Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) (2620 Views)

4-year-old Child Blinds 5-year-old Friend With Needle / Missing 3-year Old Child / Court Dissolves 3-year-old Marriage Over Wife’s Lack Of Vagina Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by bababuff(m): 2:33pm On Oct 31, 2008
I[b] need your help.[/b] This is serious o!

My 3 year old boy is always scattering and re-arranging my sitting room. I don't want to spank him but I'm seeing that as the last option now.
when I tell my kid "drop the remote" is when he takes another remote, and he will be smiling and laughing as if is a game. Now he is teaching his 1 year old brother the same thing. It's a big joy to see them play around, but they are now destroying things. I have lost a lot of good CDs because they slide them on the tiles.

Please, I want constructive suggestions and methods that have worked for you, not all these "teach your child the bible way" stuff.

Mummies and Daddies in this forum please help.
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by plappville(f): 2:47pm On Oct 31, 2008
I was thinking of posting this thread, thank God we re wearing same shoe grin grin grin i am having thesame problem here, they are something else each night when they go to bed i will take my time to arrange and arrange, thesame thing will continue the next day.

All my nigeria cd's re scrashed becos the soon 1 year old is having fun with dem. thx to onlinenigeria.com for posting free video clips.

Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by BabyJinx: 3:21pm On Oct 31, 2008
LOL! Parents of toddlers are so funny. grin

Okay, you say he rearranges your furniture. . . how so? Does he have a particular pattern or order he wants things? For instance, does he arrange by color or by size? What you should be worried about is what is he trying to express, You'll be surprised to know how geniuses started.

Please don't stiffle his creativity and genius ooh.

About the remote control, don't ask for it. . . just pick up something else, something YOU want him to have and pay attention to that thing. Gush over it, make a big deal over it. . . soon he's gonna want that, then you make a production about not giving to him, even tell him to go play with the remote control, while you play with what you have. When you do give it to him, do it grudgingly. The goal is to make the remote control as unattractive to him as possible. Do this a few times and trust me, your remote control will be yours in no time.

Reverse Psychology Baby! You have no idea how many things I've gotten children to do using that method. The power is yours. . . use it wisely.  grin

Good Luck.
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by HRhotness(f): 3:38pm On Oct 31, 2008
i'm not a parent yet but i hav loads of kids around me. . .

my aunt started spanking her kids at about that age. . . nuthin too hard tho, just a tap on their bum when they do sumthin wrong. . . the she lets dem cool off for a while befor playin with them again. . . the trick is she says a firm NO, spanks them, takes whatever they r hold and says a firm NO again! eventually all she has to do is say is No and they knw they r being naughty again.

i knw may pple disagree with this method in today;s world but it has worked for our parents for ages. . .
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by mohawkchic(f): 4:31pm On Oct 31, 2008
[b]Time oUt:Naughty corner is the most effective form of discipline that works for me just great!!! It helps the child calm down & try to realise what they've done to make mum/dad not happy w/ them!!

*This works by letting the child realise they've done something wrong,You tell them what they've done for & they're not been rewarded by that behaviour . . . you isolate them preferably in a corner of the room,never in a room by themselves,for every year of their life,is a minute they spend on time out,so you son is three,if you were to do this,he'll stay in the naughty corner for thre minutes . . .you don't let him get to you by crying or trying to make you feel guilty!! Trust me they will TRY anythiing to make you feel so bad for doing the right thing!! You have to be very consistent w/ this method,if you  consistently set limits & enforec them,after a couple of times of him going to that corner,he'll do his damnest not to go to the naughty corner!! grin ooh by the way, you resort to time-out after you've had to repeat yourself 2/3 times

Health & safety is important especially with him moving furniture around,so you'll have to do the key steps in taking control of the suitation,trying to use them effectively in your every day life suitations!!

*Always try to redirect his energy in a positive direction
*Distract him from doing something distructive
*Ignore repeated behaviours . . .ignoring can be hard especially if they're crying their eyes out, but there are those times when drawing attention to the unwanted behaviour has the effect of making it worse,you know your child so pick your battles!!

*See if any pointers in the link can be incooperated into your suitation
[/b]

http://www.parentingtoddlers.com/toddlerdiscipline.html
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by ifyalways(f): 4:39pm On Oct 31, 2008
Baby Jinx:

Okay, you say he rearranges your furniture. . . how so? Does he have a particular pattern or order he wants things? For instance, does he arrange by color or by size? What you should be worried about is what is he trying to express, You'll be surprised to know how geniuses started.

About the remote control, don't ask for it. . . just pick up something else, something YOU want him to have and pay attention to that thing. Gush over it, make a big deal over it. . . soon he's going to want that, then you make a production about not giving to him, even tell him to go play with the remote control, while you play with what you have. When you do give it to him, do it grudgingly. The goal is to make the remote control as unattractive to him as possible. Do this a few times and trust me, your remote control will be yours in no time.

Reverse Psychology Baby! You have no idea how many things I've gotten children to do using that method. The power is yours. . . use it wisely. grin

Good Luck.
this sounds good and realistic.
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by Outstrip(f): 5:20pm On Oct 31, 2008
He is old enough to be spanked. I have chopsticks that I use. It is small but it does not feel good. He clearly understands what you are saying but he is testing you and testing to see how far he can go. This is an opportunity to teach.
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by DisGuy: 8:15pm On Oct 31, 2008
nigerian parent should recognise talent right from birth!!!

the next Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen if you ask me grin
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by MrCrackles(m): 8:18pm On Oct 31, 2008
Buy PANKERE OR correct BULALA

whip im yansh till its red and sore!!!
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by abujabooks(f): 9:53pm On Oct 31, 2008
@Poster,

What I did with my boys is dat, I took all my Cds and dvds from d sitting room.
At that time, I had only my leather settees, tv and sky receiver with the viewing card cellotaped.

You can put your things back when they are older.

U can't discipline dm 4 things like throwing cds on d floor. Remove the things!
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by MrCrackles(m): 9:54pm On Oct 31, 2008
abujabooks:

@Poster,

What I did with my boys is that, I took all my Cds and dvds from d sitting room.
At that time, I had only my leather settees, tv and sky receiver with the viewing card cellotaped.

longtin!!
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by HRhotness(f): 10:24pm On Oct 31, 2008
abujabooks:

@Poster,

What I did with my boys is that, I took all my Cds and dvds from d sitting room.

my nephew is crzy about d sky viewing card too. . .
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by nana(f): 10:39pm On Oct 31, 2008
MrCrackles:

Buy PANKERE OR correct BULALA

whip I'm yansh till its red and sore!!!
Ahn ahn,why nah?
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by MrCrackles(m): 10:44pm On Oct 31, 2008
nana:

Ahn ahn,why nah?

hehe

small small pikin too get wahala

dem whip my yansh tire wen i be pikin

been there done dat!! grin
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by nana(f): 10:49pm On Oct 31, 2008
MrCrackles:

hehe

them whip my yansh tire when i be pikin

been there done that!! grin
Hehehehehe
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by Ndipe(m): 12:46am On Nov 01, 2008
Baby Jinx:

About the remote control, don't ask for it. . . just pick up something else, something YOU want him to have and pay attention to that thing. Gush over it, make a big deal over it. . . soon he's going to want that, then you make a production about not giving to him, even tell him to go play with the remote control, while you play with what you have. When you do give it to him, do it grudgingly. The goal is to make the remote control as unattractive to him as possible. Do this a few times and trust me, your remote control will be yours in no time.

Reverse Psychology Baby! You have no idea how many things I've gotten children to do using that method. The power is yours. . . use it wisely.  grin

Good Luck.

Great answer!
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by TOYOSI20(f): 1:00am On Nov 01, 2008
A three year old? shocked

Pls the little on is being creative in his/her own way cool. . . . . .

just watch the kid closely to ensure safety that's all. . , . , smiley
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by Busybody2(f): 1:08am On Nov 01, 2008
Baby Jinx:

Check the post again, the children are boys wink Boys don't do arrangement or re-arrangement for that matter, they just like to irritate you by scattering things and turning everything upside down cheesy cheesy cheesy

Is the original poster female, because toddler boys are usually like that around their mums, they are usually well behaved with their dads though. One word from their dad and they are as good as gold, whilst the mum has to scream till she is blue in the face angry

Hang in there poster, they usually grow out of this behaviour by the time they are 5 years old.
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by monatoetje: 1:09am On Nov 01, 2008
What i do is , i stand up and take whatever i don`t want her to play with.
She knows what the word " no " means but sometimes she`ll not listen a still try to play with it.

Nor do i see any reason why i`d allow my daughter to scatter the entire livingroom.
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by Busybody2(f): 1:25am On Nov 01, 2008
I have a two year old toddler too and I am tired of smacking him, I heve been pleading with the dad to allow me ship him to Africa, but he says I have to go too angry angry angry

I am tired of locking the toilet doors from outside so that he would not go and wash his hands in the WC, I am tired of sellotaping the DVD player's slot, the Skycard to the box, the phone to its cradle . . .

His current obsession is with light and TV switches etc, he likes flicking it on and off constantly, which totally pisses me off, one minute you are reading, the next you have to jump up to go and switch back on the light, and he goes back to switch it off because he thinks its a game angry angry angry

What went wrong undecided I used to be very strict with ma little cousins, nephews, nieces, etc All I had to do was give them one "if I catch you" or "behave yourself" look  angry angry angry cheesy
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by BabyJinx: 2:31am On Nov 01, 2008
Awwwww! It's soo unfair. . . a lot of willy nilly spanking! Haba now, children explore the world around them. . . this is what they do and one of the ways they do it is take things apart and put it back in a way that makes sense to them. They are not doing it to annoy or make parents work harder. . . they are just trying to understand and when you spank them for something they don't know is wrong, they see it as being punished for trying to make sense.

I am begging all parents. . . on my knees, please take it easy. There are worse things you're going to need to spank them over, don't let them build an immunity to it already.

Another method you can use is making them do the cleaning. . . now you are thinking but he's 3 years old, trust me they are capable.

Make it funform a song

"Clean up, Clean Up, Everybody Clean up"

Now, I know I just lost all the parents with that one, eh?  cheesy cheesy
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by BabyJinx: 2:34am On Nov 01, 2008
Busy_body:

What went wrong undecided I used to be very strict with ma little cousins, nephews, nieces, etc All I had to do was give them one "if I catch you" or "behave yourself" look  angry angry angry cheesy

Rotflmao! Don't worry. . . you are not alone, my sisters do the same thing. They also have "This is your last warning" there can be 1000 last warnings in a day! cheesy cheesy
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by BabyJinx: 3:20am On Nov 01, 2008
this Guy:

nigerian parent should recognise talent right from birth!!!

the next Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen if you ask me grin

Rotflmao! I just saw this Guy’s comment. . . don’t put me in trouble ooh. This is what I mean about color recognition in kids

Colors
The Psychology of Colors: Colour and children and Children and colour - Self-Expression

Shapes & Sizes and Geometry
There is a school of thought that children who have a firm grasps of shapes and sizes from an early childhood, having a good grasps of math. . . Geometry as adults. Children can only be said to understand the concept of geometric shapes when they can identify a variety of examples in different orientations. That’s why I asked how he arranges the things around him. . . Is there a pattern? Does he separate his triangular shapes and square shapes? It sounds silly but at 3. . . That is a huge thing.

If anyone is interested. . . .

Teaching Mathematics 3-5 Developing Learning in the Foundation Stage

[I]Book Description
This book provides a research background for adults helping three to five year olds learn mathematics, including social and emotional processes as well as key mathematical ideas and common difficulties. It includes implications for practice and proposes presented with a playful and sensitive approach.[/I]
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by Busybody2(f): 6:18am On Nov 01, 2008
Baby Jinx:

. . . If anyone is interested. . . .

. . . [I]Book Description
This book provides a research background for adults helping three to five year olds learn mathematics, including social and emotional processes as well as key mathematical ideas and common difficulties. It includes implications for practice and proposes presented with a playful and sensitive approach.[/I]

ROFLMBAO

You mean I have to read books shocked shocked shocked That's it, he is going to Africa tommorrow angry My mama no read book to raise me cool I doubt she was literate anyway cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by BabyJinx: 3:10pm On Nov 01, 2008
Busy_body:

ROFLMBAO

You mean I have to read books shocked shocked shocked That's it, he is going to Africa tommorrow angry My mama no read book to raise me cool I doubt she was literate anyway cheesy cheesy cheesy

Tee hee hee. . . that's not really a parenting book. It's for teachers and parents on how to teach children Mathematic. . . errr. . . I guess it is. . . eehmm. . . sorta like one. cheesy
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by Pepeye(f): 9:45pm On Nov 01, 2008
They will definitely drive you nut, but they are too damm lovable
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by plappville(f): 11:16pm On Nov 01, 2008
MrCrackles:

hehe

them whip my yansh tire when i be pikin

been there done that!! grin

Funny u, i am laughingsssssssssssssss at this but just wanna let u know that
Gone are those day when u can whip a baby the way u like, if u are a parent u won't do that, although they can really drive u crazy with this scarttering of home stuff.
It's funny because when u don't see them in few mins around u, u will feel very empty, this is wonderful.

As for the whiping thing, if u try to whip ur baby make em yansh red here, make u know say u go lose that ur pikin to goverment ooo
na small small we dey handle things here wit children.
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by HRhotness(f): 2:31am On Nov 02, 2008
Pepeye:

They will definitely drive you nut, but they are too damm lovable

they r lovable when they belong to other people  but become little devils when they r urs or u r responsible for them.

my little nephew empties out the washing basket, throwing d cloths everywhere. . . when d basket empty he sticks his head in and then brings it out again with a very surprised look and goes "oh my days" in a sing song voice. . . that always cracked me up uuntili had to babysit for an entire day. . . it wasnt so funny anymore, it just drove me up the wall, imagine having to deal with that everyday. . . i'm definitely apprehensive about motherhood
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by busybody20: 2:23pm On Nov 04, 2008
Busy_body:

I have a two year old toddler too and I am tired of smacking him, I heve been pleading with the dad to allow me ship him to Africa, but he says I have to go too angry angry angry

I am tired of locking the toilet doors from outside so that he would not go and wash his hands in the WC, I am tired of sellotaping the DVD player's slot, the Skycard to the box, the phone to its cradle . . .

His current obsession is with light and TV switches etc, he likes flicking it on and off constantly, which totally pisses me off, one minute you are reading, the next you have to jump up to go and switch back on the light, and he goes back to switch it off because he thinks its a game angry angry angry

Congrats! grin Thanks for letting us know you'v got SKY! [img]http://1.2.3.11/bmi/emoticons4u.com/cool/049.gif[/img]
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by asitis(f): 4:11pm On Nov 04, 2008
I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old has well, the thing is that they see most objects as something to explore, had to remove all cds from the living room,  push the sky box well back so the one year old can't reach it (the 3 years old is not interested in this) At one time, my 3 year developed this habits of hiding the remotes, my husband and i spend like 2 hours one day looking for the sky remote until we found out she hid it behind the printer and started laughing as soon as she saw we found it, she did this several times until we knew all her hiding places by heart, we then stop making a big deal about it and she got over it, my 1year old specialty now is switching the TV off while we watching it, engaging the phone, turning off the PC while surfing etc to be honest, i enjoy this but not all the time but i try not to make much fuss, they all grow out of eventually so try and relax.
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by Shaz(f): 7:13pm On Nov 04, 2008
LOL! Parents of toddlers are so funny. Grin

About the remote control, don't ask for it. . . just pick up something else, something YOU want him to have and pay attention to that thing. Gush over it, make a big deal over it. . . soon he's going to want that, then you make a production about not giving to him, even tell him to go play with the remote control, while you play with what you have. When you do give it to him, do it grudgingly. The goal is to make the remote control as unattractive to him as possible. Do this a few times and trust me, your remote control will be yours in no time.

Reverse Psychology Baby! You have no idea how many things I've gotten children to do using that method. The power is yours. . . use it wisely. Grin

Good Luck.

Great answer.

Busy_body:

What went wrong undecided I used to be very strict with ma little cousins, nephews, nieces, etc All I had to do was give them one "if I catch you" or "behave yourself" look angry angry angry cheesy

Lol. . sorry ehn. Him go soon grow. You should see my lil brother, mehn. Then you'll know that your child's just a bit of the icing, let alone the cake.

busybody20:

Congrats! grin Thanks for letting us know you'v got SKY! [img]http://1.2.3.11/bmi/emoticons4u.com/cool/049.gif[/img]

angry. . lol
Re: How To Displine A 3 Year Old Child. (always Re-arranging Furnitures) by Busybody2(f): 2:42am On Nov 06, 2008
abujabooks:

Busy_body:

. . . I am tired of locking the toilet doors from outside so that he would not go and wash his hands in the WC, I am tired of sellotaping the DVD player's slot, the Skycard to the box, the phone to its cradle . . .

asitis:

I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old has well . . . push the sky box well back so the one year old can't reach it

busybody20:

Aaawww, poor thing, pull yourself up and pull yourself together, no need to feel despondent na, all you need have said was that you wanted to keep up with the Joneses too, and that we should pray that God would provide your own too na grin grin grin

Asitis and Abujabooks and all other esteemed Nairalanders, please help me join hands and pray for busybody20 that God would provide her own too before the green-eyed monster eats her inside up cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sista's Experience At Nairaland / Who Impregnated This Lady? How Did It Happen? / Nairaland Christmas Giveaway Awareness Thread (2019 Edition)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.