Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,261 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Use Of Passwords: Trust Or Privacy? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Use Of Passwords: Trust Or Privacy? (658 Views)

Men Abandon City Girls, Rush For IDP Singles In Maiduguri- Daily Trust / Understanding My Husbands Privacy Needs / Do Married Women Need Privacy From Their Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Use Of Passwords: Trust Or Privacy? by NifemiOlu(m): 3:03pm On Sep 20, 2014
Should secrets be kept from a loved one? Or is it a matter of privacy? Here is what an expert has got to say:

“First of all, let me explain the difference between privacy and secrecy.  Privacy is about defining healthy boundaries.  For example, there is a part of a marriage/ relationship that only the couple share.  It might be their financial information, sexual life, or other sensitive matters.  It doesn’t belong to either partner, but rather, to the couple.  The couple keep that part of their relationship private by establishing boundaries around it.
On the other hand, secrecy is about guarding information you would never want anyone else to know.  A secret isn’t something you typically share with other people, especially those close to you.  Secrets carry tremendous energy and require constant efforts to keep them guarded.   Secrets also carry shame.
This distinction is important because a marriage should have no secrets.  When a couple commits in marriage to become one, they agree to live a life of openness and transparency.  Secrets create walls and kill intimacy.
Marriage should be a secure base where both people know that the other person will be accessible and responsive.  When there is a block with accessibility and responsiveness it creates insecurity and mistrust.
Marriage/relationship feels the safest when there is full transparency available to each partner.  True intimacy is built on a shared trust and respect that requires vulnerability.”- Geoff Steurer

From another perspective, some people argue that there’s no privacy in this modern age…people use Facebook to stalk you, Picasa to see your pictures, FourSquare for your location and some mobile tracking devices for your locations. A man asked if I could install an app on his wife’s phone. The app will send updates to his own phone whenever she receives a call or an email. The app will also send him pictures from his wife’s phone including her phone contacts…that’s the crazy world we live in.
Despite all these technologies at our disposal, the issue remains a major problem for many relationships. When a man has password that is unknown to his wife or fiancée, it sends a stroke of distrust. I mean what sort of life should a man or woman live that should be exclusive? Except for health workers like doctors who may feel the desire to protect delicate information about their clients, keeping password to your phone or tab may pose a great trust issue even if we pretend it’s not there. Personally, I would recommend that if you’re in a ‘passage relationship’ or a relationship that’s obviously leading nowhere, you would put yourself at risk by exposing your deepest secrets.
There’s a thin line between secrecy and privacy. For those who strongly desire to request to know their partner’s password to emails, Facebook, tabs… You also need to look at your own reasons for wanting to check his/her phone.  Have there been suspicious behaviours that need to be discussed?  If so, talk about those concerns and work to understand the truth behind the observations.
We should NEVER create an avenue of doubt in the mind of our partner.

What's your take?
Re: Use Of Passwords: Trust Or Privacy? by GodsDivinefavor(f): 3:04pm On Sep 20, 2014
I use password cos of ny kids though hubby can unlock my fone.
Re: Use Of Passwords: Trust Or Privacy? by vizkiz: 3:08pm On Sep 20, 2014
uhmmmn...i don't have anything to say, just here to read comments smiley not married yet tongue
Re: Use Of Passwords: Trust Or Privacy? by NifemiOlu(m): 4:10pm On Sep 20, 2014
GodsDivinefavor: I use password cos of ny kids though hubby can unlock my fone.

Yes, my fiancee and I have passwords to our devices and we both know the passwords.
Re: Use Of Passwords: Trust Or Privacy? by phabulous88(m): 6:46pm On Sep 20, 2014
It's always advisable to lock your phone for security and privacy. Married folks however should know their spouse's password and ATM PIN grin
Re: Use Of Passwords: Trust Or Privacy? by Quirekoon: 8:50pm On Dec 01, 2020
Privacy.

(1) (Reply)

Visiting Prison And Orphanage Home On Your Kids Birthday..good/bad..???? / Can Sickle Cell Be Considered As Abiku In The Days Of Our Fore Fathers. / Learn Simple Steps On Staying Focus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.