Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,683 members, 7,809,584 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

I Finally Had An Extra Year - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Finally Had An Extra Year (22145 Views)

I Finally Signed Out At 42 / I Now Have An Extra Year. So Sad. / Ministry Of Education Considering Adding An Extra Year To University Studies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Finally Had An Extra Year by BathingSoap: 8:04pm On Oct 27, 2019
Few months ago, i created a thread on front page on how i have lost interest in school and education because of my poor academic performance

https://www.nairaland.com/5253585/help....i-lost-interest-school-pls

Today i just found out that i failed two of my final year papers, thus giving me an extra year, i didn't know at first but as my mom kept pestering me to apply for law school, i had to check the list my school forwarded to Abuja, Garki, for those eligible to apply for law school, and discovered my name was not included.

I was discombobulated because i already made good the due process involved in the application prior to this day, i was advised by colleagues to check my result and lo and behold i failed 2 courses in my second semester yr 5.

I have failed my parents, especially my mom who invested a lot in my schooling, i might not be able to go back to the school for the extra year, i don't even know how to tell my parents, or what to do next, if i had known i would never have attended the uni, rather would have learnt a skill or focused on freelancing but i guess its all too late now.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by essy4060: 8:31pm On Oct 27, 2019
Too late? Never! Failure never detetmines the end rather it determines courageousness. Show me a successful person, and I will tell you the numbers of hard nut he cracked. Please, I would advise read about late Bar. Gani; his history will inspire you.
BathingSoap:
Few months ago, i created a thread on front page on how i have lost interest in school and education because of my poor academic performance

Today i just found out that i failed two of my final year papers, thus giving me an extra year, i didn't know at first but as my mom kept pestering me to apply for law school, i had to check the list my school forwarded to Abuja, Garki, for those eligible to apply for law school, and discovered my name was not included.

I was discombobulated because i already made good the due process involved in the application prior to this day, i was advised by colleagues to check my result and lo and behold i failed 2 courses in my second semester yr 5.

I have failed my parents, especially my mom who invested a lot in my schooling, i might not be able to go back to the school for the extra year, i don't even know how to tell my parents, or what to do next, if i had known i would never have attended the uni, rather would have learnt a skill or focused on freelancing but i guess its all too late now.

Lalasticlala

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by DOMINO001: 8:35pm On Oct 27, 2019
I don't know your school but in my school, failing a course or spilling over is not a big deal, esp in law and also my department and others. Just pick yourself up and write those courses.

46 Likes

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by abiolert(m): 8:38pm On Oct 27, 2019
Guy pick yourself up, having a spill over or extension in school is not the end of your academic career,

24 Likes

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by Divay22(f): 9:12pm On Oct 27, 2019
But why is life like this self sad
Me am tired o cry cry

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by Lamasta(m): 9:47pm On Oct 27, 2019
Go and write the courses spilled over and don't call yourself a failure its just a temporary setback that you can overcome

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by generationz(f): 10:11pm On Oct 27, 2019
Divay22:
But why is life like this self sad
Me am tired o cry cry

Lol na you fail exam?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by Divay22(f): 10:14pm On Oct 27, 2019
generationz:

Lol na you fail exam?
Lol. I get my own for body abeg grin

42 Likes

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by BathingSoap: 10:22pm On Oct 27, 2019
Cc lalasticlala help

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by generationz(f): 10:30pm On Oct 27, 2019
BathingSoap:

Lalasticlala

Sorry about your misfortune.

Truth is we can't all be winners in everything we put our hands to. Sometimes, its not juju and village people. It's just life. It's just a part. It's just a lesson learnt and looking forward to better days.

You failed at uni now, some people lost all their savings in a bad business. Some people lost their multimillion naira company that they have worked for for years to build. Some lost their jobs with kids to feed.

I want to tell you that even if it seems like your world is crashing all around you your academic failure is not up to a quarter of what these people have faced.

Why? Because school is the best place for trial and error. School is the best place to learn the tenets of hard work. School is the best place to find yourself, whether through several successes or failures.

You are still getting pocket money. Yo
Live under your parents roof. Etc.

I always laugh at students who don't plan ahead in school. They only have option A which is their degree. Especially in Nigeria where Jobs are so few.

My dear, the real world is brutal and if you cant pick yourself up from the ground now, how will you deal with life when it hits you?

I'll advice if getting a good degree is important to you

1 You either transfer to an easier department and start from 200 level again.
2. Go back next year and write your carry over.

I'm sure you are one of those students who likes to do things alone. Maybe you should seek help from the smart kids in your class or a friendly lecturer. No man or woman is an island.

I feel the highest your parents can do is scream at you and remind you of your failure. You'll have to brace up for the tough times ahead.

Now, is the time to work harder than your mates at your freelancing job so that by the time they are done with law school you'll have probably bought your car and living on your own.

There is nothing God and you cant so if you put your mind to it.

Also, as you work at your job, start thinking of plan B and C.

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by hidhrhis(m): 10:30pm On Oct 27, 2019
you have an extra year what's the big deal your friends are out of the uni and u will be going for another year forget about them just bcoz ur name isn't in the list of names forwarded to law school this year doesn't mean u won't make it next year just focus and try to concentrate and u will be their next year
I was once like u I despise school more than anything but now Im a 2nd class upper graduate....i do spend like 5hours reading page 1 of my course material but yet I made it
you are not the first and won't be the last to have an extra year just buckle up bro and focus just bcoz ur name isn't on the list of graduating student doesn't mean they will make it before u
have another view of life from theirs, see things differently and may God lead u bro
Never give up stand up to ur challenges
take it as a competition
I've got problem that almost made me drop out of school and use all my school fees to start a business and when I make it I will just tell them at home I dropped out but instead I pushed on at least if I fail I will know I've tried my best but the bold step I took to keep going made me a graduate
we all have challenges rise up to yours think about your life and make ur decision remember it either Mar or make u

9 Likes

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by Depressed101: 10:49pm On Oct 27, 2019
BROS I NOMINATE YOU TO GO BACK AND COME OUT VICTORIOUS... THAT DEVIL DEY LIE.. YOU MUST GEY THAY DEGREE....

Oya find one chilled goldberg Sidon one corner take quench your taste... Goodluck... Time nor dey...

10 Likes

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:49pm On Oct 27, 2019
Oh no.
Take heart.
You will definitely rise again.
Just dust yourself and keep moving on.
All the very best for the future.

WINNERS DON'T QUIT!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by MountainView: 10:49pm On Oct 27, 2019
Let me tell you the truth I've discovered on my own about life
Your certification doesn't have any known correlation or relationship with how far one would go in life, it is not a determinant of what one can achieve in this life, not in any way, it has been proven countless times.

It's your desire and will that would determine how successful you would become.

where there is a will, there is a way

Now back to your story, you have to get that certificate!

Finish what you've started, else you just wasted your time and that of your mom and her money, which if you ask me is lack of empathy, put yourself in her shoes, you know how exactly she will feel.

Let me share my story with you, which is somehow similar to yours

I gained admission, around 2016 to study Physics, which was my passion then (in fact I wanted to be a Professor of Physics...Lol grin), I thought i had achieved it all, I thought that was what I really wanted in life.

all of a sudden I lost passion for Physics, I thought it was normal, that I was just confused, but no, I realized that wasn't my purpose in life.

I found my purpose was to become an Entrepreneur and not a Physicist, I fell in Love with Programming/Entrepreneurship, but that didn't stop me from making sure I finished what I started.

Right now I'm in my finals as a Physics student, I have my own Tech Startup, this my new found desire didn't stop me from finishing what I already started, which is coming out with a degree.

in fact, I'll be coming out with both a degree and a new Skill.

Immediately after university education, I'll simply dump my certificate and pursue my new found love.

isn't that wonderful??

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by ursullalinda(f): 10:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
Failure is only a postponed success.... if only we know the power in failure , you will sit down 're evaluate urself and bounce back. This is the best time to discover the inner strength in you....As for your family, you can prove them wrong by being successful.... Just thank God for everything dust yourself and keep moving....No time to check time!

5 Likes

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by Opistorincos(m): 10:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
it is not the end of the world. You need to pick up yourself and get out of this mess.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by lyriclekidd(m): 10:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
Kill yourself then
Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by Premiumwriter: 10:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
Op

Why don't you take a day off. Sit down and think about your life and what you want to do with it?

Life is easy now because your parents are still fending for you. A time will come when you'll need to stand by yourself.

3 Likes

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 10:50pm On Oct 27, 2019
na by force say everybody must go school?
why not go learn handwork?
u know say u get olodo brain yet u still go school go waste your papa money and to make matters worse u go dey do fine boy dey look for girls for campus up and dan.
now see as you've become a failure in life?
u better take sniper and end it before it's too late.
Mr failure cool
Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by dalhjana: 10:51pm On Oct 27, 2019
You finally had an extra year.. Then congratulations. Abi what else?

1 Like

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by DeriNwamamatene: 10:51pm On Oct 27, 2019
[s]
post=83518295:
Oh no.
Take heart.
You will definitely rise again.
Just dust yourself and keep moving on.
All the very best for the future.

WINNERS DON'T QUIT!
[/s]
shatap
we know

5 Likes

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by Ategberoson(m): 10:51pm On Oct 27, 2019
oops

your negative vibes later succeeded on your academic prowess. even in your write up, you're not taking responsibility for your nonchalant academic life

you hate your mom, you couldn't put her in consideration with your pessimistic view on education with your alternative mindset of learning skills/trading. so how do you think you will succeed in that skills/trade? if you've little setback in trade/skills you will still found yourself in this scenario

I'm not writing for you to feel depressed but please take responsibility for your nonchalant attitudes, taking responsibility will make you to sit tight on what next. not taking responsibility for this your predicament might lead you beyond what you might be unable to handle

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:51pm On Oct 27, 2019
DeriNwamamatene:

shatap
we know
Hello kiddo.
We are happyto give a once Lazy youth, The Chairman of Nairaland council Cancelling Association.

You will get your salary at the end of the month if you make another 700 cancellation before the month ends.
Thumbs up to the Lazy youth now gainfully employed by Yours Truly! grin cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by SincereBigot: 10:52pm On Oct 27, 2019
D
Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by Goldenheart(m): 10:52pm On Oct 27, 2019
I lost a friend today... cry

I'm sure he would rather have an extra year than dying...

You still have life to try again but my friend doesn't have that opportunity ...

Dear op

If you don't like the hand that fate dealth you,
Stop bitching about it and fight for a new one...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by grandstar(m): 10:52pm On Oct 27, 2019
BathingSoap:

Bros, what would you do if you swam the English Channel and you've covered 80% of the way and you become tired, will you turn back?

Well, that is what you now want to do. I am not exactly in your shoes but I too had an extra year. You have no choice but to let your mother know.

The good thing is that in your extra year, you have the privilege of choosing easy borrowed courses. Your workload also won't be much so you can focus hard on the few courses you have especially the ones you failed.

Why don't you use your weekends to learn a trade or skill? One day, it can prove very useful to you.

Never give up. You may meet up with your mates and even outdust them. I read estate management. Probably the first classmate in my set to make N5m as commission in an estate transaction was a guy that had 2 extra years. I know another guy who 2 extra years as well who made 2.7m in a deal. I've not made up to 2m in a single transaction cry cry cry cry cry grin grin grin grin

Law is even a better course than estate. Many of you even double as estate agents. My friend, please finish. I want to chop jollof at your graduation

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by Nobody: 10:53pm On Oct 27, 2019
Practising as a Lawyer without knowing some people or the right connection; you will struggle like it's an hobby angry

That's where I am right now.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by DaddyMorenike: 10:53pm On Oct 27, 2019
Glory be to God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Finally Had An Extra Year by EkperemoEgbabi: 10:53pm On Oct 27, 2019
BathingSoap:

Congratulations. Idiiiot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Importance Of Mathematics To Arts Students ??? / David Oyedepo Foundation Scholarship Programme 2015/2016 Registration Begins / Official JAMB Registration Date For 2019 UTME Form Announced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.