Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,325 members, 7,819,111 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

How Do You Define African? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Do You Define African? (722 Views)

SAD: 3 Pictures That Will Define The Fall Of The Naira In This Era / Nine Ministers Who Will Define Buhari’s Presidency (photos) / It Is Difficult To Define Corruption, Most Youths are Unemployable-Rotimi Amechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Define African? by freeafrica365: 6:56pm On Sep 17, 2014
What do you consider as an African?

Is it simply being born on our continent?

Explain your thoughts, curious: what determines your Africanness, so to speak?

BACKGROUND: This lady put the following on my facebook page (she claims that she got this from somewhere else in England); she knows I always talk about the definition of African

Again..
An African from Zimbabwe defined African as follows:

Re: How do you define the term African?
The only people I consider African are:
- Those who were born in an African country and have African family members and know which ethnic group they're from and follow some customs.
- Those born outside of Africa but have African family and know which ethnic group they're from and follow some customs.

For example: my cousins were born in England but to Zimbabwean parents, they consider themselves Zimbabwean first before British and eat Zimbabwean food and understand our language.

I don't consider Caribbeans or Afro Americans African though.

Even though I live in England I am African, it would be a joke for me to call myself European so why is it okay the for the other way round (white people).

(1) (Reply)

Chinese Consortium To Build 1,000MW Coal Power Plant In Enugu Nigeria / Photos From Desmond Eliots Political Campaign Rally In Surulere / $15m Arms Deal: Kwakwanso Blasts Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.