cars, then go to a mechanic tell him what u want him to do. You can't call all of them clowns because to be sincere they are trying considering the level of formal education they have.

If I had stuck with Honda, I am sure after spending 490,000 naira at the end they would tell me the engine needs to be dropped and would cost an additional 150k or more because I don't see how replacing all those sensors would stop my engine from shorting oil.
Please how much did you get the O2 Sensors and where exactly?
thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sienna 2000. Excessive Fuel Consumption / Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change / Officially Introducing 2014 IVM Umu And 2014 IVM Fox

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.