Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Mutual Funds - Investment (283) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Mutual Funds (959844 Views)

Top 10 Mutual Fund Managers In Nigeria / Mutual Funds In Nigeria: Please Share Your Experience / Best Nigerian Mutual Funds To Invest In? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) ... (321) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mutual Funds by seyisanya(m): 8:36pm On Dec 31, 2022
sgtponzihater1:
Any one kind enough to share their personal experience with stock based mutual fund or partly stock based fund? Thanks

I don't have a personal experience but I know a few individuals that have invested in such funds in the past. I would suggest that you don't do it because interest rate can swiftly go from positive to negative and vice-versa depending on the activities in the market vis-à-vis the economic outlook.

In my opinion, it is more rewarding to directly participate in the stock market provided that you have some understanding and knowledge of how the market works. However, if you are risk averse and not ready to invest time to gain some understanding about the stock market then your best bet is to invest in money market funds.

4 Likes

Re: Mutual Funds by sgtponzihater1(m): 11:00pm On Dec 31, 2022
seyisanya:

I don't have a personal experience but I know a few individuals that have invested in such funds in the past. I would suggest that you don't do it because interest rate can swiftly go from positive to negative and vice-versa depending on the activities in the market vis-à-vis the economic outlook.

In my opinion, it is more rewarding to directly participate in the stock market provided that you have some understanding and knowledge of how the market works. However, if you are risk averse and not ready to invest time to gain some understanding about the stock market then your best bet is to invest in money market funds.

Thanks alot. MMF always gave me the conservative return I expected over time, but hoping to test the waters now
Re: Mutual Funds by freeman67: 9:10am On Jan 01, 2023
sgtponzihater1:
Any one kind enough to share their personal experience with stock based mutual fund or partly stock based fund? Thanks

I have not done any that is completely stock based or have only stock as its underlying asset but I have done about 2 that has a mix of stock. ( Stanbic IBTC Guaranteed Investment Fund and United Capital Balanced Fund). I can tell you for free that it's not funny with them. At the early stage when I subscribed to both, all were looking fine till the stock market had a hit. It's not funny at all. To be sincere with you, in both cases I ran out of patience and exit with losses.

That's why presently I will only do MMF, Fixed Income or Bond Fund, Sukuk or Islamic/Shari'a Fund and Dollar/Eurobond Fund.

The small issues with the Fixed Income/Bond Fund I observed from personal experience is that it takes longer time to redeem funds from them than MMF.

Then the Dollar/Eurobond Fund too take longer time. Also, now it's very hard to invest in even if you have your dollar with you. Except maybe there are asset managers who will sell the dollar to you at their own rate then go ahead and credit your account ( I am not sure about the existence of this, but I think I have heard people discussing about it though.)

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:31am On Jan 01, 2023
freeman67:

I have not done any that is completely stock based or have only stock as its underlying asset but I have done about 2 that has a mix of stock. ( Stanbic IBTC Guaranteed Investment Fund and United Capital Balanced Fund). I can tell you for free that it's not funny with them. At the early stage when I subscribed to both, all were looking fine till the stock market had a hit. It's not funny at all. To be sincere with you, in both cases I ran out of patience and exit with losses.

That's why presently I will only do MMF, Fixed Income or Bond Fund, Sukuk or Islamic/Shari'a Fund and Dollar/Eurobond Fund.

The small issues with the Fixed Income/Bond Fund I observed from personal experience is that it takes longer time to redeem funds from them than MMF.

Then the Dollar/Eurobond Fund too take longer time. Also, now it's very hard to invest in even if you have your dollar with you. Except maybe there are asset managers who will sell the dollar to you at their own rate then go ahead and credit your account ( I am not sure about the existence of this, but I think I have heard people discussing about it though.)

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's really painful losing rather than gaining from an investment. How long did you stay invested for in those fund? Could waiting longer have made things different?

For now most of my mutual fund cash is in MMF and 2022 was not too bad.
Re: Mutual Funds by adedayo77: 11:19am On Jan 01, 2023
A huge interest was added to my fund yesterday tagged interest terminated as at - 31/12/22, but after 2 to 3 hours it was removed from my fund capital. I invested in Stanbic IBTC MMF.
I was really excited when I saw it.
I don't know you also noticed that?

sgtponzihater1:

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's really painful losing rather than gaining from an investment. How long did you stay invested for in those fund? Could waiting longer have made things different?

Re: Mutual Funds by sgtponzihater1(m): 11:33am On Jan 01, 2023
adedayo77:
A huge interest was added to my fund yesterday tagged interest terminated as at - 31/12/22, but after 2 to 3 hours it was removed from my fund capital. I invested in Stanbic IBTC MMF.

I think that how much interest you accrued the whole year. If you check your current returns it has gone back to zero, but if you check history you'll see "interest terminated at"
Re: Mutual Funds by freeman67: 11:49am On Jan 01, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

Not very long it's for just about 3 months for Stanbic GIF before I remove most of my fund and redirected it to MMF. I still have about a 100k left there sha. For Ucap Balanced Fund it was about after a month and half or so. I only have 1k in my left there now. I had to move everything to Fixed Income/Bond Fund.

I actually could not wait to find out because the loss seem rapid. Stock market do bounces back so I am sure whenever it does Mutual Fund will stock asset will also improve too.
Re: Mutual Funds by adedayo77: 11:56am On Jan 01, 2023
Exactly what is there. Which means they mistakenly added it to my fund capital.

sgtponzihater1:

I think that how much interest you accrued the whole year. If you check your current returns it has gone back to zero, but if you check history you'll see "interest terminated at"

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by benedictuyi(m): 12:44pm On Jan 01, 2023
adedayo77:

Lol, I noticed it as well.
Re: Mutual Funds by netzro(m): 1:04pm On Jan 03, 2023
benedictuyi:

Lol, I noticed it as well.
When I checked mine it was same and I saw a reinvest button.

Are we to take any action
Re: Mutual Funds by benedictuyi(m): 4:46am On Jan 04, 2023
netzro:

Depends on if you have 'interest reinvested automatically' set to true when opening the account
Re: Mutual Funds by Plus10(m): 7:59am On Jan 04, 2023
I also noticed it too,only for the interest to vanish this morning when I checked it grin
Re: Mutual Funds by Plus10(m): 8:00am On Jan 04, 2023
netzro:

Same with me too,I just left it like that.
Re: Mutual Funds by netzro(m): 9:20am On Jan 04, 2023
benedictuyi:

Depends on if you have 'interest reinvested automatically' set to true when opening the account
Thanks,mine was set to automatic
Re: Mutual Funds by Apitch(m): 6:23pm On Jan 04, 2023
Stanbic IBTC MMF is yet to show any interest since the 28th of December. Is the holidays still on?
Re: Mutual Funds by Blinkingbae: 8:58pm On Jan 04, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

Thanks alot. MMF always gave me the conservative return I expected over time, but hoping to test the waters now
you can as well invest with my company.
Re: Mutual Funds by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:06pm On Jan 04, 2023
Blinkingbae:
you can as well invest with my company.

What's the name of your mutual fund company so I can check them up. Thanks
Re: Mutual Funds by Blinkingbae: 9:16pm On Jan 04, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

What's the name of your mutual fund company so I can check them up. Thanks
Efinance and here is our website Www.efinanceng.com, u can check it out.
Re: Mutual Funds by benedictuyi(m): 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2023
Apitch:
Stanbic IBTC MMF is yet to show any interest since the 28th of December. Is the holidays still on?
Same here.
Although I got a mail that my interest will be automatically reinvested
Re: Mutual Funds by Apitch(m): 10:06am On Jan 05, 2023
benedictuyi:

Same here.
Although I got a mail that my interest will be automatically reinvested

Thanks, I just checked my mail and saw it was sent yesterday and the interest has also been reinvested.

2 Likes

Re: Mutual Funds by alezzy13: 10:10am On Jan 05, 2023
Interesting discussion. For me I noticed the interest I was paid was far higher than the dashboard( ie the daily interest usually displayed). In fact almost 30% higher

Anyone else observed this? I use ARM by the way
Re: Mutual Funds by alezzy13: 10:13am On Jan 05, 2023
Just to add they doing very well at moment, almost 18%!! Likely the best

Ps, not advertising for them oo. Still do you diligence
Re: Mutual Funds by Amex2018: 2:39pm On Jan 05, 2023
Hi,
can you please share more details on this investment? I have interest

alezzy13:

Re: Mutual Funds by Wapgod(m): 11:21pm On Jan 05, 2023
alezzy13:

What's returning 18%?
Re: Mutual Funds by aameyah(f): 7:13pm On Jan 06, 2023
I am yet to get my interest payment from IBTC MMF. They usually pay me every quarter, but I'm yet to get the one for December ending. Do I send them a mail?
Re: Mutual Funds by Deensham: 6:59am On Jan 07, 2023
aameyah:
I am yet to get my interest payment from IBTC MMF. They usually pay me every quarter, but I'm yet to get the one for December ending. Do I send them a mail?

Exercise a little patience, the new year just began.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mutual Funds by aameyah(f): 5:34pm On Jan 07, 2023
Deensham:

Exercise a little patience, the new year just began.

okay, thank you...
Re: Mutual Funds by prestige2013: 8:34am On Jan 09, 2023
Any mmf with double digit returns.
Re: Mutual Funds by emmasoft(m): 12:07pm On Jan 09, 2023
prestige2013:

sure! chat me up
Re: Mutual Funds by TheBTCinvestor: 6:47pm On Jan 09, 2023
emmasoft:

sure! chat me up

Say it here so others will learn..shior

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by ernie4life(m): 8:01pm On Jan 09, 2023
prestige2013:

Almost all MMF are at double digits right now, from ARM, AFRINVEST, GTCO Etc

1 Like

Re: Mutual Funds by prestige2013: 11:10am On Jan 10, 2023
ernie4life:

Almost all MMF are at double digits right now, from ARM, AFRINVEST, GTCO Etc

Stanbic?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) ... (321) (Reply)

MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread / Treasury Bills In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.