Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,134 members, 7,845,770 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? (805 Views)

Meet Hadi Sirika Katsina Billionaire Tipped To Be Nigeria's Minister Of Aviation / Aisha Buhari: Why President-elect’s Wife May Not Be Nigeria’s Next First Lady / Buhari Will Never Be Nigeria President - Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Nov 05, 2008
He is Governor Donald Duke

Stepped down for President Yar'adua at OBJ's insistence but promised to continue the message of "Hope".

He is a Lawyer by training too

and Yes he can be our Obama, if only we can hope.

Join the movement and call on Governor Duke to change the face of Nigeria

Spearheading the incumbent debt of Nigeria, Duke pushed for democracy and against military control. He stated; "What got the military out of power was not democracy but the dreadful state of the economy. If we, the democratic government, cannot deliver food for the mass of people we can forget about democracy."[1]

Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by Frizy(m): 5:47pm On Nov 05, 2008
I used to really like this guy though, I wont mind at all if he becomes president now because I think he got a western perspective when it comes to infrastructural development.
Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by McKren(m): 6:14pm On Nov 05, 2008
I was also watching this guy during the PDP primary

Duke was blogging with Nigerians worldwide on the internet . . . . he had a big bus he was using to tour all parts of Nigeria . . . . there is every chance that he would have developed the needed frenzy to win.

He modelled his campaign on "hope and change" . . . . does that sound familiar

But our country refused to respond and Obj shut him out.

We all know how Calabar became the favourite x-mas destination for most Nigerians . . . . . this guy would have done a lot better than what we have.
Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by MrCrackles(m): 6:16pm On Nov 05, 2008
very much doubt it!

Obama has raised the bar and anyone looking to follow his footsteps has to think out of the box!
Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by EloSela(f): 6:23pm On Nov 05, 2008
If Duke were to become Nigeria's next president then it really wouldn't be a gound breaking feat like Obama. First of he is black like the rest of the countries populous unlike Obama.

Now if someone who happened to be of Indian, Oyibo or even Chinese descent but born in Nigeria decided to take run for President and won then that would be groundbreaking and on par with President Obama's success and be a changing experience in Nigeria. grin grin grin
Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:33pm On Nov 05, 2008
Blacks are more than 10% in the United States, what is the percentage of indians/oyinbos/chinese in Nigeria? For one of them to win presidency of Nigeria would be even more spectacular grin grin
Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 05, 2008
Guys the centrepiece here is "inspirational leader"

by the way the name "Donald Duke" is strange in Nigeria and Calabar is an ethnic minority.

But this is not just about doing the improbable . . . . . . . . but having a visionary leader
Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by PepERSprAY: 7:08pm On Nov 05, 2008
Guys the centrepiece here is "inspirational leader"

by the way the name "Donald Duke" is strange in Nigeria and Calabar is an ethnic minority.

But this is not just about doing the improbable . . . . . . . . but having a visionary leader

Same way blacks are ethnic minorities in America. As a matter of fact, blacks are now third in ethnic population in the US. Calabar ethnicity will not be a stumbling block for him unless he is not charismatic. Pat Utomi is charismatic and smart but he is not an eloquent speaker which is a very big factor to effect such a change. may be Orji Uzor Kalu, Festus Keyamo,Olisa Agbakoba,Dapo Sarumi and Nuhu Ribadu.
Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by Baro(m): 7:54pm On Nov 05, 2008
The closest to him right now is Adams Oshiomole, that guy is doing it in Edo State, you need to see countless Edolites  ready to die for him whenever he shows up in public. I pray the Court of Appeal's decision favours him, cos i look forward to him running for PRESIDENT, then he might just be our charismatic OBAMA.
Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by tpia: 8:47pm On Nov 05, 2008
The issue isnt whether someone is of Indian, Chinese or lebanese descent in order to be like Obama.

The key ingredient in Obama's portfolio is the fact that he's mixed.

So anyone shouting for a Nigerian Obama without bringing this fact into consideration, is being very unrealistic.

A Nigerian Obama has to be mixed, not homogenous.

Multicultural, not monocultural.

Not to mention the fact that in the US, the political infrastructure was already in place to support the transition. Do we have such in Nigeria?

If Donald Duke (who I admire), happens to run for the presidency, let it be on his own portfolio, which is impressive enough. He doesnt have to be an "Obama". Obama is the one who should try to emulate him. cheesy
Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by DavidDylan(m): 8:49pm On Nov 05, 2008
Baro:

The closest to him right now is Adams Oshiomole, that guy is doing it in Edo State, you need to see countless Edolites ready to die for him whenever he shows up in public. I pray the Court of Appeal's decision favours him, because i look forward to him running for PRESIDENT, then he might just be our charismatic OBAMA.

i've always wanted to know how Oshiomole was doing in Edo.
Re: Can He Be Nigeria's Obama? by PepERSprAY: 8:55pm On Nov 05, 2008
DavidDylan:

i've always wanted to know how Oshiomole was doing in Edo.
tsk tsk tsk, Botched attempt to become a governor through corrupt bureaucracy. That is Nigeria for you and I wonder why nobody is mentioning women like Dora Akunyili, Akerele, Ngozi iweala okonjo. I also think the only Nigerian that is overall is Brig General Ike Nwachuku rtd who has a yoruba wife, Igbo father and Hausa mother.

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Joining Benin Rep! Hmm Have Ur Say Plz / 3 Truckloads Of Soldiers Sighted In Ado Ekiti.yar’adua’s A Liar / Goodluck Jonathan Plots To Take Over Nitel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.