Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:52 AM

Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption (3053 Views)

Photos: How To Calculate Fuel Consumption / Toyota Corola 2007 Model High Fuel Consumption / P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by ora10g: 4:35pm On Sep 14, 2014
Hi all,

car description:
2006 Vw Jetta 2.5 liter engine, gasoline, automatic trans,(tiptronic)

As fuel price is expensive here and going high steadily, i decided to check how much fuel my jetta consumes and what i noticed is a bit surprising to what i have seen on the internet as the normal MPG ratings.

i bought 8.96 liters of fuel when the car gave the reserve alert(low on fuel) and with the fuel purchased, i drove only 54.9 kilometers before it alerted again, with A/c running little of the time. I used A/c for less than 20km of the total time.

i also noticed when on highway and really at high speed, the gear sticks on gear 4, but when i removes foot from the throttle, the gear goes into gear 5 or 6 and will remain until i matches the foot brake to really to come a very low speed before it goes back to normal counting.
What could be the cause of this?

8.96 Liters
54.9 Kilometers.

So is the car fuel consumption high? once noticed a mis-fire if that may help(only once)

Thanks
Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by chillex8(m): 4:59pm On Sep 14, 2014
For a 2.5l engine, be it i-4 or V6, those figures are really economical.

They are even more remarkable if you were doing city driving..

P.s. If you have a check engine light on, pls proceed for a scan.

Cheers.
Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by ora10g: 5:06pm On Sep 14, 2014
it is i5, no CEL light. it was both city and highway, but much more in city traffic than the highway.
thanks
Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 14, 2014
Pic shows what I get on my 09 Jetta with the same engine.

It is in perfect mechanical condition and I drive spiritedly and typically in sports mode unless I am on the freeway. The high 20's are when I drove on the freeway more.

By the way, do you know that this is the recommended oil for your engine?

Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by ora10g: 6:14pm On Sep 14, 2014
@CityNG,
thanks sir, so do you think the fuel consumption with my car normal? as i got that with both city/highway driving. i think it takes more fuel than it should though.

Last time i serviced i used the shell 5w 40 full synthetic oil which i saw in the manual that it is recommended as well. and for atf, used the Ravenol CVT full synthetic as well.

What do you pick of the gear selection error at high speed? especially when i throttle hard to quickly accelerate, if doesn't jerk, it stay on gear 4, then when foot removed it goes to either 5 or 6 and until i depress the brake, or it decelerate, it doesn't come down.
what could be wrong
Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 14, 2014
ora10g: @CityNG,

1) thanks sir, so do you think the fuel consumption with my car normal? as i got that with both city/highway driving. i think it takes more fuel than it should though.

2) Last time i serviced i used the shell 5w 40 full synthetic oil which i saw in the manual that it is recommended as well. and for atf, used the Ravenol CVT full synthetic as well.

3) What do you pick of the gear selection error at high speed? especially when i throttle hard to quickly accelerate, if doesn't jerk, it stay on gear 4, then when foot removed it goes to either 5 or 6 and until i depress the brake, or it decelerate, it doesn't come down.
what could be wrong

1) You really will have to track (over many gas tanks) and compare your readings with Nigeria based users of that car.

2) Excellent, the manual will be more accurate.

3) Are you driving in manual mode or you a re in full automatic mode? If you intend on keeping your car for a long time I recommend that you get this software of your car http://www.ross-tech.com

I'll have mine in Ibadan in December.
Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by ora10g: 7:13pm On Sep 14, 2014
Driving in full automatic mode,
i do not reside in Nigeria but may plan visiting around december as well. can you pm me how much the software + the cables will go for?

Thanks
Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 14, 2014
ora10g: Driving in full automatic mode,
i do not reside in Nigeria but may plan visiting around december as well. can you pm me how much the software + the cables will go for?

Thanks

Go here http://store.ross-tech.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=RTAC&Tab=3 and plug in your VIN number, it will tell you what product to buy. I think around $350 or so. Mine was cheaper as it was simply an upgrade as I've had their stuff for about 10 years now.

You can buy a cable on eBay and download the software to see if you will like it before you commit to it.
Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by ora10g: 9:21pm On Sep 14, 2014
CityNG:

Go here http://store.ross-tech.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=RTAC&Tab=3 and plug in your VIN number, it will tell you what product to buy. I think around $350 or so. Mine was cheaper as it was simply an upgrade as I've had their stuff for about 10 years now.

You can buy a cable on eBay and download the software to see if you will like it before you commit to it.

Great i will look into it, thanks.
But as there is not check light on and the gear selection is wrong at times, what do you think may be wrong from ur experience with the car sir?

Thanks
Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by Nobody: 1:29am On Sep 15, 2014
ora10g:

Great i will look into it, thanks.
But as there is not check light on and the gear selection is wrong at times, what do you think may be wrong from ur experience with the car sir?

Thanks

I haven't experienced that particular fault but I know that not all faults trigger a CEL immediately. With this software (requires learning the software itself somewhat) you will have more data (garnered from live raw data) to help you do further troubleshooting.

You need the stereo cable that this guys sells http://enfigcarstereo.com/RADIO_VW_JETTA_06.html I but all my car ICE stuff from [url]Crutchfield.Com[/url]

Basically you can use any double din stereo.

Pic shows what I plan on doing which is why I'm not in a risk anymore. Mini iPad as the ICE.

The stereo in our cars truly sucks.

Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by ora10g: 2:00am On Sep 15, 2014
CityNG:

I haven't experienced that particular fault but I know that not all faults trigger a CEL immediately. With this software (requires learning the software itself somewhat) you will have more data (garnered from live raw data) to help you do further troubleshooting.

You need the stereo cable that this guys sells http://enfigcarstereo.com/RADIO_VW_JETTA_06.html I but all my car ICE stuff from [url]Crutchfield.Com[/url]

Basically you can use any double din stereo.

Pic shows what I plan on doing which is why I'm not in a risk anymore. Mini iPad as the ICE.

The stereo in our cars truly sucks.

Great input sir, i will look into getting the software then so can actually know where the fault may be from, you mentioned live data, does it mean it can be connected while the car is running(moving) or when in idle but running?

As for the stereo, i saw those guys on YouTube but the diy looks so much complex to me, a lot of cables to connect, that Mini Ipad thing is real classic and awesome, real nice but looks kind of odd to me.
I hope changing the stereo will maintain same level of sound or more but the stock stereo is just too 80s.

Thanks Sir
Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by Nobody: 2:28am On Sep 15, 2014
ora10g:

Great input sir, i will look into getting the software then so can actually know where the fault may be from, you mentioned live data, does it mean it can be connected while the car is running(moving) or when in idle but running?

As for the stereo, i saw those guys on YouTube but the diy looks so much complex to me, a lot of cables to connect, that Mini Ipad thing is real classic and awesome, real nice but looks kind of odd to me.
I hope changing the stereo will maintain same level of sound or more but the stock stereo is just too 80s.

Thanks Sir

Yeah you plug it in and drive.

Then you can play it back and watch what happens at what rpm, etc

It's really good stuff.
Re: Volkwagen Jetta High Fuel Consumption by ora10g: 2:42pm On Sep 15, 2014
CityNG:

Yeah you plug it in and drive.

Then you can play it back and watch what happens at what rpm, etc

It's really good stuff.

Thanks Bro

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Virus Attack On Car AC System. A Must Read For Car Owners With Active AC / Attn: Siena Others (engine Immobilizer Fault On Peugeot 406 Prestige) / Help Needed On My Crashed Nissan Maxima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.