Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,610 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? (3168 Views)

NAFDAC Official Website Hacked Again! / 9ja Official Website Hacked Down / Nigeria's Official Website Is As Bad As Nigeria Itself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by yawatide(f): 4:19pm On Oct 31, 2008
Here is the website of your beloved nation:

http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/

I won't bother going into a critique.  Simple Question:

how would you make it better?

note: No need writing the best essay ever written. An unordered list will suffice wink
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by TechPros(m): 4:48pm On Oct 31, 2008
yawatide, i will like to see one of ur works
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by yawatide(f): 4:54pm On Oct 31, 2008
As I have stated ONE THOUSAND AND ONE TIMES!!!!   angry angry angry

You won't see it here.  If you do want to see it, email me. IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!!!!!!

Surprisingly, NO ONE has ever taken me up on the challenge.

Now, back to the topic at hand: How would you make the site better?  cheesy
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by jmslimx(m): 10:04pm On Oct 31, 2008
you see the problem with Nigeria site is that the collect millions on it and the designers do bullshit , i guest the best way is to do some kind of contest and post there design view here and everybody elaborates on it
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Oct 31, 2008
Sorry, since you say no essays needed I will pass. Where to start? I don't have enough time anyway. Whoever did this site and got paid for it truly got free money.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by MrCrackles(m): 10:58pm On Oct 31, 2008
deface it!!

disgrace to the whole world!!
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by tumfulu: 11:05pm On Oct 31, 2008
yawa ti de - or whatever is your name.

Lets see one of your handwork - at least you must be able to show us one, nigger!
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by yawatide(f): 10:45am On Nov 01, 2008
tumfulu,

Apparently, your favorite past times are ad hominem attacks and a lack of english comprehension. If you are out of school, I would like to know how you did in English. If you aren't, I would like to know who will be marking your english paper(s) cos I need to sign him up for some overdose of paracetamol.

Please read post #3 above to answer your request, you twit.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by Gamine(f): 10:59am On Nov 01, 2008
@yawa, there are somethings unworthy of a reply, when you indulge them, you become like them.

I am surprised no one has sent you a mail wanting to see your sites, i will surely take you up on it.

@topic, i dont know where to start from, Brb.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by yawatide(f): 11:12am On Nov 01, 2008
@gamine,

I feel ya sister. At times you don't reply and your credibility is at stake. This is one of them. As you noted, no one (well a few have actually) has taken me up on it. My email address is in the public domain here. I personally don't seek to see others work unless they ask for a review. I am not here to say, "do you know who i am?" or "I know 100 programming languages" or to basically one-up anyone here. I am here to learn that's all.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by goldenimp(m): 12:11pm On Nov 01, 2008
tumfulu:

yawa ti de - or whatever is your name.

Lets see one of your handwork - at least you must be able to show us one, nigger!
Its so fuuny people that are not into website design and developement asking to see a developers work. what do you want to do with it?, just comment on the topic and dont digress
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by yawatide(f): 12:19pm On Nov 01, 2008
here, here goldenimp.

Besides, I am not here to compete with anyone or to one-up anyone. I am here to learn.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by kehers(m): 2:39pm On Nov 01, 2008
I tried so hard to ignore ds post wen i saw d topic nd noticed it was started by Yawa. Why?
1. Except dat our reviews here wil be effected, its not worth it
2. Just as I well guessed, people wil ignore d post nd start hittg @ Yawa.
@Yawa
Are u designg a new site for d country? Do u knw of someone dat is? Does anytn we say here change tns in anyway? If so i can give some words.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by OmniPotens(m): 3:34pm On Nov 01, 2008
@kehers
It is not a matter of knowing who is designing a new site for the country or any of your questions, she is only asking for reactions of how we think with our web mastering skills, we can help better our country's official website. The fact of the matter is that that web located at http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/ is not worth it to stay as the official website of Nigeria. A redesign is in fact NEEDED. This is the reason why I think Yawa opened this new thread with the topic as "How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website?" Funny enough, people are leaving the caption and talking about irrelevant things.

Let's face the caption and really take it serious.

@Yawa
Thanks for the topic. It is a good one.

@webmasters
Let's think of how we can do something here.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by kehers(m): 5:06pm On Nov 01, 2008
D topic (sounded or looked) more like 'lets share ideas to build a better Nigeria official site' than 'lets review Nigeria's official site' - to me though.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by yawatide(f): 5:18pm On Nov 01, 2008
kehers:
If you weren't sure, why not ask instead of making assumptions?

here, here Omnipotens

You observed well that I didn't say "site review" or "what is wrong with these people?" or whatever along those lines.  I simply asked, how would we make the site better.  NL is a pretty popular site.  You never know who is reading it.  

I can tell from experience that I am a member of a Yahoo group hosted by my state indigines in the diaspora.  It has over 1000 members.  There were rumors amongst us that even the state governor is a member but since he or anyone in his council never responded, we had no reason to believe this.  In August, we had our annual convention in the states and he was invited and was there.  One of the first things he said was he was aware of the forum and that we should ignore most of what was written on there and that if we had questions, to ask him.  Go figure.

Back to this site.  Again, you never know who is reading this.  Supposing someone came up to you and asked, we have a budget of so and so.  We saw your post on NL.  Since you claim to have the silver bullet, here is the budget.  Put your money where your mouth is.  Besides, what is wrong with using a site to learn better?  By the way, I am not asking for how the site would be redesigned.  I am asking for your input in terms of how you would make the site better, as-is.

kehers:
I would steer clear of the "what will they do anyways?" mentality.  Not good.  In fact, don't even look at it from that angle.  Just imagine this were another country's site and I was seeking the same answer.  For example, www.usa.gov/ is not the best in the world but compared to our site, there is no competition.  It's not about being flashy or design or whatever.  It's about a good user experience ours unfortunately doesn't give you that.

So since no one wants to jump first into the deep end of the pool, here I go:

1) They need to get rid of the horizontal scroll
2) The nav section at the top needs to be more lively.  That background is making the items invisible.
3) Those 3 bars below the nav have to go
4) If you select a city under "weather report", you get a broken link - it needs to be fixed.
5) The site needs to be spruced up with more (positive) images of Nigeria, preferably, tourist attractions.

There you have it.

Kehers and all those who think like him with respect to my posts:
No need to ignore my posts o.  I don't know it all but do know a thing or two.  I am just trying to help.  Rather than ignore, I suggest you read them, learn from them and most importantly, correct me where I am wrong so that we can all LEARN something  cheesy
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by OmniPotens(m): 5:36pm On Nov 01, 2008
IMHO, I think all should go for that web is a total redesign. Better layout, ideology of what be on the web (the webmaster should lookout for other country's website to learn if he/she doesn't know what should) and a host of other things.

What is the need of a forum?
I wonder how many people ask themselves this question. If actually you don't want to learn anything new and want to remain just with what you know, I don't see the need why you should register at all, not to talk about reading posts. The forum is there for exchange of ideas, knowledge et al. WHOEVER DOESN'T WANT TO LEARN SHOULD STAY OUT OF POSTS AND JUST KEEP READING WITHOUT ASKING ANY QUESTIONS lipsrsealed

NO HARD FEELINGS ANYWAY! wink
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by Gamine(f): 8:23pm On Nov 01, 2008
I would go with Omnipotens on this

and yeah, that Horizontal scrolling, too annoying!
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by Yolu: 9:41pm On Nov 01, 2008
IMHO, I think all should go for that web is a total redesign. Better layout, ideology of what be on the web (the webmaster should lookout for other country's website to learn if he/she doesn't know what should) and a host of other things.

What is the need of a forum?
I wonder how many people ask themselves this question. If actually you don't want to learn anything new and want to remain just with what you know, I don't see the need why you should register at all, not to talk about reading posts. The forum is there for exchange of ideas, knowledge et al. WHOEVER DOESN'T WANT TO LEARN SHOULD STAY OUT OF POSTS AND JUST KEEP READING WITHOUT ASKING ANY QUESTIONS  Lips sealed

NO HARD FEELINGS ANYWAY! 

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by Mustay(m): 3:00am On Nov 02, 2008
chauvinism does exist!

kehers:

2. Just as I well guessed, people wil ignore d post nd start hittg @ Yawa.
@Yawa
Are u designg a new site for d country? Do u knw of someone that is? Does anytn we say here change tns in anyway? If so i can give some words.

If Nland is the no. 16th site Nigerians visit, y not?
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by HC: 2:46pm On Nov 02, 2008
The site definitely needs a new look.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by OmniPotens(m): 8:02pm On Nov 02, 2008
If we agree it needs a redesign, how do we get at the webmaster that did the present or existing web to learn better design for the web or who do we connect with? In fact, how can webmasters get something done to rescue our country's online presence which is not fun to visit?
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by josyadex(m): 9:26pm On Nov 02, 2008
YEWATIDE,

THE SITE NEEDS A PROFESSIONAL TOUCH.

LIKE TO CHECK OUT YOUR SITE
josyadex@gmail.com

I TAKE UP THE CHALLENGE.
XPECTING YOUR REPLY.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by yawatide(f): 12:22am On Nov 03, 2008
@omni
One way could be to either email whatever email address is on the site or do a whois and contact the developer/admin directly. I did this with my state's website and I am currently talking with the guy who did the site. Chances are he won't pay for anything that is why I am giving him theories and not actual code but at least there is communication going on.

Another way could be to target some magazine/newspaper that is highly read in the industry and write an article (make it a nice, diplomatic one wink) on this very topic and not only lay out the problems but offer solutions.

@josy
nice one. I did say you should send me an email and/or chat with me. I won't post anything on a public domain. Sorry. So the ball is back in your court.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by OmniPotens(m): 9:00am On Nov 03, 2008
@Yawa
How did you actually get at what I was doing? Hmmm, are you a mind reader? No wonder sometime in the past, some dude out here was really or jokingly toasting, undecided
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by webguru(m): 4:51pm On Nov 03, 2008
@omnipotens
u knew about my toasting? Well she agreed and i'll be flying her to the states so she can get more exposure
compared to ijebu ode

@topic
im browsin via mtn and though i opened the site before usa.gov, usa.gov opened while im still expecting nigeria.gov to still open.

Finally its come up. From a brief glimpse, it seems to lack only design proficiency.
That shld probably be contracted out.
Otherwise, site seems great and functions. Ooops! I notice some pages end in .html which cld make maintenance stressful

Needless to say, the site is nt repping the web community in nigeria, can't someone submit a proposal?
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by likewhat: 8:09pm On Nov 03, 2008
yawa-ti- de
What is your e0mail address?
Or Phone number?
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by yawatide(f): 9:02pm On Nov 03, 2008
@webguru
Yeah, I was thinking more of a design as in actual redesign too. I havent checked out the site in full but I dare say it lacks certain things like providing online services. Wouldn't it be cool if you could fill out some form online and get a printed pdf from it? Also, some functinality needs to be stripped or rethought. Example: I clicked on "photo gallery" then i had to click a radio button to choose. Then the page reloads with a gallery that i had to scroll horizontally to see. Sucks big time.

@likewhat
Like email me.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by ilaugh1: 9:46pm On Nov 03, 2008
@Poster

I be like say yin dey craze, lets see what you have done before asking us to comment on what others have done, thats just too naughty on your part, asking us to comment on other people's work, ho made you a web master, or because you made a few web pages that we can not even see? I am sure na craze dey worry yin.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by yawatide(f): 10:08pm On Nov 03, 2008
i_laugh,

Your english, hmmm, as i dey read am, i_laugh tongue Please read my response to such requests before posting. Having said that, I don't have to be a cook to know what good amala looks/tastes like. That is why there are restaurants - for those who either can't cook or don't have the time to cook.

Moving on to more productive issues:

You won't believe this: I saw a "feedback" link and clicked on it and was taken to a form. Guess what the first option in the dropdown was wink

http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/NR/exeres/A92C71A7-80E7-49F7-AFEA-AC9507B9823A.htm

p.s. don't bother submitting. Okay, go ahead but don't say I didn't warn you o! cool
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by ilaugh1: 10:13pm On Nov 03, 2008
yawa-ti-de:

i_laugh,

Your english, hmmm, as i dey read am, i_laugh tongue Please read my response to such requests before posting. Having said that, I don't have to be a cook to know what good amala looks/tastes like. That is why there are restaurants - for those who either can't cook or don't have the time to cook.

Moving on to more productive issues:

You won't believe this: I saw a "feedback" link and clicked on it and was taken to a form. Guess what the first option in the dropdown was wink

http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/NR/exeres/A92C71A7-80E7-49F7-AFEA-AC9507B9823A.htm

p.s. don't bother submitting. Okay, go ahead but don't say I didn't warn you o! cool

Surelt, craze dey worry yin, na na na na na na im i no say craze dey worry yin for pussie.
Re: How Would You Better Your Country's Official Website? by MrCrackles(m): 10:14pm On Nov 03, 2008
deface it and hack it down!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Tooxclusive Mobile Theme For Download / Experts, Help Me About My Issue On Blogger / 6 Web Properties You Can Use To Protect Your Branded Search Results (with Real E

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.