Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,642 members, 7,820,251 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Author Michael Crichton Is Dead - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Author Michael Crichton Is Dead (1210 Views)

Excerpts From The Unseen Terrorist  An Exposé Published By Author House UK / Stephen Covey, "7 Habits" Author, Dies At 79 / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by BabyJinx: 8:14pm On Nov 05, 2008
Michael Crichton, the million-selling author of such historic and prehistoric science thrillers as "Jurassic Park," "Timeline" and "The Andromeda Strain," has died of cancer, his family said.

He died Tuesday in Los Angeles at age 66 after a long battle with the illness.

Chrichton was a brand-name author, known for his stories of disaster and systematic breakdown, such as the rampant microbe of "The Andromeda Strain" or dinosaurs running amok in "Jurassic Park," one of his many books that became major Hollywood movies.

"Through his books, Michael Crichton served as an inspiration to students of all ages, challenged scientists in many fields, and illuminated the mysteries of the world in a way we could all understand," his family said in a statement.

The 6-foot-9-inch author was also a screenwriter and filmmaker, earning producing and writing credits for the film versions of many of his titles. He also created the TV hospital series "ER" in 1994.

In recent years, he was the rare writer to get on well with President Bush, perhaps because of his skepticism about global warming, which Crichton addressed in the 2004 novel, "State of Favor." Crichton's views were strongly condemned by environmentalists, who alleged that the author was hurting efforts to pass legislation to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide.

A new novel by Crichton had been tentatively scheduled to come next month, but publisher HarperCollins said the book was postponed indefinitely because of his illness.

"While the world knew him as a great storyteller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us — and entertained us all while doing so — his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes," his family said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_en_ot/obit_crichton
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by doyin13(m): 11:53pm On Nov 05, 2008
Eeeya. . . .this man tried oo

Wrote prolly my fave whodunit. . . .A Case of Need

RIP
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by HRhotness(f): 11:05am On Nov 06, 2008
Just read about it, how sad

he was one of my fav writers sad
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by Gamine(f): 12:25pm On Nov 06, 2008
Awww cry cry cry cry

And I was talking about Him with one Pesin, few nights ago oooooh cry cry cry cry
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by meexteriox(m): 4:11pm On Nov 06, 2008
Saw it on CNN. Great storyteller, his art of description is simply breathtaking.
Adieu, MICHAEL CRICHTON, rest in peace.
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by doyin13(m): 11:12pm On Nov 06, 2008
Gamine:

Awww cry cry cry cry

And I was talking about Him with one Pesin, few nights ago oooooh cry cry cry cry

who was that?? angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by Tgirl4real(f): 10:39am On Nov 07, 2008
Doyin13,

where are u naa cheesy
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by Gamine(f): 1:24pm On Nov 07, 2008
Why do we have so many amebos on this NL

its amazing undecided undecided
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by nwadinma(f): 2:59pm On Nov 07, 2008
oh my, he was my best author for years.
i got so enchanted by his writing style that ibought and read every of his book. my library is adorned by his book.
i have lost a great author.
may his soul rest in peace. amen.
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by kay9(m): 6:15pm On Nov 07, 2008
I know I should have replied to this post days ago, but there were so MANYYYYYY other things to handle - like a day-job. I grew up on Michael Crichton, from Congo, through The Andromeda Strain and Jurassic Park, down to Prey (which was the last I read before my life got too crowded for 24-hours novel-jacking). Crichton was a scientist, a REAL one, and that made his books an exception in the world of Sci-Fi novels. His last novel (for me, anyway smiley), PREY, which took a stab at the fast-developing science of Nanotechnlogy, aptly underscores this fact. But Michael Crichton was also more than a scientist he was a superb story-teller, one who had the gift of turning an eternally-boring Biology lecture into a fast-paced thriller - Jurassic Park.

Michael Crichton will be sorely missed by fans world-wide; we sure miss him here at Lit-Nlnd.

RIP. cry
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by doyin13(m): 8:01pm On Nov 07, 2008
kay9:

I know I should have replied to this post days ago, but there were so MANYYYYYY other things to handle - like a day-job. I grew up on Michael Crichton, from Congo, through The Andromeda Strain and Jurassic Park, down to Prey (which was the last I read before my life got too crowded for 24-hours novel-jacking). Crichton was a scientist, a REAL one, and that made his books an exception in the world of Sci-Fi novels. His last novel (for me, anyway smiley), PREY, which took a stab at the fast-developing science of Nanotechnlogy, aptly underscores this fact. But Michael Crichton was also more than a scientist he was a superb story-teller, one who had the gift of turning an eternally-boring Biology lecture into a fast-paced thriller - Jurassic Park.

Michael Crichton will be sorely missed by fans world-wide; we sure miss him here at Lit-Nlnd.

RIP. cry

I thot his books on science were alrite i guess. . .but his social issue books were very controversial
I thought and of more interest to moi.

More than a few of my friends thought Rising Sun was inherently racist at worst or paranoid at best
as much as Disclosure was sexist
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by spikedcylinder: 12:45pm On Nov 08, 2008
Tgirl4real:

Doyin13,

where are u naa cheesy

Good luck with getting an interview from him, or berra still, getting anything true and concrete. cheesy
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by asitis(f): 12:48pm On Nov 08, 2008
May his soul rest in peace cry cry cry
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by Gamine(f): 12:52pm On Nov 08, 2008
Yeah,

May he. cry cry cry

still spoke about him last night, i feel i killed him

cry cry
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by spikedcylinder: 2:29pm On Nov 08, 2008
Gamine:

Yeah,

May he. cry cry cry

still spoke about him last night, i feel i killed him

cry cry

Yes, you killed him with your bad mouth. tongue tongue cheesy
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by Gamine(f): 3:05pm On Nov 08, 2008
Not fair

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by Shaz(f): 10:35pm On Nov 08, 2008
Aww. .well things have to happen.
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by kay9(m): 10:54pm On Nov 08, 2008
Hey, hey, c'mon girls, quit bickering; 'tis a literary legend we's talking bout here. Mickey's gonna roll over 6-feet down if he catches wind of what y'all are yacking.
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by spikedcylinder: 11:23am On Nov 10, 2008
Oya sorry for my disrespect. May he RIP. sad
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by vescucci(m): 3:01pm On Nov 10, 2008
I've seen this thread for three days now but only got the gumption to post. I'm all cried out now. I love this dude and frankly I thought the odds were that he'd outlive other authors of his calibre. What calibre sef? He's in a world of his own. I keep his books like I do textbooks. A real literary great. He's the only author I reall y wanna be like. It's just so sad.
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by kay9(m): 8:35am On Nov 11, 2008
spikedcylinder:

Oya sorry for my disrespect. May he RIP. sad
No sweat; just be a good girl, else. . .

@ V: Weep not child. . . smiley
Re: Author Michael Crichton Is Dead by lynxnoon(m): 11:45pm On Nov 16, 2008
heya sad sad sad sad sad
anyhw sha MAY HIS SOUL RIP

(1) (Reply)

London Town II / Looking For Good Stories To Publish, African Story Tellers, Documentary Plots, / "The Beauty Of Love"-by Linusclark..plz Read Diz Story And Drop A Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.