Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,476 members, 7,861,377 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 11:04 AM

Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) (809 Views)

Tambuwal Probes The “Abduction” Of Patience Paul In Sokoto / Senators And Reps To Get 496 Cars / Salaries Of Federal And State Legislators - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 25, 2014
The recent scandal on bribery in the national assembly (Senate) got me thinking. This is not the first time bribery has been reported even though this one have not been proved.

The national assembly probes - Ministers presidents judiciary even traders. But who probe them when they are found wanting.

This arm of government in Nigeria is not defined at all. They make law and assign themselves of the responsibility of interpreting the law that may indict them.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by egift(m): 11:16am On Sep 25, 2014
@Topic: (Let me simply the relevant items)
- The Running and implementation the responsibilities of governance rest on the Executive.
- The Legislators make the laws and have the responsibilities by law to provide an over sight on the Executive.
- The House the set of rules that guides its seating, deliberations and entire activities. Include handling bribery, etc.
- If there negligence by the House leadership, the Police can take up investigation and prosecution.

It is important to note - who is offering the bribe?
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by horpe132(m): 11:25am On Sep 25, 2014
Seun pls we need d@ Law / Legal Dept on Nairaland !!!

:
:
: Tenx

2 Likes

Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 25, 2014
egift: @Topic: (Let me simply the relevant items)
- The Running and implementation the responsibilities of governance rest on the Executive.
- The Legislators make the laws and have the responsibilities by law to provide an over sight on the Executive.
- The House the set of rules that guides its seating, deliberations and entire activities. Include handling bribery, etc.
- If there negligence by the House leadership, the Police can take up investigation and prosecution.

Thank you for the points you have given.

Concerning the bribery issue, I have not in anyway heard the police say anything about investigation. The only thing I hear is the house talking about setting up a committee to investigate the matter. Which means they investigate themselves and make decision themselves about their findings.

Or is it that the police does not know that they are responsible for investigating criminal offences in the house.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 25, 2014
horpe132: Seun pls we need d@ Law / Legal Dept on Nairaland !!!

:
:
: Tenx
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by egift(m): 4:26pm On Sep 25, 2014
victorels: Thank you for the points you have given.

Concerning the bribery issue, I have not in anyway heard the police say anything about investigation. The only thing I hear is the house talking about setting up a committee to investigate the matter. Which means they investigate themselves and make decision themselves about their findings.

Or is it that the police does not know that they are responsible for investigating criminal offenses in the house.

As I stated, if the House fail to apply disciplinary measures anyone found to have collected bribe, the Police have the power to step in.

But the unfortunate part is that:
- Majority collected the bribe (as we saw in the voting pattern), they will do all they can to suppress the investigation.
- The Police that could step in are under the command of the alleged bribe giver.
- Even the IG of Police was screen by the House.
- Finally, with the level of corruption in all the 3 tiers of government, this may even be considered a drop in the ocean.

Summary, am not confident that anything will come out of this - considering the administration we have now.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
egift: @Topic: (Let me simply the relevant items)

In addition to this, we have The Police Force, the ICPC and EFCC who are required by law to fight graft, from stealing, to bribery, to contract splitting etc. The EFCC and ICPC are empowered to investigate, arrest and prosecute any alleged corrupt Officials of government including judges without recourse to any "Committee" or whatever except the President, Vice President, Governors and Deputy Governors, who by law enjoys immunity from arrest and prosecution while in office.
No legislator enjoys Immunity, not even the President of the Senate or Speaker of House of Reps. During Obj's regime, Senate President Adolphus Wabara was disgraced out of Office and prosecuted by Ribadu for "BRIBERY SCANDAL" along with many parliamentarians. In fact, judges were fired and a Police IGP.
This Administration and its officers are just too incompetent. They suck!!!

1 Like

Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
barcanista: In addition to this, we have The Police Force, the ICPC and EFCC who are required by law to fight graft, from stealing, to bribery, to contract splitting etc. The EFCC and ICPC are empowered to investigate, arrest and prosecute any alleged corrupt Officials of government including judges without recourse to any "Committee" or whatever except the President, Vice President, Governors and Deputy Governors, who by law enjoys immunity from arrest and prosecution while in office.
No legislator enjoys Immunity, not even the President of the Senate or Speaker of House of Reps. During Obj's regime, Senate President Adolphus Wabara was disgraced out of Office and prosecuted by Ribadu for "BRIBERY SCANDAL" along with many parliamentarians. In fact, judges were fired and a Police IGP.
This Administration and its officers are just too incompetent. They suck!!!

Your points are clear and direct.
But in my small position of leadership, I saw that the head is not always responsible for the subordinates misbehavior.

After this had happened, we are now hearing that the house has approved the amount requested by the president to fight terror.
I suspect the report.

My concern, though, is on why we have not heard the bodies you mentioned taking up the lead in investigating the issue. It seems to me that the house have an unwritten infinity. Only the speaker or senate president can dismiss a colleague in the house.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 25, 2014
victorels:

Your points are clear and direct.
But in my small position of leadership, I saw that the head is not always responsible for the subordinates misbehavior.

After this had happened, we are now hearing that the house has approved the amount requested by the president to fight terror.
I suspect the report.

My concern, though, is on why we have not heard the bodies you mentioned taking up the lead in investigating the issue. It seems to me that the house have an unwritten infinity. Only the speaker or senate president can dismiss a colleague in the house.
let me correct something sir, the Senate President have no power to dismiss any member in the Senate, same applies to Reps. A member can only be removed through recall by his/her constituents. Finito.
Secondly, the President is the Commander inChief. He appoints all security heads, they report to him and brief him. Since assumption to office no institution is working, not even the once vibrant efcc. So yes, the head takes the blame for everything.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Orunto: 7:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
Mr. President can send any security agent after any one of them once the suspicion is rife. President's exclusive power!
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by mainheart(m): 7:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
police, but Nigeria government is not strong enough. because if u no investigate a senator the way he want u should, only a phone call can dismiss the poor police
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
barcanista: let me correct something sir, the Senate President have no power to dismiss any member in the Senate, same applies to Reps. A member can only be removed through recall by his/her constituents. Finito.
Secondly, the President is the Commander inChief. He appoints all security heads, they report to him and brief him. Since assumption to office no institution is working, not even the once vibrant efcc. So yes, the head takes the blame for everything.

You are right. But what about the case of senate president declaring the seat of senators that attempted to dacamp vacant. That sounds to me like do what I say or I remove you.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 25, 2014
mainheart: police, but Nigeria government is not strong enough. because if u no investigate a senator the way he want u should, only a phone call can dismiss the poor police

Normal Nigerian Process of handling Issue. I have to believe that corruption in Government is a Nigerian issue and not individual Issue.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 25, 2014
victorels:

You are right. But what about the case of senate president declaring the seat of senators that attempted to dacamp vacant. That sounds to me like do what I say or I remove you.
SP can only do that if the member decamp to another party without following the constitution. However, it is not that easy, it is mostly the court that parties approach. SP doesn't av much powers over members as he can be kickedout at anytime.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by mainheart(m): 8:18am On Sep 26, 2014
victorels:

Normal Nigerian Process of handling Issue. I have to believe that corruption in Government is a Nigerian issue and not individual Issue.
YES bro. my thought also
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 26, 2014
barcanista: SP can only do that if the member decamp to another party without following the constitution. However, it is not that easy, it is mostly the court that parties approach. SP doesn't av much powers over members as he can be kickedout at anytime.

With what I saw on the senate, its like the members are afraid of the senate president or the power of being a majority is controlling the house.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by egift(m): 8:11pm On Sep 26, 2014
victorels: With what I saw on the senate, its like the members are afraid of the senate president or the power of being a majority is controlling the house.

Most time that fear is selfish to a large extent. If a member decides to confront the leadership of the House, they can deprive him of some committee assignments and other juicy opportunities, where most of the lawmakers get tons of money. In Nigeria, some those opportunities make them more money than their salary and bonuses combined.

2 Likes

Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 26, 2014
egift:

Most time that fear is selfish to a large extent. If a member decides to confront the leadership of the House, they can deprive him of some committee assignments and other juicy opportunities, where most of the lawmakers get tons of money. In Nigeria, some those opportunities make them more money than their salary and bonuses combined.

Point.

1 Like

Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 29, 2014
Deleted.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by drnoel: 7:01pm On Sep 29, 2014
egift:

As I stated, if the House fail to apply disciplinary measures anyone found to have collected bribe, the Police have the power to step in.

But the unfortunate part is that:
- Majority collected the bribe (as we saw in the voting pattern), they will do all they can to suppress the investigation.
- The Police that could step in are under the command of the alleged bribe giver.
- Even the IG of Police was screen by the House.
- Finally, with the level of corruption in all the 3 tiers of government, this may even be considered a drop in the ocean.

Summary, am not confident that anything will come out of this - considering the administration we have now.

but the police will rarely step in unless given directive by the executive...
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by egift(m): 7:10pm On Sep 29, 2014
drnoel:

but the police will rarely step in unless given directive by the executive...

In Nigeria most times the rule is bended, twisted and adjusted to the favour of our politicians. While punishing criminality is very straight forward, those that flout these laws, often times get away with their crime because even those that will offer punishment conveniently neglect it for personal interest and gratification.
Re: Who Probes The Legislators (senators And Reps) by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 29, 2014
egift:

In Nigeria most times the rule is bended, twisted and adjusted to the favour of our politicians. While punishing criminality is very straight forward, those that flout these laws, often times get away with their crime because even those that will offer punishment conveniently neglect it for personal interest and gratification.

for gain. Its call business. Political business.

(1) (Reply)

Fraud! Atm Charge Of N65 @ Access Bank Atm / Where Is The Impeached Nyako And His Genocide Letter / Buhari; The Achilles Heel Of Apc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.