Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

The Concept Of Home. 'overhyped? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Concept Of Home. 'overhyped? (794 Views)

The Federal Road Safety Commission Has Just Come Out With The Concept Of “ICE” / In Search Of Home Cooking..., A Nairalander's Trip To Columbus (picts) / Is Malaysia Overhyped? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Concept Of Home. 'overhyped? by cronsberg: 1:02am On Sep 26, 2014
Many people have many different definitions of "home". Some say it is where you are born, others say it is where your family and friends are, many also say it is where your heart belongs or where you are most comfortable or simply where you feel at home. I tend to agree more with the "home is where your heart belongs(most comfortable)".
We Nigerians, more than any other people attach too much significance to what we call home. But why is it so? I guess because you feel attached to the place you are born in, feel attached because your family lives in that place, your friends and everything you know is from there, so you identify it as home. But here is why i think that concept is flawed. What if your are no longer comfortable at "home", what if you are no longer wanted/welcome at "home", what if you become an outcast at "home". Will it still be home?
Alternatively, what if your heart belongs to a different place, you feel more comfortable and welcome in that different place, you feel more attached to that place. Can it be home? i hope you are getting my drift.
The reason why i say home is where your heart belongs and not necessarily a particular geographical location is that every human being today is where they are because they identified home as where you are most comfortable at, not the location you were born.
Example:
1.The current people of indonesia and malaysia has their original home around the madagascar islands, but they found more comfort in the southeast asian islands and thus made it their home
2. 99% of white americans where originally europeans, but were persecuted and unwelcome, thus they found comfort in the new world and made it their home.
3. Majority of Argentinians, Chileans and most south americans were Spaniards and Portugese who made south america their home
4. Even us Nigerians, most of our ancestors were not originally from here, but they left their "home" and made new home for themselves somewhere else.
My point is that most of the geographical locations in this world got their populations by means of migrations and other people leaving their homes and making new ones somewhere different.
Another classic example is the Jews, they left the only "home" they knew and made europe, both north and south america their new home.

So with the examples above, if home is the place where you are most comfortable in, and not where you are born in, then why do we Nigerians and in extension other africans attach too much importance/emotions to where we are born? even though the places we are born are not the most comfortable of locations, sometimes we are even outcasts in the place we are born, sometimes the places we are born is downright unfit/inhosbitable for human settling either harsh weather, or harsh human wickedness. Why not make new homes for ourselves? in places we can be more comfortable and live more healthier just like our ancestors did?
Now i am not advocating for a mass exodus of humans to more suitable environments, but i am just trying to make a point that you don't have to be born and grow up and eventually die in a particular location. If the place you are born(home) doesn't do it for you anymore, or doesn't feel like home anymore, then its perfectly natural to make a new home for yourself in a more comfortable location as you deem fit. No law says you must remain where you are for eternity. God's earth is wide and open, free your mind and find your home.

Thats only my opinion anyway. Give your own opinions, do you agree? or not agree. give your reasons.
Re: The Concept Of Home. 'overhyped? by Nobody: 1:08am On Sep 26, 2014
Home...It isn't always one's birthplace. Just as family isn't always blood.
'Nuff said.

I commented first BTW. Yay! cheesy
Re: The Concept Of Home. 'overhyped? by tpia1: 2:35am On Sep 26, 2014
considering someplace your "home" doesnt mean you are not still a guest there though.
Re: The Concept Of Home. 'overhyped? by Nobody: 3:15am On Sep 26, 2014
cronsberg:
Thats only my opinion anyway. Give your own opinions, do you agree? or not agree. give your reasons.
I think ''home'' as a concept is beyond where one lives or belong .... I think it is where one's heart belong to regardless of what another place entirely offers thus Home is beyond comfortability , it is Heart !!

Some Nigerian in Diaspora never wish to return here again for $1million because they already found Home in another place entirely while some despite the comfortability abroad offers them and far beyond that of Nigeria, they still dream and yearn home(naija) on daily basis !!

Nigeria is my one and only Home and while any other place is merely for economic benefit !!

I think it is also possible to have more than one home ?
Re: The Concept Of Home. 'overhyped? by pansophist(m): 10:17am On Sep 26, 2014
The concept of home is not overhyped (at least I think so). My own definition of home is

Anyplace you have a sense of belonging (language, culture, traditions, beliefs), sense of attachment (families, job, business) and a place you are willing to defend and pay an allegiance too.

The feeling of home is broad and differs, but most of the people that still do not regard their adopted residence as ''home'' in most cases might be lacking some of OR all the ''components'' of what makes one comfortable anywhere they are.

(1) (Reply)

Canada Visa Processing/application / Arik Shouldn't Be An Airline / Traveling To Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.