Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,193 members, 7,811,506 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

Watching TV Shortens Life Span - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Watching TV Shortens Life Span (16157 Views)

Obesity Shortens Life More Than Smoking / Nigerian Foods That Shortens Your Lifespan And Makes You Die Younger / The More You Sit, The Shorter Your Life Span -study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Watching TV Shortens Life Span by opisco01(m): 3:52pm On Sep 27, 2012
Every hour spent watching Tv, Dvds, videos as an adult reduces life expectancy by 22 minutes a study suggests.
People who watch Tv on an average of six hours each day can expect to live 5 years less than those who do not. Tv lovers take note

Anyone who spends six hours a day in front of the box is at risk of dying five years sooner than those who enjoy more active pastimes, it is claimed.
Researchers say that watching too much TV is as dangerous as smoking or being overweight, and that the “ubiquitous sedentary behaviour” should be seen as a “public health problem”.
Experts from the University of Queensland, Australia, write: “TV viewing time may have adverse health consequences that rival those of lack of physical activity, obesity and smoking; every single hour of TV viewed may shorten life by as much as 22 minutes.”

Referring to Australian and American guidelines that suggest children should spend no more than two hours a day in front of a screen, the academics conclude: “With further corroborative evidence, a public health case could be made that adults also need to limit the time spent watching TV.”
Although health campaigners – and parents – have long warned of the dangers of watching too much television, its effects on life expectancy have never before been calculated.

More At: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8702101/Every-hour-of-TV-watching-shortens-life-by-22-minutes.html

2 Likes

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by ZUBY77(m): 9:24am On Sep 28, 2012
Every 10 minutes spent having s3x or watching por.n brings the lost 22 minutes back.

Seriously, someone should remind this Oyibo people that we are no longer students as a people. We have graduated.

23 Likes

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by miteolu(m): 9:24am On Sep 28, 2012
Na lie
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by PaulJohn1: 9:25am On Sep 28, 2012
Na lie tongue
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by ngmart(m): 9:26am On Sep 28, 2012
That means i have short time to live................. rubbish..

1 Like

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Businesstools(m): 9:27am On Sep 28, 2012
A big lie.

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Ariyke: 9:28am On Sep 28, 2012
wonders shall never end
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by IYANGBALI: 9:28am On Sep 28, 2012
kini big deal?na who wan live forever before?abeg make we hear word jo

2 Likes

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by edoyad(m): 9:30am On Sep 28, 2012
ZUBY77: Every 10 minutes spent having s3x or watching por.n brings the lost 22 minutes back.

Seriously, someone should remind this Oyibo people that we are no longer students as a people. We have graduated.
grin grin
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Shaw007(m): 9:30am On Sep 28, 2012
Hunhun!!

Live a boring life and die old

live a fulfilling,fun-filled life and die 5yrs short of old. . .take your pick

1 Like

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by olu4life(m): 9:31am On Sep 28, 2012
I suppose don die na with all the season films wey i done watch. Mtscheeeeew. All this yeye research sef,who ask dem?!

9 Likes

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by akpunku1: 9:31am On Sep 28, 2012
ok nah - fact is everything we do on earth contributes to our ageing process but as for reducing my life by more than 6yrs, i aint buying that crap. Thank me later

3 Likes

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Flexskillz(m): 9:33am On Sep 28, 2012
Ok. Africa magic lovers take note! An average movie may be an hour and half lenght long. So 3 home video daily....you can do the math yourself. These people with their wayo.
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Cyberknight: 9:33am On Sep 28, 2012
Wait until LG, Samsung, Sony and the other electronics companies bring out their own sponsored reasearch saying that TV viewing is relaxing, health-promoting, and releases good hormones into you system. Scientists work for the highest bidder.

7 Likes

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by gen2briz(m): 9:34am On Sep 28, 2012
sebi na me get my life......

2 Likes

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by wilsoncoker(m): 9:34am On Sep 28, 2012
opisco01: Every hour spent watching Tv, Dvds, videos as an adult reduces life expectancy by 22 minutes a study suggests.
People who watch Tv on an average of six hours each day can expect to live 5 years less than those who do not. Tv lovers take note

Anyone who spends six hours a day in front of the box is at risk of dying five years sooner than those who enjoy more active pastimes, it is claimed.
Researchers say that watching too much TV is as dangerous as smoking or being overweight, and that the “ubiquitous sedentary behaviour” should be seen as a “public health problem”.
Experts from the University of Queensland, Australia, write: “TV viewing time may have adverse health consequences that rival those of lack of physical activity, obesity and smoking; every single hour of TV viewed may shorten life by as much as 22 minutes.”

Referring to Australian and American guidelines that suggest children should spend no more than two hours a day in front of a screen, the academics conclude: “With further corroborative evidence, a public health case could be made that adults also need to limit the time spent watching TV.”
Although health campaigners – and parents – have long warned of the dangers of watching too much television, its effects on life expectancy have never before been calculated.

More At: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8702101/Every-hour-of-TV-watching-shortens-life-by-22-minutes.html
its a biggg lie...den y many pple neva die na...abeg na stori

1 Like

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Afam4eva(m): 9:34am On Sep 28, 2012
Enough with all this finding and let's live our lives like we've been living it.
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Lawconfessor(f): 9:37am On Sep 28, 2012
If its true- what about those that spend hours on d computer?

Even d oyibos dt cant do withous computers n 24hrs live news feed televison.

Mtchwwwwwww. Conjured lie
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by saintohia: 9:37am On Sep 28, 2012
He mentioned time spent on screens... many ppl work on computers ( Laptops, desktops etc), are they not screens? If the theory is correct, it means we're already living our half life.

The world population would have been reduced by more than 10 - 20% by now.

2 Likes

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Donawoite(m): 9:38am On Sep 28, 2012
ZUBY77: Every 10 minutes spent having s3x or watching por.n brings the lost 22 minutes back.

lolz..
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by garripack: 9:39am On Sep 28, 2012
[size=30pt]JOBLESSNESS IN THE HIGHEST SCALE[/size] [size=40pt]BUT DONT WORRY I WOULD SET UP A PANEL TO LOOK IN TO IT (GEJ)....GFCR[/size]

1 Like

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Obinoscopy(m): 9:42am On Sep 28, 2012
Watching TV cannot and should not be a good causative factor of lifespan reduction. This is because there is a confounding factor which is sedentary lifestyle.
Watching TV is, in itself, not the cause of lifespan reduction but rather its sedentary lifestyle that is the true causative factor.
I bet the statisticians never did multiple regression or Mantel Hatzch analysis to remove the effect of confounders in their result.

2 Likes

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Fourcade(m): 9:42am On Sep 28, 2012
Who is to blame? undecided CBS,SHOWCASE,FX,FOX,ABC,AMC,USA Network,SHOWTIME and HBO. sad sad sad
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Tos87(m): 9:47am On Sep 28, 2012
Ȧȴȴ those CIA,FBI,CID,NASA them thats sticks their eye ѳπ PC monitor 24/7,waiting go happen Ţ☹•◦ them?..or Monitor no b TV screem? grin grin lol in Swahili
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by GARRIWARLORD(m): 9:49am On Sep 28, 2012

No be still the oyinbo people dey produce the tv.. So if they are trying to make tv sound dengerous,then i think it's their loss,cos the demand will reudce. For them to come out and say this,it really means it's dangerous.. Haven't you noticed how lights from tv sets and phones makes the eyes weak at night...
My guy, we never graduate cos we no wan gree graduate.. Common tiger battery we neva fit make,and you dey say we don graduate.. Until we wake up and stop looking the white man as a superior,we will never graduate,i mean never..
There is only one thing on earth i know of,that can replace those lost 22 minutes..the name is **ok just forget** i dont want what happened to my real username to repeat itself again ....
Btw!! Mods pls un-ban kslib.. I was banned cos i used garri ideology to defend innocent flood victims...

1 Like

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Fourcade(m): 9:50am On Sep 28, 2012
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 28, 2012
[size=60pt]BIG LIE![/size]
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Jyde89: 9:52am On Sep 28, 2012
Baba nla nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Abujafood: 9:54am On Sep 28, 2012
All those of you deriding this research work, have you done any serious research to disprove what they're saying? Better be sure of your facts before you comment!

I'm not saying they're right but until evidence to disprove what they've found comes forward it's better to just shut up!

1 Like

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Delfino: 9:54am On Sep 28, 2012
... if not we would be celebrating 900yrs birthdays abi

study my foot !!!

1 Like

Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 28, 2012
Omo, na one eye I go take dey watch my LED TV henceforth...and na 30 mins maximum I go spend watching tv daily, no matter how the program sweet...
Re: Watching TV Shortens Life Span by Obassy(f): 9:56am On Sep 28, 2012
If this research true, i don die b dat cos i dey watch TV for 6hrs and above

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Weeks U/S. No Heartbeat, No Foetal Pole Only Gestational Sac. / My 23 Year Old Sister Just Tested Hiv Positive And Has Won American Visa. / Black Women Five Times More Likely To Die During Childbirth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.