Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) (9614 Views)

A Classy Bachelor Pad Should Have Part 2: - / Free Education In Denmark For Bachelor And Master Degrees / A Classy Bachelor Pad Should Have: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Seun(m): 1:41pm On Sep 22, 2005
Hello,

Sometime in the future, hopefully in less than 2 years, I'm going to be moving into my own place of residence. My own flat.

It'll be just me in the house, no room-mates or flat-mates, but the house will have to function as my office. This means that I may have one or more employees around during the day and sometimes at night, and I'll need regular power supply and Internet Access.

I'd like you to help me determine what and what I need to have in my bachelor pad, and where I should locate it, so that I'll be able to estimate:
- How much it would cost for me to move.
- How much I'll have to be spending monthly to maintain my crib/flat/house.
- How long it'll be before I can afford to move to my own flat wink.

Ladies, I particularly want your opinion on this issue because of you-know-what. wink kiss

Once again,
- I need to know what gadgets, appliances, fixtures, fqcilities, etc I need to have.
- Money is a major issue here; I'll be needing all your cost-saving tips & pricing information.
- I'll need choose a particular state town or residential area for this move.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by vexxy(f): 2:23pm On Sep 22, 2005
I'm not sure how helpful I'll be seeing as though there are a few differences in domociles in regards to our locations but:

As far as Seun's Crib goes I'd say a 2 bedroom place would be good. One as your bedroom and use the other for an office. I say this because if you're planning on having employees you may want them to be out of sight when you have guests in your living room/dining room area. It will also make your place look less cluttered and more organized.

An office space can become messy with papers and gadgets, best keep it out of sight.

I'm not sure about how many appliances you want but guys around here can't live without a coffee maker and a microwave. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Seun(m): 2:33pm On Sep 22, 2005
I'm thinking:
[list][li]Two large battery inverter/power supply units to deal with frequent short power outages (I currently use one)[/li]
[li]A tiny petrol generator (what wattage is ideal?) to deal with prolonged outages. It should be able to power a fan and two computers. And a strong flame-proof metal container for the petrol.[/li]
[li]I'd love to have a Microwave Oven, but with inconsistent power supply ...[/li]
[li]A gas-powered cooker for all cooking needs. Is an Oven necessary?[/li]
[li]Facilities: A good, cheap, regular supply of water is essential.[/li]
[li]Location: It must be close enough to Fixed Wirless ISPs costing < 15,000 per month.[/li][/list]
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by angelak(f): 2:49pm On Sep 22, 2005
I agree with what vexxy said as regards the 2 bedroom issue. One should be used for an office and the other your room for private moments wink. As for the rent involved , it depends on were you are located. Internet service and constant supply depends on your pocket. there is no where in Nigeria were you can have constant electricity, so you have to buy a cheap generator and as for the internet service, you know that it depends on your pocket too.you can either get a phone line or subscribe with M-web. All amounts to cash.

what i can really help you with is your bed room! cheesy

I will be right back!
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by vexxy(f): 2:52pm On Sep 22, 2005
His bedroom better consist of nothing but his bed, a dresser, maybe a tv, lamps, a full length mirror, carpet, and shades for the window(s) since nothing will be done in there but sleeping and dressing! wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Danfo(m): 3:34pm On Sep 22, 2005
@Seun,

Living room

It’s better to start with the place most people see when they visit and the spot where you will be chilling out. 
•Get some nice sound system
•Make your den look cool by investing in a plasma flat screen TV.
•Get a nice comfortable settee but not too stuffy as free space is very cool.
•Be sure to have a ceiling fan in the living
•You can also be a step ahead of the game by having a corner bar in your living room. And be sure to know what to keep in your bar to make it look cool. You can design the bar area by putting a tall, clear glass vase on display, and fill it up with stones, fresh bamboo sticks

Bedroom

•Get a king size bed as space is needed for playing football with the ladies ( Iyabo, Kemi, Funke, Stella, Chinyere, Ngozi , Sherifat etc)
•A nice standing fan
•I would suggest a lamp that provides  good lighting that you can shine in different directions, with the option to dim
•Show the babe who's visiting you that you are a man of culture by displaying your artistic side on the wall. This is something you should choose yourself as a reflection of your taste and style. But if you are unsure about what to get give me a shout.

Office
This is entirely up to you. May be a bit tricky in terms of privacy etc...

That’s all I can think of for now, hope it helps.

Remember; your place is a reflection of who you are, so express yourself through it , be proud of it and let it prove that you're a man of style and sophistication.

1 Like

Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by vexxy(f): 4:05pm On Sep 22, 2005
Since he's being conservative in the spending I think he'd have to do without the bar and plasma tv although they are nice options

I do think that majority of the money should be spent on the essentials.  The generator(s), the rent for a place with the internet connections, and facilities he's looking for.  The rest of the decorating can come over time with emphasis on the living/dining room areas since that's where the entertaining will be done

His bedroom can be kept to basic essentials for the time being.  With his feelings on pre-maritial sex, no need to set the room up with a romantic feel; no one should be in there but him. cheesy

For the office I'll suggest:

a desk
lamps
filing cabinets
an erasable ink calendar.  This is good because you can change the months and entries with no problem.  It's also eye catching so you won't miss appointments.
A comfortable chair, maybe a couch and table for meetings
A phone and if possible a fax machine (if it's needed for the type of work you do).
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by whiteshark(m): 6:31pm On Sep 22, 2005
Broda just start small... Get the basic thing first...Rug... beddings,,... toiletries ,.... cooking utensils.... A desk and a chair......

After this you can start fixing the place up when u have the cash. I have rented 3 apartments since I started living on my own and I can tell you that different apartments will require different approches in fixting it so just take you time, do the immediate things FIRST. then take you time and do you pad up..... This should not take you another month or two

note...

4 walls ....multi colour light shades
4 Rug/carpet.... strong dark colours

Vertical or vernician blinds..dull colours

Lightings...

Living room= bright
Bedroom= u know nah

musts...

Gas cooker
pots and pans
small fridge
Table and chair (s)
@ least 4 plate, spoons knives etc

the rest na you sabi..

Take care bro and I wish you well
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Missworld(f): 5:03am On Sep 23, 2005
My mind just went blank.
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by hotangel2(f): 6:39am On Sep 23, 2005
Mine did too. It's like everything has already been said.

All i know is, make sure you office is neat and organized. Your living should have enough space.. cos that always makes the place look extremely big and gorgeous. Have a little bar, and make sure you have the right electronics. A toaster and blender, for the kitchen.
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by kazey(m): 8:15pm On Oct 02, 2005
you just need a few things and you are good to go.

1. A good book on interior decoration cheesy
2. A Desktop. (maybe 5 units)+ one notebook for mobility.
3. A laserjet Printer.
4. Internet Connection
5. A generator.
4. Office chairs and table and file cabinets. Preferable two sets. lots of comfortable chairs for working area.
5. A set of cheap 3-seater in the sitting room with a center table a newspaper rack, a rug in the middle plus a cool sound system (preferably a 3 CD changer).
6. A mobile phone preferably a PDA phone (for your schedules)
7. A kitchen gas cooker and a wadrobe for your untensils.
8. A book wardrobe plus CD rack.
9. Reading lamp stands for the reading tables.
10. A Fridge and a dustbin.
11. A bed, a clothe wardrobe, a laundry stand, and a shoe rack.

With all this you are good to go. You don't need a t.v , what are you watching?

Besides your wallet needs to be thick, and a good flow of regular income must be ensured, before you can decide to shift on your own cheesy, funishing alone can take all your money just like that cheesy. Approximately my list would cost you almost 900,000 Naira. Just like that.
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Seun(m): 11:10am On Oct 03, 2005
kazey, how much per month will your list cost me?

I've created a shortlist based on your seuggestions, which more items will be added to later. Thanks, everybody!

NECESSARY
Generator (Small Petrol Gen.)
Desktop PC (low-power LCD screen?)
Laptop PC (fairly used?)
Laserjet Printer
Refridgerator (if NEPA is pretty good in the area)
2 Standing Fans w. Plastic blades (fairly used?)
2kva auto-switch Standby UPS System
Gas cooker (2 openings, no oven)
Portable Rechargeable Lamp
OPTIONAL:
PDA Phone (fairly used?)
TV + Digital Video Recorder + DSTV (optional)
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by laura(f): 3:38am On Oct 07, 2005
If you are not using it throw it out. Less is more, especially as a guy. Don't be afraid to use color. Make sure it says something about your personality, not just out of a catalog.
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Seun(m): 5:56am On Sep 07, 2006
Thanks so much for your suggestions.

When I created this topic, I was not ready to be in my own place but now I think the time as come. But now, the requirements have changed. What I'm looking for is:
1) Security, so one can sleep at night.
2) Comfort, of a reasonable level that one can afford.
3) Economy, so I'll achieve the maximum amount of comfort with the minimum amount of money.

I'll probably have a small fridge, a small gas cooker, a small petrol generator for occasional use, a desktop or laptop PC and accesories for all my work, rechargeable power generator, mattress, a bookshelf and 3 plastic chairs in a small flat.

The flat should have a bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom. Living room and latrine are optional. There should be a reliable source of running water or people I can pay to fetch water for me.

The surrounding area should have no noise or air pollution. (Crowded cities like Lagos won't do!)
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by tinard(m): 7:07pm On Sep 08, 2006
Just out of curiosity, how much is this place costing you in a year? Monthly rent and where in Ogun state are we talking about, Abeokuta or little developing towns like Kajola, Ibafoor somewhere else?
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Seun(m): 10:05pm On Sep 08, 2006
I don't have this place yet, but when I have it I want it to cost me the minimum amount of money possible.
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Panache(m): 9:08pm On Sep 12, 2006
Seun, you dey ball ooo!
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Seun(m): 4:26pm On Sep 13, 2006
What does it mean to "ball"?
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by stanleyo(m): 3:45pm On Sep 15, 2006
Seun
I believe you can have all you want so far the money is in your wallet and you are ready to spend it.
Don't mind anybody telling you what to have and whatnot to have, you decide on your own and before you know it the place is set
I am not asking you to totally overlook what has been suggested for the crib but be wise.
Gods guidance wink wink wink
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by TEEZERO(m): 6:16pm On Sep 26, 2006
What, really, is "minimum amount of money?" You currently live in Ogun State, I believe. Is this where you are also operating out from? Going on the Internet and all that? If that is true, then stick to Ogun State. Life appears to be easier and saner out there. And, I believe there are some housing schemes that the current Ogun State Government has created that you could benefit from. Rent is even cheaper in Ogun State than Lagos State. Pollution (of all types - noise, environmental) is even less in Ogun State.
I think in whatever you do, ensure that you create for yourself a place where you can balance your professional life with your personal life. If you love reading, then create place in the pad that will give you absolute reading comfort. For security, you know God is the greatest protector but you too can help by observing some simple security rules. Lock your door at all times. Have a peep hole (this may not be the correct term for this) - when someone is at the door, at least you will see the person before you open the door. Have door bells. Have burglar proofs. Don't move into a house with only one door for entrance and exit. Why not, you can insure your property. By the way, a lot of the banks these days allow you to buy some of the household goods now and pay later. Bank PHP has a scheme called "Possibilities." First Bank has one called U First. There is nothing wrong in talking with them, even if you don't end up going through that route.
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Seun(m): 6:22pm On Dec 13, 2006
Tee Zero, I appreciate your advice very much.

One reason why I'm considering Lagos State is the availability of broadband Internet access there.

But I hate the heavy traffic, pollution, noise, area boys, okada gangs, vigilante groups, et cetera.

I wonder if there are some cool and quiet areas in Lagos with broadband Internet access?
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by kdships(m): 5:47pm On Dec 27, 2006
Seun, somewhere around Lekki-Epe expressway would be the best place for you. It's got all you can think of, Shopping mall, internet access etc, just around you. If you must save money getting a house though, you would have to go a little further away from Lekki.
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by magneto(m): 4:10pm On Jan 26, 2007
good going Seun, hope u've found a decent crib. i know most peeps have already suggested a small petrol generator for ur power supply, but i'd suggest u get a solar panel instead. i haven't tried it personally, but from what i've heard i think its pretty neat. it lasts all day and all night and u don't have to keep buying petrol, which is important to keep ur overhead cost low.
anyway, if u eventually get it, pls tell me ur experience cos i'm planning on getting one myself, when i'm ready to move into my own crib.

peace bro!
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by uspry1(f): 1:18am On Feb 17, 2007
I don't know if it is good idea.

Why don't you replace from petrol generator to wind-generator? See picture attached. (Picture displays an installer installing a mini-wind generator on the top of chimney beside the roof)

I research seeing if Nigeria have wind-generator distributor (factory location) to sell it. Yes there is. How come it is not popular to Nigeria? It saves 25%-50% your electric bill, running by wind that links to your utility-controlled box for a house, boat, or mobile camper (RV, recreational vehicle) when the power outrages.

Price ranges from 46,728 Naira ($350.00 USD) to 333,775 Naira ($2,500.00 USD) depend on how much watt/volt usage. What do you think? I will give you the link for more detail about wind-generator and how it works later.

Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Seun(m): 7:41pm On Feb 20, 2007
Wind generator? Solar seems like a more likely choice if one is interested in renewable energy.
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by ibkn(m): 9:39am On Feb 21, 2007
hey wher is d link 4 d wind generator? how does it work ?
solar panels how much do they cost
to seun its about 2 years now have you moved to ur bachelor pad? grin
if yes when is the housewarming? grin grin grin
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by topup: 5:43am On Jul 01, 2009
I can see a future in this topic, I'm learning just being here. I'm not familiar with how to plan & organise a house in Nigeria as I'm not familiar with all of the issues there.

How is your flat goin' Seun (and what's this 'you know what' that we ladies should know?). .
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 14, 2015
Wow This topic is 10 years old. I'm sure oga seun now stays in a mansion #surulere smiley

4 Likes

Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by Sirmuel1(m): 9:40pm On Mar 31, 2019
Wow This topic is 10 years old. I'm sure oga seun now stays in a mansion #surulere smiley

I'm just seeing the post in 2019 wink

@Seun, I fit be your PA.... Biko pick my call smiley
Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by CAPSLOCKED: 12:09am On Apr 01, 2019
Seun:
Hello,

Sometime in the future, hopefully in less than 2 years, I'm going to be moving into my own place of residence. My own flat.

It'll be just me in the house, no room-mates or flat-mates, but the house will have to function as my office. This means that I may have one or more employees around during the day and sometimes at night, and I'll need regular power supply and Internet Access.

I'd like you to help me determine what and what I need to have in my bachelor pad, and where I should locate it, so that I'll be able to estimate:
- How much it would cost for me to move.
- How much I'll have to be spending monthly to maintain my crib/flat/house.
- How long it'll be before I can afford to move to

Once again,
- I need to know what gadgets, appliances, fixtures, fqcilities, etc I need to have.
- Money is a major issue here; I'll be needing all your cost-saving tips & pricing information.

GUESS YOU'RE NOW LIVING THE DREAM THAT CAME THROUGH.
I'M HERE TO REMIND YOU OF THE DAY YOU THOUGHT OUT LOUD IN 2005. CHEERS MY MAN.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by NNAMDIII(m): 9:58am On Apr 01, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

GUESS YOU'RE NOW LIVING THE DREAM THAT CAME THROUGH.
I'M HERE TO REMIND YOU OF THE DAY YOU THOUGHT OUT LOUD IN 2005. CHEERS MY MAN.
I love this jare, like play like play 14 years don pass

1 Like

Re: Help Me Plan My Bachelor Pad (My Own Place) by tck2000(m): 6:23pm On Jun 28, 2019
down

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun Government's Statement On Collapsed Building / Product Of The Day / Please Help Appraise/vet This Building Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.