Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,793 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change (5435 Views)

White Smoke After Oil Change / 5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) / Free Oil, Free Oil Filter,free Oil Change, Free Vehicle Scan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by SLADsys: 3:59pm On Jan 13, 2016
I did an oil change about a month ago, and ever since then I've been having this rattle noise on cold startup and whenever the engine sits between 4-5 hours. Noise is very brief between 1 to 2 secs. Filter element was replaced, but noise persist. Though oil change was done with Mobil 1 5W-20, but I'm not sure again of the quality of this oil due to this issue. I'm now contemplating on draining out the oil.
1- Any advice on what oil to use?
2- Is there any damage that could have occurred during this period of 4 weeks of driving the vehicle with this rattle noise on startup?
3- Are there other likely cause apart from these suspect (oil)?

Vehicle is 2012 Toyota RAV4 I4 FWD.
engine is Toyota 2AR-FE (2.5L).
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by kingreign(m): 4:16pm On Jan 13, 2016
SLADsys:
I did an oil change about a month ago, and ever since then I've been having this rattle noise on cold startup and whenever the engine sits between 4-5 hours. Noise is very brief between 1 to 2 secs. Filter element was replaced, but noise persist. Though oil change was done with Mobil 1 5W-20, but I'm not sure again of the quality of this oil due to this issue. I'm now contemplating on draining out the oil.
2- Is there any damage that could have occurred during this period of 4 weeks of driving the vehicle with this rattle noise on startup?

The cold rattle of death... Usually in 09-10 Corolla.
Change that part in the picture
http://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/2009-2010-toyota-corolla-brief-engine-rattle-noise-on-cold-start-up-0087-09.416/
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by SLADsys: 6:12pm On Jan 13, 2016
Not sure that's the issue. My suspects is the oil or filter, since it was immediately after oil change. I need opinion about that

1 Like

Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 13, 2016
SLADsys:
Not sure that's the issue. My suspects is the oil or filter, since it was immediately after oil change. I need opinion about that

What oil filter was used? As in was it a genuine Toyota item?
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by Piyke: 11:21pm On Jan 13, 2016
Siena:

What oil filter was used? As in was it a genuine Toyota item?

Will a defective anti-drain back valve in the filter explain this?

1 Like

Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by SLADsys: 11:30am On Jan 14, 2016
I've since replaced the oil filter element (done at Mandillas), what is yet to be replaced is the engine oil.
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by Titan5g: 1:43pm On Jan 14, 2016
I had this issue with my honda. It was the timing belt tensioner, now a proud owner of a 2009 RX 350
https://www.nairaland.com/2380010/timing-belt-tensioner-belt-change
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by SLADsys: 2:01pm On Jan 14, 2016
The noise from my vehicle is not as loud as that in your video and also it's very brief, 1-2 seconds at most, and only on cold starts.
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by earthrealm(m): 4:28pm On Jan 14, 2016
SOME cheap filters dont hv that oil drain back valve, thus oil drains back into the sump when the engine is off, leaving the top end of the engine oil starved, for the brief 21 to 3 secs of start up, b4 the oil pump kicks in.
would advice you buy original filters and ensure the hv the drain back valve feature

note: not all original/usa filters hv the drain back feature

2 Likes

Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by SLADsys: 7:00am On Jan 15, 2016
Earthrealm, many thanks for your comment and advise. How do I identify a filter element with an anti-drain back valve or can you recommend or suggest where I could pick up one. I wouldn't mind if you can supply me though.
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by Piyke: 1:15pm On Jan 15, 2016
SLADsys:
Earthrealm, many thanks for your comment and advise. How do I identify a filter element with an anti-drain back valve or can you recommend or suggest where I could pick up one. I wouldn't mind if you can supply me though.

The anti-drain back valve is simply the rubber/silicone stuff you see behind the smaller holes that go all round the larger screw-on hole. It's usually orange or black on most of the filters I've seen
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by earthrealm(m): 2:46pm On Jan 15, 2016
SLADsys:

from the pics you can see that the FRAM typ e of filter, only the highest grade of fram filter come with the anti drainback valve,
the denso on the opther hand has the valve usually as standard equipment.
denso is toyota oem.
i see folks buying 500naira worth filters to put in thier cars.....that i blv is engine death u dey invite so....the filter will most probablly b made of newspaper!

Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by earthrealm(m): 4:29pm On Jan 15, 2016
denso ...toyota oem

Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by earthrealm(m): 4:31pm On Jan 15, 2016
filters

Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by SLADsys: 7:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
Many thanks for the information shared.
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by Chukslar: 11:34pm On Jan 15, 2016
SLADsys:

Pls go through this FB page and get your solution, stop the guesswork and well meaning but speculative suggestions

https://web.facebook.com/J-316-Auto-Scanner-182541062090916/

and
https://www.nairaland.com/2864851/how-successfully-diagnosed-2014-ferrari#41969822
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by Rayd502(m): 3:43pm On Jan 08, 2019
SLADsys:

I just ran into your thread, coincidentally I opened a similar thread a few days ago cause I experienced this behavior from my car after an oil change.
My car also uses the same engine like yours.

How did you go about resolving this issue?
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by sooperrescue(m): 9:30pm On Jan 08, 2019
Is it 5w20 oil that is recommended for your car? If it still persists, check the oil coolant

1 Like

Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by ssgi4in1(m): 7:52pm On Nov 28, 2019
kingreign:

The cold rattle of death... Usually in 09-10 Corolla.
Change that part in the picture
http://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/2009-2010-toyota-corolla-brief-engine-rattle-noise-on-cold-start-up-0087-09.416/

The picture shown here is quite misleading. The vvt-i gear to replace is the intake side and not the exhaust side. My mechanic said he found a way to fix this and I pointed him to the picture here. My car eventually threw p0014 without the problem solved. I went back to the TSB and saw it is the intake side that should be replaced. I eventually bought the two gears off Amazon at close to USD 600 but it eventually fixed the rattle and the p0014.

As someone who has experienced this, ignore that picture and replace the other one, that's the intake side vvti gear.
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by Bonjovi13: 11:00pm On Jul 12, 2020
ssgi4in1:

The picture shown here is quite misleading. The vvt-i gear to replace is the intake side and not the exhaust side. My mechanic said he found a way to fix this and I pointed him to the picture here. My car eventually threw p0014 without the problem solved. I went back to the TSB and saw it is the intake side that should be replaced. I eventually bought the two gears off Amazon at close to USD 600 but it eventually fixed the rattle and the p0014.

As someone who has experienced this, ignore that picture and replace the other one, that's the intake side vvti gear.

Hi
I am experiencing the same rattling on cold start. Toyota corolla 2009.
I am in Japan.Where can I get the gear? Any pics for the intake side of the vvti camshaft gear?Is it a complicated job?
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by ssgi4in1(m): 7:08pm On Jul 19, 2020
It's a straight forward job. I ordered the gear from Amazon. There is a TSB. for this repair.
Re: Brief Rattle Noise On Cold Startup After Oil Change by ssgi4in1(m): 7:10pm On Jul 19, 2020
The part number for my 2012 Rav4 is 13050-0V010 you can search it

(1) (Reply)

Sienna 2000. Excessive Fuel Consumption / My Toyota Highlander Hybrid Won't Start: "Check Hybrid System" / Major Cons Of Two-door Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.