Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? (5785 Views)

***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? / Questions About Nigerian Culture And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by zboyd: 8:25am On Sep 15, 2014
Why do some Nigerians seem at odds with certain celebrations and holidays, deeming them un-Nigerian or un-Christian?

Cases in point...

Nigerians And Birthday Celebrations

"Birthdays, weddings, and funerals have supplanted traditional communal events, such as festivals, which are now considered uncivilised, if not fetish." "...culture and language are dynamic. They undergo change. Some practices and words are dropped, while new ones are taken on, often through borrowing from others. The problem with Nigerians is that so much have been borrowed and adopted from outside that the peoples’ cultural and linguistic roots have been shaken to their foundations. The repercussions are grave for future generations."

Read more: http://www.punchng.com/politics/nigerians-and-birthday-celebrations/

Nigerians And Valentine's Day

"Valentine's Day comes with a yearly ritual." - Charles Novia

Read more: http://naijagists.com/valentines-day-in-nigeria-comes-with-a-yearly-ritual-says-charles-novia/

Nigerians and Christmas Celebrations

“We don’t celebrate Christmas. It actually came from idolatrous background. That is why you don’t hear us sing what they call Christmas carol, Never! We always say it is the December retreat. We are only gathering together because it is the holiday period and love the lord more, and rededicate ourselves more." -Pastor W.F Kumuyi, General Overseer of the Deeper Christian Life Ministry

Read more: http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/24756/4/celebrating-christmas-is-idolatory-and-unscriptura.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by iheanyi40(m): 6:08am On Sep 17, 2014
Finally FTC cheesy
Todae gonna b a good day 4 mii wink
Wanna thank MTN 4 giving mii a fast network u guys r d best kiss

Back to topic- dnt even av anyfin to comment embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by kbshow100(m): 6:08am On Sep 17, 2014
MB wasting thread. I regret visiting
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by Sagytarius(m): 6:09am On Sep 17, 2014
Wearing Suit under a hot weather, all in the name of being "cooperate" at work.

1 Like

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by kbshow100(m): 6:09am On Sep 17, 2014
iheanyi40: .
sharp guy
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by Wiseoldman: 6:09am On Sep 17, 2014
A lot...
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by siino(m): 6:11am On Sep 17, 2014
Ok I dey come make I ask google........... grin grin grin
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by johnstar(m): 6:11am On Sep 17, 2014

1 Like

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by seedord247(m): 6:12am On Sep 17, 2014
Imagine Nigerians celebrating halloweens but they hate all these village masquerade

11 Likes

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by justi4jesu(f): 6:15am On Sep 17, 2014
iheanyi40: .

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by justi4jesu(f): 6:15am On Sep 17, 2014
johnstar: .

angry angry
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 6:15am On Sep 17, 2014
The only effect I know/see is that borrowed cultures are eating deep into our pockets, especially for the guys/men, valentines day expense is expected to be on the guy,what of birthdays,on her birthday, you hgot to take her out,on your birthday, you also got to take her out,weddings these days are so expensive because of international standards, even the couple will do dance drama for their guests on their wedding day angry angry angry #going back to bed#

2 Likes

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by johnstar(m): 6:16am On Sep 17, 2014
justi4jesu:

angry angry
undecided
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by oathman(m): 6:16am On Sep 17, 2014
Nigerians and Christmas Celebrations

“We don’t celebrate Christmas. It actually came from idolatrous background. That is why you don’t hear us sing what they call Christmas carol, Never! We always say it is the December retreat. We are only gathering together because it is the holiday period and love the lord more, and rededicate ourselves more." -Pastor W.F Kumuyi, General Overseer of the Deeper Christian Life Ministry

Read more: http://www.nigeriafilms.com/news/24756/4/celebrating-christmas-is-

let em knw

1 Like

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by iheanyi40(m): 6:17am On Sep 17, 2014
kbshow100: sharp guy
hehe baba I don modify am ni
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by iheanyi40(m): 6:17am On Sep 17, 2014
iwakolewa: The only effect I know/see is that borrowed cultures are eating deep into our pockets, especially for the guys/men, valentines day expense is expected to be on the guy,what of birthdays,on her birthday, you hgot to take her out,on your birthday, you also got to take her out
ure mouthed

2 Likes

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by iheanyi40(m): 6:18am On Sep 17, 2014
justi4jesu:

tonguetongue
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by olorunthobby(f): 6:18am On Sep 17, 2014
wait..

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by justi4jesu(f): 6:19am On Sep 17, 2014
johnstar: undecided

cry
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by godonzoki(m): 6:19am On Sep 17, 2014
Isn't it obvious dat our culture n heritage is suffering as d days pass by. Younger generations hv lost morals n attitude all because they wanna adopt d foreign wey of life. A child will c an elder n will remove his hand to shake an elder first instead of postrating like the Yorubas. Our language has also suffered it too not to talk of our food.
Its obvious that there is increased health challenges like cancer is on d rise bc of so called foreign genetically enhanced foods. Compare health standards of today n that of our fathers who lived in d villages, hw many of them died prematurely? That's bc they ate fresh meals from dia farms.
Dressing pattern is d worst. All in a bid to immitate foreign culture, we loose our sense of dignity bc U r addressed d way U dress. Mk I baff first, I dey com bk to continue.

5 Likes

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by johnstar(m): 6:20am On Sep 17, 2014
justi4jesu:

cry
tongue
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by freshness2020: 6:24am On Sep 17, 2014
Still typing...

1 Like

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by Nobody: 6:25am On Sep 17, 2014
Ok
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by danaiks(m): 6:25am On Sep 17, 2014
Technology is modifying everything

Just lik the way I modified dis comment wink
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by Kayraph(m): 6:26am On Sep 17, 2014
We ve a lot of borrowed cultures that are shifting our attentions awayour our culture.

Unfortunately, the present day generation are worse off for it.
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by hensben(m): 6:28am On Sep 17, 2014
The issue is that our way of life(culture) looks untidy n dirty in our eyes while everything about western world look neat, tidy and attractive which make it civilize so we easily accept them even when we don't know how they came about but the truth is that everything about white look clean e.g their country(environment).
Everything about us now look primitive in our eyes, I have seen somebody who doesn't eat eba/pounded yam n soup in fast food cos he is ashame.
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by cococandy(f): 6:28am On Sep 17, 2014
Not in my area.
Most of our cultural celebrations are still intact.

We even celebrate CHRISTAIN christmas with masquerades.(Funny right?)

U wan try mbaise people? cheesy

Our new yam festivals
Kola festivals
Okwukwu rites
Etc etc dem plenty sha

3 Likes

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by sunnedee: 6:29am On Sep 17, 2014
Like borrowing to do your wedding.... I tire
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by cococandy(f): 6:30am On Sep 17, 2014
Not for me.
My guy's b'day and specials days eats into my pocket too.
The guys must not do everything all the time.
iwakolewa: The only effect I know/see is that borrowed cultures are eating deep into our pockets, especially for the guys/men, valentines day expense is expected to be on the guy,what of birthdays,on her birthday, you hgot to take her out,on your birthday, you also got to take her out,weddings these days are so expensive because of international standards, even the couple will do dance drama for their guests on their wedding day angry angry angry #going back to bed#

1 Like

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by momentum85(m): 6:30am On Sep 17, 2014
op i wonder oo, what marvels me is that many of these celebration we borrowed have an idolatrious background but we ignored our own culture and term them 'fetish'. Dumping our culture may be what is causing this untimely death in this our generation.
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by sunnedee: 6:31am On Sep 17, 2014
cococandy: Not in my area.
Most of our cultural celebrations are still intact.

We even celebrate CHRISTAIN christmas with masquerades.(Funny right?)

U wan try mbaise people? cheesy

Our new yam festivals
Kola festivals
Okwukwu rites
Etc etc dem plenty sha

You are mbaise?? shocked Hmmmm.....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Funny Yoruba Language Learners. / Do We Still Have Some Communities In Igbo Land Still Eats Humans? / 10 Bizarre Collections From Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.