Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,738 members, 7,820,543 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (19716 Views)

The Ijaws That I Know / Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by benson81(m): 8:53am On Sep 13, 2014
The Ijaw speak nine closely related Niger–Congo languages, all of which belong to the Ijoid branch of the Niger–Congo tree. The primary division between the Ijo languages is that between Eastern Ijo and Western Ijo, the most important of the former group of languages being Izon, which is spoken by about four million people.

There are two prominent groupings of the Izon language. The first, termed either Western or Central Izon (Ijaw) consists of Western Ijaw speakers: Ekeremor, Sagbama (Mein), Bassan, Apoi, Arogbo, Boma (Bumo), Kabo (Kabuowei), Ogboin, Tarakiri, and Kolokuma-Opokuma (Yenagoa).[citation needed] Nembe, Brass and Akassa (Akaha) dialects represent Southeast Ijo (Izon).[citation needed]. Buseni and Okordia dialects are considered Inland Ijo.[citation needed]

The other major Ijaw linguistic group is Kalabari. Kalabari is considered an Eastern Ijaw language but the term "Eastern Ijaw" is not the normal nomenclature. Kalabari is the name of one of the Ijaw clans that reside on the eastern side of the Niger-Delta (Abonnema, Buguma, Bakana, Degema etc.) who form a major group in Rivers State, hence their involvement in the fight for greater oil control. Other "Eastern" Ijaw clans are the Okrika, Ibani (the natives of Bonny, Finima and Opobo) and Nkoroo. They are neighbours to the Kalabari people in present day Rivers State, Nigeria.

Other related Ijaw subgroups which have distinct languages but very close kinship, cultural and territorial ties with the rest of the Ijaw are the Epie-Atissa, Engenni (also known as Ẹgẹnẹ), and Degema (also called Udekama or Udekaama).[3] These groups speak Delta Edoid languages. The Ogbia clan, Andoni people, as well as residents of Bukuma and Abuloma (Obulom) speak Cross River languages.[citation needed]

It was discovered in the 1980s that a nearly extinct Berbice Creole Dutch, spoken in Guyana, is partly based on Ijo lexicon and grammar. Its nearest relative seems to be Eastern Ijo, most likely Kalabari (Kouwenberg 1994).

3 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Baddo101(m): 9:41am On Sep 13, 2014
Nice one. I ve lived in brass bayelsa for about a yr. and i wonder how easy it is to speak the language cos it sounds like somebody speaking wth okro soup in the mouth.....Lol.
Funny enuf u see a child of 2yrs understanding wat d mum said in dia dialect.. thats d beauty of mother tongue.....
I really enjoyed dia phonological interference of calling fish as "fis"
I also love their rich culture....they can spend heaven and earth on burials i.e. they respect their dead so much..
I enjoyed my stay wth dem though. " their aggresive nature".........
Oonua oooo!!!!..
Seridoha!!!..

13 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by DaGC(m): 10:52am On Sep 13, 2014
I think you meant to say 'insight'.

The Ijaws are amazing people. I have a few of them as friends.

7 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 5:54am On Sep 14, 2014
This is an educative article. I will recommend it for the front page.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by martyns303(m): 7:07am On Sep 14, 2014
Space
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by stevolinkon40: 7:07am On Sep 14, 2014
Still reading
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Ask4bigneyo(m): 7:11am On Sep 14, 2014
#BringBackOurGirls--BBOG
and
#BringBackOurGeJ---BBOG
Abeg wetin be d difference?

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Hemanwel(m): 7:11am On Sep 14, 2014
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Beesluv: 7:13am On Sep 14, 2014
wonderful
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Idrismusty97(m): 7:13am On Sep 14, 2014
All these thousands of languages only in Africa. I wonder how we became so heavenly divided.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Miscellaneous(m): 7:14am On Sep 14, 2014
ijaw & their wahala

8 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by fingard02k(m): 7:15am On Sep 14, 2014
Ijo (Kalabari) people are wonderful people..have some friends

3 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by 1shortblackboy: 7:16am On Sep 14, 2014
Nairalanders copying from wikipedia since eve gave Adam d fruit. ...... Love and respect to d ijaws sha

3 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by pazienza(m): 7:22am On Sep 14, 2014
Good a thing to see Ijaws no longer claiming Ogbia( an ibibiod language group) and Degema( an Edoid language group). This is good. Nice thread.

3 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 7:24am On Sep 14, 2014
Urhoboman, present#
I thought ijaw is a deltan tribe. How dem take stretch leg reach rivers?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Mdrill(m): 7:26am On Sep 14, 2014
pazienza: Good a thing to see Ijaws no longer claiming Ogbia( an ibibiod language group) and Degema( an Edoid language group). This is good. Nice thread.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by boix(m): 7:26am On Sep 14, 2014
Nice write up, need. To learn more about my people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Lakayanah: 7:28am On Sep 14, 2014
God bless the Ijaw land/water and her people. Ijaw for life HA IZON!!!!!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by calobinna(m): 7:32am On Sep 14, 2014
very good insight and very educative!
for those who love weed and want it to legalised
follow this link www.nairaland.com/1889887/thread-those-love-weed#26227477
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by sunnedee: 7:33am On Sep 14, 2014
urhoboman: Urhoboman, present#
I thought ijaw is a deltan tribe. How dem take stretch leg reach rivers?
I may be wrong but I think some ijaws are also in ondo state

4 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by cooljoe(m): 7:35am On Sep 14, 2014
Proudly ijaw.

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Lakayanah: 7:37am On Sep 14, 2014
urhoboman: Urhoboman, present#
I thought ijaw is a deltan tribe. Hopw dem take stretch leg reach rivers?
please try to educate yourself a little so as not to disgrace yourself in public again.

5 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Bashirfuntua(m): 7:39am On Sep 14, 2014
Bringback our girls, 20bdollar, subsidy etc. Or we bringback jonathan to otueke in 2015.

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by ijawcitizen(m): 7:41am On Sep 14, 2014
pazienza: Good a thing to see Ijaws no longer claiming Ogbia( an ibibiod language group) and Degema( an Edoid language group). This is good. Nice thread.
I know this troll would be here. A confirmed ignorant vulture who feeds on on carcass. I've never seen an Ijawphobic creature in my life who could render the Itsekiris ineffective at the game. Were you a fly in ur former life?
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Talkcentral: 7:45am On Sep 14, 2014
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Lordave: 7:48am On Sep 14, 2014
Kalabari girls dey fine small.

Didn't they are related to the dreaded Ijaw tribe.
OP, what of Otuoke?

I don't know about this person shaa »

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by maki(f): 7:49am On Sep 14, 2014
Proudly Kalabari, Proudly Ijaw....

7 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by reuowen(m): 7:51am On Sep 14, 2014
Lakayanah: please try to educate yourself a little so as not to disgrace yourself in public again.
Ijaws are also in Delta state
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 14, 2014
Lakayanah: please try to educate yourself a little so as not to disgrace yourself in public again.
heard you. But its not a disgrace to me, that's why I asked to learn from here

3 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by emmykk(m): 7:54am On Sep 14, 2014
Rivers state is ijaw dominated,i wonder why ameachi is supporting Northern APC candidature to win rivers state.

Greater wonder is how the ogoni with the support of ameachi will win rivers Gov with dominated ijaw. Time shall tell.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sanusi & Kukah Meet Archbishop Of Canterbury In Italy(pics) / Original Hausa Names And Thier Meanings / Pictures Of Oro Carnival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.