Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Why Do People Keep Thinking Their Idea Will Be Stolen If Shared - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do People Keep Thinking Their Idea Will Be Stolen If Shared (706 Views)

This idea will give you over 400% ROI on your Current/Next Construction Project / House, Please, Your Views On This Business Idea Will Help Us In Many Ways / How Do You Determine That A New & Uncommon Idea Will Succeed In The Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Keep Thinking Their Idea Will Be Stolen If Shared by dramaticspeak(m): 3:16pm On Sep 23, 2014
Having an idea is said to represent between 1 and 5 per cent of d necessary ingredients for a successful company. The remaining 95 per cent comes down to execution and this is where you will need people. To believe that people you meet are just sitting around waiting to steal your idea borders on delusions of grandeur. There is a lot to be gained by telling people about your idea. You receive valuable inputs and reactions which will help to develop your idea further. You might even build contacts with potential customers, experts and investors. The more you talk about your idea the better it becomes, the more others can help you and the more commited you are to your project. Do you know anyone who has been successful with a secret idea?
Re: Why Do People Keep Thinking Their Idea Will Be Stolen If Shared by vizkiz: 3:22pm On Sep 23, 2014
uhmmmmn...sorry for derailing but Op, those boo*bs i am seeing @ your profile is hindering the spirit from flowing undecided...i think i need to deliver you personally

Come into my office wink
Re: Why Do People Keep Thinking Their Idea Will Be Stolen If Shared by ammyluv2002(f): 3:29pm On Sep 23, 2014
vizkiz: uhmmmmn...sorry for derailing but Op, those boo*bs i am seeing @ your profile is hindering the spirit from flowing undecided...i think i need to deliver you personally

Come into my office wink
LOL....very funny! Come into my office indeed grin
vizkiz: uhmmmmn...sorry for derailing but Op, those boo*bs i am seeing @ your profile is hindering the spirit from flowing undecided...i think i need to deliver you personally

Come into my office wink
LOL....very funny! Come into my office indeed
Re: Why Do People Keep Thinking Their Idea Will Be Stolen If Shared by insidifyguru: 4:27pm On Sep 23, 2014
dramaticspeak: Having an idea is said to represent between 1 and 5 per cent of d necessary ingredients for a successful company. The remaining 95 per cent comes down to execution and this is where you will need people. To believe that people you meet are just sitting around waiting to steal your idea borders on delusions of grandeur. There is a lot to be gained by telling people about your idea. You receive valuable inputs and reactions which will help to develop your idea further. You might even build contacts with potential customers, experts and investors. The more you talk about your idea the better it becomes, the more others can help you and the more commited you are to your project. Do you know anyone who has been successful with a secret idea?

Very beautiful points you've raised for why people should not be scared to share their business ideas. But you can't deny the fact that there exists the very real possibility that business ideas can actually be stolen. It is quite important that you copyright your idea before sharing with people who you'd like to help you to avoid those people helping themselves with your idea. #Insidify
Re: Why Do People Keep Thinking Their Idea Will Be Stolen If Shared by DukeNija(m): 12:43pm On Sep 25, 2014
dramaticspeak: Having an idea is said to represent between 1 and 5 per cent of d necessary ingredients for a successful company. The remaining 95 per cent comes down to execution and this is where you will need people. To believe that people you meet are just sitting around waiting to steal your idea borders on delusions of grandeur. There is a lot to be gained by telling people about your idea. You receive valuable inputs and reactions which will help to develop your idea further. You might even build contacts with potential customers, experts and investors. The more you talk about your idea the better it becomes, the more others can help you and the more commited you are to your project. Do you know anyone who has been successful with a secret idea?

I really agree with you. I got a fantastic idea for an online business project and wanted to keep it all to myself. It involved a lot of research and I felt I could handle it alone, didn't want anyone pulling stunts on me because I have some equally crazy intellectuals as friends. But on the flipside, I decided to share some of the idea with trusted friends and I realised it was a better option because I got loads of opinions and advice, plus they all loved the idea like crazy, which helped build my confidence in the project.
Although, I'm yet to commence, I already believe so much in it, and since I've had to explain the intricate details regarding the project severally and answer loads of questions, I now have a better understanding of the project and have made adjustments.
So its a win win situation.
But, the reason people avoid sharing ideas is because they are afraid of intellectual property theft. Everyone wants to cook the super duper idea that will make then multi- millionaires and not have to deal with co- owners and equities sharers. Besides, we live in a superstitious society where people prefer to keep their plans to themselves so as to avoid purported bewitchment from evil minded people.
Nice topic.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Keep Thinking Their Idea Will Be Stolen If Shared by vicadex07(m): 12:46am On Sep 26, 2014
DukeNija:

I really agree with you. I got a fantastic idea for an online business project and wanted to keep it all to myself. It involved a lot of research and I felt I could handle it alone, didn't want anyone pulling stunts on me because I have some equally crazy intellectuals as friends. But on the flipside, I decided to share some of the idea with trusted friends and I realised it was a better option because I got loads of opinions and advice, plus they all loved the idea like crazy, which helped build my confidence in the project.
Although, I'm yet to commence, I already believe so much in it, and since I've had to explain the intricate details regarding the project severally and answer loads of questions, I now have a better understanding of the project and have made adjustments.
So its a win win situation.
But, the reason people avoid sharing ideas is because they are afraid of intellectual property theft. Everyone wants to cook the super duper idea that will make then multi- millionaires and not have to deal with co- owners and equities sharers. Besides, we live in a superstitious society where people prefer to keep their plans to themselves so as to avoid purported bewitchment from evil minded people.
Nice topic.

Your last sentence sums it all up...SUPERSTITION

(1) (Reply)

Play And Win For Free Instant Cash Out / Don't Do New Year Resolutions Till You Read This / Available Business For A Million Naira In Uyo Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.