Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,745 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:27 PM

Sitting Too Long Can Shorten Your Life Span ; Study - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sitting Too Long Can Shorten Your Life Span ; Study (611 Views)

Did You Know Sitting Down For More Than 5 Hours A Day Can Shorten Lifespan.. / Top-5 Bad Foods That Can Shorten Your Life / Watching TV Shortens Life Span (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sitting Too Long Can Shorten Your Life Span ; Study by DEagle1: 9:18pm On Sep 15, 2014
I came across this article on one of the pages of the Guardian and I thought I could share it here for the benefit of all because most people are guilty of this practice:
It is widely known that sitting for prolonged periods of time can have adverse health effects. But new study published in the British Journal os Sports Medicine that shortening the amount of time spent sitting could protect aging DNA and even prolong lifespan.
Sit less: the new study found that reduced sitting time is linked with telomere lengthening, which could potentially prolong lifespan.
Previous studies reported by Medical News Today have suggested that individuals who spend less time sitting have lower risk for chronic diseases- such as diabetes, stroke, brest and colon cancer- and lower risk for heart failure.
But reseachers from this study looked at how physical activity lengthens telomeres. Telomeres sit on the ''DNA storage units'' of each cell called chromosomes and stop them from unravelling or clumping together and 'scrambling' the genetic coodes they contain.
How sitting too long affects your
Head: Blood clots that form after sitting too rigidly can travel to the brain.
Neck: Fluid retained in the legs during the day moves to the neck at night and contributes to obstructive sleep apnea.
Stomach: Sitting too much contributes to obesity and colon cancer. Enzymes in blood vessels of muscles responsible for burning fat get shut off, and the body's method of metabolizing fuels gets disturbed.
Heart: A sedentary lifestyle contributes to cardiovascular disease. In people who suffer from heart failure and obstructive sleep apnea, fluid collects in the lungs and neck at night. A little more detail in September 11th, 2014 Guardian. All the best as you practice
Re: Sitting Too Long Can Shorten Your Life Span ; Study by Sookul: 10:31pm On Sep 15, 2014
My guy you are on point, thanks for this

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Body Creams / Oba Of Benin Gives Jonathan Highest Royal Attire / 9 Common Bad Habits We Must Quit For Healthy Living.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.