Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,054 members, 7,810,939 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones (3257 Views)

Non-Academic Staff Lock Entrances To UNICAL, Flog CSO / Non-academic Students On The Rise In Nigerian Universities- NTA / First Class In The University: Is It Hard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 08, 2014
herald9:

Lemme grab ma pen and jotter sur' cheesy

Oh yea am on......

#Tapping pen on d desk restlessly

Here the basic ones about different life segments that I personally found really helpful.

On Life:
Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die by John Izzo

On Money and Personal Finance:
Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

On Inspiration:
Chicken Soup for the Soul by Jack Canfield

On Relationships:
Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by
Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

On Self Realisation:
Why You Act The Way You Do by Tim LaHaye

On Education:
The Power of Focus for College Students

On Religion:
The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

...... More to come
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by herald9: 2:19pm On Oct 08, 2014
Xcapist:

Here the basic ones about different life segments that I personally found really helpful.

On Life:
Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die by John Izzo

On Money and Personal Finance:
Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

On Inspiration:
Chicken Soup for the Soul by Jack Canfield

On Relationships:
Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by
Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

On Self Realisation:
Why You Act The Way You Do by Tim LaHaye

On Education:
The Power of Focus for College Students

On Religion:
The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

...... More to come
I've got MEN ARE FROM MARS WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS

THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE and WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO

but I didn't open them...
will do justice to them and grab others too....

Can you just gimme a few that deals on philosophy?

Thankssmiley
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 08, 2014
herald9:

I've got MEN ARE FROM MARS WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS

THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE and WHY YOU ACT THE WAY YOU DO

but I didn't open them...
will do justice to them and grab others too....

Can you just gimme a few that deals on philosophy?

Thankssmiley

Which branch of philosophy precisely?
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by herald9: 7:11pm On Oct 08, 2014
Xcapist:

Which branch of philosophy precisely?
Sorry... I've been terribly busy recently...

Am interested in epistemology... As I can decipher a person's e-mood by studying the way he interacts and can even use that to build a mental picture of the person and know how he might behave in real life...

I need something that can increase my accuracy to almost 90%

Are you wellversed in this area?
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 08, 2014
herald9:

Sorry... I've been terribly busy recently...

Am interested in epistemology... As I can decipher a person's e-mood by studying the way he interacts and can even use that to build a mental picture of the person and know how he might behave in real life...

I need something that can increase my accuracy to almost 90%

Are you wellversed in this area?

No sir. I am not. But I'm curious, can you paint me a mental picture of how you think my character in real is?
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by herald9: 8:30pm On Oct 08, 2014
Xcapist:

No sir. I am not. But I'm curious, can you paint me a mental picture of how you think my character in real is?
grin

Can only do that with those have interact with or if I've been following your posts...cheesy
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Nobody: 8:42pm On Oct 08, 2014
herald9:

grin

Can only do that with those have interact with or if I've been following your posts...cheesy

Ohh. Super!
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 2:14pm On Oct 12, 2014
herald9:

grin

since u've been following me, tell me my own then
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by herald9: 4:40pm On Oct 12, 2014
AfricanApple:
since u've been following me, tell me my own then
Since you've called my attention, my searchlight will be on you now
cheesy
Cause I wasn't really paying much attention before

But I think you're always too straightforward for my little charms to work on you...

You hardly show any emotion on this forum and i think some of those Smileys you use during interaction don't really portray how you feel...

Sometimes I wonder whether you even laugh for longgrin

Don't worry... am gonna do some more homework on you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Fulaman198(m): 5:13pm On Oct 12, 2014
Unless you have a keen interest in a specific subject area, you may find reading academic books boring (gaske!!). Reading a normal book is usually out of self-interest. It's like with me and tech articles, I would rather read a scientific or technological article over say a text book on Certified Ethical hacking. Though I do find the latter interesting, there are certain aspects of "ethical" hacking I don't know about that I may find boring.
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 10:59am On Oct 15, 2014
herald9:

Since you've called my attention, my searchlight will be on you now
cheesy
Cause I wasn't really paying much attention before

But I think you're always too straightforward for my little charms to work on you...

You hardly show any emotion on this forum and i think some of those Smileys you use during interaction don't really portray how you feel...

Sometimes I wonder whether you even laugh for longgrin

Don't worry... am gonna do some more homework on you.

*sneezes*
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by herald9: 11:11am On Oct 15, 2014
AfricanApple:
*sneezes*

#offers her handkie #

Is that all you can do? embarassed
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 25, 2014
Realtony76:

Bro, if you do not have anything to say why not keep quiet ....
Personally, the only novel i attempted reading was 'mine boY' by peter abraham... I prefer using the word attempted because i didn't finished it... My point here is that not everyone prefers an entertaining book to an informative book.... and for the records it all boils down to orientation....
you are a demented fool
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by DJMONACO(m): 9:06am On Oct 25, 2014
A hall is 15m long and 12m broad.If the sum
of the areas of the floor and the ceiling is
equal to the sum of areas of the four walls,
the volume of hall is?
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by Realtony76(m): 11:17pm On Oct 25, 2014
WarRLaY:
you are a demented fool
anyone could be afforded the opportunity to comment... But for it to be reasonable is never a guarantee
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 9:13am On Oct 26, 2014
WarRLaY:
you are a demented fool
haba bros, demented fool for wetin na
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 9:14am On Oct 26, 2014
DJMONACO:
A hall is 15m long and 12m broad.If the sum
of the areas of the floor and the ceiling is
equal to the sum of areas of the four walls,
the volume of hall is?
what!
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by KingTom(m): 9:26am On Oct 26, 2014
hod898:
First of all Op, the topic should be 'most people'

Secondly, enter a good university to study an engineering or a medical course go de read novel, when you get a CPGA of 1.3, you will know that it is students below tertiary level that read novels instead of academic books.
grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by kristein(m): 12:41am On Dec 05, 2014
Matthewbriggs:

I would rather watch a movie than read fiction... Time is very precious especial time I allocate to read... Reading something that is not real, a product of someones imagination is not an attractive prospect for me. I would rather spend that time reading something that is concrete and based on reality.

I hardly read for entertainment value but for educational value. I just think we are all wired differently some like fiction some don't.
1000likes for u bro. xpecially ur statement"a product of someones imagination is not an attractive prospect for me"..
how will reasonable creative literate b more focussed on fiction dt is written by an ordinary individual lyk me? ..I dnt find it attractive too,becoz i knw we share d same mentality and medulla(the author and I)..sm thin i can sit down nd write mysef..why d hell wil i b stressin ma sef on stories made by anoda individual juz lyk me..I prefer smthin educative,creative and moral nd nt juz entertainment..
my man..it seems we shared d same mentality..kudos!

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 5:10pm On Dec 09, 2014
kristein:

1000likes for u bro. xpecially ur statement"a product of someones imagination is not an attractive prospect for me"..
how will reasonable creative literate b more focussed on fiction dt is written by an ordinary individual lyk me? ..I dnt find it attractive too,becoz i knw we share d same mentality and medulla(the author and I)..sm thin i can sit down nd write mysef..why d hell wil i b stressin ma sef on stories made by anoda individual juz lyk me..I prefer smthin educative,creative and moral nd nt juz entertainment..
my man..it seems we shared d same mentality..kudos!
hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Why Do People Find It Hard To Read Academic Books Than Non-academic Ones by AfricanApple(f): 12:58am On Dec 11, 2014
adamsross88z:

cumbersomeness difference
how

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bermuda Triangle "Mystery" Solved? / Mother Show Up At Her Daughter’s Graduation Dressed In Her ‘Own’ Graduation Gown / Update On Uniben Student Who Bragged About Malpractice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.