Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,812 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? (22171 Views)

Photo: Could This Be The Reason Why Students Of Mathematics Fail Exams? / Schools Debate: Science Courses So Special Compare To Arts Course? / The Secret Of Mathematics Exposed Using Casio Fx-991ms Calculator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by mytym(m): 10:39am On Sep 22, 2014
mikron: maths is very i repeat very important in every course of study dont ask me how.
pls tell them.

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 22, 2014
Elusive9: Maths is boring.. No use undecided
for you its boring,for me,i enjoy it....thnking ideas becomes fast.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by SUGARSON(m): 10:46am On Sep 22, 2014
kobonaire: Basic Math skills is a must, Otherwise the individual may sell his art for 100,000 kobos and be thinking he's rich - not that there's anything wrong in being a kobonaire wink

HAHAHAHA... U BAD GAN!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by eleojo23: 10:46am On Sep 22, 2014
richol: Jnr secondary school
Generally speaking
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by ALGAMISH: 10:47am On Sep 22, 2014
Art students do undertake a research just like other students. Data presentation and analysis requires the use of some basics in maths and statistics hence the need. There are othe areas too that it can be applied in arts
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by SUGARSON(m): 10:53am On Sep 22, 2014
dcaliph: We all need maths to excel. Even if you are an art student, knowing maths would make you better than your peers who don‘t know it. Drawings are usually in proportions and also deals with angles, thats why mathematicians like leonaldo dan vinci excelled in art.

If you are a lawyer you need maths to collect and process data. If the case has to do with finance, a lawyer that is good in maths can use simple percentages to decieve the other one who hates maths.

Also there is personal finance, one need to be able to prepare his budget, if one is abe to put his monthly expenditure in a pie chat and compare it with previous months, he would be better able to manage his finance than one who do not know the proportion of his income he spends in recharge card.

Everybody needs maths, those who say they do not need maths, if they are sincere, would remember the many times they would have been able to solve a problem if they had known maths. And the embarassment of calling a small child to help them do simple calculations. The more maths you know, the more productive you would be.

THE PROBLEM WITH NIGERIA EDUCATION SYSTEM IS THAT WE WERE NOT TAUGTH HOW TO APPLY MATHS IN OUR LIVES, WE WERE JUST TAUGHT HOW TO SOLVE MATHS.

GBAM! FURTHER WORDS IS UNNECESSARY.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by mytym(m): 10:57am On Sep 22, 2014
Orikinla: There is no art without geometry and symmetry.
And you need mathematics to understand geometry and symmetry.
I have done paintings based on equations and one of the greatest artists of all time, Leonardo Da Vinci was a mathematician and his immense knowledge of mathematics made him a genius in fine arts.

Drawings and paintings are done with dimensions.

My own artworks even include science and medicine.
I studied the HIV for my oil on canvas painting on the Metamorphosis of the HIV in the T-Cell and doing it required mathematics as well.
The painting is now in the private collection of FHI of U.S.

Picasso's Solidism is a fantastic display of mathematics.
@Octave, D7 is ok for others but for philosophy i think a Credit pass should be required.
Octaves: It's crucial in many aspects of life but people who want to study core arts courses like history, philosophy, religion, etc may be allowed with a D7 in maths

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 22, 2014
Mathematics is important to anybody not minding ur vocation or what you choose to do in life.
Why? Think of it. In your everyday life you reason, think and converse primarily in two forms of natural languages: verbal and arithmetic!
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Mondayok: 11:05am On Sep 22, 2014
Mathematics is vital in all ramification because no one can do without number.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by richol(m): 11:11am On Sep 22, 2014
When we say 'art' we dont mean we dont mean only visual art........maths is a very good subject but for we art students it should be more pratical cos we need it everyday not only solv!ng for 'x' but been able to derive a mean!ng not leav!ng !t as raw as it !s.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 11:13am On Sep 22, 2014
Olodo...did u loook at d equation u just put down!na una type dey date teacher for sch!
Maths neeed imagination..x and y represents real variables and are used to stand for unknown quantities..if u had put '2x - 3y equal 60', it might mean that 2times hw many biros. - 3times hw many pencils will leave me a change of 60naira

Princesschi: I'm impatiently waiting for d day wen people would start using '2x-3y = y' in real life.

Whoever invented maths...hmm no comment sha

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by adconline(m): 11:34am On Sep 22, 2014
Cos everything revolves around numbers=math. Your account balance on ur balance sheet, ATM, phone.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Contumely: 11:40am On Sep 22, 2014
djeezy: Nice question. My hatred for maths propelled me to be an art student and subsequently law . I thought my mathematics nightmare days were over until I started doing it as a law student in the uni. I was so devastated and we kept asking ourselves why maths? When we got to the bridge we still crossed it.
Which uni made u study maths as a law student?
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by bundur(m): 11:40am On Sep 22, 2014
For the purpose of logic
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by K08(m): 11:45am On Sep 22, 2014
I strongly believe Music has a lot to do with Mathematics. Without the knowledge of Mathematics, it would be very difficult to read and play music notes.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by blacko(m): 11:51am On Sep 22, 2014
Instead of the government to.introduce subjects like current affairs,history,drama(for theatre art students) and racial and ethical studies because I see no use subjects like maths and biology should be compulsory for them, mathematics should be replaced with economics
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Hero10001: 11:51am On Sep 22, 2014
Mathematics is Life!
It's is paramount, it's the best thing humans can learn.
You want wisdom? Learn Mathematics.
It projects you into the mind of the gods cos numbers don't lie.
No Successful beings/ Billionaires can go far without Mathematics. I love number esp betting odds like1.5, 2.05... e.g, ManU, Everton & Tottenham to slip @306.05! That's a lotta kwacha.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by sammoe(m): 11:54am On Sep 22, 2014
eleojo23: Maths is important for critical thinking.

It exercises the brain and sharpen your thinking skills.
It helps us recognise patterns and to understand the world around us.

The knowledge of maths produces numeracy just as the knowledge of languages (English language for instance) produces literacy.

Here are some examples of what I
mean by numeracy:
(a) Being able to critically assess statistics.
(b) Being able to manage family/personal budgets , purchases and business transactions.
(c) Being able to estimate – in all kinds of situations, e.g. journey speed, time and distance, roughly how much a bill will be or your expected bank balance at the end of the month...

Well put. In fact, I clapped for you. OP maths is necessary.

Was in the Arts in Secondary school and though maths wasn't my fav subject, I understood its importance and performed averagely and sometimes above average (when I was "serious" with it grin).

You see, the thing with seemingly irrelevant subjects is that they help you develop certain skills that'll help you later on, especially in your chosen field. Moreover, most disciplines meet at some point.
E.g ●You can't do anything without the power of expression i.e language.
● The knowledge of mathematics, analytical skills and an attention to detail is key to the study of syntax, linguistics and some other "art" courses.
● People such as scientists and engineers with a background in (or who did well in) literature or fine arts usually do better. They're more likely to think "out of the box". they're the ones who'd usually 'invent' something.

■■■Bottom line: No scrapping of maths as a requirement for admission. Before you know it, it'll go the way of history as a subject in schools. We're already paying for that.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Acecube(m): 12:08pm On Sep 22, 2014
Orikinla: Mathematics is necessary in every aspect of life, including the Art of Seduction and Sex.
The mapping of the geography of romantic landscape of searching for the right person to date and marry and the measurements of sex organs and orga-sms and family planning.
YABA LEFT..... NEXT
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 22, 2014
Maths is important. Whatever career you choose, you will need to apply your knowledge in maths.

I remember the way my breathing increased when I wanted to check my WAEC result.
God! My heart was pumping faster than normal, all because of maths result. As an art/social science student, I was pretty much confident about other subjects.
Then I saw C3 and I started laughing.

And just when i thought I had escaped maths/calculation in secondary school, am stuck with macro-economics.

Nothing more frustrating than drawing, erasing and re-drawing a graph.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Germeeu: 12:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
Contumely:
did u have anybdy presently or graduated from law school.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by djeezy(m): 12:20pm On Sep 22, 2014
Contumely:
Maths in Accounts. Binary in Programming. etc
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by olooto1(m): 12:25pm On Sep 22, 2014
Iamsynord: Most students in Art class are generally not good in maths but they are forced to pass it after all..
I know of a Particular boy that had to rewrite waec 6 times just because of Maths despite having As and Bus in the other subjects..
This bring the question of whether mathematics is as important to arts students as it is to other class and that it should be scrapped from d core subjects that one must get at least C ,in our SSCE exams since Arts mainly as to do with talk ,writing and reading instead of the confusing algorithm, phytagoras, bodmas and solving evident in Mathematics..
What is your own view of this
both literacy and numeracy are inevitable subjects at olevel. Dis is bcaus dia is no way u wil not deal wt calculation in a day no matter hw little likewise d readin/writing as an educated person, so all dis basic maths ar wht helps to do dem correctly. Imagine hw it wil look if u have neva come across maths from ur day 1 till A level. No one brought maths brain from heaven
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by katerine7(f): 12:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
Great dy/dx
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by logoscope(m): 12:47pm On Sep 22, 2014
A basic knowledge of math is still necessary. It helps develop ya metal amplitude.
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by 0955eb027(m): 12:47pm On Sep 22, 2014
lebesgue: I have nothing intelligent to add to this discussion. I'd like to apologize for taking up this space.
TaaAaar! Who u dey deceive? How did u come abt dat name lebesgue if u have nothing intelligent to add? Al dis scholars ehn
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by ximarro(m): 12:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
djeezy: Nice question. My hatred for maths propelled me to be an art student and subsequently law. I thought my mathematics nightmare days were over until I started doing it as a law student in the uni. I was so devastated and we kept asking ourselves why maths? When we got to the bridge we still crossed it.
what level in the university did u encounter maths as a law student?
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by haconjy(m): 1:08pm On Sep 22, 2014
eleojo23: Maths is important for critical thinking.

It exercises the brain and sharpen your thinking skills.
It helps us recognise patterns and to understand the world around us.

The knowledge of maths produces numeracy just as the knowledge of languages (English language for instance) produces literacy.

Here are some examples of what I
mean by numeracy:
(a) Being able to critically assess statistics.
(b) Being able to manage family/personal budgets , purchases and business transactions.
(c) Being able to estimate – in all kinds of situations, e.g. journey speed, time and distance, roughly how much a bill will be or your expected bank balance at the end of the month...

you speak my mind
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by Contumely: 1:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
Germeeu: did u have anybdy presently or graduated from law school.
yea, graduated from...
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by MicroBox: 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
Mathis is a language we speak and use everyday , So why the ache.....
If 2X+10=16
Find the value of X
@OP that equation is just a simple language
Abeg Mathis is nothing but day-day language
@OP if consumption per day of my Diesel engine is 52ltrs
How many liters do I need to run my engine for 30days...??
Re: What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? by tpia1: 1:33pm On Sep 22, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FUNAAB Students Beat A Thief Who Stole Tecno Phone (Photo) / I Finally Had An Extra Year / Olamide Samuel, The First African PhD Holder In National Security At 25 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.