Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,084 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro (1194 Views)

Why I Won’t Resign As Senate President’ – Bukola Saraki / EFCC Arrests Abba Moro, Others Over 2014 Immigration / I Won’t Resign Even If I Don’t Defeat Boko Haram By December, Says Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by ifyclose2(m): 2:35pm On Oct 20, 2014
The Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, on Monday explained why
he is yet to leave office seven months after he masterminded a
poorly organised recruitment exercise that killed no fewer than
20 applicants in stampedes at overcrowded venues across the
country.
After the March 15 tragedy, several Nigerians demanded the
resignation or dismissal of Mr. Moro and the Comptroller-
General of Immigration, David Parradang, as well as their
criminal prosecution for involuntary homicide.
The duo, with Mr. Moro more culpable, had put in place a sham
recruitment process that enabled the interior ministry to extort
at least N520 million in compulsory levy imposed on applicants.
The minister, who initially blamed impatience and refusal by
applicants to abide by instructions for the tragedy, has since
accepted responsibility for the incident.
He has however refused to step down.
But speaking on a Channels TV’s breakfast programme, Sunrise,
on Monday, Mr. Moro made it clear he would not resign, saying
he would rather stay put in office to clear the mess caused by
the incidence.
“The point at which we are now is not about resignation. That
time has gone,” Mr. Morro said in respond to a question over
why he refused to quit despite widespread calls by Nigerians on
him to do so. “At the time (people were calling for his
resignation), I think emotions were very high. I was in the eye
of a storm.
“At that time, a lot of options were on the table… The issue is
do you resign or do you stay to sort out the problem that have
been created?
“I decided that staying and mopping up the mess caused by the
lack of proper implementation of our plans is better. That’s
point we are now.”
The minister said Nigerians should consider the tragedy as an
accident which he too did not plan for or envisage.
“I also have families. I didn’t set out on that journey knowing
that accident would occur that would lead to the death of human
beings.
“We took everything into proper perspective. If we had
succeeded, a few Nigerians would have congratulated us for the
job well done.
“But now that accident has happened, we will learn from what
happened,” he said.
Mr. Moro also explained why his ministry was yet to implement
a directive by President Goodluck Jonathan that three family
members of each dead applicant be given automatic
employments.
He said after President Jonathan made the announcement, the
Federal Government also set up a committee over the
recruitment tragedy, and that his ministry preferred to wait for
the panel to present its report before acting.
“Finally, the report is ready, waiting for submission and
implementation,” the minister said. “The next level is
implementation. What I can say is that the people affected
should exercise understanding and patience. Nobody will allow
further mistakes.”
Only 4,556 vacancies were advertised by the immigration
service, but 520,000 applicants registered to write the March 15
recruitment test. Each applicant was required to pay N1,000
processing fee to be eligible to participate.
A PREMIUM TIMES report estimated that the NIS made at least
N520 million from this compulsory levy imposed on applicants.
The extortion of the job seekers was done in flagrant disregard
of the directive by the House of Representatives that
government agency should desist from charging applicants
taking part in recruitment exercises.
However, in his reaction to the tragedy at the time, Mr. Moro
attributed the deaths to the applicants’ “impatience.”
“The applicants lost their lives due to impatience; they did not
follow the laid down procedures spelt out to them before the
exercise,” Mr. Moro had said.
“Many of them jumped through the fences of affected centres
and did not conduct themselves in an orderly manner to make
the exercise a smooth one,” Mr. Moro had added.
Mr. Moro’s comment sparked anger across Nigeria, with many
citizens taking to social media to call for his immediate sack.
The Federal Government and the National Assembly constituted
separate committees to probe the tragedy at the time. But the
reports of the panels are yet to be made public.
Source https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/169785-immigration-recruitment-tragedy-why-i-wont-resign-abba-moro.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by superstar3: 3:01pm On Oct 20, 2014
He has the gut to say all these trashes because the system of the nation allow it. Most of Nigerian public office holders lack concience. "Shame no dey catch them".
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by ifyclose2(m): 3:51pm On Oct 20, 2014
Shame...in saner climates this guy would be jobless and facing criminal prosecution...but not in Naija.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by egift(m): 4:04pm On Oct 20, 2014
Why will he resign when the government are supporting him.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Omimah: 4:27pm On Oct 20, 2014
Hope Nigerians are seeing what is going on? Some months ago ministers like Gbenga Ashiru, Olushola Obada, and others were sacked just because the governors that nominated defected to APC nobody said anything, but here we have Abba Moro bragging.

5 Likes

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by fitzmayowa: 4:45pm On Oct 20, 2014
Sometimes I just wonder, if we have a president in the country...I don't know what someone like abba moro is still doing in office...

Well na naija we dey sha...SMH

3 Likes

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 4:09am On Oct 21, 2014
Simply put, GEJ did not put Abba Moro in check as he saw nothing wrong with death of 23 Nigerian graduate in that circumstance.
So yes, the man is just plain heartless.

...I must pointed out that his failures are largely because you placed your priorities on things that were totally irrelevant. He defended people he ought to lead the charge to deal with. He lacked control of his subordinates. He became speechless on matters he ought to be a voice for...

...His stance on Corruption breaks the heart of every Nigerian (at home or abroad). It discourages even those that are persecuted for being patriotic and upholding their integrity. It also gave encouragement to every criminal in the Civil Service and position of power. As a Nation it is completely unacceptable....
https://www.nairaland.com/1956499/letter-president-jonathan-before-disgrace

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Pangea: 4:22am On Oct 21, 2014
Never in the history of Nigeria do we have this kind of madness!
What gut!
What temerity!
He says all these in our faces, rubbing it in?
For the fact that he is still occupying that office is an indictment on Goodluck Jonathan!
Jonathan has turned Nigeria to a smorgasbod of corruption!
Its now free for all!
May I say that Jonathan will not have my vote and that of my family in 2015!

Another 4 years under this man is unimaginable!

2 Likes

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by anonimi: 7:31am On Oct 21, 2014
JonBee1:
Simply put, GEJ did not put Abba Moro in check as he saw nothing wrong with death of 23 Nigerian graduate in that circumstance.
So yes, the man is just plain heartless.

Can you please share with us what our SINators and representaTHIEVES did about the incident with their oversight powers?

Let us not forget that the House of Reps is overfilled with Arewa People's Congress, APC and the Speaker is even with them!
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 21, 2014
anonimi:

Can you please share with us what our SINators and representaTHIEVES did about the incident with their oversight powers?

Let us not forget that the House of Reps is overfilled with Arewa People's Congress, APC and the Speaker is even with them!

The first line of responsibility is to the executive arm of the Nigerian govt. The President is the one the minister is delegating for.
Simply put the ministers work for & report to GEJ. He is responsible & accountable for their success and failure, first & foremost.
He selected him, gave him his brief and entrust him with roles and responsibility.

Abba Moro woeful failure result in the death of 23 sons and daughters of the land. And as usual, GEJ did not apply consequence management; he became speechless on matters he ought to be a voice for...

How does ethnicity and partisan politics got drawn into Abba Moro killing of 23 Nigerian graduate through poor organization and incompetence? How convenient to talk about oversight function of NASS when GEJ who is the senior partner in the FG refuses to demonstrate visible leadership? Ever heard of leadership by example or you just don't give a damn?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 8:13am On Oct 21, 2014
Gej na dullie now. abi una nor know?
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by 7lives: 8:14am On Oct 21, 2014
JonBee1:

The first line of responsibility is to the executive arm of the Nigerian govt. The President is the one the minister is delegating for.
Simply put the ministers work for & report to GEJ. He is responsible & accountable for their success and failure, first & foremost.
He selected him, gave him his brief and entrust him with roles and responsibility.
Abba Moro failed woeful result in the death of 23 sons and daughter of the land. And as usual, GEJ did not apply consequence management; he became speechless on matters he ought to be a voice for...

How does ethnicity and partisan politics got drawn into Abba Moro killing of 23 Nigerian graduate through poor organization and incompetence? How convenient to talk about oversight function of N'ASS when GEJ who is the senior partner in the FG refuses to demonstrate visible leadership? Ever heard of leadership by example or you just don't give a damn?

I hope you are not one of those expecting good leadership from Jona?, that man no get time for Nigeria everyone can die wetin concern Jona.
Can you imagine a man like Abba Moro that's suppose to be standing trials for being an accessory to the murder of 23 Nigerian graduates whose parents probably borrowed cooperative money to send them to school, opening his mouth to vomit nonsense.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by anonimi: 8:18am On Oct 21, 2014
JonBee1:

Abba Moro woeful failure result in the death of 23 sons and daughter of the land. And as usual, GEJ did not apply consequence management; he became speechless on matters he ought to be a voice for...

How does ethnicity and partisan politics got drawn into Abba Moro killing of 23 Nigerian graduate through poor organization and incompetence? How convenient to talk about oversight function of N'ASS when GEJ who is the senior partner in the FG refuses to demonstrate visible leadership? Ever heard of leadership by example or you just don't give a damn?

You could have saved yourself a lot of emotions by answering my question about what the legisLOOTERS in the NASS have done (or not done). That can't be so difficult, really?
My question did not in anyway absolve GEJ or did it

Meanwhile in case you have forgotten, the same GEJ sacked the Aviation minister in the fullness of time.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by GentleJ2: 8:20am On Oct 21, 2014
Speechless, I am.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Reptyle(m): 12:14pm On Oct 21, 2014
anonimi:

Oga you are someone whose opinions I respect even though we rarely see things from the same perspective. You strike me as someone who has a decent measure of intelligence and love for the progress of this nation.

But views like the one above premised on this whole APC vs PDP impasse do your reputation no good.

There are simply some issues that are clear cut and should not be viewed through lenses tinted by party affiliations.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for that minister to have remained in office after the recruitment debacle and the President should have forced him to resign if he failed to take the initiative.

If the "SINators and representaTHIEVES" as you called them fail to exercise their oversight, how about our President on whose table the buck stops

Incidentally, contrary to your post, I googled and found the link below which proves that the senate caucus of the "Arewa People's Congress" as you choose to call them, issued a statement calling for the resignation of the minister at the time.

Rather than the minister taking the opportunity to be on air to console and condole and even show remorse for the demise of the unfortunate citizens, he was grandstanding and talking about "fixing the mess he created" Who does such anywhere in the world?

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 01, 2014
egift:
Abba Moro is enjoying the backing an support of Jonathan. So the money extorted, the fake jobs and the 19 innocent Nigerians that died - will not get Justice under the administration of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan.
Those of us who lost our graduate(s) on that sad date will never forget!
We will never forget cold hearted callousness of Abba Moro and the inept handling by GEJ govt.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by PrettyClare7(f): 7:11pm On Nov 01, 2014
nigerian government does not care about its citizens. I feel like sweeping out all the politicians in this country. The masses are only remembered during election.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by courage54(m): 7:24pm On Nov 01, 2014
Were r all d PDP supporters come and defend your pay masters. The likes of GEJ and Abba Moro alt to be in Kirikiri if we are to be in a sane society.

U can't find this kind of post on front page but all the lies about the people's General are on front page.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 27, 2015
courage54:
Were r all d PDP supporters come and defend your pay masters. The likes of GEJ and Abba Moro alt to be in Kirikiri if we are to be in a sane society.

U can't find this kind of post on front page but all the lies about the people's General are on front page.
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by aminashy: 7:05pm On Feb 27, 2015
APC WITCHCRAFT BROOM CARRYING PARTY

The Schizophrenic sick Pa Buhari is a terrorist, deranged old brainless super clueless bastard
Apc is boko haram
Thiefnu.bu is a pedophile and a cocain sniffer

Buhari can only be president in sambisa and shekau would hand over to him.

Osinbajo is fake and a loafer

Amechi and Fashola are errand boys
Re: Immigration Recruitment Tragedy: Why I Won’t Resign – Abba Moro by egift(m): 7:52pm On Feb 27, 2015
Jonathan has affinity for corruption. If not how can this man remain a minister. What does he have on Jonathan that he is so afraid to sack him?

(1) (Reply)

OBJ SPEAKS ON General Muhammadu Buhari / Prof Osinbajo Can Not Stop Gej From Winning This Year Election / Yes! Buhari’s Certificates With Us- Army Confirms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.