Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,775 members, 7,810,021 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:47 PM

A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 (4091 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Beauty Of Igbo Women / Igbo Women And Social Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by oladimejiX: 1:16am On Sep 14, 2014
While reading about the igbo people on a Wikipedia article i came across this picture of three igbo women, and its interesting that as recently as 1921 they were still as scantily clad as they were.
Share your thoughts

Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by makazona(m): 1:25am On Sep 14, 2014
so
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by 1shortblackboy: 1:34am On Sep 14, 2014
There headgear and the bangles on their legs are very interesting
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Prodigee: 1:47am On Sep 14, 2014
Ok...3rd to comment BTW!
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Nobody: 2:06am On Sep 14, 2014
Ive seen this picture before. Beautiful and perfect.
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by ideyhere(f): 3:07am On Sep 14, 2014
So 1921 is recent? undecided
by the way, even up to the 50's, igbo women still wore just jigida(waist beads) ...that is even those that are of wealthy background ooh...including on their wedding day grin

Wasn't there sha...what my papa told me tongue
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by mrvance(m): 3:45am On Sep 14, 2014
shitt....
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by purplesummer(f): 4:24am On Sep 14, 2014
I doubt these women were igbos, igbo women never wore hats (or cones)
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Funjosh(m): 7:55am On Sep 14, 2014
oladimejiX: While reading about the igbo people on a Wikipedia article i came across this picture of three igbo women, and its interesting that as recently as 1921 they were still as scantily clad as they were.
Share your thoughts

Please don't blind my eyes with this ur pix shocked shocked shocked
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Funjosh(m): 7:57am On Sep 14, 2014
purplesummer: I doubt these women were igbos, igbo women never wore hats (or cones)

How did u know that How sure are you
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 1:55pm On Sep 14, 2014
When women were still Virgins.....see bobby standing erect like elecrode.....chai God forgive ooo today na Uka
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 14, 2014
They don't look igbo to me though...
They look very African, if you know wah I mean...
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 14, 2014
KAYCEEJUNIOR: When women were still Virgins..... see bobby standing erect like elecrode .....chai God forgive ooo today na Uka
grin grin
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by oladimejiX: 2:39pm On Sep 14, 2014
ideyhere: So 1921 is recent? undecided
by the way, even up to the 50's, igbo women still wore just jigida(waist beads) ...that is even those that are of wealthy background ooh...including on their wedding day grin

Wasn't there sha...what my papa told me tongue

Well i said recent because of how developed other parts of the world was at that time
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Ihuomadinihu: 5:34pm On Sep 14, 2014
This is a picture of Igbo brides in G.T Basden's Among the Ibos.
Yes,morallys were high in those days and even the Egyptians did not emphasize on three piece suits. I don't know the agenda of this thread but it will interest you to know that all Nigerian tribes were naked at one point. Some tribes in Africa still prefer to maintain their adamic form. 1921 is recent,western civilization arrived quite late to igbos,remember? Besides,scanty clothes in Africa does not mean barbarism,barbarism is when a woman decides to go naked in the name of fashion in this 21st century.

4 Likes

Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by oladimejiX: 12:30pm On Sep 15, 2014
Ihuomadinihu: This is a picture of Igbo brides in G.T Basden's Among the Ibos.
Yes,morallys were high in those days and even the Egyptians did not emphasize on three piece suits. I don't know the agenda of this thread but it will interest you to know that all Nigerian tribes were naked at one point. Some tribes in Africa still prefer to maintain their adamic form. 1921 is recent,western civilization arrived quite late to igbos,remember? Besides,scanty clothes in Africa does not mean barbarism,barbarism is when a woman decides to go naked in the name of fashion in this 21st century.

You must be an Historian to have been able to quote the very source of the picture, nice
There's no agenda in this thread other than been informative,the picture really interested having a glimpse of how they dressed back then
Nice post though
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 15, 2014
Igbo people understood the African weather was hot, so they were scantily dressed.
But the ideal precolonial Igbos were even more naked than this.
Just a tiny piece of cloth around the waste, that's all

2 Likes

Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by kingston277(m): 5:14pm On Sep 16, 2014
oladimejiX:

Well i said recent because of how developed other parts of the world was at that time
And other parts of Africa as well.
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by kingston277(m): 5:19pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ihuomadinihu: This is a picture of Igbo brides in G.T Basden's Among the Ibos.
Maybe they were unclad 12,000 year ago but times have change since then when the first advanced civilizations formed in Nigeria with the Nok 3000 years ago. That and later on people dressed like this:

And built like this

1 Like

Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Ihuomadinihu: 5:27pm On Sep 16, 2014
kingston277:
Maybe they were unclad 12,000 year ago but times have change since then when the first advanced civilizations formed in Nigeria with the Nok 3000 years ago. That and later on people dressed like this:

And built like this
Which ethnic group is this?
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by kingston277(m): 5:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
Which ethnic group is this?
Akan, but Nigeria had similar architecture could have even seen among the igbo who didn't build cities.
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Ihuomadinihu: 5:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
kingston277:
Akan, but Nigeria had similar architecture could have even seen among the igbo who didn't build cities.
I don't understand. Igbos did not build cities?
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by kingston277(m): 5:51pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
I don't understand. Igbos did not build cities?
To the best of my knowledge, not to the scale of other ethic groups. They had enough(towns) to form some civilizations though, and they were still pretty advanced.
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Ihuomadinihu: 6:03pm On Sep 16, 2014
kingston277:
to the best of my knowledge, not to the scale of other ethic groups, enough(towns) to form some civilizations though, and they were still pretty advanced.
They had no civilization too?
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by kingston277(m): 6:27pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ihuomadinihu: .
They had no civilization too?
Where did you read that?

2 Likes

Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Nobody: 12:46pm On Sep 17, 2014
kingston277:
To the best of my knowledge, not to the scale of other ethic groups. They had enough(towns) to form some civilizations though, and they were still pretty advanced.

Formed "some" civilizations, although not to the scale of other groups, huh?

Well... I guess it was about time we started stratifying African groups from most civilized to most barbaric. If you can't beat the rest of the racially obsessed world, join them.

....And this is why I find some of this history/empire bullsh*t overrated and dumb.

1 Like

Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by osystein(m): 1:06pm On Sep 17, 2014
Kachisbarbie: They don't look igbo to me though...
They look very African, if you know wah I mean...

What do you mean though, I've seen you make a similar comment on another thread, your comment was that two boys in a pic don't look Nigerian or Ghanaian, but African. Was does that mean?

1 Like

Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Nobody: 1:12pm On Sep 17, 2014
osystein:

What do you mean though, I've seen you make a similar comment on another thread, your comment was that two boys in a pic don't look Nigerian or Ghanaian, but African. Was does that mean?
You are not sure it's me. Go and bring the link, lemme see. Maybe then, I can answer you...
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by osystein(m): 1:17pm On Sep 17, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
You are not sure it's me. Go and bring the link, lemme see. Maybe then, I can answer you...

I'll look for the comment, meanwhile can you explain your previous comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
osystein:

I'll look for the comment, meanwhile can you explain your previous comment.
You may have to bring that one first, bc obviously you were trying to compare both comments while arriving @ a conclusion.
I would be needing that one to answer you 'properly'.
Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by osystein(m): 1:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

oops, that wasn't you, maybe it's your other moniker.

here's the comment https://www.nairaland.com/1839576/ghanas-economic-woes-worsen-apply/6#25177010

1 Like

Re: A Picture Of Three Igbo Women In 1921 by osystein(m): 1:26pm On Sep 17, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
You may have to bring that one first, bc obviously you were trying to compare both comments while arriving @ a conclusion.
I would be needing that one to answer you 'properly'.

I'm just curious about what you meant by very african

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Men Are The Most Open Minded Nigerian Men In Nigeria / Ndi Waawa Na Ndu Oka (wawa And Awka People) / List Of The Over 80 Ethnic Groups In Ethiopia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.