Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles (21953 Views)

35% Levy On Tokunbo Vehicles Begins July 1 / Reps Endorse Tariff Increase On Imported Cars / Tariff On Imported Tokunbo Cars Raised (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by miqos02(m): 11:51am On Sep 18, 2014
ok
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by singhabhishek25: 11:51am On Sep 18, 2014
I do not think that this fare, but every government has responsibility to work their citizen's favor.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by bootstrap(m): 11:59am On Sep 18, 2014
WHY POLICIES FAIL IN NIGERIA

Any successful policy is like making a pot of soup. All ingredients must be added at the right time and at the right proportion. Which is where policy makers in nigeria get it all wrong.

Why no locally assembly plants are in Nigeria has little to do with only the duties on the imported cars. The other ingredients are not just right.

Power supply
Condusive environment
Corrupt govt officials
And of course. . The low tarrif on the imported cars.

Increasing just the tariff without the other ingredients wld amount to the policy failing on the long run. Its just akin to getting maggi and expecting a delicacy. Heck, we dnt even hv the fire and/or pot, removing tariff is like just having the maggi even befor the pot and fire.

Smtimes I just cnt help but wonder how critical our policy makers are

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Yomite22(m): 12:08pm On Sep 18, 2014
sammieguze: Bad news for car dealers
And prospective car owners

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by texazzpete(m): 12:10pm On Sep 18, 2014
cuteboy2:

This is FALSE!!!! Have you read the New Automative Policy?
Go and read the statement by the PRO of Tin Can Port Command of Nigerian Customs Services embedded in the article in your original post. I extract it for you below in case you don't have the patience to read your entire post.

It is sad that people will copy and post news clips from online media, and yet either are too lazy to read what they have posted, or maliciously twist it to fit their ill-conceived intent. This policy and its implementation has been severally discussed in many posts on NL, and people have been sufficiently educated. Don't start this falsehood all over again.

So your entire point is this policy does not apply to Tokunbo vehicles right now, but will apply in 4 months time?
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 18, 2014
cry cry

Why na?
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by kaysparks(m): 1:19pm On Sep 18, 2014
Its a welcome development. At first we will suffer it but later we shall enjoy it and all those ricketty dumped used cars that many people bring into Naija will stop and we shall enjoy a new ara of affordable brandnew cars again
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by chuckdee4(m): 1:20pm On Sep 18, 2014
t2luv1:

Going by Nigeria history . What does your gut feeling tells you?.

nuff said bro
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 18, 2014
onyi osi, onyi beribe! thief! this isnt for niaja sake, dont be mistaken oooo. uhn!!!!
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by mt77: 1:54pm On Sep 18, 2014
I hope it does not affect Tokunbo vehicles? So what is the duty payable on Tokunbo cars? sometimes they tend to confuse people with policy reversal as I read early this year that it was for tokunbo vehicles also.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 18, 2014
zicoraads: Pity yourself, not Nigerians. Some of you have lost all sanity in the process of criticism, not minding how dumb you sometimes sound when trying too hard to be of relevance.

Do you even have any idea how many jobs this will create? Do you? Just check how many jobs the auto industry in South Africa creates. Car manufacturing plants, asSembly plants, spare parts and so on.

It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubtsm

Please spare us the lies, what stupid job, the truth is this policy will hit the middle class earners hard, the implication is prices of both brand new cars and tokunbo cars increase drastically. now buying a new corolla which was 3.5m some 3 yrs back is now 6m, all cos of this stupid tax. Even the government (ministers, senator and executives)introducing the policy i dont see them driving the so called made in Naija car.
We have policy implementors who dont think always assuming, they undermine certain factors assuming all Nigerians can cope with the drags. The cost of producing anything in the country is high, due to the absence of the required amenties like power, materials used for production. compared to the countries where these car are being made. Also country stability also very cruticial in attracting investors especially when it comes to investing (sighting manufacturing plant), with all these recent happenenings like bokoharmA, kidnapping , bomb explosions here and there, political instability, ebola etc. no sane foreign business man or company will be willing to risk investing alot in such a nation. Findout if you have friends that work for mulitnational, they will tell u Nigeria is a high risk zone. Travleling into naiaja requires some form clearance. dont get me worng they have asset here but on a small scale. Even the so called telecoms sector are nw outsourcing most of their staff and services. Am certain 99 percent of all the parts used a manufacture the so called made in Naija cars, will be brought from oversees. what will be done here will be assembling. they may employ some few labourers and engineers (at best 3000) nation wide. Compare that to about 30 million nigerians who will be impacted.

I feel the approach is very wrong, people shd analyze policies properly before blindly supporting them. What FGN cld have done is to give the so call naija company(local vehicle manufacturers) some form of waivers and duty free importation or a reduced company income tax. Let them come in, produce cars and employ. Then the government can gradually begin to ease of importation, introduce tax for imported cars. the policy is another means of generating revenue for the Government which to me is unfair on the average working class. why must the citizens always bear the burden, cant they think?

I have nt gainned any signifcant benefit from the privitisation of nepa, or partial removal of subsidy although i knw it remove alot of burden from the Government.
I Personally i see it as a wrong move at the wrong time. but that just me. I know i sound negative but I only speak from experience and the many failed policies

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by morefire: 4:45pm On Sep 18, 2014
linnyx: As long as it doesn't affect tokunbos then no problems...

haba dont you get... now a baby boy that was supposed to be say 700k will now be 1.2 million
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by amynoacid(m): 6:25pm On Sep 18, 2014
Trying to justify same policy for tokunko's vehicles. Bad rubbish.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by ccaramel(f): 7:04pm On Sep 18, 2014
Wrong. Bad news for imported car buyers.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sonnie10: 7:09pm On Sep 18, 2014
On the customs website, there is provision for importation of semi Completely Knocked Down (CKD) vehicles. The total duty/levy on semi-CKD is about 20%. I would assume that any smart importer would bring the vehicle in as semi- CKD. All it would take is to employ people who would put the parts together; considering that labor is cheap in Nigeria, this definitely would be more cost effective.

In a layman term, importing semi-CKD means you ship only body, and the mechanical/electrical components are packed and shipped separately.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by kipesco(m): 8:27pm On Sep 18, 2014

Like serious I will love Toyota , Range Rover, Nissan n others to have their branches in Nigeria.
This will increase economic growth n diversity rather than them coming here to pack millions of naira away.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Israel5(m): 8:31pm On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta: I pity nigerians under GEJ rule.
nigerians pity you too!
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sheffyUTD(m): 8:59pm On Sep 18, 2014
sonnie10: On the customs website, there is provision for importation of semi Completely Knocked Down (CKD) vehicles. The total duty/levy on semi-CKD is about 20%. I would assume that any smart importer would bring the vehicle in as semi- CKD. All it would take is to employ people who would put the parts together; considering that labor is cheap in Nigeria, this definitely would be more cost effective.

In a layman term, importing semi-CKD means you ship only body, and the mechanical/electrical components are packed and shipped separately.

Quip.

There are two categories: Completely Knocked Down (CKD) and Semi Knock Down (SKD)
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by niceeric(m): 9:16pm On Sep 18, 2014
alaladakosta:

Ok, I see. The fire is what he went to purchase with the 9.3million dollars.
hmmm.......food for thought...
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sonnie10: 9:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
sheffyUTD:

Quip.

There are two categories: Completely Knocked Down (CKD) and Semi Knock Down (SKD)

but the CKDs' would require more technical coupling, which at the end of the day would not be cost effective.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by femmy2010(m): 9:23pm On Sep 18, 2014
sonnie10: On the customs website, there is provision for importation of semi Completely Knocked Down (CKD) vehicles. The total duty/levy on semi-CKD is about 20%. I would assume that any smart importer would bring the vehicle in as semi- CKD. All it would take is to employ people who would put the parts together; considering that labor is cheap in Nigeria, this definitely would be more cost effective.

Easier said than done.
Would you break down your 2007 Camry and allow your road side mechanic and technician re-assemble it in Nigeria for you?
Or you want to tell us to take it to Innoson factory to get it assembled?
20% tariff/Levy you stated still takes the clearing cost of the Broken down 2007 Camry to around N400k so my bruva I still see no good in it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sheffyUTD(m): 9:28pm On Sep 18, 2014
sonnie10:

but the CKDs' would require more technical coupling, which at the end of the day would not be cost effective.

Yeah.

It's designed for assembling plants with those stuff in place, not individual dealers. Plants with no such things will have to upgrade and train their employees, that is where the manpower and technology development aspect come in.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sultaan(m): 9:33pm On Sep 18, 2014
Can anyone help explain what a new car is in naija context because it is possible to buy a used 2015 model year car abroad.

A new car comes with title from manufacturer whole a used one comes from dealer is has a history of previous owner. Once you finished transaction on a car document will be sent with information on who the owner is and you get the title later. If you bring the car back after one minute it is used that is why they say a car depreciates by $5000 once you drive it off the lot so legally it is used.

Nigeria has a law different from a civil society anyway
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sonnie10: 9:34pm On Sep 18, 2014
femmy2010:

Easier said than done.
Would break down your 2007 Camry and allow your road side mechanic and technician re-assemble it in Nigeria for you?
Or you want to tell us to take it to Innoson factory to get it assembled?

In as much as we are all aware that anything goes in Nija, I believe that any thing that is worth doing is worth doing right. You do not have to own a plant as big as Innoson to do this. Any certified auto mechanic, given the right equipment and tools would be able to mount an engine/ transmission and suspension. Same goes for the electrical aspect. What else is a car made up of? This is not the job for engineers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sonnie10: 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2014
sultaan: Can anyone help explain what a new car is in naija context because it is possible to buy a used 2015 model year car abroad.

A new car comes with title from manufacturer whole a used one comes from dealer is has a history of previous owner. Once you finished transaction on a car document will be sent with information on who the owner is and you get the title later. If you bring the car back after one minute it is used that is why they say a car depreciates by $5000 once you drive it off the lot so legally it is used.

Nigeria has a law different from a civil society anyway

People maybe able to use that loophole for now. That is why they intend to extend this to used vehicles by next year.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by sonnie10: 9:55pm On Sep 18, 2014
sheffyUTD:

Yeah.

It's designed for assembling plants with those stuff in place, not individual dealers. Plants with no such things will have to upgrade and train their employees, that is where the manpower and technology development aspect come in.

Are there policies in place to set standards as to what defines an assembling plant in Nija? Any dealer in Nija can register an "auto workshop" as a separate business, in the name of an assembling plant. I don't think CAC would reject the application.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Pat47ak: 10:55pm On Sep 18, 2014
35 levy has jst created room for more corruption.Agents will rather pay of customs then pay d 35% srry to say.only God knws wen dat planet implention will start.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by Nobody: 11:51pm On Sep 18, 2014
I think some of those accursed Nissan Micra are imported with their roofs cut off to bypass some custom regulations.

They then weld the roofs back on.
Re: Nigeria Begins Implementation Of 35% Levy On Imported New Vehicles by adconline(m): 12:34am On Sep 19, 2014
Most Naija folks don't get it. This has increased the cost of utility vehicles like trucks, buses, minivans and pick ups by 200%, this applies to both new and used.So cost of moving goods, people and services is going up.

Also, the cost of clearing construction and heavy equipment has gone up by almost 200%; this applies to used and new. Cost of executing project is going high.. Business owners are always going to pass on the costs to consumers as usual.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Children's Hospital Unveils Mini-cars For Patients To Ride To Surgery / Innoson Motors Reacts To IGP Filing N2.4bn Shipping Fraud Against Innoson Motors / See This BMW Futuristic Motorcycle That Belongs To Blade Runner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.