Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,980 members, 7,838,490 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram (1200 Views)

Fierce Fighting Between Nigerian Army And Boko Haram Over Maiduguri / Video:testimonies Of Hard Fighting Nigerian Troops On The Frontlines / South African Warns Against Fighting Nigerian Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by MisterLongman(m): 9:18pm On Sep 12, 2014
vanguardngr:
After three hours of fierce fighting, Nigerian troops
routs Boko Haram – Army spokesman

Nigeria’s military on Friday claimed to have routed Boko
Haram militants near the Borno state capital Maiduguri, as
residents in another under-siege town complained of food
shortages and slavery.
Army spokesman Timothy Antigha said in a statement that
the Islamists launched a “massive” attack on the town of
Konduga, about 35 kilometres (22 miles) from Maiduguri, at
0430 GMT Friday.
“After about three hours of fierce fighting, Nigerian troops
routed the Boko Haram fighting force of over 100 terrorists,”
he said, adding that the insurgents suffered heavy
casualties.
Four pick-up trucks with mounted anti-aircraft guns, three
heavy machine guns, more than 30 AK-47 assault rifles and
two global positioning systems were recovered by troops, he
added.
“The entire area is still being combed for terrorists, who may
have escaped with bullet wounds. Morale of troops remains
very high,” Antigha said.
The battle came a day after the Borno Elders Forum called
for military reinforcements to protect Maiduguri, warning
that the key city was “completely surrounded” by the
militants.
There has been mounting concern at the extent of Boko
Haram’s land grab in Borno and neighbouring Yobe and
Adamawa states, which has raised concerns about a possible
loss of government control.
Nigeria’s military have repeatedly rejected claims about
Boko Haram taking over towns and villages, despite multiple
testimonies from fleeing residents.
Boko Haram stormed the town of Bama, 70 kilometres by
road from Maiduguri, on September 1.
Thousands of people fled to the state capital but there have
since been conflicting reports about whether the militants
were still in control.
- ‘Treated like slaves’ -
The Bama Development Foundation, a community group,
maintained that the town was still “under the custody and
control of the dreaded Boko Haram sect” and many
residents were still trapped.
The group’s leader, Mohammed Hassan, said those trapped
in the town were “dying of hunger and stress” and urgent
action was needed to reclaim the town.
No military offensive had been launched to reclaim Bama,
Hassan said, refuting the government’s claim that its troops
had recaptured the town.
“The Nigerian security forces are yet to return to Bama after
they left on Monday 1st September,” he said.
Some locals who escaped said hundreds of women, children
and the elderly were trapped and that Boko Haram had
appointed their own “emir” or leader at the deserted palace
of the traditional chief.
“There is no food in Bama and residents have to go to the
palace to beg the emir for grains every few days,” Hajjo
Muhammad, who escaped to Maiduguri on Wednesday, told
reporters.
She said residents were forced to beg for medicine at the
palace and some were dying of illness, particularly children.
Permission was even required to get water from the river.
“We just live like slaves,” said Muhammad, who fled at night
through the bush.
Another woman who left the town on Thursday, Maimuna
Ali, said a lack of fuel had forced the insurgents, who were
flying their black ensign over the town, to patrol Bama on
foot.
Residents were able to escape as the insurgents slept, she
said.
Decomposing bodies of hundreds of local men who were
killed in the fighting littered the streets, young men had
been imprisoned and the elderly forced to swear on the
Koran not to fight, she added.
“Those that took the oath had their small fingers inked just
like the way a voter’s finger is inked after casting a vote
during elections,” said Ali.
Anyone caught by Boko Haram patrols without the ink stain
risked imprisonment for two to three days, as well as
whipping and being forced to take the oath, she added.
www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/three-hours-fierce-fighting-nigerian-troops-routs-boko-haram/
Re: After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by kilokeys(m): 9:22pm On Sep 12, 2014
na wa o
its the beginning of the end of boko haram..
Re: After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by ichidodo: 9:26pm On Sep 12, 2014
I remember in 1989 when i was a soldier...
Re: After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by NewDelhi(m): 9:29pm On Sep 12, 2014
ichidodo: I remember in 1989 when i was a soldier...
So what happened? They shot your ballz?

1 Like

Re: After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by nely(m): 9:30pm On Sep 12, 2014
May God help and bless Nigeria Army, give them strength to fight this senselss demons who have nothing to loss, and to those E-boko haram warriors, critizing Nigeria army remember that its not easy for someone to put his/her life on the line to defend this nation who dont care about them but i know God will guide and protect them for us ...God bless Nigeria, God bless Nigeria Army, God bless Africa.#SAYNOTOTERRORISM#
Re: After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by Plus10(m): 9:37pm On Sep 12, 2014
Kudos to our gallant soldiers...btw I know not everybody will like this...I advise that they should turn a new leave and support our millitary because the reign of Boko haram would soon come to an end our in country.

God bless the good people of Nigeria...together we shall win this war!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by texaco1: 9:38pm On Sep 12, 2014
kilokeys: na wa o
its the beginning of the end of boko haram..
did u read the whole article or just the topic heading? Maiduguri is completely surrounded by bh and the elders are calling for help,this particular fighting took place just 35km to maiduguri,bama is still under bh control and u think this is the beginning of the end ?there is still a lot to be done by nigeria army if bh is to be completely eliminated. So far for almost 2weeks now bama the second biggest city is under boko haram!this speaks volumes about the true situation of things
Re: After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by MisterLongman(m): 9:52pm On Sep 12, 2014
ichidodo: I remember in 1989 when i was a soldier...
what happened Mr. Dodo.......
Re: After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by Qelvin(m): 10:10pm On Sep 12, 2014
The NA is doing incredibly well,but I still think we need to boost up our personnel! Thankfully we are blessed with numbers...with our population and present situation,we should expand our army to about 300,000 men on ground! With a reserve force of about 100,000 strong...let's adopt the Ethiopian model.
Re: After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by kilokeys(m): 10:34pm On Sep 12, 2014
texaco1: did u read the whole article or just the topic heading? Maiduguri is completely surrounded by bh and the elders are calling for help,this particular fighting took place just 35km to maiduguri,bama is still under bh control and u think this is the beginning of the end ?there is still a lot to be done by nigeria army if bh is to be completely eliminated. So far for almost 2weeks now bama the second biggest city is under boko haram!this speaks volumes about the true situation of things
they keep getting killed in their tens and hundreds.. they r quite disorganized to pepertrate crimes outside borno . so i feel thier power snd hold in nigeria is diminishing.
Re: After Three Hours Of Fierce Fighting, Nigerian Troops Routs Boko Haram by texaco1: 11:57pm On Sep 12, 2014
kilokeys:
they keep getting killed in their tens and hundreds.. they r quite disorganized to pepertrate crimes outside borno . so i feel thier power snd hold in nigeria is diminishing.
I sincerely pray and hope so.

(1) (Reply)

21 Ways To Make A Name For Yourself / Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro / 2015- Who Is Afraid Of Buhari? (simple Facts)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.