Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,481 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice (6729 Views)

Guy In Lekki Lagos Designed This Car... (pictures) / what will you do if you got This Car As A Gift ? / Who Remember This Car? Who Can Guess Nickname? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by charly24: 9:32pm On Sep 09, 2014
Hello d Gurus in d house pls am about to pay for my friend's car c class which he is selling but from d advise I got from few of my friends they ar asking me to go for honda Acedemy.but my chanllege now is choice frm dis 3 cars I hv in mind to buy. camry 2.2 1999 modern, honda acedemy 1998 modern and c class 1999 modern pls all d gurus in d house which of dis cars is more durable, cheap to maintain and fuel economical for am a salary earner cos am buying nigeria used and its my first car thank u for ur contributions
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:53pm On Sep 09, 2014
Quietly buy your "modern" camry it can suffer anticipated abuse.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by shortgun(m): 9:57pm On Sep 09, 2014
Buy d C class it's durable, forget about all these Japanese toys they call cars.

1 Like

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by charly24: 10:12pm On Sep 09, 2014
Thank u very much Gaz and shortgun pls contribution need. Thanks
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Nobody: 10:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
shortgun: Buy d C class it's durable, forget about all these Japanese toys they called cars.
For an income earner,C classAr u joking or what?Like what gazzuzz said quietly buy d modern camry,chikena

3 Likes

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by charly24: 10:44pm On Sep 09, 2014
Thank u Edozie for ur contribution pls more contribution my good pple N L were are all dis cars guru siena,Ikenna pls I need all una contributions Oooo
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Nobody: 11:13pm On Sep 09, 2014
Buy the Camry already and be a happy driver.

If you truly loved the Mercedes, which I personally beleive is a superior car if everything is the same amongst all three, you would have bought it already.

Mercedes, IMHO, is not one of those cars that folks buy on a whim or you need transportation. You buy a Mercedes because you appreciate German engineering.

1 Like

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Kk4(m): 12:58am On Sep 10, 2014
A friend sold his 2.2 and bought c class. Me cop mine 2 months ago, most people prefer c class because its very comfortable and durable. Fuel economy is aight too.
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by charly24: 5:02am On Sep 10, 2014
Thank u CityNG and kk4 for ur response pls more comments from gurus in the house thanks
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by hayor2014(m): 7:28am On Sep 10, 2014
Want peace of mind... Buy the camry

2 Likes

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by senator2k9(m): 8:51am On Sep 10, 2014
Buy that camry and u wil enjoy automobile at its best.....I have used a camry for like 6months now and I dnt even have a mechanic. All I do is servicing

1 Like

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 10, 2014
senator2k9: Buy that camry and u wil enjoy automobile at its best.....I have used a camry for like 6months now and I dnt even have a mechanic. All I do is servicing

Who does your servicing? You or your chiropractor?

6 Likes

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 10, 2014
I dont believe in the fact that some people say one car is better than another. For a used car, it entirely depends on the state of the car when you buy it. Though camry may have an edge over the benz, but it depends on the owner's use/abuse of the car, the mechanic who repairs your car and what kind of spare parts you buy. What is good for the goose may certainly not be good for the gander.

Are you a novice, amateur or professional in car maintenance?
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by bravolad(m): 10:10am On Sep 10, 2014
The decision to buy a specific brand of car depends on what the buyer wants out of a car. There a consensus of opinion on this thread concerning the Toyota Camry due mainly to reliability, durability, spare parts availability, mechanics are easily come by and above all, the car can absorb some abuse as someone observed.

On the other hand, the Benz could be durable and reliable (both words are used loosely) but what about mechanics and parts? It also has a poor fuel efficiency in comparison to the Camry. Performance in handling around curves is great and also a beautiful design for the Benz. Across the various trims, it has and average mpg 20 city/26.3 hwy whereas the Camry has an average mpg 23 city/30.7 across trims excluding the V6. In the long run, it will cost you more to keep the Benz than the Camry.

Within your budged, if you need a car for aesthetic, social status and performance, the Benz is your best bet. But if you need a car for daily commute, the Camry has an excellent reliability rating, low maintenance, good gas mileage and a good resale value at some point. Remember, your car is as good as you keep it.

2 Likes

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 10, 2014
chiebube: I dont believe in the fact that some people say one car is better than another. For a used car, it entirely depends on the state of the car when you buy it. Though camry may have an edge over the benz, but it depends on the owner's use/abuse of the car, the mechanic who repairs your car and what kind of spare parts you buy. What is good for the goose may ceratinly not be good for the gander.

Are you a novice, amateur or professional in car maintenance?

You either skipped over this part "if everything is the same on all three cars" or you don't know what it means.

1 Like

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 10, 2014
CityNG:

Who does your servicing? You or your chiropractor?

Roflmao
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Nobody: 11:06am On Sep 10, 2014
@bravolad I just can't comprehend how you guys compare fuel economy. Benz is less economical really? On what terms? What engine are you comparing?

Is the 1999 Camry v6 more economical than the 1999 Class C180?

Please if you want to compare economy state the engines in question. If the OP gets a 1999 C180 it's more economical than the 1999 Camry 2.2.

One thing is for certain if the OP is a car guy he won't even ask any question he must have done his research and gone with his desired car. If you don't have a passion for German engineering why throw a Benz in the equation.

4 Likes

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by bravolad(m): 1:05pm On Sep 10, 2014
cne010: @bravolad I just can't comprehend how you guys compare fuel economy. Benz is less economical really? On what terms? What engine are you comparing?
Is the 1999 Camry v6 more economical than the 1999 Class C180?
Please if you want to compare economy state the engines in question. If the OP gets a 1999 C180 it's more economical than the 1999 Camry 2.2.
One thing is for certain if the OP is a car guy he won't even ask any question he must have done his research and gone with his desired car. If you don't have a passion for German engineering why throw a Benz in the equation.

Seeking opinions from a car forum isn't a bad thing to do. It's done all over the world. Sometimes, other opinions help to hone an individual's taste(s)and choice(s).

When making a comparison, you compare an apple to an apple. If you read my comment well, I did not compare the v6 models of both cars. Both cars may not necessarily be compared but on the premise of the poster's need, the Camry is a lot more economical both in terms of fueling and over all maintenance cost.

Yes, no two cars attract the same cost of maintenance. But for a daily driver, commuting between his/her office and home, running errands, visiting friends and traveling occasionally, it makes economic sense to go with the Camry. I speak from experience as well. I have used the 2001 model of the Camry and can discuss it extensively. I also have a lawyer friend who uses the 1999 C class Benz. Over the past six (6) months, he's put up the Benz for sale because of associated cost of maintenance. He's not been able to get a buyer for the value of the car.

In as much as some people don't buy cars with the intention to resale in the future, I dare say that majority of car owners in Nigeria have resale value in mind when buying a particular car. OP is a salary earner and surely would love to recoup some of the money he/she invested in buying the car.
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by charly24: 7:25pm On Sep 10, 2014
Thank u so much men wen sabi @ bravo I say thank u too for ur. Time. its for daily commuting to n fro work and maybe see few friends @ weekend I tik I will go for d camry thank u all
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Nobody: 7:31pm On Sep 10, 2014
charly24: Thank u so much men wen sabi @ bravo I say thank u too for ur. Time. its for daily commuting to n fro work and maybe see few friends @ weekend I tik I will go for d camry thank u all

An astute choice.

Later you can get a Benzo.
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by adanny01(m): 12:56am On Sep 11, 2014
For me, honda is the cheapest to maintain only if you know how. It needs more attention than the others and frequently too. Major weak point of Honda is ball joints which are relatively cheap at 2.5k average (chinese new pair or belgium).

For a newbie, camry will suit well as it requires less frequent attention but a little more expensive on maintenance but relatively durable compared to honda. Major weakness is shockabsorbers and it bites (must be new).

The Benz will give you the least trouble but when it does, your savings will be in trouble. Major weakness are electronics and harnesses.

1 Like

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Ikenna351(m): 9:04am On Sep 11, 2014
charly24: Hello d Gurus in d house pls am about to pay for my friend's car c class which he is selling but from d advise I got from few of my friends they ar asking me to go for honda Acedemy.but my chanllege now is choice frm dis 3 cars I hv in mind to buy. camry 2.2 1999 modern, honda acedemy 1998 modern and c class 1999 modern pls all d gurus in d house which of dis cars is more durable, cheap to maintain and fuel economical for am a salary earner cos am buying nigeria used and its my first car thank u for ur contributions

I really don't understand what you mean by "salary earner"? How many cars on our roads do you think are not owned by salary earners? There are people who probably earn less than you, yet they own cars and haven't gone bankrupt. All it takes is the Will and right mindset. Stop playing safe, because you wont grow with it. The right mindset you need is how you can convert the car from liability to asset when you finally get one. It doesn't mean using the car for taxi. There are smarter ways to achieve that.

As for your reason for creating this thread. I am going to give it to you straight, since I believe you are a man. So I don't need to sugar coat my words, because you need to hear what it is and deal with it.

No matter which brand or car, as long as its a used car, what matters is the state of the car. A Keke NAPEP in bad shape will cost more to run than a full sized car. Let me illustrate this with a story.

Yesterday, on my way back from Anambra to Abuja, I stopped at Enugu and picked up a female cousin. She was coming to Abuja to take care of some personal stuffs. While in the journey she was telling me how her Benz C180 1996 model has been good to her. I couldn't help but observed she referred to her car as my "baby". All she was saying were praises and praises, how durable, reliable and economical the car has been to her, from the previous cars she has used or owned. She is a medical doctor and works at UNTH. She drives to Ituku Ozalla Enugu every work day from town. She once had to do a brief course at UNN and she was driving from Enugu town to Nsukka almost every weekend and back to Enugu, all by herself in her baby. Yet the baby never stranded her or gave her headache. All she could recall doing on her baby were usual servicing. The major work she has done on the car, she said, was A/C. The A/C compressor trigger module failed and she hasn't been able to find a good replacement. They suggested to her to bypass the module, but she stubbornly said no, until she finds a module that works. She couldn't believe the car fuel economy could be better than her previous cars. Two were actually Toyotas (1 is a family car).

She got this car in 2012 and when I saw the car yesterday before we continued the journey to Abuja, I couldn't believe the car was still in shape it was when she first got it 3 years ago. Why is she enjoying her baby? Because she said no to abuse and stuck to it. I could remember then, she was always calling me to educate her on how to keep her Benz in good shape and I didn't hesitate to tell her the secret, "Preventative Maintenance and NO to abuse", and she kept it. Even till that yesterday, she didn't allow them touch her thermostat, not to think of mess with the viscous fan. I couldn't help but admire her spirit. Unfortunately, the same Benz model, you will see my fellow men saying the car is problematic, its a gas guzzler, its that or its this.

Now imagine if she wants to sell the car today, don't you think you will enjoy the car if you succeed in getting it, even though its Nigerian used or Benz? I told you the story above not to discourage you buying your "modern " Camry you have decided to buy, but to make you realise that your 3rd name could change to "Nightmare" if you buy a badly maintained or abused Camry. If you buy maltreated car, it can make you change your current Church, if you are a Christian, because you will believe the witches in your village have grown stronger than your Church. Like I always tell People who come to seek advice from me whether to switch to Lion brand. My usual advice to them is, " If you know you cant afford not to abuse a car, then stay away from Lions". Its the simple truth. The modern Lions have been designed not to tolerate any form of abuse. Make that mistake and you will curse the day you saw that car advert, let alone talked to the seller. Because an abused Lion will deal with the owner mercilessly.

Whichever car or brand you decide to buy, be sure its in a shape you can handle, at least to some extent. Its a used car, so you don't expect it to be 99% in good shape.

The secret of having a trouble-free cars like I enjoy from my lions is , "Treat your car like a baby and it will treat you in return like a King". If you treat or handle her badly, it will tell on her on her and you. The same way, if you handle or treat your wife badly, it will tell on her and your family, no matter how she tries to pretend outside her home or in public. Because whether we want to admit that or not, a happy family is one with a happy wife.

Ikenna

8 Likes

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by bravolad(m): 1:49pm On Sep 11, 2014
Ikenna351:
Because she said no to abuse and stuck to it. I could remember then, she was always calling me to educate her on how to keep her Benz in good shape and I didn't hesitate to tell her the secret, "Preventative Maintenance and NO to abuse", and she kept it. Even till that yesterday, she didn't allow them touch her thermostat, not to think of mess with the viscous fan. I couldn't help but admire her spirit. Unfortunately, the same Benz model, you will see my fellow men saying the car is problematic, its a gas guzzler, its that or its this.

I think we are all in agreement that buying a well maintained car is key to peace of mind in addition to also cultivating good maintenance habits for onward retainment. However, I also do not think, in the context of the poster's enquiry that anybody has said (at least on this thread) that a 1999 C class Guzzles petrol or that it is problematic. But in comparison to a 1999 2.2 Toyota Camry, the former is less fuel efficient and would cost more to keep in the long run. That's the pivot of this discussion.

People buy cars relative to their ability to replace parts, fuel, delay certain maintenance work on the car for about a week or more depending on financial circumstance, and of course, enjoy a reasonably seamless resale for value of the car. Now the Camry can achieve the above effect with ease unlike the Benz.
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by charly24: 10:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
Hhmm oga ikenna n bravo u guys ar just tuu much I understand very well wot u ar saying thanks boss
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Ikenna351(m): 7:18am On Sep 12, 2014
bravolad:

I think we are all in agreement that buying a well maintained car is key to peace of mind in addition to also cultivating good maintenance habits for onward retainment. However, I also do not think, in the context of the poster's enquiry that anybody has said (at least on this thread) that a 1999 C class Guzzles petrol or that it is problematic. But in comparison to a 1999 2.2 Toyota Camry, the former is less fuel efficient and would cost more to keep in the long run. That's the pivot of this discussion.

People buy cars relative to their ability to replace parts, fuel, delay certain maintenance work on the car for about a week or more depending on financial circumstance, and of course, enjoy a reasonably seamless resale for value of the car. Now the Camry can achieve the above effect with ease unlike the Benz.

You want to tell me 1999 Toyota Camry 2.2 L will drink less than Benz W202 C180? Or, is your point is, "Because its Toyota, it must consume less than Benz, irrespective of engines or car sizes?

Ikenna

2 Likes

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 12, 2014
I prefer a MB over a Toyota.

But...in this case, it's all about saving the pennies. For an average income earner in Nigeria, probably buying his or her first car, I would NOT advice a Mercedes-Benz over 10-years-old. Running costs will be significantly higher than with the Toyota Camry, even if both engine capacities were the same. Heck, I would go as far as stating a '98 Camry 2.2 will have overall lower running costs than a '98 MB C180.

Unless the user intends to do his or her own wrenching, I would go with the Camry. Function over form.

1 Like

Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by abatically(m): 9:17am On Sep 12, 2014
Ikenna351:

You want to tell me 1999 Toyota Camry 2.2 L will drink less than Benz W202 C180? Or, is your point is, "Because its Toyota, it must consume less than Benz, irrespective of engines or car sizes?

Ikenna

Fuel economy is not only dependent on engine size. On paper the c180 w202 and Camry 1999 i4 with 2.2L engine have almost the same mpg even though the Camry's engine is bigger. But in reality the Camry has better fuel economy and easily managed than c180 w202.
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by charly24: 6:21pm On Sep 12, 2014
Few days to go thank u guys please more advise Oooo cos e no dey tu much. Thanks
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by FlyboyZee: 10:37pm On Sep 13, 2014
bravolad:

Seeking opinions from a car forum isn't a bad thing to do. It's done all over the world. Sometimes, other opinions help to hone an individual's taste(s)and choice(s).

When making a comparison, you compare an apple to an apple. If you read my comment well, I did not compare the v6 models of both cars. Both cars may not necessarily be compared but on the premise of the poster's need, the Camry is a lot more economical both in terms of fueling and over all maintenance cost.

Yes, no two cars attract the same cost of maintenance. But for a daily driver, commuting between his/her office and home, running errands, visiting friends and traveling occasionally, it makes economic sense to go with the Camry. I speak from experience as well. I have used the 2001 model of the Camry and can discuss it extensively. I also have a lawyer friend who uses the 1999 C class Benz. Over the past six (6) months, he's put up the Benz for sale because of associated cost of maintenance. He's not been able to get a buyer for the value of the car.

In as much as some people don't buy cars with the intention to resale in the future, I dare say that majority of car owners in Nigeria have resale value in mind when buying a particular car. OP is a salary earner and surely would love to recoup some of the money he/she invested in buying the car.
You sound one of those Joes on the street who feels a Toyota is everything. Never ever ever compare a Toyota Camry to a Mercedes Benz C-class. The C-class is in the same category as the Toyota Corolla and not the Camry. The C Class regularly comes with a 1.8l engine except for tushed up models. It is a continuation of the Benz E190, as in another name for the 190. Your arguments would have been valid, but they made no sense as soon as you started comparing the Camry to the C class. It seems like comparing a goat to a cow or an 18 year old boy to a 35 year old man.
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by abatically(m): 10:46pm On Sep 13, 2014
FlyboyZee:
You sound one of those Joes on the street who feels a Toyota is everything. Never ever ever compare a Toyota Camry to a Mercedes Benz C-class. The C-class is in the same category as the Toyota Corolla and not the Camry. The C Class regularly comes with a 1.8l engine except for tushed up models. It is a continuation of the Benz E190, as in another name for the 190. Your arguments would have been valid, but they made no sense as soon as you started comparing the Camry to the C class. It seems like comparing a goat to a cow or an 18 year old boy to a 35 year old man.

You are so wrong man. A Mercedes Benz C class is not in the same class as a Toyota corolla. In fact the cheapest C class will buy 2 corollas brand new. It is even more expensive than the highest Camry trim. A C class is a compact executive (luxury) sedan while a Toyota Corolla is a sub compact sedan. Yes both are compact but one is entry level luxury while the other is a passenger car. It is only fair to compare a C class to a Camry, the C class (though compact) is even more luxurious than a camry.
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by Nobody: 12:36am On Sep 14, 2014
Oga,good advise,go. For a camry if possible d one pple call pencil,my parent once owned a benz and I no wetin dere eye c and also a camry and I can say boldly d camry served us well.
Re: About Paying For This Car Kindly Advice by bravolad(m): 7:11am On Sep 14, 2014
FlyboyZee:

Perhaps, I need a nairaland translator to understand the above write-up...

abatically:
You are so wrong man. A Mercedes Benz C class is not in the same class as a Toyota corolla. In fact the cheapest C class will buy 2 corollas brand new. It is even more expensive than the highest Camry trim. A C class is a compact executive (luxury) sedan while a Toyota Corolla is a sub compact sedan. Yes both are compact but one is entry level luxury while the other is a passenger car. It is only fair to compare a C class to a Camry, the C class (though compact) is even more luxurious than a camry.

Good reaction to that. I could not have said it better.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

£290,000 Lamborghini Aventador For 22-year-old Saudi Prince. / Rav4 L Or J / American Automotive Technician Training Live In Abuja From July 1, 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.