Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers (5706 Views)

Website Reviews (Airline Flight And Booking Website) / Website Reviews, Anyone? / Website Reviews Wanted - Farriel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by Mustay(m): 12:44pm On Oct 30, 2008
Here's the list i got from http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/nigeria.htm

This comes after the "Punch Newspaper possibly hacked" thread. This is a thread to review Nigerian newspapers' websites; their layouts, features etc

* Abuja Mirror
* The Abuja Inquirer (Abuja, Portharcourt, Lagos, Asaba, kaduna) [In English]
* African Business Information Service [In English]
* Almizan (Lagos)
* Arewa
* The Beam newspaper (Port Harcourt) [In English]
* BiafraNigeriaWorld
* Businessday News [In English]
* BusinessWorld [In English]
* Champion News
* Compass (Lagos, Portharcourt, Abuja, Ibadan) [In English]
* Complete Sports (Oyo, Ibadan, Lagos Abuja) [In English]
* Confidence Newspaper
* Daily Independent
* Daily Trust [In English]
* Financial Standard News (Lagos)
* The Guardian
* GlobalStar [In English]
* Leadership Nigeria (Abuja) [In English]
* The Nation [In English]
* National Daily Newspaper [In English]
* National Mirror Newspapers (National) [In English]
* National Network [In English]
* National Point [In English]
* New Age
* The News (Lagos)
* News Star Newspaper (Lagos) [In English]
* News Watch
* Niger Delta Standard (Delta, Edo, Bayelsa, Ondo)
* Nigeria CommunicationsWeek (Lagos, Abuja)
* Nigeria horizon [In English]
* Nigerian News
* Nigeria World
* Nigerian Tribune [In English]
* MyNaijaNews (Lagos,Abuja,Niger-delta) [In English]
* The Pioneer [In English]
* The Pointer [In English]
* Pointer Express (Lagos) [In English]
* The Port Harcourt Telegraph (Rivers State) [In English]
* The Punch
* Sensor Newspaper [In English]
* Sub-Saharan Informer [In English]
* The Sun
* The Sun News Online (Ismahi) [In English]
* The Tide (River State) [In English]
* The Times of Nigeria (Abuja) [In English]
* This Day
* Today
* The Triumph Newspapers (Kano)
* Vanguard
* Weekly Trust

You can google them up to check their web addresses but of all that I've seen, Business day has cause for me to still believe that newspapers take the needs of their readers in mind.

Last 2 weeks, I contacted the editor of BusinessDay about the "abnormalities" of their old site but instead of responding(perhaps the "new outlook launch" had been in the offing), they changed the layout of their newspaper on October 20 and added some features to the paper to ensure reader's have an "easy read".

What do you think about them(naija papers?)
So what do y'all think?
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by Mustay(m): 1:04pm On Oct 30, 2008
this is business day in 2004

Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by Mustay(m): 1:06pm On Oct 30, 2008
05 and 06 and today

Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by yawatide(f): 1:30pm On Oct 30, 2008
Mustay,

About a year ago when I was looking for news sites to update my news site with, I stumbled upon that site you provided and went through them all. In the end, I settled down on 8, based on content and how I felt it best applied to my target audience. Of that 8, less than half have RSS feeds which means that each morning, I have to go through those that don't and manually comb for news that I need. Sucks!

IMHO, these are perhaps the worst of the worst.  Gives me nightmares daily ever since I ran into them:

http://www.verbatimnewsonline.com/
http://www.pioneernewsonline.com
http://www.weeklyinsightng.com

By the way, notice the similarities b/w the first 2? That's right, they were done by the same person.

It's one thing to boast of having an online paper but come on, itz totally another to produce something that is visually appealing and that begs me to come back for more.

Here are a couple I actually like:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/
http://www.thenationonlineng.com/default.asp

I would add http://www.independentngonline.com/ to the list but they seem to have a disease which makes them associate the wrong photos with the wrong stories.  Like once, they were talking about football but had the photo of Serena Williams next to it.  Seriously!  tongue
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by Mustay(m): 4:37pm On Oct 30, 2008
Methinks vanguard( http://www.vanguardngr.com/) is quite scattered. It disturbs my eyes.

I've not seen anyone better than BusinessDay presently - it reminds me of a particular UK newspaper.

. . .and perhaps Punch comes next.

What I've discovered is that most leave the fonts "defautly" - as in Times New Roman. the fonts ain't "formatted" to look beautiful undecided
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by Mustay(m): 4:41pm On Oct 30, 2008
The aim of this thread is not to just criticize or **** but it's for them to correct their anomalies.
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by yawatide(f): 5:37pm On Oct 30, 2008
hmm mustay, u for run for politics. Could there be a relationship b/w criticizing and "for them to correct their anomalies"? tongue

Anyways, just checked out business day. Clean as hell (which I like) and well laid out but I didn't quite like the perpetual vertical scroll.

If you want to talk about bad layout, let's go back to Punch wink Those ads at the top gotz to go! On a 1024x768, all i see are the ads when I go to the site initially.
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by kehers(m): 6:05pm On Oct 30, 2008
@Mustay
Did I hear u say Punch comes next? Geeez, that site really sucks! Scattered layout, scattered ads, man I can pull out a million things done wrong on that site!

@Yawa
Talking RSS, I was once in ur shoes too. Good u found at least some that do have feeds. Didn't in my own time. How can you say you are a news site with no feeds? And for that alone all these newspapers sites are shit to me
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by yawatide(f): 6:40pm On Oct 30, 2008
kehers,

Thanks for your link. I have bookmarked it. Hopefully you don't delete it anytime soon wink
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by Mustay(m): 5:05pm On Oct 31, 2008
True. Mozilla's outlook has no vertical scroll bar for business day. I do not load the page on IE (only did that anyway once to subscribe to the feeds on my feeds gadget). Also tried Crazy Browser and it had the same result with IE.

Alexa says 86% pages load faster than BDay's.

I don't know but most hits are on Punch and Thisday's sites - so u see my concern for punch undecided

our papers are image-makers; instead of wasting money on politically-motivated "Nigeria; Africa's pride" kinda projects, can't these sites play the role too?

Moreover, Fashola posed such question some time back
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by Mustay(m): 5:21pm On Oct 31, 2008
Have you checked this out: http://www.businessdayonline.com/Businesslife/

I actually just noticed the error on the page. The links do not correspond to the title. How does CBN correlate with www.joomla.org undecided

Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by yawatide(f): 5:28pm On Oct 31, 2008
Mustay, dare I ask if you have something against BDay? tongue

You post over 20 links yet all you seem to talk about is BDay?

Nothing dey o. Just curious.
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by Mustay(m): 5:54pm On Oct 31, 2008
I expected that to come.

I'm talking 'bout it cos it seems to be the "newest" in town.

i thought we were taking this turn by turn abi na paper by paper
undecided wink
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by yawatide(f): 11:15am On Nov 01, 2008
Sun news online: why is that site up and running for what it seems only half the time? Sometimes, I visit and the site just hangs? Very discouraging. Could someone in the know explain what is happening? Is it that they didn't get enough bandwidth for the traffic they get or what?
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by OmniPotens(m): 2:44pm On Nov 01, 2008
I have noticed this too for some time now. It makes me not want to visit their web for news whenever I want to read the day's news. Although they claim to be the most read and with alot of traffic online, I still wonder how they manage to remain there with this kind of problem.
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by yawatide(f): 5:04pm On Nov 01, 2008
Omnipotens, newsflash: Punch is the most read, at least based on stats on Alexa. I think it's just a marketing punchline.

In other news:

Here's another - www.pioneerng.com

Date Launched:
March, 2008

Frequency of updates:
Wasn't updated even once till July. After that, it was updated once a week, then 3 times a week. 3 weeks ago, it started having "bandwidth exceeded" displayed on the home page. Now, the site says, "address not found".
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by OmniPotens(m): 5:47pm On Nov 01, 2008
Thanks for this info. I really appreciate. Have been believing it was sunnews but now I think I've known the fact. Alexa rankings can't be wrong you know wink
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by Mustay(m): 7:07pm On Nov 01, 2008
For the records, i.e traffic details,

Punch comes first

Thisday comes second

Guardian comes Third.

yawa, pioneer doesn't even open.
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by yawatide(f): 2:56am On Nov 02, 2008
Let's read the last part of my last post, herein reproduced (now you are making me feel like a lawyer wink):
Frequency of updates:
Wasn't updated even once till July. After that, it was updated once a week, then 3 times a week. 3 weeks ago, it started having "bandwidth exceeded" displayed on the home page. Now, the site says, "address not found".

Note the bolded portion wink
Re: Website Reviews Of Nigeria Newspapers by KivosWebmasters: 3:40pm On May 06, 2015
yawatide:

The Nigerian Internet Webmasters Association (NIWA) has the following aims and objectives:

1. To promote Website designers, developers, programmers and freelancers in Nigeria
2. To help educate members on the need for ethical conduct during programing and web development and all other online activities.
3. To promote a positive online image for Nigeria through its members

Visit http://www.niwa.com.ng for more details.

(1) (Reply)

9 Things You Thought Are True About Bloggers By SIR A-ONE / How To Create Premium Joomla Template With Dreamweaver / Yii Framework: The Framework Jumia And Kaymu Were Built On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.