Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles (21948 Views)

35% Levy On Tokunbo Vehicles Begins July 1 / Reps Endorse Tariff Increase On Imported Cars / Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Eldavido1: 9:58pm On Sep 17, 2014
As part of its determination to encourage newly licensed automotive brands that aim to build assembly plants in Nigeria, the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) has commenced the full implementation of the Federal Government automotive policy.
The automotive policy, allows for an importer to pay 35 percent duty and 35 percent levy on imported vehicles and Customs has started the collection of 35 percent levy on imported new vehicles, which was originally scheduled to commence in January 2015 after the implementation of 35 percent duty was flagged-off in July this year.
Also, the implementation of the new vehicle tariff is part of the Federal Government’s new national automotive policy which aims to discourage importation of vehicles in favour of local assembly plants.
BusinessDay investigation confirmed that the Customs’ management on Tuesday, September 16 directed the commands located at the Tin-Can Island port, which handles the nation’s roll-in and roll-out terminals, to commence the full implementation of the automotive policy.
Confirming this development, Chris Osunkwo, public relation officer of Tin-Can Island port command, told our correspondent that the Federal Government deemed it fit to direct that the 35 percent levy be implemented strictly on only imported new vehicles.
This, he said, was geared towards encouraging the automakers to come and invest in Nigeria, thereby creating an enabling environment for their finished products not to face stiff competition with the imported new cars.
According to Osunkwo, the 35 percent levy does not apply to imported used vehicles usually referred to as ‘tokunbo’ cars, which, according to the Federal Government may commence in January 2015.
Steve Okonma, public relations officer of the PTML Customs command, who confirmed that the command has also begun the implementation, said that it only applies on brand new vehicles and not used vehicles.
Reacting to the development, the chapter chairman of the Association of Nigerian Licensed Customs Agents (ANLCA), Bola Adeniran, said the agents were taken aback when they got to work to see that the 35 percent level had been inputed into the Customs system.
Adeniran said the implementation of the 35 percent levy was scheduled to take off in January 2015 but was hurriedly implemented by the Customs high command without consulting or informing them.
He said, “Agents are not satisfied with the 35 percent levy that was hurriedly implemented because the government said it will start by January but it was a surprise when we all came to work this morning to see that the Customs has already started implementing it. We were not informed and we believe that stakeholders should be duly informed before the commencement of such.”
AMAKA ANAGOR

businessdayonline.com/2014/09/nigeria-begins-implementation-of-35-levy-on-imported-new-vehicles/
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by linnyx: 10:21pm On Sep 17, 2014
As long as it doesn't affect tokunbos then no problems...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 11:12pm On Sep 17, 2014
A good one there from GEJ, our economy mUst grow by fire by force

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by benosky(m): 11:24pm On Sep 17, 2014
i know dis policy will b implimented earlier dan d stipulated time cos of d money involve. Nija.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Eldavido1: 4:09am On Sep 18, 2014
linnyx: As long as it doesn't affect tokunbos then no problems...

In fact, tokunbo cars are the main target of the policy.

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by justi4jesu(f): 6:39am On Sep 18, 2014
eliment: A good one there from GEJ, our economy mUst grow by fire by force

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by alaladakosta(f): 6:39am On Sep 18, 2014
I pity nigerians under GEJ rule.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by datguru: 6:40am On Sep 18, 2014
is good sha but they should have waited until i imported one first before the implementation. I no trust this made in naija grin. They said it does not apply to tukumbo, them no know say na tukumbo nigerians like pass

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by englishmart(m): 6:40am On Sep 18, 2014
Why kwanu?

Why now of all times.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Kayraph(m): 6:41am On Sep 18, 2014
Now they want to take car ownership beyond the masses most especially the non-existent middle class.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by butterflex: 6:41am On Sep 18, 2014
Make dem make brand at home affordable then wahala nor go dey.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by alaladakosta(f): 6:41am On Sep 18, 2014
eliment: A good one there from GEJ, our economy mUst grow by fire by force

Ok, I see. The fire is what he went to purchase with the 9.3million dollars.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by searay(m): 6:42am On Sep 18, 2014
MODIFIED:
No idea about the subject matter
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by lumzybo: 6:43am On Sep 18, 2014

Na turn by turn. Others coming soon. Watch out!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by zicoraads: 6:43am On Sep 18, 2014
Chai! I pity pple bringng in Tokunbo cars. The duties at the border is already outrageous as it is.

Kudos to the government tho, this is a very, very good one. This will create massive jobs for the teeming unemployed youths.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sammieguze(m): 6:43am On Sep 18, 2014
Bad news for car dealers
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by CLEARINGAGENT: 6:45am On Sep 18, 2014
LIKE SERIUOSLY
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by chidibond(m): 6:46am On Sep 18, 2014
Ahh, that's serious. Just when I tot I was gonna beat it!
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by gift01: 6:48am On Sep 18, 2014
Cotonou boyz be smiling #moneydoncome

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta: I'm happy for nigerians under GEJ rule.
CORRECTED

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 6:49am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta: I pity nigerians under GEJ rule.
Pity for yourself too. As you are Nigerian as the people under GEJ, ruled by GEJ.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by zicoraads: 6:51am On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta: I pity nigerians under GEJ rule.
Pity yourself, not Nigerians. Some of you have lost all sanity in the process of criticism, not minding how dumb you sometimes sound when trying too hard to be of relevance.

Do you even have any idea how many jobs this will create? Do you? Just check how many jobs the auto industry in South Africa creates. Car manufacturing plants, asSembly plants, spare parts and so on.

It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubtsm

26 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by bist: 6:58am On Sep 18, 2014

#word# .. #gbam#
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 18, 2014
What are they going to do with the levies collected? Embezzle it?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by wilyparker(m): 7:03am On Sep 18, 2014
hmm... na wa o
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by rozey247(m): 7:03am On Sep 18, 2014

Read the post wel. It says the policy may be implemented on used cars(tokumbo) come january 2015.
Poor man no go dey see good car to drive again. Nah only inocent arbi nah inoson sef dem dey cal'am. We dnt even knw if d inocent is gonna be affordable to the lower class by then.
God we dey ur hand!!!
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by alaladakosta(f): 7:10am On Sep 18, 2014
zicoraads: Pity yourself, not Nigerians. Some of you have lost all sanity in the process of criticism, not minding how dumb you sometimes sound when trying too hard to be of relevance.

Do you even have any idea how many jobs this will create? Do you? Just check how many jobs the auto industry in South Africa creates. Car manufacturing plants, asSembly plants, spare parts and so on.

It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubtsm

So he needs to implements the 35% levy to create jobs for Nigerians, see how smart u are, the licensed coy, let them start assembling, if the quality n price is ok, trust me Nigerians will gladly do away with the imported ones. But for now why hike the price of the accepted one. I wouldn't even mind if their Will be proper accountability with increase tariff.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience / Children's Hospital Unveils Mini-cars For Patients To Ride To Surgery / Innoson Motors Reacts To IGP Filing N2.4bn Shipping Fraud Against Innoson Motors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.