Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. (2465 Views)

Fayose Leads Special Prayers With Various Men Of God - Photos / Check Out Edifices Of The Various State Houses Of Assembly. / The Best Democratic President Nigeria Has Ever Had (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:34pm On Sep 22, 2014
Pidgin is a type of language that started being spoken during the colonial era. It's made up of different languages spoken in Europe, especially Portuguese and English, as well as some local languages or dialects.
The language is mostly spoken in West African. Of the 16 countries in the sub-region, Ghana and Nigeria speak it most. Between these two countries, Nigeria happen to speak it better, with different variants. In Lagos, Warri, Benin, Port Harcourt, Onitsha, Enugu, etc in Nigeria speak variants of the language. Of all, Warri speak its complex form. That spoken in Warri alone is even difficult for some other cities to comrehend.
Ghanaians should give us the variants in their country.
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by Mogidi: 6:07pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ghanaians don't really speak pidgin, they mostly communicate using Fante or Twi languages. Only Sierra Leone and Liberia come close to speaking pidgin but their variant is actually "creole" (Krio in Sierra Leone) and (Kreyol in Liberia).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by AzontoGhost(m): 7:40pm On Sep 22, 2014
I SEE....
I HEAR BOYS SPEAKING IT ON CAMPUS..I DONT SPEAK IT THOUGH I UNDERSTAND THEM PERFECTLY
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by donphilopus: 8:16pm On Sep 22, 2014
AzontoGhost: I SEE....
I HEAR BOYS SPEAKING IT ON CAMPUS..I DONT SPEAK IT THOUGH I UNDERSTAND THEM PERFECTLY

This guy wan dey kpara for us nw o... Cum Nigerdelta make u cum see as guyz dey yearn Pidgin. Apart from Warri, na we [Edo] and Rivers get the lingua o. We nor dey dull.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by AzontoGhost(m): 8:32pm On Sep 22, 2014
donphilopus:

This guy wan dey kpara for us nw o... Cum Nigerdelta make u cum see as guyz dey yearn Pidgin. Apart from Warri, na we [Edo] and Rivers get the lingua o. We nor dey dull.
LOL.....AM FROM GHANA cheesy
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by Lilimax(f): 8:41pm On Sep 22, 2014
donphilopus:

In Uniben those days pidgin English was the lingua franca. Bros I hail! smiley
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
Apart from Warri and Port Harcourt, where I've lived, the next town that comes close to them in Pidgin is Benin. Lokoja is arguabl the best in Pidgin in northern Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by Ramnon2: 8:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: Apart from Warri and Port Harcourt, where I've lived, the next town that comes close to them in Pidgin is Benin. Lokoja is arguabl the best in Pidgin in northern Nigeria.

DUH!!!! That's because those are cities in multi-ethnic states. How else will they communicate, particular for the English-uneducated ones?

Among the mono-ethnic states of SW, SE and Hausa-speaking Northern Nigeria, the SE states speak far more pidgin. Unlike SE, You hardly hear Yorubas speaking pidgin among themselves, except for those in Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ramnon2:

DUH!!!! That's because those are cities in multi-ethnic states. How else will they communicate, particular for the English-uneducated ones?

Among the mono-ethnic states of SW, SE and Hausa-speaking Northern Nigeria, the SE states speak far more pidgin. Unlike SE, You hardly hear Yorubas speaking pidgin among themselves, except for those in Lagos.
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by PapiWata: 9:13pm On Sep 22, 2014
As Queen Elizabeth English grammar get hin own law from London, na so broken get hin own do and no do, for Waffi and Edo land.

Monkey no fine, but hin mama love am. Broken language too dey one kind, because grammar man dem no like am, as den no sabi nak am.

Na him make me come remember Izon parable when talk say buffalo when see hunter begin dey run, na to save both him own life ANDI the life of the hunter too, because if two of dem mistake jam demself for inside bush, no how wey one of dem nogo die before the fight finish.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by kel4soft: 9:14pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ramnon2:

Well said.
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by kel4soft: 9:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
Port Harcourt pidgin is not monolingua (spelling or grammar). The guys in Diobu and Marine Base watersides speak different version from the regular on the streets of PH. You hear names 'Abobi', 'Ahboi' and so on. I bet you, you may not understand one thing those folks from aforementioned areas will say if you are around them.
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:34pm On Sep 22, 2014
kel4soft: Port Harcourt pidgin is not monolingua (spelling or grammar). The guys in Diobu and Marine Base watersides speak different version from the regular on the streets of PH. You hear names 'Abobi', 'Ahboi' and so on. I bet you, you may not understand one thing those folks from aforementioned areas will say if you are around them.
Diobu, Town and Borokiri are the best in Pidgin in PH. I'm not so much impressed with the variant spoken in Ikwerre dominated areas from Mile 3 upto Rumuola and beyond.
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by Ramnon2: 9:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Diobu, Town and Borokiri are the best in Pidgin in PH. I'm not so much impressed with the variant spoken in Ikwerre dominated areas from Mile 3 upto Rumuola and beyond.

Where is Diobu again? Is it not part of Ikwerreland? As far as I know -may be things have changed now- mile 1, 2,3 4 all along Ikwerre Road, are Ikwerreland
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:58pm On Sep 22, 2014
Ramnon2:

Where is Diobu again? Is it not part of Ikwerreland? As far as I know -may be things have changed now- mile 1, 2,3 4 all along Ikwerre Road, are Ikwerreland
Diobu is Ikwerreland, but not dominated by them. The number of Ikwerre in miles 1 and 2 is low when compared with mile 4 and above.
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by Ramnon2: 9:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Diobu is Ikwerreland, but not dominated by them. The number of Ikwerre in miles 1 and 2 is low when compared with mile 4 and above.
Of course it is part of PH metropolis, so expected to be an admixture of Nigerians. Again, the Ikwerre dominated areas will be more mono-ethnic, so variation from more diverse Ikwerreland should not be a surprise, no?
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by akumada1: 10:10pm On Sep 22, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: Apart from Warri and Port Harcourt, where I've lived, the next town that comes close to them in Pidgin is Benin. Lokoja is arguabl the best in Pidgin in northern Nigeria.
Na benue no be lokoja otukpo in particular
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by JiggamanGh: 10:15pm On Sep 22, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: Pidgin is a type of language that started being spoken during the colonial era. It's made up of different languages spoken in Europe, especially Portuguese and English, as well as some local languages or dialects.
The language is mostly spoken in West African. Of the 16 countries in the sub-region, Ghana and Nigeria speak it most. Between these two countries, Nigeria happen to speak it better, with different variants. In Lagos, Warri, Benin, Port Harcourt, Onitsha, Enugu, etc in Nigeria speak variants of the language. Of all, Warri speak its complex form. That spoken in Warri alone is even difficult for some other cities to comrehend.
Ghanaians should give us the variants in their country.

I agree Nigerian Pidgin is the best. I hate Sierra Leonean pidgin it sounds so
Aggressive. Ghana doesn't really speak pidgin.
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by onwundiyoruba: 10:31pm On Sep 22, 2014
Words in nigerian pidgin english are mostly from the igbo and yorubad tribe e.g. Una is from igbo "unu" meaning you people, wahala is from yoruba and lots more.
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by donphilopus: 2:50pm On Sep 23, 2014
Lilimax: In Uniben those days pidgin English was the lingua franca. Bros I hail! smiley

Lol... Even Ekp sef!
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by mrPero(m): 3:14pm On Sep 23, 2014
Pigin De totori me fo bori like say I shop boli wif fish. ... If no b say onefin onefin or e com happun say mesef com becom presido fo we naija.... pigin fo b d language... e fo mak sense die o....
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by Akerry(m): 4:06pm On Sep 23, 2014
mrPero: Pigin De totori me fo bori like say I shop boli wif fish. ... If no b say onefin onefin or e com happun say mesef com becom presido fo we naija.... pigin fo b d language... e fo mak sense die o....
yea e for make sense o.....where ve u been bro?
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by Rexia(f): 10:09am On Feb 18, 2018
Emmm....I don't really think Nigeria has the best spoken pidgin English.Besides,I really like the one of sierra Leone.Oh! and if you want to hear Cameroon pidgin you should check out this video Jovi don 4 kwatt
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by anibi9674: 11:23am On Feb 18, 2018
Nigeria (port Harcourt) pidgin day sweet like tom tom Micki Micki.
Re: Nigeria Has The Best Spoken Pidgin English And Various Variants Of It. by Rexia(f): 2:49pm On Feb 24, 2018
JiggamanGh:

I agree Nigerian Pidgin is the best. I hate Sierra Leonean pidgin it sounds so
Aggressive. Ghana doesn't really speak pidgin.
What is so aggressive about sierra leonean pidgin.I like it

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News,isis Endorse Buhari / Mayowa Orisatola (baba Aditu) Is Dead. / What Quantity Of Blood Thoes Ogboni Wants For Gej's Victory-revelation!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.