Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,909 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Buying Sarees In Lagos - Fashion/Clothing Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Fashion/Clothing Market / Buying Sarees In Lagos (9450 Views)

Buy Kaftans & Sarees!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buying Sarees In Lagos by chyla: 9:15am On Jul 29, 2006
Please where can I buy all these Indian cloths such as sarees here in Lagos. I really need the materials. Where can I buy it please?
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by funmi2(f): 9:38am On Jul 31, 2006
I already have 3, but I bought them from India. grin.

So, I am not the only Nigerian, or Lagosian, who loves sarees. cheesy.

@chyla, i'll help you look around. wink
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by Nobody: 11:11am On Aug 02, 2006
why don't you try chinatown
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by MN1(f): 1:38pm On Aug 02, 2006
Do you mean Sari? Indian dress worn by ladies.
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by Seun(m): 1:40pm On Aug 02, 2006
A sari (also spelled saree) is the traditional garment worn by many women in the Indian subcontinent. The garment is known by different names in various Indian languages; in Hindi, Gujarati and Marathi, it is known as sāṛī; in Kannada as seere; in Telugu as 'cheera and in Tamil as podavai.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sari
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by funmi2(f): 2:41pm On Aug 02, 2006
@ M_N, yup she means sari. its worn by married indian women, while the single one wear suits(the one with the trousers) smiley
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by onydchic(f): 8:07pm On Aug 02, 2006
oooh a friend and i actually wanted to get a couple of those, but i haven't heard of any shop in lag , you may have to look OUT of the country,
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by zebudaya(m): 9:53pm On Aug 02, 2006
saris suck wear jeans or african atire
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by superman(m): 4:33pm On Aug 03, 2006
hey chineke help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee oooooooooooooooooooo! i though we nigeria know to be proud of our culture! india sareee? day by day we are meant to realise nigeria got a long way to go! huhmm!! shocked embarassed
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by shenapanni: 6:25pm On Aug 03, 2006
@chyla

You can look around Ilupeju and VI where there are couple of Indian ladies who sell Indian clothes. There is one in Adeola Adeola street, there is one near Mr.Biggs ( I'm not very sure about their address', though). To my knowledge, these ladies can get you one from India, on request.

For your info, sarees cannot be worn on it's own wink You have to wear a matching blouse with it, which normally comes attached to the saree itself. I don't think we have tailors in Lagos who can stitch saree blouses. Also, matching underskirts are worn underneath a saree to make it look fuller. As far as I know, a 6meter long heavily embroidered cloth draped around your body on a tight fitting blouse and an underskirt can make the attire too stuffy and uncomfortable, for those who are not used to it.

Sarees can cost anywhere from Rupees. 50 to Rupees.100,000.
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by zebudaya(m): 12:49am On Aug 04, 2006
Why are they using rupees in Nigeria?
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by Damest09(f): 1:09am On Aug 04, 2006
Saree sucks, i got loads of Indians selling in the city i live. We should be proud of our culture. I haven't seen any African or even Nigerian wearing Saree. People rather prefer ordering Native from Nigeria.
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by alheri(f): 9:03am On Aug 04, 2006
Well I cant tell you where to get them sarees for sure but I could give you an alternative. Why not try the "Laffaya" worn by Kanuri women on Borno? Its about the same thing and it comes in 6 yards. Prizes vary depending on the quality. Its almost the same thing as a saree, really. I dont even know the difference sometimes. So if youre interested in that, let me know.

1 Like

Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by Madira: 10:34am On Aug 04, 2006
My two kobo's worth. There's nothing wrong with appreciating other peeps' culture. But then again, how many Indians would even dream of wearing iro and buba, aso oke or george? And what would they even think of seeing you in their native attire? I quite agree with the other peeps on this thread who think it is best to stick to one's native attire which I think is the bomb.
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by Mongue(m): 10:48am On Aug 04, 2006
All the people harassing this woman for wanting to wear a saree need to [stop]!

For goodness sake it's fine to love your culture and clothing and language but even better to appreciate others as well! Are you really saying that Nigerians should only wear iro and buba or agbada, in that case you should burn all of your jeans and shirts etc etc etc

Broaden your horizons a bit [people]
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by Madira: 11:04am On Aug 04, 2006
To each their own. Everyone is entitled to their views. Mine on this issue remains the same. It is all very well to appreciate other's cultures, however, rite now the need to appreciate and uphold ours is paramount, end of story.
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by sumbo(f): 4:10pm On Aug 04, 2006
there are lots of it in tejuosho market. i love it to especially if u use them as chiffon
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by soulpatrol(f): 6:03pm On Aug 08, 2006
my fellow nigerians, i thought we were open minded people? why cuss someone that wants to wear clothes of another nationality? since when did we become like that? we should be able to wear whatever we please. arent we wearing clothes from other cultures? like someone else commented, we should also burn/throw out our jeans and tube tops cos it sure as hell aint our culture! sheesh!!
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by zebudaya(m): 7:48pm On Aug 08, 2006
jeans are universal everybody wears them regardless of race and nationality sarees? @&#^@?
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by hollame1(f): 11:03pm On Aug 10, 2006
zeby (hope u don't mind me calling u dt tongue) sari is universal we just all wear it differently,
as for me i like my sari, my man wear naija's native, i feel proud when he wears it, , and he loves showing me off when i wear sari too. at the end of the day, everythng na cloth.
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by superman(m): 1:44am On Aug 11, 2006
na wahoo!
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by yo: 9:05pm On Sep 01, 2006
Our commercial capital may be dirty,crowded and unsafe but c'mon its our commercial capital,so we must respect it and realize that it is the NEW YORK of NIgeria.
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by kattoon: 1:03pm On Sep 04, 2006
i have sarees, how much r u prepared to pay. 6 metres which is equivalent to 61/2 yards would be from the range of £30, onwards i.e. 7,500 naira or thereabout depending on the designs u want. Heavy or standard
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by skype: 11:59am On Mar 31, 2008
cool  cool
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by kathyekiti: 7:44pm On Apr 06, 2008
I was the maid of honor at my Guyanese indian friend's wedding and yes I wore a saree. She returned the favor by wearing trado at my wedding. Just because you appreciate another culture doesn't mean you love your own any less.
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by sushiluv(f): 7:15pm On Jul 21, 2012
Hey I don't know wen u wrote dis but an indian friend bought me two nd ill like to get rid of one wat am I doin with saree dat ill hav 2 don't even know were to sew it so if u r interested call me on 08174477557.tak care
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by sushiluv(f): 7:11am On Nov 08, 2012
sushiluv: Hey I don't know wen u wrote dis but an indian friend bought me two nd ill like to get rid of one wat am I doin with saree dat ill hav 2 don't even know were to sew it so if u r interested call me on 08174477557.tak care
Doyin hii iv been tryin ur line its switched off d maroon saree u requested for is in Lagos pls call so I get give u d name nd number to get intouch.Thanks
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by Nobody: 2:45pm On Nov 09, 2012
call this number
ama: 2348074430911
Re: Buying Sarees In Lagos by asikiye: 8:11am On Nov 13, 2012
I have beaded already made sari gowns for sale in different color. Pls call 08063370538

(1) (2) (Reply)

HAWES AND CURTIS SHIRTS FOR SALE / Diana Stalder Products, Meladerm And Glutathione In Nigeria / Calvin Klein Dress Medium Size N2500 And Neiman Woman Party Dress N4500. (M)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.