Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,045 members, 7,956,891 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:44 PM

Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation (27803 Views)

Egypt Air Reacts To Joshua Abdul-azeez's Story / (A Must Read) How Egypt Air Wrongly Flew Me To Another Country, Tore My Passport / Who Has Taken Ethiopian Airlines/royal Maroc/ Egypt Air From London, UK To Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Omooba77: 7:30am On Sep 25, 2014
ABUJA—The management of Egypt Air, which was accused of maltreatment and wrongful deportation of a Nigerian medical student, Joshua Kunle Abdul-Azeez, studying in Ukraine and tearing his Nigerian international passport has admitted making a mistake and offered to compensate the student.
This followed an intervention by the House of Representatives Committee on Diaspora.
Having received a complaint filed against Egypt Air, the committee, led by Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa yesterday met with representatives of the Airline on circumstances surrounding the alleged negligence, harassment and deportation of the complainant back to Nigeria aboard EgyptAir.
It will be recalled that Saturday Vanguard had exclusively reported how Mr Abdulazeez was detained two Saturdays ago, starved for four days and his passport torn to shreds.
According to Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa (APC, Lagos), “the error of not ascertaining the final destination of the complainant from his ticket was that of Egypt Air.’’
‘’If you are going to London for instance, your final destination must be known before your visa is approved or before air ticket would be accepted by airline operators,’’ she said.
She added that ‘’ours is that, once a Nigerian is ill-treated anywhere in the world, we must make sure that justice is done’’.
Putting the issues in perspective, legal representative of Egypt Air, Robert Clarke (SAN), told the Committee that though the incident of maltreatment and harassment as reported did not occur while the complainant was still in the physical custody of Egypt Air, the issue of negligence arising from wrong routing of his destination in the ticket was a mistake his clients cannot deny.
He said, ‘’although, my clients made a mistake when his ticket was being routed which had to do with the exchange between Egypt Air and a Turkish airline, however, the boy partly caused the problem for himself when he entered a Turkish airline that was not going to Kiev. He tried to board a plane that was going to Moldova, that was when it was discovered that he did not have a visa to that destination’’.
‘’The truth is that, we made a mistake on his ticket; that much we are ready to admit and make compensation as appropriate. We wronged the boy. We were negligent and he has suffered tremendous damage for which we are ready to own up and address accordingly. I feel for the young man for having suffered on the account of our mistake of not routing his ticket to his final destination, which was Kiev’’, he said.
He also hinted that the matter has assumed a legal dimension following a notice of service by some lawyers on behalf of the boy, claiming damages in huge sum of money.
‘’Two weeks ago, some lawyers wrote to the airline claiming a huge sum of money in damages, so as we speak now, the matter has gone beyond the realm of this Committee to a Federal High Court according to the letter we got’’, he explained.
Joshua Abdul-Azeez, 17 was on his way to Kiev, the Ukrainian capital when his passport was seized and torn by Immigration officials at the Istanbul Airport in Turkey for not possessing a visa to his preferred destination, Moldova.
However, in his petition to the House Committee on Diaspora, he alleged that his ordeal was caused by the lack of professionalism on the part of Egypt Air which handled his travel arrangements from Nigeria.
The Committee however urged the Airline to reach an amicable settlement with the young man and take necessary measures to avoid future occurrences.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/torn-nigerian-passport-egypt-air-admits-error-offers-pay-compensation/#sthash.ihBu6I8Z.dpuf

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Omooba77: 7:30am On Sep 25, 2014
Like $1m will do oh...............the boy don hit mega......

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 25, 2014
More like $2million, what if the boy had died of starvation. They need to pay up

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Bigcake: 7:50am On Sep 25, 2014
Dabiri has done us proud. Right from her days in the NTA she was always standing tall against injustice. For the boy i suggest $2million and a full page apology that will run for one week in five major Nigerian newspapers and two international news stations in the likes of Aljazeera and BBC. For once Nigerians must be heard and honoured, just my submission.

295 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by CharlieMaria(m): 7:51am On Sep 25, 2014
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by cellors: 7:54am On Sep 25, 2014
we are getting there. its a good move our government did the right thing this time around! atleast, this case wasn't swept under the carpet.

Tearing of our passport was so wrong by the Egyptian official mehn. It was totally a disgracefull act!!!!
They made the poor boy suffered for their stupid mistake! I hope the Egyptian official is sacked already.

The Egyptians you see today, you shall see them no more.

91 Likes 1 Share

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by tempest01(m): 7:55am On Sep 25, 2014
Mega hammer....they should also starve me for 3 days....I don't mind.

11 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by gift01: 7:55am On Sep 25, 2014
Step by step we get there. Despite political affiliation or tribal difference, an Injustice to one Nigerian is an Injustice to all Nigerians. Well done Miss Dabiri..... The best news to sooth a cool morning in Lagos.

11 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by bosunjohns(m): 7:56am On Sep 25, 2014
Nice!
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 25, 2014
Joshua kunle the Egyptians u see today u shall see them no more

25 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by kilokeys(m): 7:57am On Sep 25, 2014
make dem come tear my passport o grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 25, 2014
Naija passport go soon weigh

3 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by lafuria1(m): 7:57am On Sep 25, 2014
Start from $10 million for trauma, disrespect, torture, racism, lost of valuable items, deception and attempted murder through starvation.

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by gift01: 7:58am On Sep 25, 2014
Bigcake: Dabiri has done us proud. Right from her days in the NTA she was always standing tall against injustice. For the boy i suggest $2million and a full page apology that will run for one week in five major Nigerian newspapers and two international news stations in the likes of Aljazeera and BBC. For once Nigerians must be heard and honoured, just my submission.
She's my choice for Lagos Governor if the cabals will give her a chance. Abike Dabiri for Lagos 2015

28 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Richiy(f): 7:58am On Sep 25, 2014
Why did they own up na? I can just imagine their reaction when they decide to fight and a court rules them guilty. Then the compensation would throw them out of business. Anyways, good PR.

3 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by lightheart(m): 7:59am On Sep 25, 2014
Nice one. That is how things should be.

I like that they owned up.

‘’The truth is that, we made a mistake on his ticket; that much we are ready to admit and make compensation as appropriate. We wronged the boy. We were negligent and he has suffered tremendous damage for which we are ready to own up and address accordingly. I feel for the young man for having suffered on the account of our mistake of not routing his ticket to his final destination, which was Kiev’’, he said.

Bad publicity is bad for business.

3 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by sweetgala(m): 7:59am On Sep 25, 2014
I'd say he can successfully request for $1 million plus publicated apology.

1 Like

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by TeamclicksAir: 7:59am On Sep 25, 2014
Good News...Doro mega mega Cash

1 Like

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by lurvy: 7:59am On Sep 25, 2014
undecided
[size=15pt]Everyone is talking about how much compensation should be given to the boy...

Nobody is appreciating NAIRALAND where the story was first reported and made available to the whole world!

So NAIRALAND should continue with free service to humanity, abi?[/size] lipsrsealed

101 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by oluwamitomisin: 7:59am On Sep 25, 2014
Not only compensation do we demand, apologies are needed too.
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by tuffgongjo(m): 8:00am On Sep 25, 2014
This is a good$welcome development,hope they will pay soon$hope some peeps won't try to sucker punch the dude?
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by philip0906(m): 8:01am On Sep 25, 2014
"Passport is passport"-i go dye

2 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by RockMaxi: 8:02am On Sep 25, 2014
The Committee however urged the Airline to reach an amicable settlement with the young man and
take necessary measures to avoid future occurrences.

Rubbish

4 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by dytbabe: 8:03am On Sep 25, 2014
I can't imagine how many nigerians have gone this way.
Lucky lad, probably knows someone that pushed his case forward, lots of similar cases must have bn forgotten.
Nice move btw

6 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by deflover(m): 8:03am On Sep 25, 2014
these airlines should be made to pay tru their nose so they will know they are not greater than us in any way.......i wonder why people fly them anyway.......
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by naijathings(m): 8:03am On Sep 25, 2014
Very good. Save your apologies and bring out your cheque book to pay the kid.

I hope the court make the airline pay dearly for their dirty work.
I hope the boy gets over $1 million in compensation so the airline people will sit up when next they attend to anyone carrying a Nigerian passport.

13 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by decode55(m): 8:03am On Sep 25, 2014
IMO, The compensation should be running into millions of dollars. undecided

That sh1t is like a scene from a horror movie menn..

2 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by GlorifiedTunde(m): 8:04am On Sep 25, 2014
gift01: She's my choice for Lagos Governor if the cabals will give her a chance. Abike Dabiri for Lagos 2015

But can she survive this political rigour? Being a rep isn't as political as a gubernatorial seat. Dora learnt from this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Commercial Bus Veers Into Ubu Osigbu Stream In Anambra (Photos, Video) / There Is No Difference Between Nigeria Air And MMM — Nigerians / Second Niger Bridge Opens To Vehicular Movements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.