Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Game Programming - Pros And Cons - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Programming - Pros And Cons (1171 Views)

Android Game Programming For Subway Surfers / Game Programming Tutorials ( Angry Birds, Pvz Etc ) / Tutorials On Game Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Game Programming - Pros And Cons by stanliwise(m): 11:34am On Sep 24, 2014
Game programmers are responsible for
bringing the game designers' visions to life
through code. They work closely with
designers and graphic artists to make sure
everyone's ideas work together, and may
continue to work on a game long after it is
released for sale in order to create patches
and new content. Game programmers
typically need at least a bachelor's degree.
Read below so as to know if you are ready to be a game programmer.

Pros of Game programming

1, High earning potential.

2. Variety of game programming specialties to choose from (graphics, artificial intelligence,
network, user interface)

3. Allows you to work with others who share your enjoyment of games

4. Can provide a way to help children learn and to influence society for the better.

5. Game programming skills can be used in other industries (computer systems design, data processing)
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by stanliwise(m): 11:40am On Sep 24, 2014
Cons in Game programming.

1. High stress to make a highly profitable product.

2. Long hours when nearing a deadline.

3. Most positions require at least a bachelor's degree.

4. Must keep up-to-date with new changes in technology.

5. Increased chance of back strain and other injuries due to sitting for long periods of time.

Source: diplomaguide.com
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by nollyj: 3:21pm On Sep 24, 2014
Nice point. By next year I will try my hand on game programming full time. Still thinking to go with either Ligdx framework or Unity 3D
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by Javanian: 3:45pm On Sep 24, 2014
stanliwise:
3. Most positions require at least a bachelor's degree.

I don't see why this should be considered a con. undecided

1 Like

Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by Javanian: 3:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
nollyj: Nice point. By next year I will try my hand on game programming full time. Still thinking to go with either Ligdx framework or Unity 3D

cool
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by nollyj: 3:50pm On Sep 24, 2014
Javanian:

I don't see why this should be considered a con. undecided

It should be consider a con because if you have the same skills with someone that does not have a BSc in computer you have an advantage with your added BSc degree
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by Javanian: 3:58pm On Sep 24, 2014
nollyj:

It should be consider a con because if you have the same skills with someone that does not have a BSc in computer you have an advantage with your added BSc degree

The chances of someone without a B.SC in Computer Science/Software Engineering or in any other related discipline having the same skill set as one that has such a degree is very low. Companies that ask for a B.SC know exactly what they are doing and why they asked for one.

1 Like

Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by nollyj: 4:02pm On Sep 24, 2014
Javanian:

The chances of someone without a B.SC in Computer Science/Software Engineering or in any other related discipline having the same skill set as one that has such a degree is very low.

Why?
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by Javanian: 4:07pm On Sep 24, 2014
nollyj:

Why?

Maybe you should check the Computer science syllabus of any University. You might understand better why an employee would prefer one with a degree. Here is one http://www.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/courses-exams/courses-instruction/computer-science
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by nollyj: 4:13pm On Sep 24, 2014
It seems I am missing something from your point.
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by Javanian: 4:16pm On Sep 24, 2014
nollyj: It seems I am missing something from your point.

It's simple, those with degrees are more likely to be better than those without. It is not always the case, but it is the case most of the time.
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by nollyj: 4:18pm On Sep 24, 2014
Javanian:

It's simple, those with degrees are more likely to be better than those without. It is not always the case, but it is the case most of the time.

That was the point I was trying to make.
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by stanliwise(m): 7:55pm On Sep 24, 2014
Game programming could be considered as the most difficult kind of programming a programmer can ever come across. So for those hoping to go for that sector, it could be a pain in the neck especially in nigeria(because of lack of electric power, motivation, fund); it is only for the those who can endure.
Re: Game Programming - Pros And Cons by stanliwise(m): 11:12am On May 18, 2015
Game programming books are available and if you need an assistance you can call 08083981855.

(1) (Reply)

Now That The Popular Messenger Is No More / PHP SMTP Checker Script Implementation / Vision Trip Whatsapp Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.