Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,120 members, 7,811,150 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices (35057 Views)

Some Youruba Names And Their (weird) Direct Funny Meanings. / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by teeghurl(f): 11:34pm On Nov 14, 2014
AirborneLacer:
Hehe cheesy

More to the list:

Wife Swapping

Wife swapping among Namibia’s nomadic tribes has been practised for generations.

The practise is more of a gentlemen's agreement where pals can have sex with eachothers' wives with no strings attached.

Nigeria needs this culture, it would foster friendship and unity cheesy

Kidnapping your bride

In the Sudanese Latuka tribe, when a man wants to marry a woman, he kidnaps her. Elderly members of his family go and ask the girl's father for her hand in marriage, and if he agrees, the father beats the man as a sign of acceptance of the union.

Spitting your hellos

Members of the Maasai tribe in Kenya and Tanzania spit as a way of greeting. Spitting plays another role: men spit on newborns and say they're bad, in the belief that if they praise a baby, it will be cursed. Maasai warriors will also spit in their hands before shaking the hand of an elder.
what a life! SMH
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Dannidom(m): 11:38pm On Nov 14, 2014
MisterG:

AfricanApple Edit The Korowai Tribe from New Guinea out of your original post. Again they are not African, since the topic is African focus, we should stick with that. This makes you look ignorant by keeping it there, since myself and Fulaman corrected. So correct your mistake!
i dnt tink the thread is 'african focusd' pls
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 12:12am On Nov 15, 2014
AfricanApple:
I'm not using my criteria, but I haven't heard dat such thing is a culture? though it could be a norm
Baby,i didn't see u vote today,
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 12:21am On Nov 15, 2014
elshaddai58:

Baby,i didn't see u vote today,
list is too long, I will vote for u tomorrow
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 12:25am On Nov 15, 2014
Cutehector4u:
so Jesus now has a nickname...wow..interesting
Lol, dats his baptismal name cheesy
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 12:30am On Nov 15, 2014
AfricanApple:
Lol, dats his baptismal name cheesy
lol i no follow u talk am ooooo..... Evryone be my witness oooooo....
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 12:33am On Nov 15, 2014
AfricanApple:
list is too long, I will vote for u tomorrow
Abeg no forget anyone
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 12:36am On Nov 15, 2014
Cutehector4u:
lol i no follow u talk am ooooo..... Evryone be my witness oooooo....
fear fear tongue he is all merciful and will forgive us smiley
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 12:37am On Nov 15, 2014
AfricanApple:
amen my sister....
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 3:19am On Nov 15, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
What makes it horrible

Let's not use our culture for yardstick to judge others , besides I have heard of yoruba practicing female mutilation too

Thank God mine never practiced anything weird
I think that should b the word :weird not horrible or maybe unique anyway I'm out
If a culture is horrible it is horrible , you are only trying to downtone and softone when you tagged it ''weird'' !!

In Nigeria , somebody came up with salt as a vaccination against Ebola . Imagine if it were to be 16th century , it would have become a norm that our forefathers would have transferred to this generation ....

If not for advanced education, civilisation and wider exposure that eradicate these horrible practices in many civilisations , all these native wise men would have turned the world into most horrible domain !!
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Richy4(m): 3:23am On Nov 15, 2014
Hmmm. I was hoping to see the one fulani people practices. Where they flog the living day light out of a young man who wants to marry. The man will be holding something that look like a mirror. a man will be administering the lashes without mercy. The man was not expected to cry or scream. Just to test his manhood.

I and my friends used to snick out of the dorm room in those days just to watch this kind of weird culture..

Na so all the bride go just apply over eye pencil and lipstick come carry radio.

1 Like

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by wickyyolo: 5:40am On Nov 15, 2014
All. These traditions were inspired by sataN
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:00am On Nov 15, 2014
wickyyolo:

and you must be satans PA. since you know who inspired it,
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by wickyyolo: 7:30am On Nov 15, 2014
If I was, I wouldn't reveal that secret. By the way so you know satan exist but don't believe that God exist too ?
PAGAN9JA:

and you must be satans PA. since you know who inspired it,
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 7:32am On Nov 15, 2014
AfricanApple:
hmmhehe... idol worshipper.
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:42am On Nov 15, 2014
wickyyolo:
If I was, I wouldn't reveal that secret. By the way so you know satan exist but don't believe that God exist too ?

i dont believe in satan. you believe in satan so u r his agent.
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 8:40am On Nov 15, 2014
Danrizzle:
hmmhehe... idol worshipper.
lmao, idol na still god na, abi?
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 8:41am On Nov 15, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

grin grin grin
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 8:43am On Nov 15, 2014
wickyyolo:
seriously u be deeper life undecided
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by wickyyolo: 9:02am On Nov 15, 2014
I know God exist and satan exist. I don't follow satan. I'm on God's side.
PAGAN9JA:

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by wickyyolo: 9:06am On Nov 15, 2014
All those traditions do they sound normal to you ? I'm a Unificationist
AfricanApple:
seriously u be deeper life undecided
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Heycube(m): 9:30am On Nov 15, 2014
AfricanApple:
manage am like dat, una too like pictures

Funny. We beliv in wat we see except God.
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 11:10am On Nov 15, 2014
wickyyolo:
All those traditions do they sound normal to you ? I'm a Unificationist
not normal to me but normal to dem. and I know dat some of my tradition dat is normal to me won't be normal to dem, so wat are u saying undecided

which one is unificationist
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Sheenor: 11:36am On Nov 15, 2014
Horrific
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Brandomg: 11:41am On Nov 15, 2014
Ironi:

When you live in a glass house you don't throw stones.

I thought Nigerians are the ones in Africa who practice or practiced Canibalism
Na for Iboland I hear say Coppers they disappear... lipsrsealed
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Chigold101(m): 11:53am On Nov 15, 2014
Brandomg:

Na for Iboland I hear say Coppers they disappear... lipsrsealed
this one interest me much... Please which state, local government or even town where this happen? Abeg which batch this happen to and which year this happen... And tell me how and where u heard it... Waiting for ur responce...
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by lanxlot(m): 1:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
AfricanApple:
care to explain?
My pleasure ma'am. you'av ever heard d statement.....one man's meat is another man's poison?.... that's an encapsulation of what cultural relativism is....I read some statements as weird and the like. Well Perhaps, but u cannot use ur own culture as a yard stick in measuring oda pples culture. that's what's called ethnocentrism. all Or most cultures are adaptive in that, Its Well suited in d Kinda environ in Which it operates. as adaptive as it is, it is also relative. in the sense dat it is unique. there is also d concept of universalism, I won't go into it cux Its a deviation. d eskimos av heard offer their wives to visitors, bizarre isn't it? but u may want to reconsider considering d Kinda environment they occupy.
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by MeAboki(m): 2:40pm On Nov 15, 2014
Fulaman198:
The Korowai are not African, they are from New Guinea in the Pacific islands. They are Melanesians not Africans.

The Korowai are not the only ones eating human flesh, there are also many CANNIBALS in Nigeria, especially in the SE where only recently police discovered and closed a restaurant in Onitsha selling cooked human meat.

https://www.nairaland.com/1506957/police-discover-hotel-selling-cooked

1 Like

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Boyooosa(m): 3:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
the 'can not disclose' tribe in NIgeria...
Husbands use their wives to entertain their kinsmen... wink
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by usmanbaba(m): 4:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
Thought is cultural shock?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Tribute To The Beautiful Itsekiris Of The Niger Delta / History Of Eyo Festival / The British-Ijebu War Of 1892 (The Battle Of Imagbon)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.