Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,078 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped (15438 Views)

Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler / GTBank's Internet Banking Services...totally OVER-HYPED! / Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 7:50am On Sep 15, 2014
This is obviously my opinion and I am writing as ideas come to my head.

In recent years the word entrepreneur has gained popular usage. Everybody doing a business wants to be called an entrepreneur. This is also applicable in engineering and medical fields, a phone repairer is an engineer and a chemist that dispenses drug is a doctor.
This is quite explanatory, I mean who doesn't want to appear up there? Nigerians have this knack for big names.

Now over to entrepreneurs. The recent trend in help your self and don't wait on the government, unemployment, and an endless resource of people telling you entrepreneurship is the way are not helping matters.

Trust me, I will be an entrepreneur if I sold fishes. I would be an entrepreneur if I sold recharge cards. My tussle is not with these guys.

My tussle is with thousands of self-acclaimed CEOs who want quick money.

To buttress this point, go through the web. The web is actually an hyperbole, go through nairaland. What do you find, several businesses (more appropriately, business persons) trying to advertise in threads. They don't want to advertise using the standard means.

A shift from adverts, you will find several "1st in Africa" and "1st in Nigeria" CEOs with poorly designed sites and in some cases no logo.

In conclusion, while I may be seen as a hater, or someone who doesn't understand the economic conditions in Nigeria, I perfectly understand that an entrepreneur is a risk taker, an initiator, someone who will give everything to succeed.

14 Likes

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by autofreak2020(m): 8:00am On Sep 15, 2014
Thank God it is your opinion.

21 Likes

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 8:30am On Sep 15, 2014
autofreak2020: Thank God it is your opinion.
And if it was a fact?
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 15, 2014
some Nigerians are so dumb right ?
There are millions n millions of jobs opportunities in nigeria which are just waiting to be filled n yet someppl want to stress themselves by being Entrepreneurs.
#sarcasm

45 Likes

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by 2cato: 8:47am On Sep 15, 2014
the op is right doing business in a country like nigeria is realy killing.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 8:48am On Sep 15, 2014
francleanflexy: stress themselves by being Entrepreneurs.
#sarcasm
Not everybody is meant to be an entrepreneur. And a lot of people that call themselves entrepreneurs are sellers and hustlers. The title is so being misused, that's my point.

15 Likes

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by newacca: 9:40am On Sep 15, 2014
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Not everybody is meant to be an entrepreneur. And a lot of people that call themselves entrepreneurs are sellers and hustlers. The title is so being misused, that's my point.

Funny but true smiley

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by MyIncorp: 9:59am On Sep 15, 2014
When we understand who an enterpreneur is, then this discuss will have some bearing. However, different people have their interpretation of enterpreneurship. I believe the ability to commercialize an idea for profit using all the resources available makes you an enterpreneur - whether you are small or big!
I think the fuss should be: An enterpreneur vs a Business Owner.

Click Here to form a Company in Nigeria.

16 Likes

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 10:16am On Sep 15, 2014
@mylncopr the basics therefore becomes who is an entrepreneur and what what are the qualities that make an individual an entrepreneur?

Going by your definition, ability to commercialize an idea and get profits in return, does this make a blogger or a market woman an entrepreneur?

Yes, I totally agree with your definition, but I think what is missing in the Nigerian system is over-use of the word, fear to invest or take risks, and outright lack/blindness to innovation by a majority of "entrepreneurs".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Abbey2sam(m): 11:42am On Sep 15, 2014
Reading.........
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Goldenheart(m): 11:42am On Sep 15, 2014
grin
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by datguru: 11:42am On Sep 15, 2014
exactly
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Project400: 11:42am On Sep 15, 2014
smiley
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by DGKN: 11:42am On Sep 15, 2014
Hmmmm
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by iheanyi40(m): 11:43am On Sep 15, 2014
Opinion aint facts wink
*modified* after reading u av a good point tho
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by bunmioguns(m): 11:43am On Sep 15, 2014
new members are welcome at NSBA
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Emmy9ite(m): 11:44am On Sep 15, 2014
The truth is, people are fed with the wrong definition of an entrepreneur. You must be creative, innovative and a risk taker to be an entrepreneur.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by MadCow1: 11:44am On Sep 15, 2014
Not overhyped... But rather under explained. .

Not everyone has what it takes to be one, and I am not talking about money.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by MissTeaseMe(f): 11:45am On Sep 15, 2014
Ur opinion
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 15, 2014
Tis a good opinion !
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by ichidodo: 11:47am On Sep 15, 2014
O.P will you shat ap.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 15, 2014
truth
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by 100Cents: 11:47am On Sep 15, 2014
I agree and disagree with the poster.

I agree because some people are not cut for it. An entrepreneur is a flexible, streetwise versatile businessman. If you are streetwise but not flexible or versatile, you will still go hungry. That's why I agree with the saying that it is over hyped.

Subsequently, I disagree because if you keep doing what you are doing the right way and keep eliminating your past mistakes to make more profit, increase turnover, seek out new opportunities and you are steadfast, nothing stops you from being a billionaire as an entrepreneur. You start paying the piper. Business is like sailing the high seas while fishing. Sometimes you catch it big. Other times, you catch it small.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by TeamclicksAir: 11:47am On Sep 15, 2014
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by myescrow: 11:48am On Sep 15, 2014
The Op has a point.
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by kel4soft: 11:49am On Sep 15, 2014
Feeble minds don't succeed in Nigeria.
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by holyboss: 11:49am On Sep 15, 2014
Abeg jhor, most naija enterpreneur, are typical 419....always wanting to make it big real quick even with business with cheap standard.
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by xtervaganza(m): 11:49am On Sep 15, 2014
Op is incredibly dumb

Being an entrepreneur isn't all about the money or how big the enterprise is...

It's about being in control of your life and destiny.

As an entrepreneur u can decide to stay at home a day of do whatever you like

U can't working under an institution or a boss

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 15, 2014
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

sorry to say.... you lack common sense. I know your idea of an entrepreneur is in the class of Bill Gates, Dangote et al but you fail to realise that these guys also started from scratch and therefore, it means that anyone who does not start big isn't an entrepreneur.

What is your definition of Entrepreneurship?

Entrepreneurship is the process of starting a business or other organization. The entrepreneur develops a business model, acquires the human and other required resources, and is fully responsible for its success or failure--Wikipedia

I don't waste time on folks like you... so where there are no jobs, people should still fold their hands and wait for manner to fall from heaven or you will feed them?

Rubbish!

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by quest003: 11:50am On Sep 15, 2014
sexmachine01: [size=40pt] You can change your own story
Meet beautiful and richsugar mummies who are looking for young vibrant guys Here!!!
[/size]
wére lè lèyi o! You, u no vibrant? You are an animal somebody . SEXTREPRENEUR, èran ko.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Old Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender Indefinitely – CBN / 276,852 Pos Transactions Failed On Christmas Eve —NIBSS / 7 Must-have Qualities If You Want To Succeed In Any Online Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.