Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,014 members, 7,835,435 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 (30987 Views)

South Africans Attack Nigerians -VANGUARD / See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Voicefilter: 3:08pm On Sep 18, 2014
iterator25: but they were able to contain ebola...what are you saying?

Did they really contain it? I would not be so sure because 100 people would have not been quarantined because of one person.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by morpheus24: 3:49pm On Sep 18, 2014
Voicefilter:
Did they really contain it? I would not be so sure because 100 people would have not been quarantined because of one person.

Where are you getting the 100 people quarantined number from.

a couple of hundred secondary contacts were observed and most passed the 21 day incubation period. Some "observations" still going on in Port Harcourt.

19 people were infected with the disease and most were quarantined. Most were health care workers and primary contacts with the index case. the survival rate was at 60% meaning a little over half survived the disease and the rest passed away.

So far no NEW cases of Ebola reported in the past 2 weeks.

If that aint containment compared to the rest of the developing nations concerned, I don't know what is.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by morpheus24: 3:56pm On Sep 18, 2014
Voicefilter: Now our humanitarian organisations were denied entry in the hospitals. The Nigerian government does not have value for human lives.Yet they do not have the resources to handle disasters. I feel sorry for ordinary people in that country. It does not help to be stubborn if nothing wise comes out of it. They want to hide information.

Nope, they want to make sure SA's don't run with the story for headlines like the "67 dead" claimed by Zuma when the authorities have discovered so far 45 unidentified bodies.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by iterator25: 6:51pm On Sep 18, 2014
Voicefilter:

dummy, there's no Ebola case in the country anymore .. update yourself
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by iterator25: 6:52pm On Sep 18, 2014
morpheus24:

Where are you getting the 100 people quarantined number from.

a couple of hundred secondary contacts were observed and most passed the 21 day incubation period. Some "observations" still going on in Port Harcourt.

19 people were infected with the disease and most were quarantined. Most were health care workers and primary contacts with the index case. the survival rate was at 60% meaning a little over half survived the disease and the rest passed away.

So far no NEW cases of Ebola reported in the past 2 weeks.

If that aint containment compared to the rest of the developing nations concerned, I don't know what is.
saffers lack comprehension skills
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Centrifude(m): 8:25pm On Sep 18, 2014
I knew this was going into another S.A vs Nigeria debate, we should be gathering different sources of information, comparing and trying to figure out what really happened

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 8:40pm On Sep 18, 2014
A GROUP of 10 experts has been dispatched to Nigeria to evaluate the needs of South African citizens who may have been involved in the collapse of faith healer TB Joshua’s Synagogue Church of Nations building last week, says International Relations and Co-operation Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane.

Addressing a media briefing at Parliament on Wednesday night, she said the group would include doctors who would be able to sign death certificates and see if those South Africans who were in hospital were receiving adequate treatment.

She said this was standard practice by the government and was being done on its own initiative.

Ms Nkoana-Mashabane said the South African consul-general in Lagos had been gathering information and keeping the government updated on the latest news. "This is the largest number of South Africans ever killed in a tragedy in a foreign nation," she said.

SA’s consul-general in Lagos has been working around the clock, visiting the scene, liaising with the leadership of the church and other authorities. In addition, the South African High Commission in the capital, Abuja, has seconded staff to Lagos to provide assistance to the consul-general.

"I am also able to confirm that an advance team of disaster management personnel is on the way to Lagos. In Pretoria, an inter-departmental team has been put together to co-ordinate all government activities relating to the calamity."

Ms Nkoana-Mashabane repeated President Jacob Zuma’s statement made on Tuesday that 67 South Africans had been killed in the building’s collapse. However, this appears to conflict with the Nigerian national emergency management agency’s claim that a total of 70 people had been killed and 131 rescued.

SA and Nigeria have developed business links with companies such as cellular network operator MTN and retailer Shoprite having operations there.

Ms Nkoana-Mashabane said at any given time there were about 300 South Africans in Nigeria.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 8:43pm On Sep 18, 2014
Centrifude: I knew this was going into another S.A vs Nigeria debate, we should be gathering different sources of information, comparing and trying to figure out what really happened

Don't get into it. Rise above it, bro.

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Centrifude(m): 8:50pm On Sep 18, 2014
DieVluit:

Don't get into it. Rise above it, bro.
yeah you're right man I might as well ignore it.

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 9:24pm On Sep 18, 2014
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/17/world/africa/nigeria-church-collapse/index.html

At least 70 killed in Nigeria house collapse

updated 14:48 GMT 09.17.14
At least 70 killed in Nigeria house collapse
By Jason Hanna, Pierre Meilhan and Aminu Abubakar, CNN
SHARE THIS

A A A (resize font)
(CNN) - The death toll in last week's collapse of a guesthouse at a church run by a famous Nigerian preacher has risen to at least 70, a rescue agency official said Wednesday.

Rescuers have helped 131 other people out of the rubble and still are looking for more survivors from Friday's collapse of the two-story guesthouse at The Synagogue, Church Of All Nations, Nigerian Emergency Management Agency spokesman Ibrahim Farinloye told reporters at the collapse site.

The building, at the church run by televangelist T.B. Joshua in the Ikotun area of Lagos, came down Friday afternoon amid work to build additional floors, NEMA said.

Farinloye said NEMA hasn't identified the victims. On Tuesday, South African President Jacob Zuma said 67 South Africans were among the dead.

"This is a particularly difficult time for South Africa. Not in the recent history of our country have we had this large number of our people die in one incident outside the country," he said, according to a statement released by the President's office Tuesday.

NEMA said an investigation into the cause hasn't begun. But on its Facebook page Friday, NEMA said that two stories were being added without fortifying the foundation of the initial structure, and that there was a "high probability" this is what led to the collapse.

Joshua, dubbed "The Prophet" for his self-acclaimed healing powers and prophesies, has a large following among Nigerians and followers across the world.

His church attracts thousands of followers who attend every week to listen to his sermons, which are also telecast live on the church's television station.

"People travel from around the world to witness and receive from the mighty work that God is doing in the life of Prophet TB Joshua," the church's website says.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by raphy(m): 9:44pm On Sep 18, 2014
God hv mercy .67foreigners so no naija dey there.how can he said its boko haram ?this look like money ritual things.

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by delishpot: 10:47pm On Sep 18, 2014
onitshaigbo:

We can't fathom God. God is mystery and beyond our understanding and comprehension. TB Joshua is a Prophet of God. If you don't fear TB Joshua, you don't fear God. If you don't respect TB Joshua, then you don't respect God.

Why should I fear a man? I fear only God and respect men of God. I cant fear any man of God in this time and age. Even Jesus Christ himself told us to shine our eyes and not "fear" or follow blindly any man that comes as a prophet of God. He clearly warned us not to look unto man for salvation and he encouraged us all to pray for ourselves.
TB does his miracles, alms giving and deliverances exactly as jesus condemned. Jesus clearly was against showing off. He said those who give in public, pray in public and do other godly things in public so that the people around will see them and say WOW! Is doing it for self gratification and that such a man has already recieved his reward here on earth.
TB runs his ministry like a showman. They are plenty who do that.
I have nothing against them and I trully pray that God will open their eyes and turn their hearts from the grip of showoff and plant them firmly upon his word and give them the grace to serve him in truth and in spirit.

God did not cause that building to crash if it is proven beyound doubt that the foundation carried more floors than it was originaly intended to carry.
Unless its a natural disaster, I will say TB and his contractors be punished or finned. If he was not aware of the over burdened foundation then he should be finned
God protect us all.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 8:17am On Sep 19, 2014
raphy: God hv mercy .67foreigners so no naija dey there.how can he said its boko haram ?this look like money ritual things.

As of now, the indicative death rate for South Africans has risen to 84!

The number of South Africans killed in a building collapse in Nigeria has increased from 67 to 84, SABC radio news reported on Friday.

South Africa's high commissioner to Nigeria, Lulu Louis Mnguni, told the state broadcaster in an interview on Friday morning the death toll had gone up to 84.

“The number has risen to 84,” Mnguni said.

He said the search for those unaccounted for had been called off; and those people were now presumed dead.

“The search… has come to a conclusion. There were still 17 bodies outstanding,” said Mnguni.

President Jacob Zuma announced earlier this week that 67 South Africans were killed when the Synagogue Church of All Nations in Nigeria collapsed a week ago.

But on Thursday, authorities said another 17 South Africans were still unaccounted for.

A total of 349 South Africans were in Lagos on matters connected to the church when the disaster occurred.

Of these, 265 were found alive. - Sapa

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by KLEINBASS: 9:15am On Sep 19, 2014
South Africa rescuers in Nigeria

A South African rescue team has flown to Nigeria to help locate missing South Africans believed to have been inside a church hostel when it collapsed last week in Lagos.

The team will be able to sign death certificates and check that survivors are getting adequate treatment.

Of the 80 confirmed deaths, at least 67 were from South Africa.

They had gone to Nigeria to attend a gathering organised by famous Nigerian TV evangelist TB Joshua.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29250552
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by olaeffect(m): 9:16am On Sep 19, 2014
iterator25: don't blame the govt but Nigerian travellers .. some travel with fake documents and what not

And those that die at home from one mishap or the other without us hearing about it also have fake documents abi?

We don't value life, simple. No any excuse. Nigerian students under Federal government scholarship are abandoned aboard and left to suffer, they too are also having fake documents abi?
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Chigold101(m): 10:05am On Sep 19, 2014
lordsilver:

Do u know what it means to be a Chief Excutive of a country?

The fact that u know how to write does not change anything bro.
i v bn thinkn if ur brain is workn well at all okay now i get it. u are high on some ilegal stuff
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Chigold101(m): 10:13am On Sep 19, 2014
Voicefilter:

what are these people doing in nigeria? if sa is a haven what brought more than 300 of them to a place where many nigerians are sceptical of?
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by lordsilver: 10:22am On Sep 19, 2014
Chigold101: i thought my brain is workn well at all okay now i get it. I am high on some ilegal stuff

Are u serious?
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 10:27am On Sep 19, 2014
We thank the assessment and other teams, which continue to do good work under difficult conditions.

10 South Africans identified.

South African assessment team which travelled to the West African country on Wednesday said the 10 bodies were identified through reference to identity documents found in their possession.
The families of the deceased had been notified and social workers had been deployed to assist them, government said.

Officials were maintaining contact with relatives of those who were visiting the church and had asked them to send photographs of their relatives which could be used for identification purposes.

“Since the appeal made yesterday [on Wednesday] for family members to send photographs of their affected loved ones to the operations centre at dirco, we have received an overwhelmingly positive response and we appreciate this gesture of cooperation,” government said in a statement.
“We have forwarded the pictures to the South African consulate in Nigeria and the team on the ground in Lagos is making use of the pictures in the process of identifying those of our fallen compatriots who can still be identified through the use of photographs.
“We understand that some of the bodies may take a while to be positively identified due to the nature and extent of the calamity.”
A guest house belonging to the church, led by Prophet TB Joshua, collapsed and was reduced to rubble on Friday.
The assessment team has established that 349 South Africans were in Lagos on matters connected to the church when the disaster occurred.
“Of these, 265 were found alive. Out of the 84 that are unaccounted for, the figure of our compatriots that perished, as received from our mission, stands at 67,” government said in a statement.
Some of the survivors of the incident had arrived back in South Africa.
The assessment team was making arrangements for the treatment and return of those who were injured in the disaster.
“The team will also work with authorities on the process of the repatriation of the mortal remains of deceased South Africans,” said government, adding that it would ensure that all the country’s citizens were accounted for.
“The SA high commissioner and the consul-general have been working with the leadership of the church and other authorities, visiting the scene, going to hospitals and mortuaries in an effort to provide assistance to all our affected citizens,” said government.

A 24-hour operations centre had also set up at the department of international relations and cooperation to relay information from Nigeria to the families as well as to receive information from the families and to share such information with the team on the ground in Lagos.
- Sapa
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by onitshaigbo(m): 3:53pm On Sep 19, 2014
delishpot:

Why should I fear a man? I fear only God and respect men of God. I cant fear any man of God in this time and age. Even Jesus Christ himself told us to shine our eyes and not "fear" or follow blindly any man that comes as a prophet of God. He clearly warned us not to look unto man for salvation and he encouraged us all to pray for ourselves.
TB does his miracles, alms giving and deliverances exactly as jesus condemned. Jesus clearly was against showing off. He said those who give in public, pray in public and do other godly things in public so that the people around will see them and say WOW! Is doing it for self gratification and that such a man has already recieved his reward here on earth.
TB runs his ministry like a showman. They are plenty who do that.
I have nothing against them and I trully pray that God will open their eyes and turn their hearts from the grip of showoff and plant them firmly upon his word and give them the grace to serve him in truth and in spirit.

God did not cause that building to crash if it is proven beyound doubt that the foundation carried more floors than it was originaly intended to carry.
Unless its a natural disaster, I will say TB and his contractors be punished or finned. If he was not aware of the over burdened foundation then he should be finned
God protect us all.

I do not rule out the possibility that you're good-intentioned but simply confused.

You say that Prophet TB Joshua is ostentatious; was not Christ also ostentatious in order to spread God's message?

You say you fear no man. But TB Joshua's message and prophesies come from God directly, so if you doubt them, you are doubting what God says.

If LASG dares to arrest the Prophet and shutdown SCOAN, God will certainly punish Lagos severely for its wickedness.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Memyselfu2009(m): 9:26pm On Sep 19, 2014
priscaoge:

Oga did u read what u just typed before posting

if letter t dont make u understand my post then i sorry 4 u every1 make mistake so add t infront of can u will understand d grammer welll
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Memyselfu2009(m): 9:27pm On Sep 19, 2014
priscaoge:

if letter t dont make u understand my post then i sorry 4 u every1 make mistake so add t infront of can u will understand d grammer welll
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by priscaoge(f): 9:54pm On Sep 19, 2014
Memyselfu2009:

But u are still not making sense broundecidedundecided,Anyway don't bother explaining,it's past. Do have a good night rest!
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by delishpot: 10:29pm On Sep 19, 2014
onitshaigbo:

I do not rule out the possibility that you're good-intentioned but simply confused.

You say that Prophet TB Joshua is ostentatious; was not Christ also ostentatious in order to spread God's message?

You say you fear no man.t But TB Joshua's message and prophesies come from God directly, so if you doubt them, you are doubting what God says.

If LASG dares to arrest the Prophet and shutdown SCOAN, God will certainly punish Lagos severely for its wickedness.

And you are 100% sure his messages come from God?
Abegi, if found guilty, he should be locked down. Let God decide whom he will punish. No one including TB joshua can force or make God punish anyone.
Ha ha. So If one doubts a so called prophet that you believe in, it means one doubts God? So it means Jesus christ himself was wrong when he said we should not be quick to believe anyone who comes preaching in his name? Was he wrong when he said in the last days many false prophets will arise and cause many to sin and thus we should beware? So I must believe every man who calls himself prophet just to prove my belief in God?
Abegi, if the man guilty sharp sharp for jail no two ways abourit. Plus all his followers that are helping hide his guilt if need be join am.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Centrifude(m): 12:18am On Sep 20, 2014
rickkid: To any South African reading this:

We empathise with you and feel pain for your loss. We hope that you will not judge our entire country by the actions of a single fraudster posing as a spiritual leader. We love hosting you in our country because due to our sheer size, we often don't get to meet that many (non-West African) Africans here.
We hope you will still visit our country but instead of spending time listening to fraudsters and false prophets, you take your time to explore this beautiful country, from Ilashe Island in Lagos to Tinapa Resort in Calabar, to Obudu cattle ranch, to the temperate middle belt region and its stunning variances in climate and topography. There are hundreds of events, people, places and activities to keep you occupied in this country. So come experience Nigeria and don't let one man ruin your image or experience of Nigeria.

You know we might diss you, mock you, laugh at you and curse you on the internet but when push comes to shove, we're still your brothers and if anything comes up, we always have your back no matter what.
At the end of the day, we're all we have.
RIP to the dead.
We will meet again one day.
Thanx for the honesty and the message and I can definitely assure you that most people in S.A don't blame the whole of Nigeria for this accident, the people we blame are the ones who authorised the addition of two more levels on top of a building that many people claimed was already unstable. And I'm glad to know that many people from other countries also see that man for the fraudster he really is.

And please don't pay much attention to the South Africans here and on other threads busy trying to act all high and might claiming that Nigeria is very negligent... Last month a suburban home here in S.A collapsed on workers who were busy extending it, killing about 7 of them, because of very similar circumstances to what happened in Synagogue, people doing things illegally and being as cheap as possible, so yeah we do understand hey Sh*t happens, we have a lot of fraudsters and liars too out here in S.A

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Centrifude(m): 12:39am On Sep 20, 2014
onitshaigbo: All you haters in this thread, do you value your life? Doubting The Prophet is doubting God. Insulting The Prophet is insulting God! God will surely punish you!

Only the braindead does not see that evil forces, the agents of the Devil are behind this tragedy. SCOAN will surely over this! The faithful should increase your contributions to The Prophet as this is a test from God!

You're completely insane, people have to take responsibility for their actions, you're a disgrace to your religion, TBJ has now become your God, you're idolisind a mere mortal, you're going against everything that's written in the Bible.

Judging by your comment, I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of TBJs lap dogs
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by 14(m): 1:37am On Sep 20, 2014
84, damn, thats a lot of people. When last did SA loss more than 80 people in one day, I remember the sharpville massacre in 1967. I feel sorry for the family of those who have been killed.

why it seems there were only South Africans in that building, we are not hearing about other nationals and Nigerians.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Memyselfu2009(m): 3:53am On Sep 20, 2014
priscaoge:

may be i should put it simple for u Jesus christ perform so may miracle heal d sick feed 5000 people make blind see does who can walk he made them walk also lazacrus died for 3day nd he brought back lazarus back to life y cant T B Joshua raise those who died hope u understand now
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by morpheus24: 4:46am On Sep 20, 2014
Centrifude:
You're completely insane, people have to take responsibility for their actions, you're a disgrace to your religion, TBJ has now become your God, you're idolisind a mere mortal, you're going against everything that's written in the Bible.
Judging by your comment, I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of TBJs lap dogs

You are wasting your time arguing with a religious Nigerian Zombie, just think about beating your head against a stole wall. You just gonna bleed.

Leave these Zombies be, they keep looking for a savior to come solve their problems when God has given them all they need already.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by onitshaigbo(m): 5:50am On Sep 20, 2014
delishpot:

And you are 100% sure his messages come from God?
Abegi, if found guilty, he should be locked down. Let God decide whom he will punish. No one including TB joshua can force or make God punish anyone.
Ha ha. So If one doubts a so called prophet that you believe in, it means one doubts God? So it means Jesus christ himself was wrong when he said we should not be quick to believe anyone who comes preaching in his name? Was he wrong when he said in the last days many false prophets will arise and cause many to sin and thus we should beware? So I must believe every man who calls himself prophet just to prove my belief in God?
Abegi, if the man guilty sharp sharp for jail no two ways abourit. Plus all his followers that are helping hide his guilt if need be join am.

I am as sure of Prophet TB Joshua as I'm sure of Jesus. The Prophet has cured HIV/AIDS, cancer, blindness, and has brought thousands if not millions of faithful out of poverty through miracles. If he was not of God, than how can these miracles occur?

If TB Joshua is jailed, then it is religious persecution, and all of Lagos will be made to suffer from God's retribution.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by onitshaigbo(m): 5:51am On Sep 20, 2014
Centrifude:

Why do you have so much hate against a prophet of God? Prophet TB Joshua has performed so many miracles that his status as a chosen prophet of God is undeniable.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 5:53am On Sep 20, 2014
So so sad. embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Las Vegas Concert Shooting: Death Toll Rises To 50, More Than 200 Injured - Pics / Ecuador Declares State Of Emergency As Narcotics Gang Leader Escapes From Prison / Heat Wave: Fire Errupts In Upminster, London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.