Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,645 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them (254714 Views)

The Difference Between An Alligator And A Crocodile / It's I'm And Not Am / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by valarinz: 9:46am On Jun 10, 2016
castrokins:
This Post Traveled Two Years To Get To FP. Seun Una Try O...I Imagine The Post Would've Originated From FP Were It On Anita Joseph, Cossy, Etc, Flaunting Drab Boobs

Nairaland mods have little or no interest on educative or informative threads, I opened a similar thread a while back

https://www.nairaland.com/2678150/why-nigerians-replaced-word-im

and as usual it wasn't given due recognition like the boobs topic you just mentioned

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Ravenna: 9:52am On Jun 10, 2016
Uncleodi:

Perfect answer!
u should be Buhari's English tutor.
wch buhari? The deaf one?!
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Emaprince: 9:57am On Jun 10, 2016
babs123:

It is wrong to use 'Am' to start a sentence.

Ploy:
'am' is just an auxiliary verb that can't start a sentence.

'Am' I not right by telling you that you are both wrong?
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Elisojonugwa: 10:41am On Jun 10, 2016
NB
I'm is used in writing an informal letter and must not be used in a formal letter.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Corperadams: 10:41am On Jun 10, 2016
Dafkelvin222:
They're two diff words...''am'' is for questioning and i'm is for intro...e.g i'm muhammadu buhari,the chief jukeeter,,am i a dullard?
hahhaahah nigerians are always nigerians. Funny guys.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Corperadams: 10:46am On Jun 10, 2016
kossyablaze:
He Don deaf na
hahahah nigerians. I dey talk am b4, dis man no dey hear word, now una done see?
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by BABANGBALI: 10:57am On Jun 10, 2016
I'm is lalasticlala while I am is seun
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by justt: 12:41pm On Jun 10, 2016
Aviero:
Anytime I see an educated person use "am" in the place of "I'm/I am", I get so discouraged. Many lecturers are guilty of this.

As insignificant as they think it is, it's very important in the establishment of sustainable growth and development. (NTA News, Vision 20:20:20)

But it's quite impossible to differentiate between the two in spoken English.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Olayinka777(m): 1:45pm On Jun 10, 2016
[quote author=Ploy post=26461545]'I'm' is the contraction of 'I am'. While 'am' is a primary auxiliary verb 'to be' like: is, are, was, were, am, be, being, and been.
These auxiliary verbs could be used as helping verbs e.g.
I am eating
she is reading
They are also used as linking verbs e.g. I am a teacher

The difference between I'm and am is: I'm is the first person singular pronoun I and auxiliary verb am while 'am' is just an auxiliary verb that can't start a sentence. Hence, it's wrong to write: Am with you my yoriyori instead write I'm with you my yoriyori. [/quote Good one op I don't make that mistake in my writings & chat since I know what it means. Another one I have heard from people repeatedly even our television & radio presenters are not left out is the usage of "me & "I" at the same time. Example: Me I don't know o, etc.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by 0ubenji(m): 2:46pm On Jun 10, 2016
"I'm" - ( I am ) consists of a subject pronoun 'I' and an auxillary verb "am"
"Am" is simply an auxillary verb

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by obaao(m): 2:59pm On Jun 10, 2016
babs123:
I'm means I am.
It is wrong to use 'Am' to start a sentence.
So it is wrong to say : Am happy you came
You should rather say: I am happy you came.
Or you say I'm happy you came.

you are very correct. you don't use am to start a sentence. people mistake I'm to Am because they sound the same. You can't use Am without I preceding it except when asking a question.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jun 11, 2016
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Addicted2Women: 5:54pm On Jun 11, 2016
SnowJay92:

Bn trying to contact you, use BBM?

Yea.
Give me your pin
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 11, 2016
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Addicted2Women: 6:43pm On Jun 11, 2016
SnowJay92:

Alright, add up

5C34F110

Who are you. ??
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jun 11, 2016
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by mark1703official(m): 12:32pm On Jun 12, 2016
youngest85:
7 crates of orijin 4 u

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A.B.U Zaria 2014/2015 Admission Thread / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / The Polytechnic, Ibadan 2012/2013 Admissions. ND/HND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.