Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms (13217 Views)

Fuel Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Threaten Strike Action From Tomorrow / Fuel Scarcity Looms Over Delayed Subsidy Payments / Another Indian Disaster Looms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by etunoman76(m): 8:33pm On Sep 18, 2014
The on-going strike by members of the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers and the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria could result in nationwide power outage as major power stations have suffered gas cut off.

Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, confirmed this in Abuja on Thursday while speaking on the effect of the workers’ action on gas supply to the power plants according to a statement issued by his Special Assistant on Media, Kande Daniel.

Nebo observed that the actions taken by members of NUPENG and PENGASSAN in the course of their on-going strike have cut off gas supply to major power stations including Egbin, AES, Olorunsogo, Geregu and Sapele.

NUPENG and PENGASSAN had on Tuesday embarked on a strike action because of the cancellation of the closed pension system for the workers by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation.

The unions also claimed that the management of the NNPC had also refused to fund contributions to the scheme, which they said remained the workers’ legacy pension plan.

Nebo called on workers to call off the industrial action.

He regretted the adverse effect of the strike on power supply at a time he claimed the government had recorded substantial progress in solving the gas problem, thereby raising peak generation in recent weeks to an average of 4,500, with a spinning reserve of about 300 MW.

According to him, reports from across the country had indicated noticeable improvement in the quantity and quality of power supply to homes and businesses.

He, therefore, decried the current setback arising from the oil and gas workers’ action, curtailing supply of gas to power stations, and reducing power generation.

This has inevitably led to a drastic reduction in power supply across the country, he added.

The minister assured that efforts were on to ensure a speedy and amicable resolution of the matter, and appealed for the understanding of electricity consumers affected by the development.

While appreciating the concerns and fears of the workers, Nebo appealed to members of NUPENG and PENGASSAN to take into consideration, the enormous damaging socio-economic effect of their action on the nation, and return to work.

Nebo who also inspected Apo substation where a weather-induced explosion occurred during the week, assessed the extent of damage, and was assured by the Transmission Commission of Nigeria engineers that efforts were on to restore supply to parts of Abuja affected by the incident.

He further assured that results of government’s efforts to effect a significant improvement in power supply would become even more evident in the coming weeks.

The minister emphasised that the cause of fire that gutted the facility was nature-induced from lightening sparks.

He dismissed the insinuation that the accident could have been by attack or sabotage.

http://www.punchng.com/news/workers-cut-gas-supply-to-egbin-geregu-darkness-looms/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by stripper: 4:41am On Sep 19, 2014
Sad.who is sabotaging who undecided

3 Likes

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by alentyno: 4:42am On Sep 19, 2014
Yh we get it NMA went on strike now its time for NUPENG & CO to embark on theirs not to mention how ASUU has been seriously looking for away to run their own madness just that they resorted to increasing school fees of their respective unis even NUT is secretly banking on ebola
Even gamma rays can't break the bond btw national bodies and 'strike' in this country smh
These strikes they are sharing.............

6 Likes

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by butterflex: 4:43am On Sep 19, 2014
Naija which way.where we dey go for this country....
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by Blackchampion(m): 4:43am On Sep 19, 2014
And now strike has become d only way to express grief in Nigeria's organization abi? Smh 4ma country
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by justi4jesu(f): 4:43am On Sep 19, 2014
>: why is that. ??
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by hajikebs(m): 4:44am On Sep 19, 2014
God will see us tru
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by Nobody: 4:45am On Sep 19, 2014
KK
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by paul288yahoo(m): 4:46am On Sep 19, 2014
.......disequilibrium...,
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by zonax(m): 4:46am On Sep 19, 2014
We are at it again
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by Nobody: 4:46am On Sep 19, 2014
K
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by Eldavido1: 4:46am On Sep 19, 2014
okk o...Another round of blackout. Soon we will hear that APC is responsible!

8 Likes

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by gbaskiboy: 4:46am On Sep 19, 2014
No wahala
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by constance500: 4:47am On Sep 19, 2014
This one is strong lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by femmy2010(m): 4:49am On Sep 19, 2014
We have always been in darkness in my area even before this "formal Looming darkness".
No shaking as long as fuel dey to power our generator.

4 Likes

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by chigozisky01(f): 4:51am On Sep 19, 2014
i predicteded this since last week dats y i stucked up Two drums of petrol time for serious business.
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by kultimate009: 4:55am On Sep 19, 2014
Where was the power when they weren't even striking abi what is this one(Minister for Power) saying

1 Like

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by Nobody: 4:59am On Sep 19, 2014
[size=19pt]NO WONDER WE HAVENT HAD LIGHT IN 4 DAYS FOR IKEJA[/size]

im a music producer, follow me and i follow back for sure

5 Likes

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by Naofficial: 5:18am On Sep 19, 2014
Ah! Ah! Why are some Nigerians like this??
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by begwong: 5:19am On Sep 19, 2014
The funniest thing is that,innocent and loyal customers would be forcred to pay for the darkness they "enjoyed" by the most currupt nepa.
#3weeks_now_in_darkness!

1 Like

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by aieromon(m): 5:20am On Sep 19, 2014
This should be the reason why there has been no light since Monday. Thank God I don't need light to breathe.

5 Likes

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by begwong: 5:20am On Sep 19, 2014
The funniest thing is that,innocent and loyal customers would be forcred to pay for the darkness they "enjoyed" by the currupt nepa officials.
#3weeks_now_in_darkness!

5 Likes

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by 01mcfadden(m): 5:30am On Sep 19, 2014
Wikedness.
Bad leaders even followers won't stop to amaze me!
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by kevoh(m): 5:35am On Sep 19, 2014
etunoman76:
Nebo who also inspected Apo substation where a weather-induced explosion occurred during the week, assessed the extent of damage, and was assured by the Transmission Commission of Nigeria engineers that efforts were on to restore supply to parts of Abuja affected by the incident.

Makes Sense! Now I know why I have not had light for over 3 days now!
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by olahero(m): 5:55am On Sep 19, 2014
And some nuisance said GEJ till 2019, no way for him. #GEJdDrunkard

1 Like

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by Nobody: 5:57am On Sep 19, 2014
Before nko! If not APC , who is? grin

Eldavido1: okk o...Another round of blackout. Soon we will hear that APC is responsible!
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by Nobody: 5:59am On Sep 19, 2014
mtcheeeeeeww

1 Like

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by OmoNwa: 6:02am On Sep 19, 2014
Me, I don't want to go back to darkness again after the recent improvement with PHCN... they should plz do the needful
Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by Afrocatalyst: 6:02am On Sep 19, 2014
This is serious o. Am even feeling it here. First time I didnt get up to 8hrs of power supply in my home, in like three years.

On a second thought, this is plain evidence that poverty still looms in the minds of most Nigerians. I know people who are truly rich,even in their minds, hardly fight for union, salary raise or social welfare package for workers.

I know some people wil go on and attack me but it only goes to buttress the point further that most minds in this country currently do not know they've been programmed by schemes such as these to think,act and work as slaves.

The 'truly rich' don't have the time for such. There's a lot of things to do, a lot of creative work going on that they hardly think about that. In the first place,they dnt even get into such systems designed to operate under such principles.

Some people are determined to pull others down if they can't find a way to the top!
And it's bad for a nation if those people are more!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by nationwide24: 6:08am On Sep 19, 2014
How many people have caustically lambasted the striking oil workers or call for their heads in spite of the effects of the strike on the people as was done during doctors' strike? Is it selective justice or just that some animals are more equal than others?

2 Likes

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by eddyland: 6:12am On Sep 19, 2014
which one again is darkness looms? Darkness has always bin dier na in Naija, so y making it as if light has bin looming. Nt suprise, same old stories. And d big question stil remains, wil Nigeria ever get it right in power supply b4 d world ends?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Workers Cut Gas Supply To Egbin, Geregu, Darkness Looms by kcpumping(m): 6:14am On Sep 19, 2014
Why oh why...there are real agent of destruction in this country,why is it now we suddenly started to enjoy light that pengashit and nutpeng decided to strike? Why haven't they gone on strike befor now? Same thing happened when nnaji met almost above 4500mw that the clamor for his sack came up?come to think of it why are we so stupid from this part of the world? Tribe,religion and even political party has finished us all. I mean can't we support good thing irrespective of where it is coming from? What is really wrong with Us all?arrant nonsense.......pls Nigerians must wake up cos it seems we are not just sleeping but snoring like heavy odes.abegi

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Things To Improve On This New Year, 2019 / What Do You Regret Not Doing In 2018 And Your Goals For 2019? / Construction Companies And Rainmakers: Facts Or Fictions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.