Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,390 members, 7,815,830 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence (2211 Views)

As A Teacher, How Can I Help Boost Confidence In A Timid Pupil / 7 Easy Ways On How To Improve Your Knowledge / Easy Ways To Stay Awake While Studying At Night (FOR STUDENTS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by GentleNaaz(m): 6:16pm On Sep 23, 2014
11 EASY WAYS TO BUILD SELF-CONFIDENCE

Self confidence is the difference between feeling unstoppable and feeling scared out of your wits. Your perception of yourself has an enormous impact on how
others perceive you. Perception is reality — the more self confidence you have, the more likely it is you’ll succeed.
Although many of the factors affecting self confidence are beyond your control, there
are a number of things you can
consciously do to build self confidence. By using these 10 strategies you can get the
mental edge you need to reach your
potential.

1. Dress Sharp
Although clothes don’t make the man/woman, they certainly affect the way he/she feels about himself/herself. No one is more conscious
of your physical appearance than you are. When you don’t look good, it changes the way you carry yourself and interact with
other people. Use this to your advantage by taking care of your personal appearance. In most cases, significant
improvements can be made by bathing and shaving frequently, wearing clean clothes, and being cognizant of the latest styles.
This doesn’t mean you need to spend a lot on clothes. One great rule to follow is
“spend twice as much, buy half as much”.
Rather than buying a bunch of cheap clothes, buy half as many select, high quality items. In long run this decreases
spending because expensive clothes wear out less easily and stay in style longer than cheap clothes. Buying less also helps
reduce the clutter in your closet.

2. Walk Faster
One of the easiest ways to tell how a
person feels about herself is to examine her walk. Is it slow? tired? painful? Or is it energetic and purposeful? People with
confidence walk quickly. They have places to go, people to see, and important work to do. Even if you aren’t in a hurry, you can increase your self confidence by putting some pep in your step. Walking
25% faster will make you look and feel more important.

3. Good Posture
Similarly, the way a person carries herself tells a story. People with slumped shoulders and lethargic movements display a lack of self confidence. They aren’t enthusiastic about what they’re doing and they don’t consider themselves
important. By practicing good posture, you’ll automatically feel more confident.
Stand up straight, keep your head up, and make eye contact. You’ll make a positive impression on others and instantly feel
more alert and empowered.

4. Personal Commercial
One of the best ways to build confidence is listening to a motivational speech.
Unfortunately, opportunities to listen to a great speaker are few and far between.
You can fill this need by creating a
personal commercial. Write a 30-60
seconds speech that highlights your
strengths and goals. Then recite it in front of the mirror aloud (or inside your head if you prefer) whenever you need a confidence boost.

5. Gratitude
When you focus too much on what you want, the mind creates reasons why you can’t have it. This leads you to dwell on your weaknesses. The best way to avoid this is consciously focusing on gratitude.
Set aside time each day to mentally list everything you have to be grateful for.
Recall your past successes, unique skills, loving relationships, and positive momentum. You’ll be amazed how much you have going for you and motivated to take that next step towards success.

6. Compliment other people
When we think negatively about
ourselves, we often project that feeling on to others in the form of insults and gossip. To break this cycle of negativity, get in the habit of praising other people.
Refuse to engage in backstabbing gossip and make an effort to compliment those around you. In the process, you’ll become
well liked and build self confidence. By looking for the best in others, you indirectly bring out the best in yourself.

7. Sit in the front row
In schools, offices, and public assemblies around the world, people constantly strive to sit at the back of the room. Most people prefer the back because they’re
afraid of being noticed. This reflects a lack of self confidence. By deciding to sit in the front row, you can get over this irrational fear and build your self confidence. You’ll also be more visible to the important people talking from the
front of the room.

8. Speak up
During group discussions many people never speak up because they’re afraid that people will judge them for saying something stupid. This fear isn’t really justified. Generally, people are much
more accepting than we imagine. In fact most people are dealing with the exact same fears. By making an effort to speak up at least once in every group discussion, you’ll become a better public
speaker, more confident in your own thoughts, and recognized as a leader by your peers. Think until you think you understand, share your thought and be ready to be criticized.

9. Work out
Along the same lines as personal
appearance, physical fitness has a huge effect on self confidence. If you’re out of shape, you’ll feel insecure, unattractive, and less energetic. By working out, you
improve your physcial appearance,
energize yourself, and accomplish
something positive. Having the discipline to work out not only makes you feel better, it creates positive momentum that you can build on the rest of the day.

10. Focus on contribution
Too often we get caught up in our own desires. We focus too much on ourselves and not enough on the needs of other people. If you stop thinking about yourself and concentrate on the contribution you’re making to the rest of
the world, you won’t worry as much
about your own flaws. This will increase self confidence and allow you to contribute with maximum efficiency. The more you contribute to the world, the more you’ll be rewarded with personal success and recognition.

11. Read voraciously and omnivorously
Read articles, watch and listen to news, magazines, journals, etc. Read everything that comes your way. It equips you with immeasurable knowledge. When you come across new words/phrases/idioms, endeavor to check there meaning and usage in dictionary.

Add yours

Writer: AWUCHI, C.N.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by leonard509(m): 7:58pm On Sep 23, 2014
Nice
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by spanzed(m): 8:34pm On Sep 23, 2014
Thanks for sharing
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 23, 2014
I'm guilty of number 7,nice one BTW
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by zube01(m): 10:35pm On Sep 23, 2014
Well nice write up...but I prefer my slow walk to fast walk helps me think deep into stuffs and I like sitting at the back in any gathering unless my mood states otherwise...used to have low confidence till I understood more about the concept of life!
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by barackohandso(m): 11:38pm On Sep 23, 2014
Funny thing is people mistake most of these signs as arrogance
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Nobody: 6:35am On Sep 24, 2014
Have money,with money,your confidence will swell.

2 Likes

Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Jinyjagz(m): 7:41am On Sep 24, 2014
nice one dere op.
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by UniqueGem(m): 8:07am On Sep 24, 2014
I like the front row than a bowl of my favourite dish.
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Donkaz(m): 8:39am On Sep 24, 2014
Op ah don hear
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by okakulo1: 9:07am On Sep 24, 2014
you made my day. god bless you!
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 24, 2014
1 and 6 works like magic
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by lymelyte(m): 9:46am On Sep 24, 2014
I am guilty of all except 2 4 7 10.
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 24, 2014
noted
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 24, 2014
I've got the self confidence I need but I hate anything affix with ‘front-row’. I always prefer to appear less noticeable as much as possible.
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by darlingnuel(m): 10:51am On Sep 24, 2014
It's all in the mind. You may do all these but still feel like poo if your mind isn't conditioned to make u feel confident. I've seen ppl who appear worthless but exude great confidence! Furthermore, the kinda company you keep and the kinda person u associate with affect ur level of confidence significantly. People marvelled at the confidence displayed by Jesus' disciples after they had been with him. Who is your mentor?

1 Like

Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Tunjasko(m): 10:52am On Sep 24, 2014
OK.
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Bryan12(m): 12:43pm On Sep 24, 2014
Mingle with persons with high self esteem.I don't mean arrogant folks.
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Tattooboy: 12:54pm On Sep 24, 2014
i always sit in front row @ office meetings but i regretted it wen our branch had a poor rating.
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by koolJ1(f): 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2014
Back seat has little to do with it. Scores of people rule a gathering (and the world) from the back seat
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 24, 2014
Yomieluv: Have money,with money,your confidence will swell.
I swear... the guy just dea write useful rubbish .... na long tin....
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 24, 2014
WarRLaY: I swear... the guy just dea write useful rubbish .... na long tin....
lolzz.

No mind the guy,Money answereth all things.
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Ichel: 2:05pm On Sep 24, 2014
#Fact
It's been working like magic since 1759
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Ruq: 2:18pm On Sep 24, 2014
Know your mind is everything, and never cloud your mind with what others think, stop doing their thinking for them.

1 Like

Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by LilyLuvSrk(f): 2:29pm On Sep 24, 2014
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by johnstar(m): 2:44pm On Sep 24, 2014
Noted
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Alleinad(f): 4:34pm On Sep 24, 2014
Wonderful points.....
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 24, 2014
This piece, is "IT".
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by Michaellegend(m): 5:18pm On Sep 24, 2014
bro, not just money only but money and power. they are brothers. if you just believe in money without power, your confidence is limited.
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by SupaJoe(m): 5:40pm On Sep 24, 2014
I love #4 8 11....I'll make sure I practice them with all my heart. I just have a feeling that if I could have confidence to speak in public, I'll achieve anything I want...I aspire to command flawless english like Mary Ajuka of cool fm. I envy you babe
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by alotofgrace(m): 5:48pm On Sep 24, 2014
no.1 gat no second in command
Re: 11 Easy Ways To Build Self Confidence by kelechiMarie(f): 5:55pm On Sep 24, 2014
Sitting in front has nothing to do with confidence,you might sit in front cause you're short or can't see from behind
Dressing sharp and good walking posture always does it grin nice points @op

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funny/witty Chemistry Jokes!! / Uniuyo Releases Second Batch Admission List - Check Here / Hey Candidates, The 2019 UTME, Jamb Result Finally Out!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.